2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baudelaire IO - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Baudelaire IOBaudelaire IO

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 10-27-2009)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 443 | Reviews: 177 | Show All Ratings:
AlexFields

Tennessee

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a complex reddish orangish brownish color with a substantial off white head made of large bubbles, a steady stream of bubbles flowing up from the bottom of the glass. Yep, she's a purty one!

Smells more sour than I was expecting--very tart, lots of brett too. I get pear and banana and apple and grape, some flowers, something faintly peppery, and a pretty healthy amount of funk. Not hard to believe this is a Jolly Pumpkin beer.

Taste opens with lots of tart grape, fades into some funky flowers and pepper, finishes with more fruit (pear/apple). Fairly sour up front but finishes a little more sweet. Spicy brett really comes out in the aftertaste. Only sweet for a second, pretty dry overall (more dry than acidic). Quite complex, and damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is great, tons of carb, you can feel it bubbling on the tongue. Very drinkable, refreshing even.

I like this!

8.5/10

03-12-2013 23:38:54 | More by AlexFields
CloudStrife

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

25.4 oz bottle split and poured into a snifter. Bottled 02-10-2012. Gusher.

A: Pours a hazy amber ruby with a giant puffy white head. Quite dense. Lots of visible carbonation. Head dissipates in the course of a few minutes leaving some nice lacing.

S: The rose really comes through on this brew and the wild yeast has kicked it up a few notches.

T: This is an enjoyable beer, really get the floral rose taste with the saison blend and a fairly intense sour taste. Adds a farmhouse dimension. Very different and quite tasty. I like the rose and brett compliment.

M: Lots of carbonation as shown with the appearance. Crisp finish that is pretty refreshing. Reminds me of a champagne on the tongue. So easy drinking.

Overall has the classic Jolly Pumpkin taste with their yeast strains but also a great rose petal addition. Very tasty and quite drinkable.

02-21-2013 02:05:30 | More by CloudStrife
StoutHunter

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Baudelaire IO a couple weeks ago for $13.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been just now starting to get into these Jolly Pumpkin beers, and I wanted to get something different that I normally wouldn't buy and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Release, I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's got a nice and artsy look to it that makes it look pretty fancy, it reminds of a fancy wine label. It poured a nice redish brown color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of fluffy slightly pink head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most and there's a slightly noticeable hibiscus aroma in the background. Up next comes that signature Jolly Pumpkin yeast that imparts a nice and funky aroma with some oak aromas in the background, This beer had a very nice aroma, I really liked the balance between the fruity and funky aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by that same fruity aspect that I got in the aroma with no single fruit sticking out more than the other and there's a nice and lighter oaky flavor hanging around in the background. Up next comes the Jolly Pumpkin yest that adds just the right amount of funky flavors to this beer with some hibiscus like flavors in the background. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with some nice lighter tartness taking it's place that has a Brett like flavor to it with a funky and fruity aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer, all the flavors worked really well together.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, crisp, fairly tart, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very good example of a funky Farmhouse style Saison, I tend to like my Saison's with a little bit of funk to them so I ended up really liking the balance of the typical Saison with the funky and fruity flavors, it was nicely done. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have any problem drinking the whole bottle to myself, no need to share this one. What I liked the most about this beer was pretty much everything, in my opinion this beer didn't have a weak point. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, at $14 it's a little on the expensive side and that would prevent me from buying it as much as I would like, I think $9 or $10 would be the perfect price. I would for sure buy this beer again, if i see another bottle at the beer store I will pick it up to see how it changes over time, but for $14 it's more of a special occasion type of beer for me. I would recommend this to any Jolly Pumpkin fans or anybody who likes a funkier Saison. All in all I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it was pretty impressive. Jolly Pumpkin did a great job with this beer and it's now up there as one of my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers and it might just be one of the best funkier Saisons that I've had so far. Good job guys this is one great beer.

10-03-2013 20:39:21 | More by StoutHunter
SundaySour

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Shared with Cavery. And it must also be noted, that I am drinking this mainly because Baudelaire is a kick-ass poet.

A: A hot coal shade of red and orange, with a dense cream colored head. Purdy as a picture.

S: The tart scent of cherries, and I am briefly having happy memory spasms of The Duchesse de Bourgogne. I'd be a lying scoundrel if I said I really caught the scent of rose hips. It kind of smells like the rosemary bread they serve at Macaroni Grill, which don't lie, you love.

