Saranac High Peaks Series Imperial IPA - Matt Brewing Company

Saranac High Peaks Series Imperial IPASaranac High Peaks Series Imperial IPA

good

Matt Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Kendo on 12-23-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saranac High Peaks Series Imperial IPA Alström Bros
4.21/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.54/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.33/5  rDev -7%

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is going to be a snarky review but my past experience with Saranac always left me underwhelmed if not downright offended.
I have never been driven to write a review for a beer but I was motivated after finishing this beer. Not because it transcended Imperial IPAs. Not because it was the tastiest or was a "Heady" or "Pliny" clone. I simply decided to review this beer because I have never-ever-ever had a GOOD Saranac beer until now. OK maybe Saranac Legacy IPA was OK (just OK) as well. This may even have been the first Saranac I have ever finished and didn't immediately have another beer to erase the taste and memories of the Saranac.
This is far superior to the previous incarnation of High Peaks Imperial and the one I drank today had a different label than shown on BA (it's still ugly as hell but all Saranac's labels are bland and unoriginal but don't judge this beer on its label).
Everything about this beer does nothing to stand out from the pack BUT it also does not offend or taste like the rest of Saranac's line (which all seems to taste the same regardless of the name or beer type: I've had 12 pack samplers where it tasted like I bought 12 of the same beers). If this was an early offering from a new brewery I would think the place had potential. Knowing it's a Saranac means it's likely an outlier, never to be matched again, and the 2015 version will be boring.
But if you ever have the urge to try or revisit Saranac this is the one beer to try. A 4-pack ran $9.99 by me in NY which was a good deal for a GOOD DIPA.

I am a tough grader and consider 3 to be a good beer (doesn't mean I would try it again just means I wouldn't turn it down if offered). So I gave it Low 3's. Puts it just north of good. Maybe Saranac is turning a corner here? I've seen positive things about their Big Moose Ale on BA so I might be inclined to try more Saranac based on my experience with this beer.

4.36/5  rDev +21.8%

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

An impressive upgrade over the previous version of Saranac's Imperial IPA from the High Peaks Series.

Extremely fruit forward hop aroma with a good level of hop bitterness to match it. Slightly on the sweet side in terms of the malt sweetness, but pairs well with the overall composition of this beer. If I had a negative remark on this beer, it may be a bit too fruit forward with the hops, but I'm guessing this would not be negative mark from most hop heads.

The best hoppy beer I've seen from Saranac to date.

3.96/5  rDev +10.6%

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.92/5  rDev +9.5%

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

12oz bottle in a 4pk. I cannot believe this beer. A total revamp of their otherwise malty imperial IPA. This new label and liquid is superb. Floral, hoppy and just straight up balanced and delicious. I suggest if you doubt these guys then you owe it to yourself to try this beer. I like their legacy ipa and pale (which has been tasting better lately too)

3.99/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle. New label. Looks much better. The beer pours semi-hazed. Light head. Aroma is heavily citrusy. Some good tropical hop fruits. Citra comes out pretty noticeably. Smells sweet, too. The. Hops almost smell somewhat sweet. The flavor is more coercively hoppy. It still maintains that citrusy and fruity flavor. Sweet malt presence that is backed by some hoppy fruit sweetness. They must have changed the recipe for this beer because it's yummy and is much better than its rating. Fuller bodied. Pretty bitter. Mellowed carbonation. Some alcohol heat. I enjoyed this beer a bunch.

3.36/5  rDev -6.1%