Saranac Caramel Porter - Matt Brewing Company

Matt Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saranac Caramel Porter Alström Bros
3.51/5  rDev +11.8%

2.77/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

My first Saranac in a long time, there's been too many others to enjoy! From the bottle poured a cola-color with very light lace skimming the surface. The caramel has nowhere to hide, I might have confused myself with procuring candy for Halloween not porter as a mix sixer for New Year's. Complements the malt but risks overwhelming it too. Not really in disagreement with my palate but not likely a repeat purchase. Will be interesting to compare to another in the mix-six I selected purely by accident, Shiner's "Birthday Beer" a chocolate stout. Luckily accident though since I'll be spending 12/31/14 at a party hosted by a New Year's baby, hope his sweet tooth is in gear for that as mine was for the Saranac.

Nice flavor, but prefer a heartier porter.

3.46/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.08/5  rDev +29.9%

I don't care about your error message. I like this beer, doesn't matter to me that others rated it lower. :-P

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brown color with a nice thick head that showed good retention throughout; a nice frothy lace. Aroma was malty sweet and heavy on caramel and sugars. A very sweet taste that is balanced by a slight dry finish. Not much hops but just enough to counterbalance the sweetness. Decent feel; perhaps not as robust as other porters. In fact, this one was kind of light for the style. Light carbonation that does however sting the tongue a bit.
In an effort not to be influenced by other BA reviews, I either take notes or make a mental rating before posting here. Thus far, I find that my ratings are consistent with the general consensus. However, in this case I'm surprised by the negative rating and reviews for this one and find that it is one of the few cases that I massively overrated a brew as compared to the average. I'm really not sure what so many people are turned off by here. I could maybe understand how the sweetness is a turn off but not on such a massive scale. Granted this is not the best porter I have had by a long shot, however, I find it to be a pleasant brew that I would have no problem drinking again.

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Standard pint at Buffalo's Tap House.
Pours a brownish copper color, thin floating cap of foam, no lace or retention.
The smell is unexpectedly nice, mild chocolate and lots of caramel cream sweetness.
The taste had lots of caramel and toffee, sweet and a touch cloying, but not over the top.
Creamy and smooth, nice malty porter base. Medium body and mouth feel.
I liked it, but one was probably enough.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%