T: At first, you think you're chugging a sour. Then, here comes Captain Floral. I am still not picking up rose, but again, rosemary bread. Finishes with a fabulous bready taste. Complex and savory, with that hot bread flavor.

M: Crispy and super fizzy. I like anything that makes me think of champagne, so high-five Jolly Pumpkin.

O: I'm completely author-biased, but hot damn if this isn't a crisp and surprising treat. I still never really caught on to all the florals they so lovingly threw into the vat (which I'm sure looked like a really elegant beer hot tub), but who cares? This beer makes me feel happy, happy feelings.

07-01-2011 04:29:21 | More by SundaySour
litheum94

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 1018. Bottled 2/10/12.

A giant, foamy, merengue-like head, slightly pink tinged. Hazy, copper body. Head takes forever to settle, like most JP beers.

Pronounced funk, with lemon zest and an earthy must.Very floral, with aromas of rose water and hibiscus tea. Slight pepper as well.

Very floral and slightly vegetal (probably from the rose hips). Delicate, rose water flavors, with tropical, bright, hibiscus flavors. There's an underlying funk, with musty earth flavors and some lemon. Slight pepper and other spices on the finish.

A great saison, with some amazing flavors. I've been disappointed by JP many times, but this is a winner from them.

04-26-2012 03:29:17 | More by litheum94
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

'There are women who inspire you with the desire to conquer them and to take your pleasure of them; but this one fills you only with the desire to die slowly beneath her gaze."

from "The Desire to Paint"

Pours red with burnt orange hues. Froth is sheet-like with tiny bubbles. Funk, pepper, perfumy florals, vanilla cake and a back splash of hops to the nose. Somewhat grainy up front and dry. A mixture of light and dark fruits interplay fluidly with some spice, pepper, hibiscus and a slight barnyardy essence. Aftertaste is a little bitter with some phenols involved. Grows slightly tart after a while. Light to medium bodied and goes down easy. The added ingredients (rose petals/hibiscus) work quite well in this interesting take on one of my favorite styles. Add in the top-notch artwork as tribute to one of my most revered poets, and I could die slowly beneath the gaze of this brew all day long.

09-24-2012 23:40:04 | More by stephens101
SpdKilz

Review 200!

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a lovely auburn hue into my Bell's Tulip. Thankfully this is not a gusher, having been in my refrigerator for a good three weeks. About two fingers of white, bubbly head is achieved with a cautious pour. This slowly dissipates leaving nice, thin lines of lacing.

Smell - Ahh, the stereotypical Jolly Pumpkin scent. I get an immense rush of sour cherries surrounded by classic barnyard funk. Slight floral aromas are present the more I allow this to warm up, but overall it would appear to be a tart smelling "sour" beer. Can't wait to taste it.

Taste - The initial taste is a burst of tart fruits such as sour/dark cherries, plums, and just a hint of raisins. After the tartness there is a mid-taste barnyard funk reminiscent of damp hay. This then melds with the floral scents and spices from the nose which bring to mind clove, ginger, and a hint of pepper. I really, really like this beer.

Mouthfeel - Relatively light, almost Champaign like with the loads of carbonation that prickle the tongue. Rather enjoyable for the way this beer tastes and is presented.

Drinkability - Immensely. I am sitting here attempting not to quaff this delicious beer I have been waiting quite some time to try. I wish I could get my hands on some more of this but I highly doubt it at this point in time. Recommended. Jolly Pumpkin and their unique style makes me want more and more of their beer all the time. Excellent.

06-02-2010 01:17:09 | More by SpdKilz
BieresDesMoines

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a hazy golden with a good head and good lace. The aroma has the funky jolly pumpkin house character with the lemon zest, lemon rind, horse blanket and farm yard aromas. The flavor is jammy and mildly sour with woody and earthy notes and a mild spiciness. Very tasty beer.

12-20-2010 18:28:38 | More by BieresDesMoines
getgetgettleman

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Reviewed from notes of 4/16/11. I picked up the last 2 bottles at Kappys Liquor on Rt. 1.

Blend 6. Bottled 1/27/11

A = Amber red color with pink hues in the light. Visible carbonation. Cloudy. Tight 2 finger head. Thick lace.

S = Hops, perfume/flower/rose hips, sour earthy funk but pleasant.

T = Pickled vegetables, flowers, slight fruit note. Cherry? Organic earth funk mix.

M = Good body. Carbonated and bubbley on the front end. Mild dry earthy sweetness on the back end.

