Saranac Pumpkin Ale - Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

Beer added by: JackStraw22 on 09-01-2005

Reviews: 434 | Hads: 1,148
Reviews by Utica_Brew_Review:
4.65/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Light copper amber color with decent head and moderate carbonation. Clove, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and especially pumpkin notes in the aroma. The notes in the aroma are reflected in the taste. Very balanced. Not heavy or too light. The very many flavor notes aren't overpowered by the malt, hops, or alcohol. This year is our favorite brew of this beer yet. Finishes with more flavor and less alcohol. Cheers!

4.34/5  rDev +25.8%

The low BA ratings on what seems like most of the Pumpkin Ales can be deceptive. I found myself embracing the style this Autumn, and ignoring a lot of subjective reviews/ratings in the Ones and Twos (so many varieties rank in the Seventies likely due to many tasting their first ever Pumpkin Ale). That said, I grabbed the last 12 pack of Saranac Pumpkin Ale that Price Chopper had in the cooler at a very fair price of $13.99

Medium dark copper pour, an inch of fluffy head takes a dive quickly and laces the tulip nicely.

Aroma is of the sweeter Pumpkin Ale variety,all the usual suspects for spices blending in,some graham cracker crust part of the mix,and the ginger was dialed down where it should be,yet present.

Taste immediately starts out sweet,and sort of fades sweet/spicy: not getting any appreciable hint of bitter hop counterbalance, which is an element that is palatable to some, and not to others. In other words, this is more of a pumpkin pie ale less than an ale with pumpkin spices. I view the difference in the two styles as the brewer's interpretation. Saranac reminds me very much of Southern Tier Pumking (though Pumking is an Imperial), except lighter on the booze (8% vs 5.1%) and in a very wallet friendly 12 pack format. Hoppier Pumkin Ales are fine by me when done properly (i.e. Long Trail brush & barrel Imperial Pumpkin), just a different interpretation of the style.

Mouthfeel is medium and I understand the somewhat syrupy angle other reviewers have mentioned,but not a real detraction if the sweeter pumpkin pie spice bombs appeal to you like they do me. Not a beer I would care to finish more than 2 or 3 in a sitting personally.

Overall, my impression of Saranac Pumpkin Ale is quite favorable, and it might even be the second biggest pleasant surprise of the season (the first being the much maligned Wolaver's Organic Pumpkin Ale earning the GOLD MEDAL at the 2014 GABF amongst 52 competing entries, despite the dismal ratings here on BA). Lots of great Pumpkin Ales out there that don't even make it into the 80s for ratings, add Saranac to the list.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Admittedly I am not a fan of pumpkin pie but I always look forward to the fall pumpkin beer each year,this poured a light copper with a 1/2 finger white head that was gone quite fast seems to be quite carbonated and somewhat spritzey.Pumpkin spice mainly in the nose cinnamon and mace stick out mainly a hint of nutmeg and an underlying toasted grain character,a sharp even light mouthfeel didnt like the feeling of that much.Subdued spice flavors not over the top quite pleasant nutmeg and cinnamon mainly even a touch of butter.Not bad flavors but the thin sharp mouthfeel is undesirable in my mind and it takes away from its drinkability,not bad but wont seek out again.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

2.4/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

You know how badly beer tastes if you drink it right after you brush your teeth? Well, the first time I had Saranac Pumpkin Ale, that's how it tasted - except I hadn't brushed my teeth before drinking it. I felt maybe something else was wrong, so I waited until I had my second bottle - this one - to review it.

It's a bit darker colored than I'd like it. Perhaps an effect from too much pumpkin? I'm not picking up very much in the nose. Too much pumpkin, or not enough spices - probably a bit of both problems. The taste was a big letdown. I was hoping for something generously spiced and lively, but unfortunately, this beer has the same cardboard/packing materials flavor (and scent) as Wild Goose's Pumpkin Patch. It's not as bad, or strange, as the aforementioned beer, but it is certainly not fun to drink, either.

I dont want to finish the 6 pack I bought, and hopefully I can find people that like it that I can give it to.

2.66/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The beer was a dark amber color with a thin white head. It had a vaguely spice aroma. Taste was pretty much all cinnamon and clove. Couldn't really appreciate anything else. The beer was too spiced and not enough malt to be very good. Won't drink it again.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a deep amber color with very good clarity. Its head is thin, white in color and fades quickly leaving a few bubbles on top and no lacing.

Smell: A strong spicy aroma hits you in the nose. Cinnamon and clove are the stand out spices.

Taste/Mouth feel: Wow this starts off with a big spicy kick in the mouth. Allspice, bitter cinnamon and clove overpower the malt that has some toasted and caramel notes. The pumpkin flavor is really hidden deep under the spicy character of this beer. A more apt name for this beer would be Saranac Spice Ale. The spicy character fades off a touch and hop bitterness picks up before slowly fading off into the finish. Its palate is smooth and slick with mild carbonation inside its medium body.

Notes: Overall it's a little bit too unbalanced on the spicy side.

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%

This was a light pumpkin ale. It had a decent flavor, but it was very artificial. It tasted like someone took a lager and poured some pumpkin spice syrup into it. It wasn't bad, but not nearly as good as other pumpkin ales that I've had. This is one of my favorite styles of beers, and even though it's not my preference in this style, I seem to find myself drinking it more often than others in the category. I stocked up on this last fall and enjoyed them all summer. That was a good life decision.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Dark tawny

SMELL: Vanilla, licorice root, all spice, mild pumpkin meat

TASTE: Crisp, lighter body, spicy, clean grain, root beer, faint pumpkin, dark bread, herbal

Not half bad, perhaps not at beery as I was hoping for. The spice does not get annoying at all and there is enough malt flavor to keep things interesting.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle. W/O any freshness or bottling date info that I can find.

Pours near clear darker amber, typical khaki head, thats on the small side, larger bubble and fading quickly. Leaves a moderate collar and middling strands of thicker lace.

Just a hint of cinnamon on the nose.

On the thin side both body wise and flavor wise. Has some typical fall spicing on the palate, but also a slight artificial flavor note. Plastic? Ehh...definatly not my favorite pumkin beer....

Would likely work fine to quaff a few on a nice fall day, decent to try with a newbie getting into better beer...but there are plenty of better pumpkin beers out there

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

Not too strong of an odor, but that could be a good thing when it comes to Pumpkin beer. The taste is pretty balanced between cinnamon and nutmeg, but it isn't overpowering or grainy like some other Pumpkins I have recently tried. Overall it's a pretty decent brew, and I could see myself having a few this season.

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

First pumpkin beer of the season. On tap at Union Ale House.

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, dark orange-brown in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin

Taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin--light bread and caramel

Mouthfeel: sweet, moderate carbonation, medium/light bodied

Drinkability: Not usually impressed with Saranac but this was surprisingly good. This was not too bitter nor too sweet. The spicing was done well. As a seasonal, I could do six of these easy.

4.52/5  rDev +31%