Bambic - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.30% ABV

1560 bottles [330 ml]
180 bottles [750 ml]

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 01-25-2011)

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Review of blend 1 & 2. Both from bottle to pint.

Blend 1 bottled 12/1/10 special oak aged sour ale for 25th anniversary of WLT.  11.2 oz bottle.  Appears hazy golden orange with large foam head that creates good lacing. Smell 38/40 hint of fruit lemon/lime, slight straw and oak. Taste 45/50 tart lemon/lime small hint of straw and oak but more of sweet-tart taste. I find it taste great. Mouthfeel 10/10 high co2, tart with strong dry finish. Total 93/100

Blend 2. Bottled 3/15/2011. Appears the same in looks. Maybe a slight bit mellow, but I wood score the same.

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

On tap at the cafe last night. I killed the keg and Lindsey, the sexy dreaded waitress, was as kind as could be about it.

A slightly hazy yellow, sitting next to a fresh Bam Biere is is noticeably different. A tart aroma with hints of work booty leather and foot. The beer came in a strait sided pint glass with no head but it still smells strong.

Taste is great, tart and fruity. It slides down with an oily texture and a light carbonation cutting the aftertaste down to a mild funk and sour. Awesome all around, a super great brew from JP.

I think of this more as a tart wild ale built for speed, made for consumption. I wouldn't save a 12 oz bottle for three years and sip with my pinky out. I would pour it by the pint with friends, eat truffle fries and wonder about the girls with the big dreadlocks.

Jolly Pumpkin- Will you be my girl?

Photo of
4.73/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Jolly Pumpkin pub in Ann Arbor.

Served in straight sided tumbler, just like straight lambic would be served in a Brussels cafe. It pretty much tastes like straight lambic from Brussels, too. This is not an aggressive beer, it is gently sour and vinous, with flavors of white wine, lemon, green grapes, and a wheat-like softness. The subtle funk is very well-integrated and blends seemlessly with the other complex flavours.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a lightly hazy yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, sweet peaches, sweet yeast, and a note of funky cheese. In the taste, sour peach skins, and just a touch acidic, but WOW, is this tasty! A sour bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dryer sour peach skin in the aftertaste. Sour all day, dry peach skins, and not too overly acidic.

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

Ron Jeffries hit the nail on the head once again for this beer. I absolutely loved it.

Pour-Had that beautiful hazy clouded tinged yellowish golden color to it. It had a bit of nice white head on it. The carbonation was perfect.

Smell-Does anything smell as good as lambic that's been sitting for awhile and fermenting? I detected brett, lemon grass, citrus,spice and tropical fruits. Of course I usually received that beautiful punch in the nose aroma of sour funkiness mixed with Oak.

Taste-The most enjoyable part of this beer. Very acidic and enough tartness to make you want to pucker. I love it. I got some earthy notes from the taste as well as some tropical fruits citrus and lemon. Finishes with tartness that put Jolly Pumpkin on the map.

Mouthfeel-As always the case with his beers. The feel is very crisp. Full mouthfeel and a long finish.

Overall I loved this beer. Ron Jeffries really hit a home run with this beer. Excellent sour beer. It is true that it is a bit tamer than the traditional lambics such as Hansens and Drie Fontein or Cantillon but I don't it's meant to compete with those. I wish I could my hands on some more of this stuff. This beer to me is a perfect example of why Ron Jeffries can put along side Vinnie Cilurzo as the best sour brewers in the United States.

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

11.2oz bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Blend 1, Bottled 12-01-10 on the back. Thanks to bay01 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a cloudy golden orange color that produced a beautiful white fluffy head with superb retention behind it. Lots of lacing once it finally started to dissipate.

(S)- A bone dry earthy funk with hints at an acidic lemon, grapefruit, and white grape fruit background.

(T)- Similar to the smell in some ways. A superb sour and acidic bite up front mixed with a brett-heavy earthy funk and super tart lemon and grapefruit notes. Finishes bone dry too with more acidity.

(M)- A nice crisp carbonation level with a great balance of flavors: sour, fruits, and funk. Lots of clay-like earth with the brett aspect really drives this home with the heavy acidity.

(D)- One of Jolly Pumpkins best beers I have had to date in my opinion. A great wild ale with everything you could and should expect from the style. A great sour kick and brett-funk driven beer.

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Had out of Duvel style bottle bought from the brewery

A: Straw yellow with about one finger creamy head that sticks around

S: Smells fruity, barnyard, and a little acedic

T: I think this has a great balance of fruity belgiany esters and sourness. The sourness is definitely noticable but is not overpowering. Delicious

M: Good carbonation, not sticky or over or undercarbonated.

D: Very drinkable for a beer blended with lambic, wish I could have gotten more of these.

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Thanks Dave for busting out this 750, it's been on the radar for awhile!
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours a peachy opaque orange, a wispy skim across the surface after it settles down relatively quickly to other JP beers. Spotty lace all around the glass.

Acidic, tart fruits, lychee, passion fruit, grapefruit. Lactic tartness alternating with a slight natural fruit sweetness later on as it warms.

Pink grapefruit, peach, lychee... the fruity tropical citrus flavors dominate. Intensely fruity, tart, and dry. Tannic oak dries out the finish, cidery with a slight stickiness on the lips. Effervescent and lush with juicy fruit flavors. I could easily drink this all day and would never tire of it. Super fruit forward, not intensely sour, and very quenching. What's not to like?

Note to Jolly Pumpkin: Please put this into regular distribution! TIA

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Bottle shared at Hill Farmstead Gathering by a generous unknown advocate. Fabulous aroma, a nice mix of lambic and saison. The funky barnyard meets citrus rinds and yeast. I love the yeast profile here. Flavors of lemon and yeast leads to a dry finish along with some lactic notes. Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Awesome wild ale, as close as it gets to a real lambic.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

11.2 oz bottle purchased at Winking Lizard. Blend 1, bottled on 12-1-10. Pours copper with a small head. Big lemon aroma with a touch of barnyard and Belgian yeast. Flavor is really lemony with some tart funk and a crisp finish. This beer is awesome and extremely drinkable. Not as bracingly sour as Lambicus and a bit more interesting than Bam... the best of both. I see a lot of negative reviews here, and I guess if you're not a sour fan I can see the point. But if you like sours, this is a really good beer... although the price is fairly insane.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

The beer appears straw yellow colored with 3/4" white head which leaves a thick sheet of sticky lacing slowly cascading down the snifter.

The aroma is delightful. Sour, funk, grass, lemons, lemon zest, pepper.

The flavor is equally enjoyable. Complex and well balanced. Loads of funk with a floral hop finish. Lemons and a hint of assorted citrus. Really drinkable. I would love to have more of this. One of the most delicious beers I have had from Jolly Pumpkin.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

First of all, a huge thanks to both sirotan and GuruDel for hooking me up with a couple bottles of this amazing beer from JP. Thanks again and cheers!

Second of all, I just do not understand why the Chicago crowd (I'm from Chicago...) absolutely ripped this a new one. I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinions but something doesn't add up here...oh well, not my problem.

Split with my brother-in-law in memory of my grandfather. We miss and love you!

Appearance - Pours into a Ladyface Tulip with a hazy golden straw color. About a finger of fizzy white head is achieved with a careful pour (read this may be a gusher - no such case here - perfect amount of carbonation). The head dissipates slowly and leaves nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Damn is that a potent aroma. More funk than I can remember in most JP beers, lactic sourness, slight wood (not so much rotting as others have mentioned), barnyard, wet hay, and some nice strawberry and banana aromas along with Belgian spice/yeast.

Taste - Thankfully similar to the nose. Acidic and nice tartness up front. More tart than any JP beers I can think of off the top of my head (that I've tried). More so lemon and green apple peel tart flavors emerge as the beer warms, the typical and even more so than average barnyard funk midway through, and finishes dry and spicy with a hint of vanilla and oak.

Mouthfeel - Lighter bodied, decent carbonation, finishes a hint dry.

Drinkability - Immensely so. One of my favorite JP beers. I find it different than the "normal" line up of JP beers which makes it so intriguing to me...because it IS out of the ordinary of their typical beer. Absolutely can't wait to have this again and am SO thankful to my fellow BA's for hooking me up with this beer. Downright tasty.

Bambic from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales