Baudelaire IO - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Baudelaire IOBaudelaire IO

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 10-27-2009)

Lynux, Apr 20, 2012

JustinMatthew, Apr 20, 2012

tykechandler, Sep 12, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Excited to try the new one from JP. The pour is healthy, lively and robust, light ruby in color with a wispy pink pillow of head - really fresh looking and inviting. Amazing nose of oak and must mingled with subtle rosy floral notes, some citrus and berry overtones, and mellow dusty herbal hops - top notch. Fresh as can be at first sip - really full of flavor, slightly tart, funky, accentuated by the tangy rose hips, hay fields and oak barrel, excellent floral notes of rose and hibiscus (not that I know what hibiscus tastes like really), all melding well with a dry herbaceous hop profile. Really explosive flavors yet so mellow and everything comes together. Dry yet quenching, prickly refreshing moutheel and super refreshing. A near perfect beer in my opinion, just great all around. Read the back of the label - these guys are serious about their beer. Art in a glass really.

twelvsies, Apr 05, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head. In the aroma, green apple sweet and pinch of sourness with hints of cinnamon spice. In the taste, green apple sweet and that pinch of tartness, cinnamon spice bite and somewhat flowery. A sour bite with a small to medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry flowery and sourness in the aftertaste. Almost like a cider and /or wine. I loved it. I love you, Jolly Pumpkin!!

OWSLEY069, Jul 23, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

750 ml into Lost Abbey tulip, shared with SourSunday.

Blend 1, bottled 1-11-2011

A: strong two finger head (and rising) above a dark burnt orange body. The head looks like whip cream on top of a home-made Pumpkin pie. Two fingers worth is just the right amount of whip cream. Lively carbonation is visually apparent. this beer is itself, a jolly pumpkin.

S: Really sweet earth funk. Smells like fancy mushrooms thrown around in a pan of sweet wines and peppercorns. A real amazingly salty plantain note rides my nose for days after I sniff. This brew has a really salty linger, I can almost feel the sand under my feet. really a quality nose-full, not restrained at all, but also not sloppy at all. Very fancy and very strong.

T: Very mild earthy vegetables. Sweet front of jicama and rustic baked potatoes, seared turnips in rosewater. with the faintest rhubarb sweetness. a Light sweet and sour tang lingers in the mouth like a sweet Tennessee dry-rub. Ground black pepper, paprika, and sweet green chilies pay a visit. A super mellow hickory sweetness kinda rocks my world, and bay leaves add just enough spiciness for me to not get bored with earthy notes. I think this is exceptional, a flavor bomb behind a curtain of subtlety.

M: this has enough carbonation for two beers. Super solid long-lasting and fizzy through the finish. This thing has kept a filmy head since it was poured. This beer is alive, and the mouth-feel lets you know it. Solid body that lightens due to the air in the bubbles. The body is the foundation for all the flavor, and the bubbles make you think this thing is floating on a cloud. Just money.

O: A deliciously earthy delight. There is a lot going on in this bottle, and I'm sure I missed a lot of it. I think this beer requires a college class to decipher. Monumental complexity that is testament to the quality of the brewers hand. My taste buds are tantalized, my mouth is mystified, and my something else is something elsed. No more reading, go get your hands on a bottle of this. Fantastic.

Cavery, Jul 01, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: a hazy reddish color. two fingers of a pink head that sticks around. very good looking beer. not like anything ive seen before.

Smell: florals, spiciness, funky yeast

Taste: a nice floral taste first, from the rose petals, followed by the classic jolly pumpkin saison. spiciness and funky yeast. quite tasty

Mouthfeel: surprisingly not sticky at all and extremely light.

Overall: a great and unique beer. really enjoyed this one.

SportsandJorts, Jun 13, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A: This is a gusher, but manageable to poor. Which is par for the course with JP. Pours a beautiful hazed dark ruby color. A two finger pink tinted head forms with excellent retention. Rings of lace. This is a looker.
S: I love the aroma. Very floral up front. Tangy, spicy hibiscus aromas. Lightly acidic, with tart dark cherries, and other fruits like pears and apples. funky yeast as well. Excellent.
T: Follows the nose. The flowers are very apparent along with the hibiscus specifically. Slightly sweet and tangy with a nice spice. Acidic with some dark fruits. Tart cherries, plums, pears, and apples. Light funk. Everything is so balanced, and nothing overpowers.
M/D: A medium body that is very effervescent and dry. Just a bit thin, but not bad. So easy and enjoyable to drink. The slight puckering makes me want to keep coming back, and the balance is excellent.

This is Jolly Pumpkin at its best. An excellent spin on a saison that works perfectly. Something I love and highly recommend.

champ103, Apr 17, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Blend 1, 1/11/11. This is a seriously beautiful beer, it truly is a "red saison." Outstanding color. In a flute glass, it might pass for a rose but for the fact that it's a hazy from not having been filtered. Like rose Champagne with some strawberry preserves thrown in. Carbonated? Yes, this is Jolly Pumpkin - big fizzy head on the pour, one that sticks around and leaves some lacing.

