Baudelaire IO - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Baudelaire IOBaudelaire IO

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 10-27-2009)

pmarlowe, Oct 21, 2013
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a cranberry color with a white head with a pink tint.

Aroma, bready with some mineral notes. JP's signature bretty funk is there. Very nice

The flavor is nice and dry with a clean yeast profile and a slight touch of brett. Light floral notes and a cranberry hint at the finish

High Carbonation and a nice light body

A great beer and one I would recommend, not the best saison I have ever had but nonetheless a great beer

RenoZymurgist, Oct 20, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottled in June of this year

The beer pours a dull rose gold color with a sticky and fluffy off-white head that impedes further pouring until after a few minutes of settling time. The nose is tangy yeast upfront with fruity sweetness and peppery bitterness that sets in as it warms. High class saison flavors with tangy, floral/fruity sweetness, yeast, grain, and a slightly biting, sour, and bitter finish. This has a light-medium body, ample carbonation, tart funkiness, crazy attenuated sugars, mild bitterness, and extra dry finish. This is definitely a full flavored saison that's reasonably priced & available, and packs in some interesting herbal/floral components to keep things interesting.

ThePorterSorter, Oct 19, 2013

HardyA, Oct 17, 2013

dark-brewer, Oct 11, 2013

aapp, Oct 11, 2013

Hopmarc, Oct 08, 2013

PaulyB83, Oct 08, 2013
4.26/5  rDev +4.4%

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Baudelaire IO a couple weeks ago for $13.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been just now starting to get into these Jolly Pumpkin beers, and I wanted to get something different that I normally wouldn't buy and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Release, I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's got a nice and artsy look to it that makes it look pretty fancy, it reminds of a fancy wine label. It poured a nice redish brown color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of fluffy slightly pink head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice fruity aroma with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most and there's a slightly noticeable hibiscus aroma in the background. Up next comes that signature Jolly Pumpkin yeast that imparts a nice and funky aroma with some oak aromas in the background, This beer had a very nice aroma, I really liked the balance between the fruity and funky aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by that same fruity aspect that I got in the aroma with no single fruit sticking out more than the other and there's a nice and lighter oaky flavor hanging around in the background. Up next comes the Jolly Pumpkin yest that adds just the right amount of funky flavors to this beer with some hibiscus like flavors in the background. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with some nice lighter tartness taking it's place that has a Brett like flavor to it with a funky and fruity aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer, all the flavors worked really well together.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, crisp, fairly tart, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very good example of a funky Farmhouse style Saison, I tend to like my Saison's with a little bit of funk to them so I ended up really liking the balance of the typical Saison with the funky and fruity flavors, it was nicely done. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have any problem drinking the whole bottle to myself, no need to share this one. What I liked the most about this beer was pretty much everything, in my opinion this beer didn't have a weak point. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, at $14 it's a little on the expensive side and that would prevent me from buying it as much as I would like, I think $9 or $10 would be the perfect price. I would for sure buy this beer again, if i see another bottle at the beer store I will pick it up to see how it changes over time, but for $14 it's more of a special occasion type of beer for me. I would recommend this to any Jolly Pumpkin fans or anybody who likes a funkier Saison. All in all I really enjoyed this beer and I thought it was pretty impressive. Jolly Pumpkin did a great job with this beer and it's now up there as one of my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers and it might just be one of the best funkier Saisons that I've had so far. Good job guys this is one great beer.

StoutHunter, Oct 03, 2013

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Bilco, Sep 28, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Color: Hazy brick ruby
Smell: Funk, roses, spatzle, and ruby grapefruit
Taste: A sour cran-apple note leads into pear and hints of cedar
Overall: A wonderfully complex beer that's honestly hard to put to words...there's the typical Saison funk I look for with a more tart palate than most. Fun and easy to love...Outstanding!

Kirk_Grant, Sep 27, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

This so-called red saison is definitely that, a bright but thick red-brown with some rosewood or cherry wood hues. It builds a solid frothy white head with lots of retention that leaves some patchy lacing.
The aroma brings out some soft berry notes, maybe a hint of sweet darker fruits but nothing tart, and a gentler sourness than I get from most J.P. offerings. It's very softly floral with a sort of woodiness to it that's more oak than earth.
This is a beer that strikes the balance between delicacy and flavor, getting both. The floral aspect is so gentle, easing in with a soft strawberry-like note while overtop lies gentle sourness and tartness with a light, gentle funk. The wood note is like beach, not as hard as oak but adding some flavor and a bit of depth. There's a bit of grape must toward the finish, where more delicate florals (think jasmine or lavender) come out.
This beer starts off dry but never very much so, it's just a part of the feel that goes from beginning to finish. There seem to be some tannins, though not in the way I'd feel them in a wine by any stretch. The feel is generally somewhat bubbly, as the carbonation adds a crispness but the smoothness doesn't show so much over the dryness and the "bubble," so to speak.

Brenden, Sep 23, 2013

jgammoniv, Sep 22, 2013
4.01/5  rDev -1.7%

Batch: 1015/1016. Hibernating in the fridge last few months. Served nice & sweaty.

Ommegang Anniversary glass. Off-white, whipped cream head that quickly retreated. Foggy, amber, honey-ish, body. Nucleation from some lonely, misguided sediment.

Acidic, sour cherry pit tang on my first whiff. A little soapy, a little yeasty. Grandma sat in this chair not too long ago.

More pits in the flavor. Touch of saline/sweat. Soft tang. Just a bit of faded hibiscus tea remains. Doughy sweet, leading to a long, lingering, astringent finish.

Zesty, even a bit irritating. Fluffy/starchy body, but heavy on the suds. Alcohol kept in check.

Iz good.