Lambicus Dexterius - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Lambicus DexteriusLambicus Dexterius

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Gueuze |  ABV ?

Beer added by: MasterSki on 11-08-2009

Belgian-style lambic brewed traditionally (100% spontaneous fermentation). Blend of 4 yr, 3.5 yr and 2.5 yr.
to view more.
Ratings: 90 | Reviews: 47
Reviews by gregc:
2.66/5  rDev -30.7%

I am usually a big fan of Jolly Pumpkin, but this one really missed the mark.
Shared with 2 friends during the LOST premiere who also shared the same opinions about this one.
Pours dead flat, nice hazy orange color.
Smell was harsh, tons of acetic acid, pine sole cleaner. As it warmed some better aromas came out...sour apple, lemon but still overtaken by acetic acid...not good.
Taste was poor as well, vinegar, acetic acid, one of the other guys compared it to sucking on a penny. Very metallic. Floral wood. Very weird.
The beer had an ok mouthfell, I get what they are going after with no carbonation, but I think some may have made this beer a bit better. Drink ability was low, we didn't even finish the bottle.

2.4/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Big thanks go to BA mymrnngjckt for sharing this brew. Poured from a 750ml into a tulip. The brew appears a hazed golden color. Some big bubbles form along the edge of the glass and hang out there until disturbed. A swirl doesnt do much but agitate another couple of bubbles to the perimeter.

The aroma of this brew is a mixture of apple cider and acetone. A hint of pear and apple fruited quality is present in trace amounts but it gets dominated but a perfume-like essence of plastic and nail polish remover. Unexciting and not inviting.

The taste is quite acedic. Acetone hits the palate upfront with a mild fruity perfume inclusion. It gets a bit grassy to herbal when trying to focus on something other than the acid. The aftertaste includes a bit of plastic.

This is a medium bodied brew with a still to mild amount of carbonation. While there is no denying how sour this brew is, it is painful and not in a good way. The combo of acetone and plastic was bad...it tastes like burning. Perhaps this was an awesome beer at one time? I dont know, I never thought id get the chance to try it and never will be able to comment on how it was fresh. But what this monster is now, is not good.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Although I strongly avoid reviewing beers that I have consumed at festivals, I occasionally make an exception. This will be one of those occasions, for I was in a unique position to enjoy a more than ample sample of this particular beer at the recent 2009 Chicago Festival of Barrel Aged Beers and did so slowly and thoughtfully before drinking much of anything else.

According to a Jolly Pumpkin brewer on hand at FOBAB, the fine Michigan brewery known for its wild ales began their endeavor into true lambics more than 5 years ago. In fact, some or all of the beer that went into this lambic is fully aged 5 years in the barrel. I did not think to ask at the time if this was a blended or unblended lambic. I'm kicking myself now but guess from the aroma and flavor that this must be a blend.

While all of Jolly Pumpkin's beers are aged in oak and utilize naturally occurring yeasts and bacteria, this will be their first truly spontaneously fermented beer in the lambic tradition (most of their other beers follow more closely the Flanders tradition). I should add that to the best of my knowledge this is the first commercially available true lambic made in America. The first public release of this exceptional brew was on November 7th, 2009 at FOBAB.

Poured from a black capped 750 ml bottle featuring an attractive label of oak barrels, the Lambicus Dexterius instantly reminds me of the cask lambic I drank during my wanderings in Lambikland last summer. The carbonation is very low and this became the one point of criticism for the beer that I heard over the course of the day. Since Lambicus was only bottled in March, I would guess that this may improve slightly with time but personally, I would not care if it did. I discovered and imbibed in several wonderful lambics in Belgium last summer that were served almost completely flat, usually from cask in small town taverns. Lambicus may not bubble like most of the bottled lambics we get in America, but to me that only made it stand out as unique and reminiscent of those desirous sours that remain unavailable on this side of the Atlantic, Girardin Jonge Lambiek for instance.

Aside from its generally flat appearance the Lambicus shown a gentle orange with total transparency. Sediment did not appear to have accumulated to any significant degree in the bottle. A very minimal white head disappears within seconds of the pour.

The aroma is on point for a lambic featuring sour apple and lemony citric notes as well as hints of damp wood. Well aged cheddar cheese and the much desired horse blanket quality are there too as is a faint mineraliness.

The body has a touch of leatheriness to it but generally makes for easy drinking as the carbonation is so mild. Tartness is mild to moderately present and the sourness is just right in my opinion for the style. This isn't battery acid or straight vinegar but it gets the job done. Quite dry.

