Blonde Lager - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-21-2004

to view more.
Ratings: 141 | Reviews: 75
4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

Aroma: Slightly sweet crackery Pilsner malt base up front. Light earthy hop bitterness. Relatively clean lager character.

Appearance: Nearly clear golden pour with a low white head that retains well. Appears still in the glass.

Flavor: More crackery Pilsner goodness with a firm earthy hop bitterness that balances this beer well. Balance is nearly even. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly lingering with pleasant cracker-like malt notes.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with medium-high carbonation. No alcohol heat or astringency.

Overall impression: A refreshing sessionable lager. This beer deserves more love. Well crafted and enjoyable. Rahr is such a good brewery that delivers every time I have something from them.

3.46/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a couple singles from Rahr to sample and review. 2nd time trying this one.

Light tan and clear with rising bubbles. Head was pretty darn good, about two fingers of fluffy white foam, and had some staying power this time around..

Aroma is clean and subdued, with some malts, grains, grass, bread.

Flavor is also very clean. I detect a nice floral component, some bready malts, some grains and grass, and a little sweetness. Hops are light and not very noticeable, but there’s enough bitterness to balance the beer nicely.

Body is very light and drinkability is high. Pleasant, but more like a blonde ale if you ask me,

3.22/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener

L: standard-issue crystal clear yellow, tough the head really springs up, about 1 1/4-inch of white foam. some lacing.

S: very slight malt; mostly weak grain. over the last 1/5, the malt really shows through to the point of sweet biscuits; kind of cool, but it doesn't kick in until way too late.

T: awesome first sip; really sweet with some malt. after that -- way too much corn/grain and not nearly enough hops and barley. some bite up front but nothing major. ocassionally you get a good sweet finish, but it's too sporadic.

F: good carbonation; a little watery but still solid.

O: probably a perfect BBQ/summer beer, but a little too grainy for me to seek out again. if your only other options are the standard Bud-Miller-Coors offerings, drink this. it's better. but it doesn't stand out as a champion on its own.

3.05/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Pours a clear, pale golden straw color, with some carbonation. Small head dissipates quickly after pour

S: Very faint biscuity smell

T: A slight biscuity taste that the nose hinted at, with a crisp slightly bitter finish

M: Light, but not watery

O: Light, crisp lager that is an easy substitute for any of the BMC lagers. Not too much to the taste, but a good thirst quencher for a hot day.

3.53/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle served 45 degrees

Pours a really good looking golden hue.Nice carbonation,I had this a few years ago and it really didn't have as much carbonation as it does now.It could just be me but I love the level of carbonation.It smells malty with a hint of biscuits and grain.Taste of sweet malt and lots of grain but I think it really taste good.Not much in the way of hop or bitters but it's still a good sip.Mouth feel is very light but o so pleasant.Would love one of these sitting at my favorite fishing hole on a hot day.Overall I would say this beer would be a great beer to get some newbies to try.But I will also enjoy a few of these the next time I cookout with my friends.Enjoy my friends!

3.05/5  rDev -8.4%

Rahr & Sons Blonde pours to a pale straw color. The body of the beer is clear and the nose is crisp, combining pale malt with light grassy/earthy notes and biscuits. The foam isn’t too bad at first, but it doesn’t last very long and leaves little or no lacing.

Rahr & Sons Blonde has a bread- like flavor with some apple fruit notes up front, followed by the taste of light spice in the finish. The taste is sweet overall, but has just enough bitterness and light spice in the flavor profile to keep it from going overboard in the sweetness category.

This beer is certainly a drinkable one and it offers a good deal of crisp, clean, sweet malt to make it drinkable and acceptable to most. The body of the beer is a little thin, but I still find it good and its lightness makes it nice for the hot days of summer.

Overall, a good effort from Rahr & Sons and one I wouldn’t turn down if it was offered to me. It doesn’t blow you away, but it is quaffable and good as a session beer.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

My brother-in-law shared one of these with me on my recent trip to Texas.

Pours a bright yellow with a quarter inch of soft, white head. Both the nose and the flavor are identical. Both are straw-like and wheaty with faint grassy hop notes. This has an overall light body that’s smooth and crisp.