Varied nose - some whiffs yield sweet strawberry, some rose petals, others some unmistakable sweaty, musky Brettanomyces. This saison is squarely on the "wild side." I also get a little cinnamon and nutmeg. So a flowery, spicy, sweaty, fruity nose then. It sounds unfocused, but it's exquisite.

I'm sure some other company uses the tagline "Always An Adventure," otherwise I'd suggest it for Jolly Pumpkin. These beers are for contemplative, serious drinking. If you throw this down in a loud, smoky bar you might miss a lot of what it has to offer. This is one you spend an hour or so with, teasing out the various micro-flavors. Right up front, it's pretty bitter/hoppy and crushed-aspirin medicinal, similar to a fresh Orval. Midway through, I feel like I'm eating flowers, as I get a very pithy, floral/weedy flavor. Tart strawberries and old saddle leather round it out to a very dry finish - this is one dry beer. Which I like, to me that's essential in a saison.

Feels sharp and thin on the palate, like many Jolly Pumpkin beers. Stinging carbonation, which you would expect for the style, but body might be a shade light for a 6.8% beer. Not a huge flaw in my book, as this does make for some very crisp, refreshing drinking.

If I can't score a saison a 4.0 or above in drinkability, I tend to view it as a failure. Not so here, this is highly drinkable with the caveat that you have to like your dry, Brett-y beers. This is brewing art, and I'm glad to have enjoyed a bottle.

Patrick999, Apr 17, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to OHLRangers for the chance to split this amazing brew with my dad and brother-in-law.

a: This was a clear coppery color with golden edges. It poured with a large, moderately sticky, fizzy cap.

s: Musty, earthy floral aromas are what I noticed first. There is also a fairly pronounced funky note that comes from what I'm guessing is the bret. Crackers, grain, and tart fruit aromas all emerge as this warms.

t: This is easily one of the best funky saisons I recall trying. Pronounced mustily tart fruit flavors come through in a big way. Lots of cherries, apricots, and a little sour apple. Wet grains and prickly leafy hops add a nice tingle at the finish. I think I also taste a little oaky tobacco. The floral qualities are more subtle here, but they help dry this out even further.

m: Fizzy, champagne like carbonation lends itself perfectly to a beer like this.

d: My dad had some reservations, but Eric and I loved it. I'm really glad I got to try this, the folks at JP should be proud of this one.

DIM, Apr 17, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Blend 7/8 Bottled 2/3/11

I thought I had missed this beer and low and behold I found it at one of my locals. I would have been really dissapointed not to get to try a fantatic saison by one of the best American brewers of Saisons.

Poured a capped 750ml into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a amber honey with a massive 4 inch head that leaves some serious lacing down the sides of the glass. The head retention is fantastic. About a 1/2 inch of a foamy cap always sticks around for the entirety of the bottle. The aroma is amazing. Up front is a nice earthy brett. Damp earth with just a little must. I like to call it old closet. Layers of smells underneath the brett. Up front, are sweet berries almost a mix between strawberries and raspberries. Just a bit of sweet tartness. Underneath that you get a bit of honey with a subtle grassy/graininess. With the first sip, you get a big brett presence. I wonder what brett strains they used. Up front I get a bit of damp earth mixed with musty clothes. Then there is this tropical fruit sweetness, almost along the lines of pineapple. Several flavors work well with the brett. There is a nice floralness that I cant pinpoint if it actually comes from the rose/hibiscus or is a result of some sort of hop they use. Really amazing. The mouthfeel is creamy up front and finishes a bit dry. I wish it finished just a bit drier but honestly that's a little thing. Overall, its another fantastic beer by Jolly Pumpkin.

hwwty4, Aug 12, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This pours a ruddy amber in the glass.

The aroma is directly, distinctly sour with a sharp funk.

Tastes sour in the most wonderful of ways too. Sharply sour, with that now-cliché ‘barnyard funk’ coming across, followed with a great finish. An intriguing beer. One I’d be happy to revisit!

elNopalero, May 18, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a beer! Let it warm a bit out of the fridge first. Then poured with a voluminous, billowy, frothy, foamy, fluffy, cream colored head that lasts all the way down and loads of clingy lace. Color is a hazy, pink tinged amber. Aroma is yeast, floral, earth, malt. Flavor's like nose, plus the JP trademark tartness which is more balanced in this case with just enough sweetness and yeast bitterness. Body and carbonation are great. Finish is clean, like flavor, and of average length. Superb saison with some interesting twists!

drpimento, Nov 07, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blend 1 Bottled 1-11-2011. Pours a very pretty orangish red color with a very large white head with a hint of orange-cream color to it. The head is very frothy and doesn't go down any time quickly. Scent is quite funky with some earthy notes and spices. I get a bit of citrus as well as floral notes and hops. This scent is very inviting. Taste is very unique. I get a lot of berry flavors and funky yeast with some nice grassy notes. Lightly tart fruit flavors with earthy spiciness and citrus hoppiness. The floral notes compliment all the other flavors very nicely. Finishes with some more tart berries, bready notes, and more mellow funk. The mouthfeel is well carbonated and quite dry. Very refreshing. Drinkability is high. Overall, this beer blew me away. Amazing complexity in flavor and aroma. A very different and outstanding brew.

DovaliHops, Mar 24, 2011