Flavors follow the aromas but with the addition of pleasant earth notes and a more pronounced woody finish.
As a geuze hound, I find this beer to be drinkable by the liter.

Without question, Jolly Pumpkin has done it. American brewers should all be proud. Yet another European Style has been successfully co-opted into the range of American beers. The brewers of Brussels and southwestern Flemish Brabant should take notice for it will only take a few more years for the Americans to master and best them at their own most sacred style.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Bottle shared by Grant – thanks!

Pours a hazy golden-copper color with a thin white head that leaves decent lacing.

Smells of equal parts light and medium malts with large amounts of musty funk – wet hay with hints of leather. Also present are slight amounts of citrus aromas and slighter amounts of soft oak.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though more robust. Medium malts up front are joined quickly by large amounts of musty flavors – wet hay mostly as with the aroma with hints of deeper leather. Midway through light amounts of citrus and leafy hops come into play before being pushed aside by light oak flavors that carry through to a crisp ending. Mouthfeel is good, with soft carbonation.

Overall this wasn’t far off from a solid still lambic, but while all the flavors were there, it just didn’t mesh as well as the best from Belgium. Still, an interesting beer that’s worth a shot.

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere (Joe) for this one. Opened at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: This one is advertised as a still lambic so I'm gonna review it as such. Beer is a semi-clear orange. No head, no lacing.

S: Fruity esthers abound in this one. Lemon, citrus, and apricot. Wood and peat overtones with a slight hint of ethanol in the background.

T: Citrus, grapefruit, funk, and a noticeable yeasty bitterness in the middle and end. Abrasive ethanol in parts with a tart finish. Aftertaste is a simple lingering sourness.

M: Medium bodied with no carbonation. Smooth and oily in the mouth. Saliva inducing. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste.

D: Definitely different than any other gueze I've ever had but this one is quite a winner for me. Complexities easily present themselves in the absence of carbonation. I also like the unique, smooth, flat mouthfeel in this one. A beer that present a very different experience to say the least. Definitely worth a try.

4.31/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks to sweemzander for opening this one.

(A) Pours a clear orange copper color. There is absolutely no sign of a head or carbonation in this. Some clear bubbles from a rigorous shake, but that's it.

(S) It smells great. A ton of light and citric fruits. Orange and lemon with a bit of peach. There is a bit of a floral, perfume like smell that couples with the bit of funk in there.

(T) There's a good musk that comes off of the fruits and oak. Orange peel and lemon zest are surrounded by a vinegar-esque flavor.

(M) Smooth, oily, and flat. Acidic.

(O) It's everything you find in a gueuze without the tart punch you get with the addition of carbonation. I think with the carbonation this could be even that much better. It's a solid beer, or a solid base of a beer that could be improved only with a better mouthfeel.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Bottle shared by sarro at DLD. Big thanks to him for hooking me up with some of this rarity.

Appearance is clear bright golden with - WTF, is this from Lost Abbey? Just kidding, I know it's not supposed to be carbonated. And it isn't. Nary a bubble to be seen.

The aroma is great for a lambic - oak barrel and barnyard funk, slight malty sweetness, and sour citrus notes.

Flavor is very good. Slightly sweet maltiness gives way to a nicely sour and funky beer. Very oaky and barnyardy with green apple, vinegar, sour grapefruit, and lemon. Can you believe the crap that fermented this was just floating around the air not too far from Detroit? That is rather surprising.

Dry and somewhat acidic on the palate with a substantial tannic quality. Medium body. As I mentioned before, a carbonation level on par with that of 2009 Brandy Angels Share from the bottle, or tap water.

Overall a solid beer. I give Jolly Pumpkin heat for being overhyped, especially on RateBeer, but you know, they come out with some quality stuff once in awhile. I could drink more of this, but I'll probably never get the chance. Oh well, rarity's a bitch.

3.29/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for bringing this one to a tasting on 5/29/10. Approx. 4oz. pour from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter.

A: Flat as can be (intentionally), deep yellow (or in the case of dehydration it's "piss" yellow).

S: Moldy apricots and burnt rubber. I guess this smells kind of interesting.

T: Peet moss and liquid freeze pops. This is a very medicinal sour, but I will give it a decent score because it's somewhat complex.

M: Slick and oily.

D: Acrid medicinal taste does not do this beer well.

Overall, I don't like flat beers whether it's intentional or not in a beer of a lower ABV class.

ipa247 shared this one. Thanks!

