Saranac Blueberry Blonde Ale - Matt Brewing Company

Saranac Blueberry Blonde AleSaranac Blueberry Blonde Ale

Matt Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Saranac Blueberry Blonde Ale is a traditional blonde ale with a kick of juicy blueberry. You'll notice a light golden haze from wheat malt and oats and a low hop bitterness, which really shows off the fruit. With a medium-light body and fresh blueberry flavor, we're sure we've captured refreshment in a bottle!

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 04-14-2012)

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

2.98/5  rDev -10.5%

Picked up a single out of my mix-and-match six-pack that I tried to dedicated solely to summer/spring time beers. Doesn't look half bad, but we shall see.

Appearance: Pours a golden, yellowish hue that has hints of orange even. Hazey body that actually didn't look half bad.

Smell: A little surprised that this actually wasn't anything different. Had a strong scent of blueberries, almost artificial though. Some nice light tones of hops, but the blueberries overpower any other deep aroma.

Taste: Light at first, that has a strong, almost overbearing flavor of blueberries, but as I sip, the wheat flavoring comes forward and it actually isn't all that bad. A little sweetness that actually wasn't all that bad, just not great.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body. Not much carbonation. Something I actually didn't enjoy that much. Not a good mix of light and some heaviness.

Overall: Don't get me wrong, I really embrace fruit flavored beers, but this one just wasn't hitting me. Actually tasted a little too artificial. Not sure if Blueberry Eggo Waffles are a good after dinner beer. Not sure if I'll select this one again. May recommend it as a starter, but not something I want on my shelf on a regular basis.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

2.65/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Just under a finger of head. Color was hazy honey golden. Bubbly white lacing that dissipated instantly. No film on the sides.

Smelled wheat and grass first, then got the blueberry aftertaste. Reminded me of frozen blueberry waffles, that artificial blueberry smell.

Lots of different tastes that really didn’t work well together. Initially got Welch’s Grape Juice. Then got the wheat, grassy, earthy feel, followed by a light hint of blueberry. Blueberry is surprisingly an afterthought for me here.

Medium body. Sticky texture. Above average carbonation. Fruity, long lasting finish. Somewhat refreshing.

Just an OK beer overall. No part of it told me that I must have it again.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Labeled as the Blueberry Blonde the label suggests that there's wheat malt and oats, a bit cloudy golden orange in appearance. Head forms thick about 3 inches billowing with texture, fine speckled lacing left behind. Aroma has earthy hints of blueberry notes, not overtly sugary just a hint of earthy herbal blueberry notes. Flavor has a bitter stem, leafy quality about it along with the wheat malt and oats to soften things up a bit. It's not the overtly sugar experience you may be looking for in a beer like Leinenkugel's. Mouthfeel is creamy soft and well carbonated the type of beer that works for the summer months. I didn't feel it weighed too heavy, had enough flavor to keep me interested, but I feel competing with the big boys with blueberry beers and shandys isn't the way to go now, Saranac has always paved it's own way...know it's making White IPAs, Blueberry Blondes, and Shandys...WTF. It's a Sam Adams, AB, Miller/AB head to head competition with Saranac.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A new addition to the Saranac Beers of Summer mixed variety pack. I've always been a sucker for fruity beers and this one is pretty good! Unlike other breweries, they don't go overboard on the fruity flavor and it makes a subtle, but present appearance, in the backbone. A nice drinkable beer for the summer. Nothing too crazy, but a nice addition to a summer mixed pack.

3.08/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Poured from the can into a weizen glass. Body is hazy golden-honey in color with a 1.5-finger fluffy white head. Some lacing on the glass.

S: Like Jiffy blueberry muffin mix - the cheap muffin mix with the artificial blueberries. Also reminds me of candy of some sort.

T: Less offensive than I expected given the nose. Up front, the blueberry isn't strong. It does linger on the aftertaste, however, as the taste of fake blueberry muffins comes back. Decent wheat twang makes this modestly refreshing (I'm having it on a warm day after mowing the lawn), though that lingering artificial blueberry taste is a turnoff for me.

M: Lightish in heft, carbonation is modest.

O: To be honest, I usually stay away from these kinds of beers, but the guys at Westmere Beverage recommended this one as a decent, refreshing beer - so I bought a single can. I really don't know how it compares to other blueberry beers, so I'm calling it average. Like I said, the blueberry could be more in-your-face than it is; I consider it a good thing that it isn't.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy light golden, clear color. Lots of little bubbles rising up from the bottom. Relatively aggressive pour leads to a big 2 finger head that sticks around and leaves sticky lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Malty nose hits first, some hoppy bitter hits next, biscuity nose follows next, followed by a nice little whiff of blueberry. It's not an incredible smelling beer but it's definitely nice.

T: Follows the nose, good malt backbone, nice lingering hop bitterness and a really nice little blueberry twist comes in and out of the taste on this.

M: Creamy feel, perfectly carbonated.

O: Really solid beer. Easy drinker, nice blueberry flavor. Can see myself putting a bunch of these away on a hot summer day or during a camping trip.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%