Biere De Goord - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Biere De GoordBiere De Goord

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

A Saison brewed pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, kale w/ pumpkin, tea, and peppercorns. Spelled "Beire de Goord" on the label, but "Biere de Goord" elsewhere by the brewery.

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 09-23-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Dreadnaught33:
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Dreadnaught33, Apr 20, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle. Batch 559 bottled 7/22/10.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is awesome. I get some yeast, funk and a little bit of tartness. The flavor is just as good, if not better. I get lemons, wheat, Belgian yeast, earth and some brett characteristics. A very funky saison that is easy to drink. I don't get much, if anything in the flavor from the pumpkin or pumpkin seeds, but the beer is still very nice. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

Mora2000, Oct 12, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Cold bottle at the Blue Monk. Still pretty cold after half an hour. Cloudy peachy colour with a white bubbly head, a sheet of lace down the cup. Farmhouse aromas, however a tolerable farmhouse aroma. Medium mouthfeel. A wild ale, a tad of pumpkin and vegetable but mostly a strong bold wild ale. Decent drinkability, however bomber must be shared by three.

Sammy, Dec 06, 2010

grownfool, Jan 27, 2012

Photekut, May 19, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

750ml bottle thanks to womencantsail at the post-Bruery tasting.

Cloudy golden in color with a one-finger white head and some thick lacing that's typical of Jolly Pumpkin.

The aroma has pumpkin (what do you know?), herbal notes, pepper, and your typical Jolly Pumpkin funk.

The flavor is that of a standard dry and tart, slightly wild saison with some other interesting notes thrown in. Earthy and herbal with green tea and pumpkin, a unique combination that works about as well as you might think it could (which is not great, but good). The finish is a little weaker than I'd like.

Medium-bodied and slightly tart and dry with a good level of carbonation.

A nice concept beer, and one I'd like to give another shot later if they want to brew it again.

nickd717, Jan 21, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one with myself and beeruser at one of our weekly tastings! Batch 559, Bottled 7-22-10. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a masssively hazy yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, funk, and slight pumpkin. The flavor was of sweet malt, pumpkin, sour, subtle tart, slight funk, and a nice bitter bite on the followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The flavor on this one was muted however. This did allow some more of the subtle flavor notes to come through such as the pumpkin and funk. All of the flavors really seemed to work really nicely together on this one. The aroma was a thing of beauty though as compared to the flavor. Really glad I got the chance to try this one and I suggest you do the same.

thagr81us, Jul 12, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

A huge thanks to Nikki (sirotan) and also Malcom (FourKicks) for hooking me up with two bottles of this. Reviewed from notes, and enjoyed on the night of my law school graduation out in California. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a beautiful vibrant cloudy tangerine into the three tulip glasses (shared between my brother-in-law, myself, and my father). About a finger of bright white head is achieved with a moderate pour, that leaves nice lacing.

Smell – At first you get the stereotypical JP funk, but not nearly what I’ mused to. This fades into the, despite being months old, quite obvious kale, pumpkin seeds, and peppercorns. There is an absolute “spice” presence in this JP beer that I have not noticed in any other of their beers. The aroma then lends itself to great citrus aromas, wet hay, leather, and more earthy aromas. Really unique and I can honestly say I’ve never smelled a beer like this.

Taste – The taste was actually somewhat acrid in the initial sip. However, as the beer warmed the oak and tart citrus qualities began to shine. The kale and peppercorns were quite prominent in my opinion, even after being in the bottle for so long. I’m curious how this must have tasted fresh. The more this beer warms, the better the flavors become. The lemon tartness, orange pith, and floral notes really shine. Quite the interesting beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, great carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

Overall – Absolutely ecstatic I was able to try this. This beer, in my opinion, totally goes against the grain of normal JP beers in the fact that I honestly felt this was a different beer from any of the JP beers I’ve had in the past. The spices and barnyard funk worked wonderfully together and I am happy I have another bottle to share/enjoy with soon. Cheers!

[edit] How weird that no one has reviewed this in over five months and mikesgroove and I reviewed it within 10 minutes of each other tonight, heh.

SpdKilz, Jul 08, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

This one poured a very nice and somewhat hazy orange tinted amber with a lot of fizzy and foamy carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. A somewhat smallish head formed on top that nestled down into simply a thin layer across the top which hung around for a good little while before settling down into nothing. Smell was very tart at first. As it warmed a light earthy grain like aroma took over and a small but still detectable amount of spice as well. The taste was very bitter, and not at all what I was expecting to be honest. It had a nice grainy back which came through nicely with a hint of spice on the end of it, however these were blown out of the water by a sour and bitter fruit like bite to the finish. Almost came off as a sour ale in a way, very bitter. Medium body was lightened a bit by the ample carbonation. Smooth texture though and a great dry finish just added on to it. Overall again this was not what I expected at all, but as it turned out was still very good. I really enjoyed the different take it had to the normal fall classic and really the flavor came out of left field for me.

mikesgroove, Jul 08, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy light orange in color and poured with a large white head that quickly died down and left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There is a moderate aroma of sourness in the nose that has notes of grapefruits and oranges.
T: Like the smell, the taste is rather sour but this is very balanced and does not overpower the other flavors, which include notes of oak from the barrel aging and pepper. There is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation; there is some dryness in the finish.
D: It's not too difficult to drink this beer because the sourness in the taste is not overpowering.