Pours a murky, somewhat turbid orange-amber. In the glass it's completely still. It smells strongly of oak, musty barnyard funk, damp wood and orange rind. Very woody and fruity; apricots and peaches spring to mind. The taste follows suit with flavors of tart stonefruit, apricot specifically. Very tannic, woody, leathery, like chewing on a grapefruit peel. Sourness is mild, and the acidity is balanced by the big tannic character. The body is still, but it doesn't detract from the deliciousness or drinkability one bit. Good stuff, possibly my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beer to date.

Update: I had a second bottle of this that had quite a bit of acetone. Seems there may be some bottle variation with this beer, or perhaps it just isn't aging well.

4.04/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to TempsPerdu for sharing this one with me.

A- No carbonation, just a few bubbles around the edges from the pour. Hazy orange in color.

S-A whole not of barnyard funk. Stinky cheese, sweaty socks and "horse blanket" (I usually don't use this term because I've never actually smelled a horse blanket.) Bitter citrus (lemon or grapefruit peel.)

T-Very funky, lots of very weird flavors. Drying, very bitter grapefruit (interesting component mixed with the funk), some rubber. This is very complex and I don't know that I have many bench marks to compare this very traditional Gueuze to. Very interesting. Bananas? (who knows)

MF-Drying, completely flat, a bit of a syrupy burn to the finish. I know the intention is to be flat, but I don't love that feature of this beer.

D-Wish it had a bit more carbonation, one of the funkiest beers I've ever had. Possibly a little out of my league as most of my exposure is to less traditional blended gueuzes.

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

Big thanks to ThirstyBird for sharing this at a tasting.

Barely noticeable hiss as the bottle is opened. Pours a brilliant hazy orange with no head to speak of. Nose is powerful citrus, oak, and a vague saison-y quality -- almost surprisingly, I don't get a lot of what I think of as the JP "house character" from this. Taste has a distinct tangerine flavor fading to grapefruit/apple, with an incredibly astringent oaky finish. The mouthfeel is slick and slightly carbonated, and dominated by tannic dryness. I doubt I could drink much more than my pour of this.

Really glad to be able to try this beer -- tastes like no other beer I've ever had. It's so great that more breweries are doing spontaneously fermented beers, and unlike some of the others I've had this one has been allowed to mature properly before release. Already looking forward to future spontaneous beers from JP.

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lucky enough to try one of the first bottles of JP back in September thanks to the man himself.

A - Pours a flat deep golden straw color.

S - Cantillon-esque funk, very musty with blueberry and lemon rind. Vinegary and pungent cheesy smells.

T - Lemon rind, blueberry, sour green apple.

M - Very dry and acidic. Perfect amount of sourness for my taste. Finish is lasting and quite pleasant.

D - I've had it a few times so far and every time we've finished a bottle I've been eagerly waiting for a release date. On the eve of the new year it's finally here! Can't wait to get a few bottles of these and watch them evolve over the years.

3.57/5  rDev -7%

Graduation Sour Tasting. Split 4 ways.

A: Pours a gold, almost orange color, and a little cloudy. No head on this beer at all. Dont even see any bubbles.

S: The best way to describe this is as a spicy grapefruit. Also get some funk and wood scents.

T: Grapefruit and lemon flavors come through. A little spice and some sweetness as well to go along with a mild sourness.

M: Very dry and flat. There is zero carbonation. Has a mouthfeel of water. Intended or not, I think the "not impressed" 2.0 is the best way to describe my thoughts.

D: Pretty disappointed with this one. Smelled good, and other than no head, looked good. But the mouthfeel killed it for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one has been inconsistent for me. I've had it twice and it was different both times. Thanks to klevelandrocks for the trade!

firey orange and amber hues

smells sour, farmy, acidic

tastes sour, extremely angular and acidic, antifeezeish (2nd bottle),

first bottle tasted pretty sour but not overbearingly sour. It was funky and farmy the first time but not nearly as angular and intense...more round and easy

completely flat (spontaneous fermentation from barrels with no yeast or sugar added)

My overall score of this beer is more a mix of both bottles. My first bottle I would have given a 4.3-4.7 but the 2nd bottle was closer to a 3.3-3.7...looks like I need to give this one another shot!

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks a lot for sarro and his tasting group for sharing this bottle. Aroma: Aged cheese funkyness upfront along with some cedar and a peach/pinneaples fruiyness, all wonderfully blended together. Appearance: Peach body with no head. Flavors: This one is real sour, much more than the usual JPs. Crushed lemon and grapefruit rind with intense woody flavors. Palate: Very dry and still. I’m not so much into flat beer but I thought it fit the beer profile. Overal: Excellent beer, maybe a little too harsh and sour though.

