Biere De Goord - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Biere De GoordBiere De Goord

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 09-23-2010

A Saison brewed pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, kale w/ pumpkin, tea, and peppercorns. Spelled "Beire de Goord" on the label, but "Biere de Goord" elsewhere by the brewery.
to view more.
Ratings: 43 | Reviews: 24
Reviews by Dreadnaught33:
4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle. Batch 559 bottled 7/22/10.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is awesome. I get some yeast, funk and a little bit of tartness. The flavor is just as good, if not better. I get lemons, wheat, Belgian yeast, earth and some brett characteristics. A very funky saison that is easy to drink. I don't get much, if anything in the flavor from the pumpkin or pumpkin seeds, but the beer is still very nice. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Cold bottle at the Blue Monk. Still pretty cold after half an hour. Cloudy peachy colour with a white bubbly head, a sheet of lace down the cup. Farmhouse aromas, however a tolerable farmhouse aroma. Medium mouthfeel. A wild ale, a tad of pumpkin and vegetable but mostly a strong bold wild ale. Decent drinkability, however bomber must be shared by three.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

750ml bottle thanks to womencantsail at the post-Bruery tasting.

Cloudy golden in color with a one-finger white head and some thick lacing that's typical of Jolly Pumpkin.

The aroma has pumpkin (what do you know?), herbal notes, pepper, and your typical Jolly Pumpkin funk.

The flavor is that of a standard dry and tart, slightly wild saison with some other interesting notes thrown in. Earthy and herbal with green tea and pumpkin, a unique combination that works about as well as you might think it could (which is not great, but good). The finish is a little weaker than I'd like.

Medium-bodied and slightly tart and dry with a good level of carbonation.

A nice concept beer, and one I'd like to give another shot later if they want to brew it again.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one with myself and beeruser at one of our weekly tastings! Batch 559, Bottled 7-22-10. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a masssively hazy yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, funk, and slight pumpkin. The flavor was of sweet malt, pumpkin, sour, subtle tart, slight funk, and a nice bitter bite on the followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The flavor on this one was muted however. This did allow some more of the subtle flavor notes to come through such as the pumpkin and funk. All of the flavors really seemed to work really nicely together on this one. The aroma was a thing of beauty though as compared to the flavor. Really glad I got the chance to try this one and I suggest you do the same.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

A huge thanks to Nikki (sirotan) and also Malcom (FourKicks) for hooking me up with two bottles of this. Reviewed from notes, and enjoyed on the night of my law school graduation out in California. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a beautiful vibrant cloudy tangerine into the three tulip glasses (shared between my brother-in-law, myself, and my father). About a finger of bright white head is achieved with a moderate pour, that leaves nice lacing.

Smell – At first you get the stereotypical JP funk, but not nearly what I’ mused to. This fades into the, despite being months old, quite obvious kale, pumpkin seeds, and peppercorns. There is an absolute “spice” presence in this JP beer that I have not noticed in any other of their beers. The aroma then lends itself to great citrus aromas, wet hay, leather, and more earthy aromas. Really unique and I can honestly say I’ve never smelled a beer like this.

Taste – The taste was actually somewhat acrid in the initial sip. However, as the beer warmed the oak and tart citrus qualities began to shine. The kale and peppercorns were quite prominent in my opinion, even after being in the bottle for so long. I’m curious how this must have tasted fresh. The more this beer warms, the better the flavors become. The lemon tartness, orange pith, and floral notes really shine. Quite the interesting beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, great carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

Overall – Absolutely ecstatic I was able to try this. This beer, in my opinion, totally goes against the grain of normal JP beers in the fact that I honestly felt this was a different beer from any of the JP beers I’ve had in the past. The spices and barnyard funk worked wonderfully together and I am happy I have another bottle to share/enjoy with soon. Cheers!