metter98, Nov 14, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip. Batch 559 bottled 7-22-10.
A: Pours a nice cloudy lemon with 1 inch bubbly white head. Good retention and lacing. Very nice for style.
S: The inticing aroma of sweet mellow funk hits a few feet away. Sweet melon, brett funk, green tea, and mild citrus hops. Maybe it's just me, but I get no pumpkin here.
T: Wow, all sorts of stuff hit you at once here. Sweet melon, bitter hops, dry funk, astringent tea, pineapple brett, tart citrus, and faint hints of mineral, mustiness, and pumpkin seeds. Definitely complex, but it hits all at once causing a bit of a jumble.
M: All kinds of stuff here. Sweet, bitter, tart, dry, and a hint of champagne-like tingle. Light body. Enjoyable feel.
D: Very drinkable. Definitely an interesting beer and one you should try at least once. For me, everything hit all at once causing a complex jumble which was a little off-putting. Still a quality brew from a quality brewery. Bring it to a party and watch people's reaction to this one.

mwilbur, Oct 23, 2010

WeisGuy, Jan 27, 2013

TeachChefs, Nov 09, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Big thanks to craytonic for opening up this bottle. Served in a Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Pours peach with a good white head. Faint lacing and a bit of a collar on the way down. The nose carries a bit of light spice and very mild funk. A bit of citrus in there as well. Fairly restrained and not quite in your face like some Jolly Pumpkin offerings. Nice and balanced. Flavor has a bit of light spice plus some citrus. Light earthiness and straw. Light body with a dry finish. Very nice.

Thorpe429, Oct 08, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

RBorsato, Oct 22, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

AleWatcher, Jan 20, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

hays99, Aug 30, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Batch #559, Bottled 7/22/10. Shared with my boy VDubb86 after receiving it from my beer of the month club. It pours a very cloudy orange pulp topped by about two fingers of soapy white foam. The nose is mostly sour orange juice (as though a glass of OJ was left out to spoil...), graham crackers, and pinot grigio. Ask VDubb: when I first sipped it, my head shot back in a combination pucker and grimace (though less purple than you'd imagine). A blast of tart ruby red grapefruit hits up front, while a jolt of kelp and seaweed (I assume the kale) shoots down the center of my tongue. Meanwhile, a sea of slightly sour blood orange, pumpkin rind, cilantro, and light black pepper envelopes everything else in a warm embrace. This is so strange and complex that I am left a bit speechless from this point. It's almost too much for its own good. The body is a solid medium, with a light carbonation and a fairly dry, sticky finish. Overall, this was definitely an experience worth having, even if I can't truly express it in as many words as would like to. If you can find it, drink it.

TMoney2591, Sep 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks so much to Derek for sending another great Jolly Pumpkin beer my way. I always look forward to opening these.

A: The pour is a cloudy apricot/peach colored beer with a big head that is just off of white.

S: Like almost any Jolly Pumpkin beer, the nice tartness is immediately noticeable. Quite a bit of fruit such as lemon, peach, and cantaloupe. There's a light spice to it as well as some sweet malts and wet oak. I don't really get a lot of the flavorings, though.

T: A refreshing tartness along with a nice oak flavor and some drying aspects start the flavor. The malt is a bit more pronounced than on the nose, though there's more of a green/grass thing going on here. I think I may actually get some of the kale, too.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation and a dry finish.

D: I wish the pumpkin seeds and kale (and other additives) were more pronounced, but this was a very good beer anyway. A pleasure to drink.

womencantsail, Jan 13, 2011

nmann08, Apr 19, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Big thanks to womencantsail for opening a bottle of this at the post RS party tasting. Poured into a tasting glass.

A - Pours hazy orange with a nice light cap of white head leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - Just like any other jolly pumpkin beer. Nice tart funk mixes well with the pumpkin, light spice, some oak, and a bit of citric fruit, most notably lemon and some peach. Nice balance but nothing too over the top.

T - So they finally made a beer with pumpkin in it. Plenty of tart funk up front mixes well with the pumpkin and other flavors, similar to the nose. Not your typical saison, obviously!, but still very enjoyable. Not overpowering at all, quite refreshing in fact. I really enjoyed this one.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Very nice light, refreshing, feel on the pallet. Finish is funky but it doesn't linger for very long.

D - Very good stuff. I might have to try and get a bottle of this for myself. I really liked how well the pumpkin worked with the typical jolly pumpkin funk.

orangesol, Feb 02, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Color is a medium straw with a tinge of orange. The head is bright white and made up of tiny mousse-like bubbles. It started out several fingers thick and faded to a solid 1/8" that never went away.

S - The smell makes it obvious that this is made with wild fermentation. The smell is tart lemon juice and lambic-like sharpness. At the edge of my perception there is a sweet note that I can't identify that softens the tartness a little. It reminds me of a gueuze lambic aroma.

T - I can't detect any of the exotic ingredients listed on the label. The lemon and sharp astringent tastes dominate everything, but there is some complexity added by spices and a woody or nutty note. I definitely get horse blanket-type tastes as well.

M - The body is medium but is lightened by the high carbonation and the astringent mouthfeel.

D - I am not a huge fan of wild beers, but I find this one enjoyable. It reminds me very much of an authentic gueuze. Beyond the tartness, all the exotic ingredients are lost on my uneducated palate, but it seems balanced and well-made.

Radome, Nov 13, 2010

Exiled, Nov 25, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Good lookin out drew for crackin this open the other day

Poured a hazy golden orange in color with pale yellow highlights when held up to the light that had a half finger of foamy head and plenty of lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma definitely had the signature jolly pumpkin bretty funky character alongside citrusy, oaky, and mild tart acidic qualities. I really couldn't detect any pumpki or peppercorn character but it had lots of the bretty funky tart flavors with oaky citrus accents and a touch of acidic spice notes. The brew was medium in body with a nice amount of prickly carbonation which had a funky bretty, oaky, citrusy, mild spice, and tart finish. I also ways enjoy a jolly pumpkin beer and this one was no exception. Really glad I got to take a stab at it.

Gobzilla, Jan 13, 2011