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

Big thanks to a generous trader for sending this one. Served in a Jolly Pumpkin tulip. Pours a clear deep golden color with no head. Almost completely flat. Nose is a bit cheesy with some backing funk. Completely still. Flavor is fairly harsh with heavy acidity. Some cider; no complexity.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!
Shared by DSC at a tasting. Since having this beer I had the chance to try Bambic-- I'll be that guy and flat-out say it right now: Bambic is the better beer.
anyway...

I'm pouring this while watching Muddy Waters sing Mannish Boy on the dvd of The Last Waltz-- while the afternoon sun drifts lazily down and encompasses in a soft glowing warmth... Perfect.
The beer is a cloudy kind of orange-- very still. Looks almost like a pressed fruit juice. Cloudy and opaque-- definitely translucent, but not transparent.
The nose has some soft fruit like apricots, pears, then some oak and an astringent note that is almost reminiscent of acetone.
The taste reminds me of grapefruit, apricots, with a nice dryness. Gets really dry on the finish. It's good, but not as good as I had hoped. Ruby red grapefruit juice keeps coming to mind...
The body is still-- no bubbles at all. It isn't syrupy or anything...

Not bad. We're having this at a tasting with some hugely worldclass beers, and this pales in comparison to some of the others we have here tonight. I'd be happy to drink a bottle of this beer, but it won't be one I seek out too hard.

Appearance: Amber, Golden, Lighter concentration in the rim, Light evervecense, no mousse to the head just a slight froth, Very bright shimmery highlights in the color.

Smell: Almonds, Orange Rind, Blueberry pie, Apricot Stone, Bandaid rubber

Taste:Orange Rind, Funky cheese, Burnt orange peel, blueberry, lemon juice, iodine, white grapefruit.

Mouthfeel:Very sharp angular acid, I would compare this to Drie Fonteinen Doesjel Sleeper style lambic, Light weight, and crisp refreshing zingy texture, with very low hop bitterness bordering on none.

Drinkability: This beer is extremely well balanced and for a lambic is very approachable and well rounded. You could drink a whole bottle to yourself easily despite how sour and funky it is. This beer would pair excellent with rich proteins but could also accompany fresh light dishes like a salad or certain vegetables.

This beer is the holy grail of American craft beer.

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%

750 ml bottle Purchased on New Years Eve at the Ann Arbor brewpub. I'm not a huge sour fanatic but I happened to be at the brewery for this release and I figured I'd pick up a few bottles. It sold out soon after apparently.

Pours a bright amber yellow/honey color. No head, just a few large bubbles on top ala any other non carbonated beverage.

My bottle is refrigerator temp and the smell isn't ultra intense. It is sour, with green apple peel, slight funk, not as much as expected, vinegar, citrus, sourness, and a bit of oak.

Taste is pretty sour, though not out of control. There is also hints of oak, it is funky though not as expected. As it warmed the funkiness elevated in the taste and smell. There was never a baby vomit taste, not that I would know and I can't believe someone actually knows what that is supposed to taste like (do they bottle it?), but it smelled almost vomit like when it warmed, mostly just extra lactosey/acidic. No vomit taste what so ever, in fact it isn't even the funkiest lambic I have tasted (i haven't had too many). If you are a sour fan drink it cold, if you enjoy funk drink it slightly warmer,I enjoyed it cold and thought it was a lot better cold, if it tasted the sour way the whole way I would have rated it higher.

The mouthfeel is an expected downer, no mater what the fluid I always feel carbonation, large or small, aids in the enjoyability of the beverage. The mouthfeel here was somewhat dry in the finish but very syrup like.

Overall it is an above average sour beer, but not a pinnacle for the style. It is a landmark beer and an exciting thing to try but imo me not being a huge sour fan I find this not too drinkable and can't get into it as much without the carbonation though finishing a glass shouldn't be a problem for most even if your not huge into the style.

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a clear orange cider color. Some very minimal white bubbles, but otherwise looks fairly flat.

(S)- Dry, with a great oaky funk. Mildly cheesy in the funk too. Bits of acidic white grape, lemon, and cider. The oak nuances in this are very striking.

(T)- Rather tart and acidic up front. Bits of white grape, lemon, and cider bits. Funky and earthy with a great oak profile in the background.