[edit] How weird that no one has reviewed this in over five months and mikesgroove and I reviewed it within 10 minutes of each other tonight, heh.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

This one poured a very nice and somewhat hazy orange tinted amber with a lot of fizzy and foamy carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. A somewhat smallish head formed on top that nestled down into simply a thin layer across the top which hung around for a good little while before settling down into nothing. Smell was very tart at first. As it warmed a light earthy grain like aroma took over and a small but still detectable amount of spice as well. The taste was very bitter, and not at all what I was expecting to be honest. It had a nice grainy back which came through nicely with a hint of spice on the end of it, however these were blown out of the water by a sour and bitter fruit like bite to the finish. Almost came off as a sour ale in a way, very bitter. Medium body was lightened a bit by the ample carbonation. Smooth texture though and a great dry finish just added on to it. Overall again this was not what I expected at all, but as it turned out was still very good. I really enjoyed the different take it had to the normal fall classic and really the flavor came out of left field for me.

4.19/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy light orange in color and poured with a large white head that quickly died down and left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There is a moderate aroma of sourness in the nose that has notes of grapefruits and oranges.
T: Like the smell, the taste is rather sour but this is very balanced and does not overpower the other flavors, which include notes of oak from the barrel aging and pepper. There is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation; there is some dryness in the finish.
D: It's not too difficult to drink this beer because the sourness in the taste is not overpowering.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip. Batch 559 bottled 7-22-10.
A: Pours a nice cloudy lemon with 1 inch bubbly white head. Good retention and lacing. Very nice for style.
S: The inticing aroma of sweet mellow funk hits a few feet away. Sweet melon, brett funk, green tea, and mild citrus hops. Maybe it's just me, but I get no pumpkin here.
T: Wow, all sorts of stuff hit you at once here. Sweet melon, bitter hops, dry funk, astringent tea, pineapple brett, tart citrus, and faint hints of mineral, mustiness, and pumpkin seeds. Definitely complex, but it hits all at once causing a bit of a jumble.
M: All kinds of stuff here. Sweet, bitter, tart, dry, and a hint of champagne-like tingle. Light body. Enjoyable feel.
D: Very drinkable. Definitely an interesting beer and one you should try at least once. For me, everything hit all at once causing a complex jumble which was a little off-putting. Still a quality brew from a quality brewery. Bring it to a party and watch people's reaction to this one.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks to craytonic for opening up this bottle. Served in a Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Pours peach with a good white head. Faint lacing and a bit of a collar on the way down. The nose carries a bit of light spice and very mild funk. A bit of citrus in there as well. Fairly restrained and not quite in your face like some Jolly Pumpkin offerings. Nice and balanced. Flavor has a bit of light spice plus some citrus. Light earthiness and straw. Light body with a dry finish. Very nice.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Batch #559, Bottled 7/22/10. Shared with my boy VDubb86 after receiving it from my beer of the month club. It pours a very cloudy orange pulp topped by about two fingers of soapy white foam. The nose is mostly sour orange juice (as though a glass of OJ was left out to spoil...), graham crackers, and pinot grigio. Ask VDubb: when I first sipped it, my head shot back in a combination pucker and grimace (though less purple than you'd imagine). A blast of tart ruby red grapefruit hits up front, while a jolt of kelp and seaweed (I assume the kale) shoots down the center of my tongue. Meanwhile, a sea of slightly sour blood orange, pumpkin rind, cilantro, and light black pepper envelopes everything else in a warm embrace. This is so strange and complex that I am left a bit speechless from this point. It's almost too much for its own good. The body is a solid medium, with a light carbonation and a fairly dry, sticky finish. Overall, this was definitely an experience worth having, even if I can't truly express it in as many words as would like to. If you can find it, drink it.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks so much to Derek for sending another great Jolly Pumpkin beer my way. I always look forward to opening these.

A: The pour is a cloudy apricot/peach colored beer with a big head that is just off of white.

S: Like almost any Jolly Pumpkin beer, the nice tartness is immediately noticeable. Quite a bit of fruit such as lemon, peach, and cantaloupe. There's a light spice to it as well as some sweet malts and wet oak. I don't really get a lot of the flavorings, though.

T: A refreshing tartness along with a nice oak flavor and some drying aspects start the flavor. The malt is a bit more pronounced than on the nose, though there's more of a green/grass thing going on here. I think I may actually get some of the kale, too.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation and a dry finish.

D: I wish the pumpkin seeds and kale (and other additives) were more pronounced, but this was a very good beer anyway. A pleasure to drink.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to womencantsail for opening a bottle of this at the post RS party tasting. Poured into a tasting glass.

