Saranac White IPA - Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: StonedTrippin on 12-16-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saranac White IPA Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz Bottle from CJ's Potsdam NY for 2$

Appearance - Hazy amber colour with an above average size fizzy/frothy off-white coloured head. There a low amount of carbonation and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for 4-5 minutes.

Smell - Malts, hops, lemons, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste hops and malts mixed with grapefruit and lemons. There is also some caramel notes and a bit of a dry yeast/spiciness. It ends with a dry bitter aftertaste.

Overall - I can't track down a freshness date on my bottle, but this one tastes a little stale. There is a fair amount of bitterness, but there isn't any vibrant flavours. (681 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%

bottle into a pint glass

opaque straw colored with a bright white head and good lacing. Looks like a hefe

smells like spice, bread and lemon

taste is hops and black pepper with some malt sweetness to help balance it. slightly bitter aftertaste

feels sharp and creamy, sort of chewy with little carbonation

overal, easy to drink and a good beer (348 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1%

Glad to see this style start to take off as it is a great combination.
A a nice pour, good head
S clean, citrus, floral, nice!
T strong hops here, could use a bit more Belgian sweetness here but hop heads will like this
M I like the backbone here, stays with you
O I love the White IPA, there are not many examples of this style that are less then $10 for a 4 pack. Being a Midwesterner, this is a new brewer for me. New York seems to be a Belgian style hot spot. (465 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

Golden look, sudsy bright white head, oversized wine glass. Lots of hops on the nose, citrusy and floral, pungent, orange peel. Taste is well balanced with sweet and sour, yeastiness too. Grapefruit, orange, clementine, lemon/lime. Feel is bubbly, airy, light and wet (267 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Poured out a hazy, golden color with a two-finger, off-white head of bubbly foam. It left sticky rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of citrus. Not much else.

T - Very strong citrus flavor with some piney bitterness. Toasty caramel sweetness makes up the backbone.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry, clean finish.

O - This is a pretty good white IPA. I could see myself stocking up on this affordable brew. (454 characters)

A - Pours with a burnt yellow body that had a lot of cloudiness to it...it actually looked like orange juice...the head was one finger tall, creamy, and white in color...it feel to a thin covering and left patchy lacing

S - This one is juicy...lots of citrus coming out with orange and lemon leading the way...the spice is very light and in the back end

T - A quick turn around from the nose...the hops are kept in check by the big wheat and yeast presence...the citrus (oranges and lemons) still manages to sneak through, but they are not as prevalent as the nose suggests...the wheat brings along a slight spicy presence...towards the end there is a quick bitterness before everything is gone

M - Medium bodied...it actually starts thick but then becomes bone dry...juicy citrus with a hint of bitterness

O - I really enjoyed this one...this was my first take on the style and it has been my favorite so far...I hope to see more brewers take this approach...nice job! (973 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%

Served on-tap at DeCicco`s.

Appearance is a hazy orange tone with 1 finger of an off-white head. Its` nose contains hops, citrus, spice and caramel. The taste is pine, coriander, grapefruit, hops, some bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, the carbonation is moderate. An easy drinking white ipa, that is one of the better beers that I have tried from Saranac. (356 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

My first for New Beer Sunday (Week 385)!

From the bottle: " Saranac White IPA is a tasty innovative twist on a traditional IPA. We've taken a delicious American IPA bursting with Citra hops and given it a whole new direction by adding the refreshing fruitiness of orange peel and coriander & the softening characteristics of wheat malt and oats. You'll notice the complex hop flavor you've come to expect in an IPA, balanced with the extraordinary bright flavor of a wheat beer. Cheers to twisting tradition!"

I am a twisted person, so this should be right up my alley! I CAN't help but think of FerMentor Lew's rant about everything being an IPA of some stripe these days, however. Onward!

I sensed that clarity may not be their object on this one, so I went with a highly aggressive pour resulting in a finger of French Vanilla-colored head with good retention. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-amber, like freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose had a wild melange of spiciness and hoppiness going for it. The coriander was big, followed closely behind by the minty hops. The Utica boys are becoming mighty innovative in their third century of brewing. Mouthfeel was medium and exactly unlike the nose, I caught the hops initially, followed by the orange peel, then the coriander on the tongue. Very nice and quite refreshing on a hot day. Finish was bone-dry, just the way I like my IPAs. I ight have thought that there was going to be too much trying to happen here, but this was mighty tasty. (1,506 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%

A- OK, this is one of the cloudiest beers I've ever seen. I can barely make out bubbles rising from the glass, which indicate that it's carbonated, but not much of a head to speak of.
S- Mix of citrus hops and orange peel. The two are a bit muddled, hard to tell where one stops and the other begins. It seems like this will be fairly bitter.
T- Yes, it's bitter. Fairly grapefruity, the orange peel peeks through, no real malt base to speak of, it's possible the wheat is making this very crisp and only expressing the hops and spices. No real strong citra flavor to this, they appear to have used the hops for bitterness only. No characteristic Belgian yeast either, the yeast is fairly clean. The orange peel is really right at the end of the finish and lingers on the back of the throat. I'm not sure I'd call this refreshing because of the fair amount of bitterness. I'd say it falls a bit flat tastewise.
M- Medium to medium-light mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty good on this beer.
O- Not really a bad beer, but not one I'd necesarily seek out. I do appreciate Matt trying things like this though. (1,126 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%

a- the bottom two inches of the bottle was full of sediment. This was true through all six bottles that I tried. The first time around I didn't realize and when I poured the beer it looked like one of those Orbitz drinks from the 90's. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be that much sediment in the bottle but it was a little ridiculous.
s- quite pleasant. Very floral and citrusy. Lots of grapefruit and orange smells.
t- Get the citrus up front with the back end being definite wheat beer. Pretty good balance over all.
m- very crisp. this is a good summer beer.