O = I really liked this. One of the most pleasantly interesting Saisons I have had in a long time. The organic funk taste and nose may not be for everyone. There is alot going on in terms of sour flavors, but it isn't over the top in terms of earthy-ness. Just the right amount for my taste! If I can get more of this I certainly will! :)

05-05-2011 01:01:14 | More by getgetgettleman
Patrickbrusil

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: hazy deep auburn in color with a nice creamy off white head. I almost get a slight deep pink color off of the side of the glass but my mind might be playing tricks.

Smell: the live yeast that JP uses is very present giving a rustic smell of fresh cut, wet even, hay.

Taste: very interesting. The rose hips and petals and hibiscus blend really well with the slight sour character. Delicious really. I was not expecting this. It is mild and flavorful all at once with some slight bit of a peach flavor and appricote as well. I'm sure that is coming from the hips, petals and so forth but a very unique taste.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated front to back and overall she is refreshing.

It doesn't blow me away. I'll never cry if indent drink it again but would never turn it down.

05-11-2011 01:10:57 | More by Patrickbrusil
alleykatking

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from 750ml bottle. Thanks go out to gratefulbeerhead for this bottle. You rock Eric!

A- Poured a nice amber color with light pink hues overall. Three finger white head shows great retentino. Huge rocky chunks of lace left on the sides of the glass.

S- Floral in the nose right off the bat. Rose petal and hibiscus really come off in the front with hints of cracked pepper. Light oak toward the middle with hints of vanilla. Ending of the aroma shows big green apple aroma with a ton of barnyard funk. Light alcohol which I expected more to be honest.

T- Green apples on the front of the beer with a floral flavor which reminds me of rose petals. Hints of black pepper on the final part of the front. Middle shows off some light funk along with oak and vanilla. Green apple comes out more with that typical Jolly Pumpkin funk to it. Alcohol shows some light funk as well on the ending.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is lively and good for the style. Rose petals, light malt, and hints of funk left on the palate. Funky alcohol, hints of oak, and green apple are left long into the aftertaste. Flavors were actually well blended and felt no stop and jerk flavor profile. No off flavors were present although the green apple might have been a light off flavor. Medium heavy alcohol drying left on the palate.

O- This was a wonderful saison. Jolly Pumpkin makes a great tasting beer it seems at times without even trying. The ABV is a little on the light side which makes this beer easy drinking. Nice tasting beer for the summertime nights!

06-28-2011 06:26:10 | More by alleykatking
SupaCelt

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Welcome this is a farmhouse...

Blend 7/8 bottled 2-4-11
The pour deposits an amber orange tinted beer. Spitty spatters of lacing, one making the shape of a duck, cling to the glass above the remaining head biscuit. Bubbles. Tiny bubbles.

The nose throws the trademark sour acidity of JP. Wild and woody with a little bit of subtlety in the way of the rose hips and hibiscus that were introduced into the fray. Nothing overt from these ingredients.

The taste is sour and woody again first and foremost. The flower qualities, although very late to manifest, come through much more noticeably in the flavor than they do in the nose. There is a very flower petal remnant like quality that coats the tongue and grows in presence after the swallow trickles down the pipe. Interesting. Unsurprisingly so.

The mouthfeel is perhaps a touch thinner than anticipated, yet manages to lay a crispness that makes the flowery elements bloom across the palate.

Overall, this beer is quite an enjoyable one. Complexities may not be glaring but this brand of beer is brash in the house character fashion and the subtleties need to be patiently awaited while the up front qualities run their course. It really is delicate underneath the initial assertiveness. Nicely done. Worth a ride...

07-06-2011 02:58:09 | More by SupaCelt
Knapp85

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer poured out as a deep cloudy amber color with a nice head on top. The lacing was nice and sticky. The smell was a little herbal, has a little Belgian yeast on the nose also some floral farmhouse notes. The taste is floral and has plenty of typical saison flavors. The mouthfeel was bubbly and yet remains soft. Overall the beer tasted unique, it had a nice aroma and all in all I thought it was really interesting. Nicely done.

07-17-2011 03:04:07 | More by Knapp85
brdc

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Many thanks to OHLRangers for his incredible generosity.

Large capped bottle, poured into a tulip.
Very dark golden, red tinted beer, with a foamy off white head that drops down rather quickly.
It had been a while since my last saison, and the aroma reminded me of spring; funky, earthy, herbal, grassy.
Light on the palate, nicely carbonated, but by no means watery, this is one refreshing and easy to drink beer.
Fruity, but not sweet, tart and earthy, with some spices.
Not terribly complex, but one of the easiest saisons to drink I ever found.