A - Pours hazy orange with a nice light cap of white head leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - Just like any other jolly pumpkin beer. Nice tart funk mixes well with the pumpkin, light spice, some oak, and a bit of citric fruit, most notably lemon and some peach. Nice balance but nothing too over the top.

T - So they finally made a beer with pumpkin in it. Plenty of tart funk up front mixes well with the pumpkin and other flavors, similar to the nose. Not your typical saison, obviously!, but still very enjoyable. Not overpowering at all, quite refreshing in fact. I really enjoyed this one.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Very nice light, refreshing, feel on the pallet. Finish is funky but it doesn't linger for very long.

D - Very good stuff. I might have to try and get a bottle of this for myself. I really liked how well the pumpkin worked with the typical jolly pumpkin funk.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Color is a medium straw with a tinge of orange. The head is bright white and made up of tiny mousse-like bubbles. It started out several fingers thick and faded to a solid 1/8" that never went away.

S - The smell makes it obvious that this is made with wild fermentation. The smell is tart lemon juice and lambic-like sharpness. At the edge of my perception there is a sweet note that I can't identify that softens the tartness a little. It reminds me of a gueuze lambic aroma.

T - I can't detect any of the exotic ingredients listed on the label. The lemon and sharp astringent tastes dominate everything, but there is some complexity added by spices and a woody or nutty note. I definitely get horse blanket-type tastes as well.

M - The body is medium but is lightened by the high carbonation and the astringent mouthfeel.

D - I am not a huge fan of wild beers, but I find this one enjoyable. It reminds me very much of an authentic gueuze. Beyond the tartness, all the exotic ingredients are lost on my uneducated palate, but it seems balanced and well-made.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Good lookin out drew for crackin this open the other day

Poured a hazy golden orange in color with pale yellow highlights when held up to the light that had a half finger of foamy head and plenty of lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma definitely had the signature jolly pumpkin bretty funky character alongside citrusy, oaky, and mild tart acidic qualities. I really couldn't detect any pumpki or peppercorn character but it had lots of the bretty funky tart flavors with oaky citrus accents and a touch of acidic spice notes. The brew was medium in body with a nice amount of prickly carbonation which had a funky bretty, oaky, citrusy, mild spice, and tart finish. I also ways enjoy a jolly pumpkin beer and this one was no exception. Really glad I got to take a stab at it.

4.21/5  rDev +4%

Just got this interesting 750 and not sure what to expect. A pumpkin saison that is oaked and sour. Hmmm. Lots going on here. I also read it has kale!

Appearance: Very striking deep golden color, almost Lakers colors here. Nice head that fades quick, leaves great lacing. So far, this one is almost too pretty to drink.

Aroma: Lots of good flavors in the nose. Can get the tartness, almost like a nice champaign. I also get a lemony tartness, a tea-like spice, and nice amount of grassy/earthy funk.

Taste: Lots of good levels of flavor here, but not a lot of pure pumpkin taste. Right off the bat, there is some good lemony tartness with a nice mineral spiciness. I get a little bit more of the pumpkin and gourd flavors as I drink.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Not hot at all, very drinkable. Finishes really really dry like a good champaign. Light body with great carbonation.

Overall: Really liked this. Earthy sour. While its ingrediant list isn't all extremely apparent, it is delicious none-the-less.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

Pours a lightly hazed peach yellow with a thick head. Nose is classic Jolly Pumpkin funk, oak, sour qualities up front, followed by an earthy, salty aroma that made me think of the kale on the label. Light citrus and stone fruits. Flavor is oak, brett, lightly sour all the way through, with a light peach sweetness up front, segueing into a fairly dry, "funked up" finish that is very short and a bit salty. Earthy throughout. Larry suggested pumpkin, not knowing that is apparently an ingredient, but I don't really get that after sampling a bunch of actual pumpkin ales over the last month. A bit briny and earthy with a lightly bitter finish, though rife with plenty of under ripe stone fruits. Very good, pretty mature at this age.