Overall I liked the flavor but I can't get over how much sediment was in the bottles I got. (660 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked up as a single bottle about four months ago in a Wegman's in Central NJ. I surprised to see that that there are only 97 reviews on BA right now.

The look is about right for a cross between a wit and IPA. You get a light yellow coloring with a significant amount of head in my fluted glass. The resigual cling to the glass leaves some good looking lacing.

I like the way that this beer smells. You get quite bit of flowering hops and some spicyness in the background. I also note some sour presence from the belgian aspects.

The balance isn't as good in the tasting. I get a bunch of sour and bitter which overwhelm the flavor. Beyond that I get more hoppiness and some orange. I think I get a touch of coriander.

This is an interesting beer, but a little disjointed. I bet it works better from the tap, than the bottle. (832 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Pours a hazy golden-orange with a two finger white head. Good retention, some lacing.
S- The aroma interestingly balances the wheat and hops with a bit of a bit of wheatlike spicyness balanced by some citrus hops.
T- First it tastes like a wheat beer with some light citrus and spice flavors. The finish brings through some good, but not overwhelming hop bitterness.
M- Good body, but the carbonation is a bit low for my preferences.
O- On the whole it's one of the best beers I've had from Saranac. Could use a little more carbonation and a little more wheat on the nose. (575 characters)

Pours a cloudy orange color with a thick two finger head. Settles down to a thin blanket around the glass but the lacing looks great. Sticking all around the glass. Retains the head throughout the life of the beer.

The aroma is spiced with orange peel that enhanced with the addition of American hop citrus notes. Soft wheat with a bread aroma from the yeast.

The citrus is the first flavor to hit the palate. But, it is not in your face. Nice and light and well balanced from the malt and oats. There is bit of pine flavor lingering on the tongue.

Light bodied and very easy to drink.

Two styles blended together and I think the Matt brewing company has done a great job. Cheers (687 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a bright, golden almost orange body with a thick white head that slowly dissipates leaving a white lace around the top of the glass. The smell is full of citrus hops and sweet malt. The taste is a good hoppy IPA, but the wheat does not provide enough of a base for the hoppiness. It is a good beer but the hoppiness is not quite balanced. As it sits for a little while the hoppiness mellows out and more of the citrus/orange flavors become prevalent making it taste more like a wheat beer. A different style that was fun to try, but will not replace any of he favorite IPAs. (590 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a nice orange straw with a nice white head. Smells of very sweet grain and flowery hops, very pleasant. Tastes of a Belgian in terms of grain, with floral hops, very nice combination and balanced. This light bodied beer is nicely carbonated and goes down real easy. Overall, a very good beer. (341 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours into a standard pint glass. Pours a yellow brown, as foggy as it gets, with nice white lacing, a solid inch worth. Smell is orange, wheat, clove, and a hint of pine. Taste is much larger, with some assertive grapefruit to finish the flavors from the nose. Body is large for the ABV, nice carbonation, not dry, and very drinkable. It is a nice beer and unique even for this new style. (389 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured into an Allagash flute on 4/24/12

BB June 30, 2012

This is a seriously cloudy beer; it's a murky golden yellow with floating sediment drifting about. Foam seemed reserved at first, but quickly got the best of me, cresting the top of the glass - well over the three finger mark. The head deflates, leaving a big, goopy dollop of suds and soapy lace scattered on the side.

The aroma is an odd one. Dank, tropical Citra notes are had while the head is high, but as it drops the orange peel takes a more prominent stance. The coriander is a faint addition, with a timid spice note on the periphery. The wheat and oats mentioned on the bottle come across as more of a mash-up of grains. It smells doughy, too. As it warms the wheat emerges with a toasty bent.

A thin, watery feel carries muddled Citra hop density across the palate with a lingering, dry bitterness. Along the way, moderate carbonation tries to muster the energy to make the meager spice pop more than it wants to. Notes of orange juice dip into the middle. The malts may be the most disappointing part; I was hoping for a sharp, toasty graininess, but it's more an infused culmination of the lot. Ah well. The finish has an unpleasant coating mustiness; like cotton, if cotton could be stale.

I'm not too impressed with this one, but it isn't an entire failure. Hey, at least they tried to do something interesting and thoughtful; it just didn't turn out so great. For the most part it doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't taste good. I'll probably finish the bottle. (1,539 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Cloudy orange-gold with about a finger of short-lived, off-white head. A slim ring and plenty of visible carbonation remain and leave some sparse lacing. A coat of sediment remained on the bottom of the bottle despite emptying the bottle.

