Saranac Summer Brew - Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  3.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: yesyouam on 05-05-2009

Not to be confused with Saranac Summer Ale ... this is a German Radler: A refreshing blend of lemonade and lager.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 70 | Reviews: 47
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.98/5  rDev +6%

Pours out with the lightest shade of pale yellow gold I've ever seen in a brew, it's a few spectrums away from Bud light. Head forms with tight bubbles, and sticks around for quite a bit, chunky uneven lace clings to my pils glass. Aroma sharp lemongrass with a heavy lemon peel nod as well, but not much malt or herbal hops going on. Drinks like a Mike's hard lemonade with less cloying sweetness a sugary blast of lemony tartness, tastes like it good induce some diabetes or at the very least a toothache. Really not offensive to me after one and it drinks relatively smooth, never had any other blended beers I'll have to try the real thing in Germany some day to compare. Mouthfeel is super light alcohol is non existent, background light beer with heavy lemon concentrate. I don't know about this one I don't think I could drink this in number or if I want to drink this any time soon.

Saranac- Summer Brew

A- Light flat yellow, no bubbles, and no head.
S- Light sweet lemony aroma. Very sugary.
T- Very sweet and lemony slight wheat touch.
M- Blahh flat and sugary.

Overall- I'll pass on this. I would drink regular lemonade instead.

1.63/5  rDev -42%

Pours a very light, clear yellow with one finger of head that fades quickly. Smells like a typical pilsner, but with a hint of lemon. Taste is a blend of a pilsner and avery sugary, syrupy lemonade. Mouthfeel is thicker than one would expect almost syrupy on the tongue; very little carbonation to help out.

This beer has an awful flavor and mouthfeel. Sugary cough syrup. Absolute drain pour. I will never pick this up again.

3.14/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I can't decide if I like this beer. It's definitely different than any other beer that I have had. Slight resemblence to Bud Light Lime but more of a beer taste and bitter on the back end. You can definitely taste both the beer and lemonade. The bitterness on the back end stands out just like a sweet lemonade. The taste itself is decent if you can get used to drinking lemonade and beer at the same time. Great on a hot summer day which is what they were going for so I'd recommend it.

1.66/5  rDev -40.9%

Lager and lemonade with natural flavors.

A: Poured a very light macro-gold with a frothy 1 finger bright white head that turned soapy and quickly collapsed within the first minute of pour. A soapy ring lacing with an initial strong macro-bubbly carbonation only fuels the macro-like appearance.

S: The nose or rather lack of was hard to rate as there wasn't much to go on here. Imagine if you will watered down lemonade. If you divulge even deeper the faintest hints of light straw and grains can be detected if you concentrate, close your eyes and dream a little dream. This manages a unimpressive rating here by default simply because there was nothing here to offend or justify a bad rating.

T: The flavor was tart watery lemonade, tangy and citric. The lemonade flavor truly dominates here overshadowing any beer quality. Bitter sweet lemons linger a bit on the finish. Honestly comes off as an overcarbonated, ripe lemonade wine cooler.

M: watery and razor thin. Wishy washy of sour lemonade lacing the tongue upon the swallow. Its as bad as it gets and should be a standard for a 1.0 rating.

D: This is an early dumper. Youll struggle and question anything beyond that. The trick here is to drink the beer rapidly, honestly don't even let it touch your tongue, just throw it down the back of your throat to limit its offensive nature, which is the only way I could manage to continue drinking this. Choose one of the other lemonade or beer to quench your thirst, sometimes the best of both worlds really isnt.

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

This doesn't taste like beer, but then again I didn't expect it to. Smells like lemon. Sweet lemon flavors up front with a beer-like aftertaste which I admit sounds terrible, but it actually works for me. It has a light but somehow still syrupy mouthfeel. It's not a serious beer, but I'd definitely drink it on a hot summer day.

2.74/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a nice golden yellow with a nice white head and great carbonation. The smell is grainy with subtle malt, lots of sweet and some lemonade smells as well. The taste is either carbonated lemonade or sugary beer. It isn't terrible, but interesting. The mouthfeel is light, somewhat refreshing, the high sugar content detracts from the overall flavor. I can't see having more than one of these, is was an ok beer, but the sugary taste keeps me from having more.

3.51/5  rDev +24.9%

12oz bottle.
A) Straw color. Transparent. Upward CO2. Pours with with a tight two finger head then settles to a thin and somewhat sticky lacing.
S) Wheaty. Sugary sweet. Dry grain.
T) Wheaty. Lemonade. Light hops in the finish. Dry grains in the aftertaste. Soda-esque.
M) Crisp. Bubbly. Dry in the aftertaste. Gritty.
D) Great for a hot summer day. I'd drink another on a hot day.