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%

Batch 559, Bottled July 22nd, 2010; Sampled October 2010
A carefully pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces a two-finger thick, creamy, pale tan colored head. The beer is a murky amber hue that shows a bright orange tinted, straw-gold hue when held up to the light. The beer smells of tart lactic acid and fruit esters that remind me of pears, a touch of fermented orange juice and perhaps of some sort of melon. Behind this are aromatic notes of musty grain light musky-Brettanomyces notes and in the finish ample straw-like grain, dry-pale wheat-crackers and a hit of raw dough towards the end. I really like the bright lactic note that is in the aroma, it is the defining characteristic, but there is quite a bit of other aromatic notes that play a supporting role here. The musty / musky funkiness that is here plays the secondary role here and between the two I am quite in heaven.

Not quite as tart as I was expecting up front (at least considering the nose), but it does pick up more tartness through the finish. The tartness up front is cut a bit by notes of crushed pale grain and a dough-like malt character. This is very dry tasting and light feeling on the palate; it is not watery, as it does have some lactic slickness to it and a touch of pale malt chewiness (seems almost grain husk derived). The fruitiness of the nose is much reduced due to the dryness, but there is still some notes not unlike a dry perry or a dry, aromatic cider. There is a touch of barnyard muskiness, some cured leather character, a touch of medicinal character (not really acetone like, but something akin to that, but much smoother). There is a touch of oak character here that also helps to accentuate the dryness with flavors of woody black pepper, a touch of spicy oak and a hint of fresh cut oak plank woodiness. As the beer warms up a more floral aspect to the fruitiness becomes noticeable. There is some astringency in the finish a sort of tart, tannic note and some orange pith like notes.

The aroma of this beer had me quite salivating and though the flavor didn't quite live up to that promise this beer is still quite nice. I do like the woody, peppery, dry grain character that the flavor has and the soft lactic acidity is a nice balancing note. The beer softens up, though becomes more tart, and gains more balance while getting more characterful as it warms up; so much so that I definitely recommend drinking this nearer to 60°F rather than 50°F. Easily another beer from Jolly Pumpkin that I wish I had a whole lot more of. This really does hit the ideal of a rustic, slightly wild Saison with its balanced spiciness, very refreshing light body and just enough brightness to make this so nice.

3.47/5  rDev -14.3%

Served in a flared glass mug

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this oddball with me.
Batch #559

This one pours a cloudy pale orange with the consistency of fresh squeezed orange. A slight white foam adorns the surface. The smell is of mimosa that is derived from old champagne and soured orange juice. The smell is actually sour but pleasant. The taste is strong. It is puckeringly sour. The overall is the sour mimosa that was smelled, but the undercurrents are different. The kale is present and giving the beer a mild iron-like taste that comes from a leafy green. The pepper that it was brewed with is there on the back of the tongue, but very weak. The aftertaste is the best part with the pumpkin and spices that usually accompany it. The carbonation is a little light for me because of the medium body. It is so sour that I really don't know how drinkable this beer really is. Thank God I split the bomber with him. A beer unlike any other and worth a taste in the quest for boundary defining beers.

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. I can smell the sweaty funk already. With this, I'm celebrating 4 years on Beer Advocate.

Looks very much like a saison - nice white cap, pretty good lacing. Hazed golden body.

Signature Jolly Pumpkin funk in the nose, but I think this might even be a little stronger than usual. Some notes of horse piss, barnyard corner. Pungent soured fruits and a little squashy bread as well as notes of green anise. It's musty, it's weedy, it's got the farmhouse thing nailed.

Lot of "stuff" added to this beer. Can I pick it all out? Peppercorn....oh yeah, at the back end. Tea, yes, it has a slightly bitter oolong tea flavor that may not be for everyone. Strange but not unpleasant meringue-like creaminess in the aftertaste. Up front, of course, tart apple and lemon/lime. Tart, not so much "sour." Some sips, you get an awesome pumpkin-seed taste. Subtle basil-like flavor near the back, could that be the kale? I don't know, there's so much interacting here, it's hard to determine what's what. Unfocused, but gloriously so.

Sometimes Jolly Pumpkins get a bit jolly with the bubbles, but this has a soft carbonation that is very agreeable.