(M)- Despite the flat carbonation level, the hefty acidity does carry this well through the mouthfeel, though actual carbonation would help this immensely. The funk and oak are really quite strong, but very dynamic too.

(D)- Honestly, I really do like this. Yes, it is flat as can be, but the acidity does help. In hindsight, its not really worth tracking one down based on whats inside, but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

Thanks to Jacob for bringing some more whales.

A: The cap comes off without so much as a hiss. The beer is a completely flat golden orange color.

S: An intensely sour aroma with a strong acidity and a wonderful balance of oak and funkiness. There is just a touch of fruitiness in the form of lemon and peaches.

T: This is nearly perfect in terms of flavor. As the nose indicates, an intense lactic and mildly acetic sourness. Only a mild funk, but a nice oaky tannin character and some lemons, peaches, and grapefruit add even more to this one.

M: Lambicus is slick and flat on the tongue with a medium body and a wonderfully tannic and dry finish.

D: One of the best beers I've had lately. I am so pleased to have one of these at home and can't wait to see the journey.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to a not to be named individual, we were blessed with 2 bottles of this fine concoction. We were not allowed to consume it until we had clear pallets and were fairly sober. Myself being the only 'sour beer' geek in the crowd, it was interesting watching the others reactions. Some were purely aghast that anyone would find such a thing pleasurable. On with the review...

Appearance, copper color, slightly cloudy. Would liked to have a little more effervescence, but that's my preference as opposed to what the brewer had in mind.

Smell, as any good brett beer should have, it had the 'horse blanket' smell goin on, but not huge. Definite barnyard funk, but again, subdued. Acidity hid nicely in the background along with a little warm leather aroma.

Taste, just like all the fine Lambics of the world, this beer made me smile and lick my lips a lot. Tart, refreshing and something that I kept noticing that nobody has mentioned yet was a lingering heat on the back of the throat. Made me wonder if Ron mighta got some sort of spice thing going on or if it's just a characteristic of the yeast he used.

Mouthfeel, whispy and light bodied. Very fluid which I think is important for this style as you dont want it lingering on the tongue between sips.

Drinkability, I was very pleased (not really) that myself and one other person were the only ones that went back for 2nds. None was left in the bottle at the end. It was the way I brought in the new year and the last beer to pass my lips that night.. ahhh....

I think this beer is one of the best domestic Lambic style beers I've had.

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

Review #900. Devin brought this to an impromptu tasting last night. Thanks man, you really are super generous!

The pour is hazy, murky peachy with no head. Some bubbles are present thanks to the pour, but this isn't a particularly attractive beer.

The nose is just plain awesome. Funky, salty, mildly acetic with a sharp funkiness with plenty of barnyard and horse blanket. Mild citrus with orange rind is present, and warming it up brings out some oak, vanilla, tannins and wet tobacco.

The palate opens super sour with plenty of funk and a pronounced lemony, lactic and mildly acetic sourness. Salty and funky, this has some barnyard, musty basement and a complex array of funky flavors. Mildly sweet mid palate, drying on the finish with some vanilla, some tannins are present as well. The mild sweetness does reduce the harshness of the tannins. Fairly clean and lactic on the finish with some lemon and a touch of solvent-like character,this is quite super acidic, really cleaning the teeth. Medium light in body with no carbonation, this is quite what I expected from the description. Probably as close to an unblended lambic as you can get in the US, this is thoroughly enjoyable, though not in large quantities.

2.36/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Ok let me give a WARNING this was back in 2010 and i had very little experience with farmhouse ales. So the rating is from a view point when i had no idea what i should expect and should have never even opened the bottle. FYI i drain poured it after 2 sips.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Review #600

1/24/2010

Thanks to Jon (weeheavysd) for opening this. A hard pour into my snifter reveals a cloudy dark orange body with a miniscule bubbly head.

The nose is salty with a cheese-like funk and tart citrus (lemon). It's reminiscent of wet hay, musty barnyard, horse blanket, and wet leather. Tannins and wood are apparent. Incredible aroma.

The taste is piquant with a light tartness and an upper moderate level of citric acidity. Barnyard, horse blanket, and wet leather are all noticeable. It's also cheesy, salty, and tannic. Wood is prominent. Lemon is again noticeable and the acidity is at an upper moderate level. Lactic notes are at an upper low level. The finish is funky, with tart lemons and tannins.

The beer is flat, as I expected, but it's exceptional. The acidity and tannins provide a dry and sometimes biting mouthfeel. This is amazing stuff.

to view more.