S: surprised by the hop presence in this East Coast/Belgian IPA. There's plenty of citrusy hops with a solid light malt base. Slightly spicy and sour.

T: a clear hop presence (Citra) with orange overtones ... enough orange that I'm thinking there's some orange peel in here too. Does seem to be some coriander. Little sign of any Belgian yeast except, perhaps, in the earthy sourness.

M - Very good carbonation level; medium+ body; quite soft for an IPA.

O: light spicing but strong orange component in this very drinkable IPA. (776 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -16.8%

Oh, boy, I hate doing this. When a brewer tries innovation I like to reward their efforts, but someone boiled the damn orange peel too long. And I think that combined with early addition hops to provide an astringency: a harshness, in what looks, smells and even tastes like a decent attempt. It's foggy and has proteins a-floating, but hey... it's a wheat beer. The coriander gets lost.

The nose is citrus-y hops, perhaps a tad grapefruit like. Some wheat. Best part of the profile. Mouthfeel: wheat, hops, medium to mostly light body, but the harshness hits there.

Taste: wheat, some spice in background, maybe coriander, but that orange peel just blocks the rest.

Back off on the orange peel, or at least add later for less astringency. Mayber needs more of a dry hop approach w/peel? (795 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%

appearance - cloudy straw colour with fluffy white head

smell - hops, citus, lemon, coriander

taste - lemon peel, orange peel, hops

mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, decent sweetness upfront, bitterness on the back, but not too heavy

overall - good beverage that I'm glad I tried, I hope Saranac brings this back as a summer offering, I could see drinking this on a hot day

Price Point - $7.99/6pk (415 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a cloudy golden straw with a small cap of creamy white head.

Sweet oranges in the aroma right off with hints of coriander and a yeasty background. Pretty nice hop bill on this one. Bitter on the start of the pallet with oranges and coriander in the middle. Seems to have a kiss of lemon in there with a bitter cracker finish.

The body is medium and a little sticky. Soft carbonation on this. Overall this one surprised me. I enjoy it quite a bit. (489 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Let me start by saying I am not a hop-head but do appreciate that others enjoy these styles.

A - Very cloudy orange with about a finger's worth of head that stuck for about 30 seconds.

S - Definitely in the IPA family, which I wasn't hoping for. The citrus notes of orange and lemon are very apparent, but you can smell the bitterness :)

T - The citra hops come through very evidently, in my opinion. While I do like the citrus notes in this, I wish the bitter hoppiness was a little more mellow. I don't pick up any Belgian yest, I was really hoping this would be there.

M - Very prickly on the tongue. Somewhat soft probably from the oats, but for me I wish it didn't carry so much bite.

O - For the style it may be right on, I don't it's my first. I'm ranking it around a 4 because it's definitely not bad, just not my style.

If you're looking for an Ommegang or Duval like Belgian, with a little more IPA characteristics I don't think this is what you're looking for. It's too much like a regular IPA in my opinion. (1,026 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy dirt straw color with a small pure white head that left a short wall of lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a strong celery presence from the coriander. There is some orange peel, clove and white pepper to give the beer that witbier smell. The hops don't really standout perhaps they are masked by the orange peel. The aroma is way too vegetal for my liking, too much coriander.

The taste has a nice bright wheat flavor, which allows the hops to pop through. The hops are a bit grassy and provide some citrus notes. Good floral hop burps. The coriander isn't as strong as it was in the aroma. Along with the orange peel, it adds a nice amount of spice to this IPA. Tastes more like an IPA than wit.

The feel is light with fizzy carbonation. Drinks crisp and fairly clean, some lingering hop bitterness in the finish. An easy drinker.

A decent example of an increasingly popular style. I am glad they made this one more IPA than witbier. (954 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Saranac's put out a pretty interesting beer in their White IPA. Now, that's not exactly a new idea, but they've done it pretty well. And I think to a certain extent it's because of the way they did it. A lot of the beers I've seen like this have started by bumping the white ale up into a beefier IPA style - but you get a lot of wheat malt that way (more body/more filling/more malt flavor). Saranac started the other way around, adding the coriander and orange peel to an already decent IPA. In fact, the Citra hops are so bright in the nose I'd be more than happy to drink it straight. Fortunately, they've kept the hops a bit more restrained in the flavor, and the the orange peel and coriander are noticeable as well. They appear after the hops, there's no doubt about that, but then they lend it another interesting component that helps to keep it pretty drinkable. Well worth trying! (890 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. brown bottle.

A: Pours a murky straw color. Foamy white head and pretty good lacing.

S: Complex aroma filled with citrus hops, orange, yeast and from what the label is telling me coriander.

T/M: Creamy and smooth. Citrus hops and yeast. Plenty of other spices come in strong. Finishes on the the dry side.

O: Don't think I've ever had anything like this before. A spicy IPA. The Matt Brew Co. has many good beers of all styles and this one is no different. A good hybrid if you like IPA or Witbier.

Cheers!! (523 characters)