1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Saranac Pumpkin Ale - Matt Brewing Company

Saranac Pumpkin AleSaranac Pumpkin Ale

Matt Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: JackStraw22 on 09-01-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saranac Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

timjim1327, Aug 16, 2013

flavurflave, Sep 07, 2014

danimarie, Sep 08, 2014
1.4/5  rDev -58.8%

A horribly overspiced mess. Flavored way too heavily with nutmeg and allspice. It masks any favorable attribute to the brew. Terrible bitter aftertaste that lingers forever. A real disappointment. Not what I was expecting from a brewery that usually puts out a decent product.

Hoagie1973, Feb 09, 2008
1.45/5  rDev -57.4%

12oz bottle. drank straight from the bottle.

A - orange/amber color. lot's of carbonation, but i don't think it would have given the beer a head. (the color was noted as i was pouring it down the drain.)

S - pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger?, cloves, metal

T - very metal overly spicy pumpkin taste. the spices are the same as listed above. (this description of the taste is the best I could do as I did not want to keep this wretched liquid on my palate for any extended period of time....drainpour)

M - lots and lots of carbonation, which kind of made the beer seem more bitter.

D - awful. just awful. i LOVE pumpkin anything and I love spices, but this was an abomination to beer and to pumpkins everywhere.

bowersdm, Feb 25, 2009

ChefHopMeister, Nov 04, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -48.5%

jfoley84, Dec 20, 2012
1.86/5  rDev -45.3%

I was excited to try this selection for the Halloween season. I was very disappointed. I poured bottle into a glass. I could not taste pumpkin or any other spices at all! It was as if I were drinking a bad Rolling Rock. Would not recommend this to my friends.

BSharpy, Nov 03, 2013
1.99/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Appearance: Dark amber beer, w/ some head, doesn't really dissipate. This is on the cusp of darkness from what i'd expect out of a pumpkin ale. A bit too dark, appears to me more like a lager.

Smelling: Spices and pumpkin fill my nostrils, exactly what i would expect from a pumpkin beer. Sweet pumpkin w/ a hearty smell.

Taste: Tastes just like run of the mill beer. No real pumpkin taste to it. I can taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Light beer, w/ a high amount of condensation. Not what i was expecting from a pumpkin ale.

Overall: Really disappointed by this beer. A bit darker than expected. Smell was exactly what i'd expect but nothing spectacular. Tastewise this beer just doesn't cut it at all. Mouthfeel just confirms the taste being sub par.

Fergyx825, Aug 24, 2013

heddar33, Apr 08, 2014

odbjs735, May 07, 2012

metalblack, Nov 10, 2012

Johnnyv310, May 30, 2013

Dual45s, May 22, 2012

Wortman1998, Oct 23, 2013

12 oz. bottle with a label that's black in color and with a grinning Jack O' Lantern. To the left of the Pumpkin is that bar code and Deposit and to the right of the Pumpkin is the Govt. warning. Information about the beer along with a picture of pint glass filled with beer can be found around the small neck label. No date can be found anywhere on the label. It's just an average simple non- threatening non-offensive Pumpkin Ale label. This makes for my very first Pumpkin Ale review.

Appearance: When poured into a Beck's American Pint glass, the beer was a dark chestnut brown color with a skim of white foam that just disappeared in front of my eyes and left maybe some white rings that lasted only few seconds and no lace around the glass.

Smell: The smell was that of very subtle spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice), hint of cloves, with a background of burned canned pumpkin. I really didn't care for the aroma in this beer. Not good.

Taste: Very little Pumpkin taste in this, if that. There were more spices like nutmeg and cinnamon then a pumpkin taste. The best way I can describe it is, if you make a pumpkin pie with all the spices with a pinch hops and then when it's done you remove the pumpkin. That's what this beer taste like. All you get a a touch of pumpkin. At least there was some pumpkin flavor to this beer.

Mouthfeel: It was very light, little carbonation, and with a slight aftertaste of spice and burnt hops. Not much going on after the light pumpkin taste goes down your throat.

Drinkability: Basically this beer was a lot like the label. It was non-offensive, non threatening, and very little was going on. What can I say, at least it's cheap. I couldn't commit to buying a six-pack and only bought a single. I'm glad I only got one bottle.

AltBock, Sep 24, 2006

kbettenh, Oct 27, 2013

Stunmai, Nov 18, 2011
2.04/5  rDev -40%

JStewart00, Aug 20, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured fairly dark for a pumpkin ale. The aroma was very strong with the spices.

Yuck. The spice totally takes over in this beer. Also, I find the pumpkin in the flavor to be poor. The pumpkin somehow manages to stick out over the spices in a way that reminds me of the smell of my jack-o-lantern after it has sat in the rain for a week.

I will not buy this one again. I have tried a few other pumpkin ales. I like the style, just not this one.

wampahoofus, Oct 09, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -37.4%

A- From a bottle, nothing special. Copper color, fluffy head didn't keep long.
S- This kept me interested. It was spicy, but hints that the taste might be a bit sweet too.
T- Well, so much for pumpkin beer. It tasted like clove beer, mixed with cloves, with a dash of clove spice for good measure. Was not expecting this.
M- Decent carbonation, probably should have paid more attention to this but I just wanted to get it down.
D- Not good. I actually did not mind this beer towards the end, but I was put off by the clove taste, if you could not tell from my previous comments.
Overall- I was pretty excited for this, it was my first pumpkin ale of the season. I was sorely disappointed. Not Saranac's finest showing.

red1sox, Sep 10, 2010