Saranac Summer Brew - Matt Brewing Company

Matt Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  3.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Not to be confused with Saranac Summer Ale ... this is a German Radler: A refreshing blend of lemonade and lager.

(Beer added by: yesyouam on 05-05-2009)
Reviews by al3:
1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

Not really sure if you can qualify this as beer, it certainly does not taste like it. I guess I was expecting something like a lemon version of Buffalo Bills Orange Cream Ale, which I though was a relatively good balance between the beer and fruit flavors. Saranac would have been better off calling this a Shandy or something other than "Brew". Anyway for what it's worth:

A - golden yellow, average top..looks like beer

S - get some lemon, but still could be beer

T&M - really no beer here, not even a decent lemon flavor, overly sweet, cloying. Finish is syrupy and well...just bad

D - drainpour

This concept works well with ice tea, not so much with lager...

al3, Jun 11, 2010

generallee, Aug 29, 2012
2.95/5  rDev +5%

Pours out with the lightest shade of pale yellow gold I've ever seen in a brew, it's a few spectrums away from Bud light. Head forms with tight bubbles, and sticks around for quite a bit, chunky uneven lace clings to my pils glass. Aroma sharp lemongrass with a heavy lemon peel nod as well, but not much malt or herbal hops going on. Drinks like a Mike's hard lemonade with less cloying sweetness a sugary blast of lemony tartness, tastes like it good induce some diabetes or at the very least a toothache. Really not offensive to me after one and it drinks relatively smooth, never had any other blended beers I'll have to try the real thing in Germany some day to compare. Mouthfeel is super light alcohol is non existent, background light beer with heavy lemon concentrate. I don't know about this one I don't think I could drink this in number or if I want to drink this any time soon.

WVbeergeek, Jul 21, 2009

Saranac- Summer Brew

A- Light flat yellow, no bubbles, and no head.
S- Light sweet lemony aroma. Very sugary.
T- Very sweet and lemony slight wheat touch.
M- Blahh flat and sugary.

Overall- I'll pass on this. I would drink regular lemonade instead.

NJpadreFan, Jun 04, 2009
1.55/5  rDev -44.8%

Pours a very light, clear yellow with one finger of head that fades quickly. Smells like a typical pilsner, but with a hint of lemon. Taste is a blend of a pilsner and avery sugary, syrupy lemonade. Mouthfeel is thicker than one would expect almost syrupy on the tongue; very little carbonation to help out.

This beer has an awful flavor and mouthfeel. Sugary cough syrup. Absolute drain pour. I will never pick this up again.

tdm168, Aug 05, 2011

Damian74Shensky, Dec 07, 2012

odbjs735, May 07, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I can't decide if I like this beer. It's definitely different than any other beer that I have had. Slight resemblence to Bud Light Lime but more of a beer taste and bitter on the back end. You can definitely taste both the beer and lemonade. The bitterness on the back end stands out just like a sweet lemonade. The taste itself is decent if you can get used to drinking lemonade and beer at the same time. Great on a hot summer day which is what they were going for so I'd recommend it.

Treyliff, Sep 18, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -42%

Lager and lemonade with natural flavors.

A: Poured a very light macro-gold with a frothy 1 finger bright white head that turned soapy and quickly collapsed within the first minute of pour. A soapy ring lacing with an initial strong macro-bubbly carbonation only fuels the macro-like appearance.

S: The nose or rather lack of was hard to rate as there wasn't much to go on here. Imagine if you will watered down lemonade. If you divulge even deeper the faintest hints of light straw and grains can be detected if you concentrate, close your eyes and dream a little dream. This manages a unimpressive rating here by default simply because there was nothing here to offend or justify a bad rating.

T: The flavor was tart watery lemonade, tangy and citric. The lemonade flavor truly dominates here overshadowing any beer quality. Bitter sweet lemons linger a bit on the finish. Honestly comes off as an overcarbonated, ripe lemonade wine cooler.

M: watery and razor thin. Wishy washy of sour lemonade lacing the tongue upon the swallow. Its as bad as it gets and should be a standard for a 1.0 rating.

D: This is an early dumper. Youll struggle and question anything beyond that. The trick here is to drink the beer rapidly, honestly don't even let it touch your tongue, just throw it down the back of your throat to limit its offensive nature, which is the only way I could manage to continue drinking this. Choose one of the other lemonade or beer to quench your thirst, sometimes the best of both worlds really isnt.

beerthulhu, Aug 13, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

This doesn't taste like beer, but then again I didn't expect it to. Smells like lemon. Sweet lemon flavors up front with a beer-like aftertaste which I admit sounds terrible, but it actually works for me. It has a light but somehow still syrupy mouthfeel. It's not a serious beer, but I'd definitely drink it on a hot summer day.

wfuqua, May 10, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -11%

LJWalker, Feb 08, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a nice golden yellow with a nice white head and great carbonation. The smell is grainy with subtle malt, lots of sweet and some lemonade smells as well. The taste is either carbonated lemonade or sugary beer. It isn't terrible, but interesting. The mouthfeel is light, somewhat refreshing, the high sugar content detracts from the overall flavor. I can't see having more than one of these, is was an ok beer, but the sugary taste keeps me from having more.