Always an adventure. It *is* similar to other JP beers in plenty of respects - I know that's one of the knocks on this brewery, that its beers taste same-y - but to me, this is a familiar, well-loved base beer with plenty of interesting subtleties added to chew on. Beyond that, on a more general level, it's just an excellent example of the style. Yes, a style to which I am probably prone to overrating, as it's my favorite - so take this rating with as many grains of salt as you like.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to Derek for sharing this one. Batch 559. Served in a tasting snifter.

A - Pours with a finger of foam that settles to a thin ring and some film, but no lace. The body is hazed orange color.

S - Funk, tropical fruit notes, oaky vanilla, peppercorns. Actually reminds me a little bit of Freedom of '78s guava element in a weird way. Very unusual, but strangely compelling. Not much in the way of pumpkin though.

T - Taste is more mellow, with oak and sour lemon, other tart fruits, and again only the faintest notes of pumpkin and leafy vegetables. Even with all the additional ingredients this doesn't taste too different from other Jolly Pumpkin offerings.

M - Surprisingly zest carbonation, medium body, and a clean, lightly dry finish.

D - I actually enjoyed this quite a bit - the nose was more interesting in the dynamic between the adjuncts, and it had a certain "je ne sais quoi" that kept me reaching for the glass. Would love to try again in a less hectic setting.

3.72/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: Beer pours a cloudy orange with a decently foamy white head.

Smell: Beer smells very funky and sour with some citrus in there as well. Honestly after the deliciously funky/sour smell, I was a little disappointed that this didn't come out as much in the flavor as I had anticipated.

Taste: Oddest part about the taste off the bat is that I didn't really get much pumpkin at all. Taste was somewhat sour, but not overwhelmingly so. After the initial tartness it tasted like fresh-squeezed OJ with hints of the peppercorn and a bit of an earthy bitterness in the finish. My biggest complaint was that the dryness of the beer didn't allow the flavor to stay on your tongue long enough to really get all the flavors hiding in this incredibly complex beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin, light and very dry.

Drinkability: Definitely a drinkable beer, but obviously a little odd. You could easily drink it and miss a lot of the flavors if you're not paying attention. It goes down pretty smooth.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer that might be too complex for its own good. I love the creativity behind this beer, but I think it's perhaps less than the sum of its parts, due partly to the dryness cutting the flavor short and partly to so many different flavors battling for your attention. I'm glad I got to try it since I've never had anything else quite like it, but I probably wouldn't seek it out again given the price tag.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle shared by craytonic. Thanks Matt!

The beer is hazy and orange, with a finger of dense, white head that leaves some decent lacing on the glass. The aroma offers some funky citrus, with some lemon zest and subtle spice. Lots of citrus and funk in the flavor. Delicious Brett character. Quite good. Very drinkable. Smooth on the palate, with a pleasant lingering aftertaste.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

So happy to have this bottle, I cannot thank BA jale enough. But I'll try: Thank you Jim. You always leave me in your debt.

The bottle label states that this beer is "A saison style brewed with kale, pumpkin, and pumpkin seeds. Flavored with more pumpkin, green tea, and peppercorns."

It pours a light golden color with a thick and tightly celled froth. The first pour is hazy and subsequent pours get if anything hazier. It smells a bit like a typical Jolly Pumpkin sour, not a bad thing at all. Barnyard funkiness and Belgian tartness, it smells delicious. Maybe some hints of salt. If you're looking for a pumpkin beer this won't do it for you based on aroma. No spices that I could detect in the nose, just very much like a tart gueuze or lambic.

It tastes extremely good, a first rate American Wild Ale. Tart and citric, a little oak maybe, very hard to get pumpkin or pumpkin seeds. Quite similar to my recollection of Luciérnaga, although with each sip I'm getting stronger hints of pepper and light sea foam (just gonna go with that one, first time for sea foam).

Light bodied and extremely drinkable. I only slowed my consumption rate due to its rarity, I won't get a chance to try it again...

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Peach/orange with a decent sized head and a bit of lacing:

Smell: nice funky tartness with touches of lemons, peach and pear. Bit of spice.

Taste: Very nice, refreshing tartness with a touch of vanilla and oak and spice. Well done

Mouthfeel: Medium/light with similar carbonation.

Overall: Probably my favorite Jolly Pumpkin to-date, a gem.

to view more.