2.41/5  rDev -14.2%

. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Poured a bottle of this (and I'll be nice) 'stuff' on a balmy June evening. First impression upon smelling it....this is going to be undrinkable. I understand that this is (as they put it) "Beer & Lemonade", which I was in the mood for, but duuuude, drinking this crap made me long for a (ghasp) Mike's Hard Lemonade. This 'beer' is extremely acidic, tart, and harsh all at once. Appearance (not that it really matters) is terrible as well. After having two painful sips of it, I had had enough. I poured it down my bathroom sink, went to brush my teeth 45 minutes later and the entire bathroom STILL reeked of this garbage. Saranac, I love you, but pull this piss off the shelves ASAP.

1.57/5  rDev -44.1%

-Looks like a combination of bud light and lemonade
-Smells like beer...
-Tastes like I'm drinking lemonade... not too impressed. It reminds me of Mikes Hard Lemonade with a tint of a beer taste
-It feels like I'm drinking juice, I chugged one and i didn't burp... just like drinking juice
-its easy to drink but i would only recommend it if your girlfriend doesn't like beer.... the Sam Adams summer brew is so much better.

1.14/5  rDev -59.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Clear yellow body, with a small white head. Minimal and thin lacing. Aroma reminds me a bit of a soured Heineken. Now to the taste. I want to like the taste. My friend David was excited to share this bottle with me so I wanna lie and tell him I like the taste. I wanna stretch the truth and tell him it isn't bad. He's going to own a brewery someday and I don't want to discourage him by telling him I don't understand how he can like this beer. But alas, this beer is disgusting and apparently has mixed two flavors that should never be mixed. I honestly can't finish the 6 ounces or so that he poured for me. Fowl and medicinal and sour and a mess, a big disgusting mess. Good thing I'm holding back. I love lemonade and I love beer but OH MY LANDS!!!! He says its much different and better on tap, but you can't polish a turd.

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a nice golden yellow with a medium bodied and light white colored head that laces the glass a bit on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet light toasted malts and then lemonade?? I had to look at the bottle to see how much lemon they had put into it. Sure enough, it was beer mixed with lemonade which made a lot of sense to my senses now.
T: Like the aroma, lemonade is one of the big flavors along with toasted malts and a hint of citrus-y hops. Interesting, it was a strange taste to me but it wasn't bad and it was kind of refreshing.
M: Very crisp, light bodied, sweet, I wasn't sure if it needed to be more carbonated but it wasn't over carbonated.
D: Pretty drinkable, it was really sweet but that is to be expected once I read the label. All around pretty interesting.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a lot of lemon along with light caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a sweet lemonade flavor that is followed by mildly bready flavors from lager yeast and a thin malt character. The hops presence is very mild and brings a little balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily since it's so light, not filling at all, very mild kick, there are several other summer beers that I would choose first.

1.71/5  rDev -39.1%

The idea of a beer-lemonade mix doesn't really appeal to me, so perhaps I shouldn't have bought this beer. However, I love Saranac, so I figured I'd give this beer a shot. I have to say, this is the first Saranac that I really have flat out disliked.

Appearance - Pours very pale, which is to be expected given its beer-lemonade hybrid-status.

Smell - overpowering, sweet lemon.

Taste - Far sweeter than I expected, even for a beer & lemonade mix. The sugar is overpowering. It totally kills the palate, and even left me feeling a bit nauseous.

Mouthfeel - light, and very carbonated. Did Saranac pump carbonation into the lemonade? Something doesn't feel right. That carbonation is so intense that you can actually feel a lively bubbling on your tongue, almost like a toned-down version of Pop Rocks.

Drinkability - even on a hot day, one is more than I want.

Bottom-line: if you like really sweet beer-hybrids, give it a go. I'll be the first to admit that I generally don't like sweet beers, so I'm not surprised that I didn't like this one. However, be forewarned: this beer failed to meet my low expectations for a beer-lemonade mix.

saranac totally missed the boat with this one imo. its not entirely terrible but it is not something i would ever ever go back to.

poured from bottle into mug.

apearance is a typical american macro, yellow gold with lame fizzled white head. only difference is the presence of visable carbonation. smell is very weak, artificial lemon lime. thats all i got on the smell. tastes more of lemon lime soda then beer entirely and its an overly sweet artificial fruit taste. dare i say that bud light lime taste more like a real lime? well it does to me. mouthfeel is average, medium light body high carbonation (expected in a fruit brew) and slightly sticky sweet feel. drinkability is not good imo. mix 7up and budlight and try to drink that. its strange and different. not terrible but not good at all.