04-30-2010 23:59:53 | More by brdc
sweemzander

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Batch #389.

(A)- Pours a clear yet hazy brown amber color with ruby red highlights. Produced a good white head that dissipated after a little bit. Some lacing left behind. Seriously one of the darkest colored saisons I have seen.

(S)- A floral aroma with a lightly funky hay/brett-like aroma. Very floral actually from the rose petals and hibiscus. A light fruit tart sweetness at the end.

(T)- Backwards a bit from the smell. Some good berry-like tart fruits up front that flow into a light dry hay/bitter funk. Floral.

(M)- A bit of a lower carbonation level than expected from the style. A good balance of lightly tart fruits and dry hay funk. Rather smooth, yet a bit thinner than expected.

(D)- An interesting take on the style. Much more fruit driven than usual, but still kicks it up a notch with the dry hay funk at the end. A unique take on the style that borders on a wild ale, yet is still a solid take on the style.

08-01-2010 20:37:05 | More by sweemzander
TurdFurgison

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

I had this on tap at the Ann Arbor location. It was served in a tulip-shaped glass, and looked kind of like a girly drink. That or Belgian. Light amber-pink, nice haze, with large poofy foam that was nearly white.

It smelled tart but not as much as the high production Jolly Pumpkins, with floral (rose) aromas and some light berries, maybe a hint of citrus.

It tastes really approachable, more of a saison than a wild although some signature brett was in there. Very floral and a little spicy, but not in a bitter way at all. Light-to-medium carbonation, very easy drinking. Highly recommended, one of the best I've had from Jolly Pumpkin.

03-13-2011 22:38:23 | More by TurdFurgison
ehammond1

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A surprisingly light pink colored pour, slightly hazy, with slight amber hues as well. Small off-white head that leaves nice stick down the glass.

The aroma is quite lovely, with a huge amount of floral (rose?) aroma, with some dark berries and citrus notes, along with a bit of earth and classic Jolly Pumpkin tartness/funk.

A lovely combination of floral and citrus notes, mild funk, rose petals, earth, and funky yeast character. This is a complex though incredibly drinkable saison.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

I love it!

06-30-2012 04:05:12 | More by ehammond1
emerge077

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle shared with other BA's at the Ann Arbor brewpub. Review from notes.

Reddish orange body, slightly hazy, with a ton of lacing and strong head retention. In true JP style the foam is sturdy and has a whipped meringue texture on it's surface.

Barnyard funk in the nose, rustic notes of musty hay, spices, general earthiness.

Tart, dry, clean feel. It has a light muskiness, some floral spice (maybe the rose hips & hibiscus, I plead ignorance) and clove for sure, with a light honey finish. The tartness is moderate and integrates well. It seemed similar in feel and drinkability to other JP brews I love, like Bam and Calabaza. The spices were a little subdued, seems like it could use more of a fruit component to punch up the savory tartness, but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit.

01-28-2010 00:14:09 | More by emerge077
david131

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

A- A deep, murky orange-pink liquid with a thick and creamy off-white head that leaves a lot of lacing and has excellent retention.

S- Sour fruits, honey, and roses. Very very nice. Really hard to pinpoint all the individual characteristics, but it is very appealing.

T- Hmm... Tastes floral, earthy, and has an olive aspect to it. Not as much depth as I expected. Acidic and sour.

M- Tart, acidic, dry, yet creamy with a nice amount of carbonation.

D- A unique beer, but the rose aspect is pretty subtle. Sounds much more appealing than it actually is. Still, this is enjoyable and is very high quality. Not quite worth the money, but worth splitting with a friend.

03-13-2010 01:01:00 | More by david131
Lolli1315

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

A- A pinkish red color that is plenty hazy. Billowing pink fluffy head that shrinks to around a solid finger. The pink lace is noticeable as it clings strongly to the side of the glass.

S- Floral smell with some perfumy notes that dips into a tart and sour acidic smell that becomes the vocal point. A certain amount of earthyness hiding in the background as well. Towards the finish a spiciness picks up slightly as well as a lingering sweetness.

T- An earthy and floral beginning to the beer as well as some slight sweetness. The middle brings more of the floral taste as well as the start of upward tart flavor. Slight fruity undertones developed in the middle that may be the tart flavor coming through. The finish brings some more of the tart flavor that was described as well as the floral components still present as well.

M- Medium bodied beer with smooth carbonation and not the harsh sour flavor on the tongue that many may affiliate with a sour. Nice dry finish brings this one together.

O- Another great beer from Jolly Pumpkin. Tons going on here and not overly sour for those who aren't sour heads (you poor souls) making it pretty easy to drink. Once again, I will continue to buy anything you make, Jolly Pumpkin.

04-15-2011 20:59:22 | More by Lolli1315
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from the bottle a hazy and dark reddish-gold color with two fingers of pink-tinted head. Light wet lacing left behind.

Aroma of tart berry and floral notes along with earthy funk, yeast, and brett.

The taste was tart with berry, rose hips, Belgian yeast, brett, earthy funk.

Medium bodied, crisp and dry with a moderate carbonation.

A very nice Saison from Jolly Pumpkin. I will definitely have this one again.

04-13-2014 21:11:20 | More by Monkeyknife
DefenCorps

Oregon

Thank you Devin!

The pour is pinkish red with a thin, white head with decent retention and lacing. The nose is very floral, herbal with a touch of lemon. As it warms up, a Bretty-bandaid aroma grows, along with a touch of must. Some sugar is present too.
The palate opens thin and watery with a disappointing lack of flavor. Some floral character is noticeable, hibiscus and rose dominating. Dry and mildly tea-like, there's some mild bandaid character. Drying on the finish, this light bodied beer has a moderate amount of carbonation. Solid stuff.
4/4/3/3.5/3.5

**Edit 23 May 2011**
Blend 5 that I picked up at State Line and split with my dad. This is hugely better than the first batch that I got to try thanks to Devin. Looks the same, though retention and lacing are significantly better. The nose is excellent. Mildly Brett-like with pepper, some clove and a little plastic, but with a wonderful floral component. The rose and hibiscus really shine on the nose, complementing the mild earthiness from the Brett. One the palate, the flavors of the nose are replicated and are in excellent balance. Not really sour, just earthy and funky, with the floral nature being refreshing and wonderful. Drying and mildly tart, leathery and earthy on the finish, this beer is light on the palate, crisply carbonated and refreshing. Wonderfully food-friendly, this is one of the better saisons I've had recently. Only wish it weren't so damn expensive, though.

01-24-2010 18:07:55 | More by DefenCorps
nova009

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

A- Pours a nice dark burgundy, looks like a mixture in between cranberry juice and a red wine, fluffy white head appears and dissipates down to a sticky covering, nice sticky lacing on the glass

S- nice jolly pumpkin, definite floral notes, smells like sticking your nose into a rose bush

T- wow this one has a really interesting transition, you get hit with the tart jolly pumpkin sour from the start, the flavor transitions into a slightly bitter almost liquorices flavor, and then finishes off sugary sweet, you get funk and floral, this is a fantastic one to drink on a spring day

M- pretty light body, medium amount of carbonation balances really nicely, finishes slightly dry, really refreshing

D- overall a great beer, different from any saison ive had before, jolly pumpkin really knows how to put an interesting twist on classic styles, will definitely be picking up a few more of these bottles

04-10-2011 20:23:09 | More by nova009
RblWthACoz

Blend 7/8 bottled 2-4-11

Not too many spot on saisons this side of the ocean. At least to this degree. This one has some nice funk and interesting rose and floral characters. Nice to drink, but you'll need to appreciate beers like Fantome to really dig on this one.

08-20-2012 04:42:24 | More by RblWthACoz
Brenden

4.14/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This so-called red saison is definitely that, a bright but thick red-brown with some rosewood or cherry wood hues. It builds a solid frothy white head with lots of retention that leaves some patchy lacing.
The aroma brings out some soft berry notes, maybe a hint of sweet darker fruits but nothing tart, and a gentler sourness than I get from most J.P. offerings. It's very softly floral with a sort of woodiness to it that's more oak than earth.
This is a beer that strikes the balance between delicacy and flavor, getting both. The floral aspect is so gentle, easing in with a soft strawberry-like note while overtop lies gentle sourness and tartness with a light, gentle funk. The wood note is like beach, not as hard as oak but adding some flavor and a bit of depth. There's a bit of grape must toward the finish, where more delicate florals (think jasmine or lavender) come out.
This beer starts off dry but never very much so, it's just a part of the feel that goes from beginning to finish. There seem to be some tannins, though not in the way I'd feel them in a wine by any stretch. The feel is generally somewhat bubbly, as the carbonation adds a crispness but the smoothness doesn't show so much over the dryness and the "bubble," so to speak.

09-23-2013 20:15:00 | More by Brenden