Oatmeal Stout - Sequoia Brewing Company

Sequoia Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Callenak on 10-10-2006

3.91/5  rDev n/a

Enjoyed this at the north Fresno brewpub (Champlian & Perrin) at 10:00am on Snday morning. No, I am not an alcoholic - I was waiting for a friend.

Appearance: Poured an opaque, dark brown with 1/4 inch, light brown cap. Nitro-tap produced a beautiful creamy head that also looked quite frothy frm above. Great retention and surprisingly good lacing.

Smell: Tootsie Rolls and toasted oats. Not much else.

Taste: Toffee/caramel, sweet chocolate (can't decipher if it's milk or dark), mocha and oats. Chocolate and toffee seem like the most pronounced flavors, though oats are also quite apparent. A slight cascade hop bitterness linger afterward.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy with low-medium carbonation. Medium-heavy body.

Drinkability: Overall taste is pretty mild, andI'd bet more flavors would come out if I kept drinking it. A good oatmeal stout, but nothing to write home about. (886 characters)

3.85/5  rDev n/a

Was in Fresno for a wedding so stopped by Sequoia for a some lunch and a couple pints.

Pours jet black with the standard white and creamy that's associated with an oatmeal stout. I believe it was also served on nitrogen. I'm split on weather or not I like that. I wouldn't mind trying it side by side with CO2.

Smell is all roast. Very appealing and exactly what I was looking for. Not much of a hop aroma. The taste is roasted grains, a hint of chocolate, and creaminess. Noble hops, a more earthy bitter.

The mouth feel was smooth and creamy. Oats and nitrogen.

All and all a fine beer. Right on par for the style. Of course I can't remember ever having an oatmeal stout I didn't enjoy. (700 characters)

Oatmeal Stout from Sequoia Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.