2.57/5  rDev -8.5%

Aroma here is mostly of lemon. Although not really overwhelmingly so. Perhaps on par with other summer beers and kolsches.

This is one of the oddest beers I have ever had. Take lemonade that's pretty sweet (not one of the tart ones, unfortunately) and put it in with a pretty basic lager and this is what you have. From the first sip, I get a load of lemony sweetness from the start on through the body. At the finish, there's a bit of tartness to at least somewhat derail the sweetness, along with a slight "beery" flavor. But other than the carbonation and a tiny bit of basic lager flavor at the end, there's almost nothing here to tell me this is a beer.

I'm just not sure why I'd drink this, I suppose. It says on the bottle that Europeans have mixed lemonade and lager for over 100 years as a refreshing summer beverage. I'd never heard that before. I think that, if this is the output, they can keep it.

3.42/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass with large bubbles (looks like a soda, which is usually not good). Light yellow straw, very clear.

Aroma is of DMS, light malty/watery-ness. Not getting any lemonade at all in the aroma.

Now the lemonade makes its appearance. Lemonade immediately with a decent beer backbone. The beer is light enough to let the lemonade shine through. Probably much too sweet for many beer drinkers, but I think it is ok.

The big bubbles are apparent in the mouth feel, and make for a not so smooth drink. The drinkability is pretty good, although, after multiple, the sweetness might start getting to me.

2.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a four finger white head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Light lemon nose. Flavor is more lemonade than lager, lemon finish, almost like an English shandy. Too sweet for a real beer. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

3.56/5  rDev +26.7%

It is light golden in color with a snow white foam cap - very pleasing to the eye. Sour and sweet in the nose with hints of apple cider. Feels nice in the mouth, the lemonade hits the sides of the mouth and lager hits more towards the back. It is balanced nicely and is very refreshing. It reminds me of sparkling cider only not so obnoxious, smoother more mellow. It finnishes nice and is fairly consistent throughout. A nice refreshing brew for a hot summer day.

2.77/5  rDev -1.4%

Smell - overpowering, sweet lemon.
12 Oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Lighter than straw yellow... very clear and highly carbonated. Little to no head or lacing.. Very hissy when poured.

S: Faint beer smell.... mainly lemons and sugar.... Hey that is lemonade.

T: Well the smell and label says it all... Far more lemonade than beer.... Very sweet with sugar and lemons. Very wine cooler like...

M: Light yet sticky with sweetness, very carbonated.

D: OK.... You could drink a lot of these... Wow very light ABV.... but sadly this is more lemonade than beer....

Save you money and drink lemonade...

3.78/5  rDev +34.5%

picked this beer up with a mixed six
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance golden yellow with tiny bubbles
smell citrus and for me a hint of apple
taste lemonade with a bit of a lager finish
mouthfeel clean and crisp
a light a refreshing beer for a hot and humid summer day.

3.76/5  rDev +33.8%

First of all I am not confusing this beer at all with Saranac Summer Ale it is certainly Summer Brew, lager and lemonade. No freshness date on the bottle.

Drank from the bottle this beer is certainly got a punch from lemony flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth. Scents sort of like Mr. Clean. Pretty drinkable on a hot day at a ball game or a pinic. All and all this is one of the best Saranac Beers I have tasted.

2.34/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

So this is that lager and lemonade beer I've heard so much about.

The appearance is straw yellow. No head. See through. Lame-ass.

The smell is pure Budweiser with lemonade. Has the rice-laden, corny aroma of a lite lager, with the secondary sourness of a lemonade. Interesting but I'm not dying for a sip.

The taste is a crisp, light lager in the first sip. Ends on a tart, sour note. The lemonade taste is soooo much better than the lager taste, and I simply cannot recommend that. Might as well be a Smirnoff Ice.

Actually has a decent body. More like a lemonade than a lager. Finishes clean but not watery. It might be easy to absently sip away at this, but it's not a good beer by any stretch. It is, however, a decent lemonade.

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%

The beer/lemonade pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry, lemony scent along with a solid lager aroma. It smells like it sounds lager with lemonade added. The taste is decent as well. I'm trying to keep an open mind about this brew. It's crisp and clean with a dry lemonade taste. The lager waters it down, but the lemon aspect rules the palate. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a refreshing beer. I think it's a little heavy on the lemon flavor.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »