Black Oak Porter - Sequoia Brewing Company

Black Oak Porter
No picture uploaded.

Sequoia Brewing Company visit their website

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: htomsirveaux on 05-08-2008)
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

WizzardOfHops, Dec 28, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

waiting4lunch, May 18, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

This is a very good English-style porter, characterful and well-rounded. I had it on tap at the Sequoia pub in the Tower District.

Almost black, but not quite, it had a thin foamy top, shrinking to a thin foamy ring.

Aroma was roasty grain, faint hints of coffee and prune, but little else.

Taste is more impressive, nice roasty grain, prune, wood and licorice, nicely balanced with all the elements firm, long lasting and well-integrated. Nice light sweetness balanced with light bitterness. The feel is solid, not quite oily, but creamy.

Offa, Apr 01, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

I poured this dark treat from a one gallon growler I got from Sequoia Brewing Co grill into a frozen pint glass.

Not much head but I care not for foam and suds I like the part I can drink.

It was very black and I could barely see light shine through when I held it up to the light. The wee bit of light that did come through was tinted dark brown with slight dark deep red glints.

While it didn't have that much smell to it, what smell it had was quite inviting, a kind of woodsey smell.

I tasted it and it tasted sort of woodsey, not really smokey but woody, it had a very different and difficult to describe taste. I wouldn't say a licorice taste, perhaps slight coffee tones and a tiny bit of chocolate. It tasted like more.

It felt heavenly in the mouth and it was very easy to drink.

This is perchance the best porter I have ever had in my life. I am so glad I bought a one gallon growler of it and I might do it again unless they have something on tap that piques my interest more.

Bludgeon, Jan 14, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this on-tap at the Champlain & Perrin location. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Brown-black body with a decent amount of transperancy around the edges. Head is almost non-existent; a very, very, thin, light brown halo. Spotty lace.

Smell: When I first got this, all I smelled was roasted barley and dry dark chocolate, both of which were very faint. After letting it warm, however, the scent got much sweeter and presented lots of caramel and nuts.

Taste: Caramel, smoke, roasted barley, dark chocolate, and prickly hops. Balanced nicely; maybe just a bit on the malty side.

Mouthfeel: Cool and milky. Medium bodied for the style. Well-carbonated with just a bit of spiciness.

Drinkability: Another good offering from Sequoia. Smooth, not bland. Nothing phenomenal, but I could easily imagine myself ordering this again. I recommend it to those that have never been to either location, though the seasonal offerings are usually where it's at.

ThreeWiseMen, Mar 28, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Tried this on tap at the brewpub on 23 April 2008.

Dark clear brown color with a small light tan head. Moderate carbonation. Smells somewhat coffeish, caramely. Medium body with good mouthfeel. Starts out mocha flavored, moderately roasty and stays this way throughout. Finishes bittersweet. The alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering.

Might not hit the style exactly but is quite tasty and drinkable.

htomsirveaux, May 08, 2008