wingman14, May 15, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +25.6%

12oz bottle.
A) Straw color. Transparent. Upward CO2. Pours with with a tight two finger head then settles to a thin and somewhat sticky lacing.
S) Wheaty. Sugary sweet. Dry grain.
T) Wheaty. Lemonade. Light hops in the finish. Dry grains in the aftertaste. Soda-esque.
M) Crisp. Bubbly. Dry in the aftertaste. Gritty.
D) Great for a hot summer day. I'd drink another on a hot day.

u2carew, Aug 16, 2009

jaydoc, Jan 05, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -15.3%

. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

mikesgroove, Jun 24, 2011

Poured a bottle of this (and I'll be nice) 'stuff' on a balmy June evening. First impression upon smelling it....this is going to be undrinkable. I understand that this is (as they put it) "Beer & Lemonade", which I was in the mood for, but duuuude, drinking this crap made me long for a (ghasp) Mike's Hard Lemonade. This 'beer' is extremely acidic, tart, and harsh all at once. Appearance (not that it really matters) is terrible as well. After having two painful sips of it, I had had enough. I poured it down my bathroom sink, went to brush my teeth 45 minutes later and the entire bathroom STILL reeked of this garbage. Saranac, I love you, but pull this piss off the shelves ASAP.

HeroicDoses, Jun 11, 2010

tclapper, Nov 17, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -43.1%

-Looks like a combination of bud light and lemonade
-Smells like beer...
-Tastes like I'm drinking lemonade... not too impressed. It reminds me of Mikes Hard Lemonade with a tint of a beer taste
-It feels like I'm drinking juice, I chugged one and i didn't burp... just like drinking juice
-its easy to drink but i would only recommend it if your girlfriend doesn't like beer.... the Sam Adams summer brew is so much better.

jmarvin4189, May 06, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -11%

Amalak, Jul 15, 2013
1.13/5  rDev -59.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Clear yellow body, with a small white head. Minimal and thin lacing. Aroma reminds me a bit of a soured Heineken. Now to the taste. I want to like the taste. My friend David was excited to share this bottle with me so I wanna lie and tell him I like the taste. I wanna stretch the truth and tell him it isn't bad. He's going to own a brewery someday and I don't want to discourage him by telling him I don't understand how he can like this beer. But alas, this beer is disgusting and apparently has mixed two flavors that should never be mixed. I honestly can't finish the 6 ounces or so that he poured for me. Fowl and medicinal and sour and a mess, a big disgusting mess. Good thing I'm holding back. I love lemonade and I love beer but OH MY LANDS!!!! He says its much different and better on tap, but you can't polish a turd.

KickbacksSteve, Aug 15, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a nice golden yellow with a medium bodied and light white colored head that laces the glass a bit on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet light toasted malts and then lemonade?? I had to look at the bottle to see how much lemon they had put into it. Sure enough, it was beer mixed with lemonade which made a lot of sense to my senses now.
T: Like the aroma, lemonade is one of the big flavors along with toasted malts and a hint of citrus-y hops. Interesting, it was a strange taste to me but it wasn't bad and it was kind of refreshing.
M: Very crisp, light bodied, sweet, I wasn't sure if it needed to be more carbonated but it wasn't over carbonated.
D: Pretty drinkable, it was really sweet but that is to be expected once I read the label. All around pretty interesting.

erosier, May 15, 2010

JohneHoodlum, Dec 09, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

bryc9194, Feb 18, 2014

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a lot of lemon along with light caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a sweet lemonade flavor that is followed by mildly bready flavors from lager yeast and a thin malt character. The hops presence is very mild and brings a little balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily since it's so light, not filling at all, very mild kick, there are several other summer beers that I would choose first.

TheManiacalOne, Feb 02, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -40.2%

The idea of a beer-lemonade mix doesn't really appeal to me, so perhaps I shouldn't have bought this beer. However, I love Saranac, so I figured I'd give this beer a shot. I have to say, this is the first Saranac that I really have flat out disliked.

Appearance - Pours very pale, which is to be expected given its beer-lemonade hybrid-status.

Smell - overpowering, sweet lemon.

Taste - Far sweeter than I expected, even for a beer & lemonade mix. The sugar is overpowering. It totally kills the palate, and even left me feeling a bit nauseous.

Mouthfeel - light, and very carbonated. Did Saranac pump carbonation into the lemonade? Something doesn't feel right. That carbonation is so intense that you can actually feel a lively bubbling on your tongue, almost like a toned-down version of Pop Rocks.

Drinkability - even on a hot day, one is more than I want.

Bottom-line: if you like really sweet beer-hybrids, give it a go. I'll be the first to admit that I generally don't like sweet beers, so I'm not surprised that I didn't like this one. However, be forewarned: this beer failed to meet my low expectations for a beer-lemonade mix.

AlHam, May 02, 2009