Saranac Red IPA - Matt Brewing Company

Saranac Red IPASaranac Red IPA

Matt Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: plaid75 on 10-29-2012)

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Our Red IPA is a twist on a traditional west coast IPA featuring a deep red color from European dark caramel malts. We brew with generous amounts of American hops including Calypso, Palisade and Chinook to give this IPA a distinctive hop aroma. You'll notice a strong hoppy flavor with caramel malt undertones and a unique color that gives this IPA a whole new personality!"

I will readily cop to being a big fan of F. X. Matt B.C. and their Saranac series of beers. The price point is friendly and the beers are always at least serviceable.

I popped the cap and got the aggro pour going right away. The pseudo-cascade started right up and netted me two rocky, tawny fingers of head with good retention. Color was a deep-copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. I once had a girlfriend whose coarse red hair was this shade. I miss you, Lou! Hell, between a new, short hairdo for her and another bottle of this and I would be down at the local recyclers to see how much copper is currently paying out. Nose was much more caramel malt than hops. It also had the brand's characteristic yeast-driven tang. Mouthfeel was soft and creamy and completely unexpected. The taste seemed skewed in favor of the malts on the tongue, at least initially. Letting it roll around, though, produced a light citrus bitterness. I kept thinking back to an earlier EIPA, however. Finish was semi-dry, still more malty than hoppy. I disagree with calling it a Red Ale as it was more than that, but I would not call it an AIPA, either.

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The pour produced a tall light tan head over an amber colored body with great clarity and some nice visible carbonation.

Smell: There are nice juicy citrus hops and some lighter sweet malty notes jumping right out of the glass.

Taste / Palate: Mild hop notes and sweet bready maltiness mix up front with hop flavor and bitterness building up on the back end. It’s middle has just a touch of caramel and toffee sweetness. The palate is classic Saranac medium body and average easy drinking feel with balances carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

Saranac Red IPA
12 oz. brown bottle, code "BB JUN 30, 2014 3503 1047"

Appearance: Wow, it has protein floating in it. It appears to be permanent chill haze. If I move the glass back and forth the proteins move with it, and if I spin the glass and then stop it, they'll keep going in the direction I've sent them in. I don't care, clarity isn't necessary in a hoppy beer in my opinion, it's just that I've never seen that from a Saranac beer. I doesn't even say it's dry-hopped. Maybe it's not. (Ahh, I checked another bottle and it's just the sediment stirred up and held in suspension by the malt). Moving forward, it's still moderately clear, and it's got a beautiful ruby-accented dark copper body. The head is a creamy yellowed beige, and it holds fairly well but should be better. The lacing is better just slightly better than average as well.

Smell: Hoppy. Bright and fresh. It's slightly citrusy, but not overly so, and a bit candyish... slightly grape-ish maybe. It must be the hops. I'm not familiar with Calypso or Palisade hops, but I do get a whiff of piney-ness from the Chinook. Oddly, those hops aren't even listed on the bottle I have. There's some apricot to it as well, and - a very nice bit of very lightly sweet dark caramel.

Taste: As is quite often the case, the flavor basically mirrors the aroma. The malt is fuller, and the hops are intertwined in it. I don't find anything candyish or grape-like upfront, but I do get it in the burp! Odd. It's an interesting addition to the other flavors of pear, apple, apricot, and gently resinous pine. It's really nicely balanced, and I don't really get the whole effect of the 63 IBU's of bitterness until the finish where it lingers. Either the alcohol of the hops add a bit of spiciness to it, and it's quite dry. Surprisingly, most of the malt and hop flavors fade pretty readily.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Moderately carbonated. Delicately crisp and then smooth... I think it could use a little more bite myself, although I guess that would change the balance by accentuating the bitterness a bit.

Overall: An interesting beer, and one that's surprisingly drinkable, but also with a bit of complexity to it.

3.04/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks for the bottle, Jacob!

It pours a slightly hazy reddish gold with a very large head of foam that surprised me considering it came straight from the fridge.

I get light notes of citrus hops and grain.

Though hoppy, it's more of a bitter flavour going on than an actual citrus thingy; the malt tastes toasted and grainy. The 63 IBUs don't seem to working any magic. A pretty dull brew.

Medium bodied so mouthfeel.

The first Saranac that I didn't find a joy to drink. S*it happens.

Saranac Red IPA from Matt Brewing Company