This is a very simple beer. It’s too style, but leaves me wanting something a little more flavorful. The flavor is correct and it’s good, but it’s just not intense or forward enough for me. I’m glad I tried it though.

2.13/5  rDev -36%

A pale beer with a thin white head. Has a musky, skunky smell. A really dry beer with a papery, cardboard taste. Otherwise really plain. Aftertaste does not linger too long so it is not unbearable. Texas has a lot better blonde ales to offer such as Bombshell and Fireman's #4.

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a pale yellow, nice clarity, fluffy white head that sticks around and leaves ok lacing.

The aroma is of buttered biscuit, bready, malty, touch of caramel with some grassy and floral elements.

Biscuit with touch of caramel, grass, and floral hints. Simple but good.

Thin, crisp, bright, and easy to drink.

Overall, an average, light bodied, easy drinking beer.

3.58/5  rDev +7.5%

I drank this from a pint glass...

Pours a clear golden color with a pillowy off white head. The smell is mostly biscuits and grain, it is slightly sweet and buttery. It tastes almost like buttered popcorn with a touch of caramel, it's also kind of metallic and grainy. This beer is smooth with a medium body and perfect carbonation. I thought this beer was simple, full flavored and enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance:
Gold-straw color, clear. Tons of fine carbonation. Very nice head. Lacing looks great on the glass.

Aroma:
Clean and crisp aroma. Some grainy and a little spicy hops.

Taste:
Malty up front along with mild crisp bitterness at the end. Malt character is grainy, sweet, hint of grass and raw malts. Hop bitterness is pretty mild, spicy and crisp. Body is light. Well carbonated.

Finish:
Very clean and crisp. Sweet aftertaste, maybe a little touch of dryness.

Overall:
Not the best Helles, but it's pretty good.

I'm currently out of the Bay area and on a work trip in Dallas, TX so I have been looking for some reasonably priced decent craft beer to sate my thirst. Downtown Dallas is full of cheap corner stores selling every variation of ice and malt liquor but alas other than Shiner Bock it's hard to find decent beer here. I finally found a restaurant with a decent beer selection on tap. Thanks to Hofbrau restaurant in the west end for the pour.

I had the the Rahr Blonde lager poured into a 16 oz. glass and watched as a straw gold coloured boldly carbonated lager filled the glass to brim. A foamy head forms. I'll be honest the color sort of looks like Budweiser. Oh well. It looks thirst quenching. Before I satisfy my thirst I proceed to smell the beer and am touched by mild grassy notes, hints of hay and earth. I also get floral tones from this beer. This part is pretty pleasant. There are some aspects of the beer that I can't tolerate as much. There is a potent sour character to the beer. I also detect apples, pear, and white wine.

The beer taste fine. Not great by any means but it's a git er done Texan sort of beer. The mix is hoppy, bitter and sweet. The malts are pale. It sort of taste like an amped up Budweiser. I actually like Budweiser so that isn't a problem but this is craft brew folks. I hope this isn't there best offering.

The mouthfeel is expected. It's slightly watery but retains a crisp edge. I'd say the malt to hop ratio is 70/30. I also taste some generic barley malt.

Overall: This beer simply isn't worth the time to try and get. It is hard enough finding good beer down here. You might as well crack a budweiser and accept the hegemony of BMC. Or if you want something darker go for the Shiner Bock.

2.58/5  rDev -22.5%

A: Deep golden color with a quickly dissapating head.

S: Sweet malty smell with a little bit of hop presence.

T: Storng malt prescence that tastes biscuity with a little hop on the finish. Not very flavorful. Does not taste like most german Helles I have had.

M: Decent mouthfeel, quaffable even with a slightly high carbonation.

O: Not impressed. It doesn't feel like it fits the style whatsoever, tastes more like a bland blonde ale. Not the worst beer in the world but I wont be picking it up again.

Edit: As this beer warms it does gain more flavor. Unfortunately it is a weird sour flavor that isn't very appealing.

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

With the brewery reopened, after a roof collapse due to snow, they have a new label and an incredible beer that is much improved over the old brew.

New label and pry top for the blonde!

I picked up a single at Whole Foods to check out the new bottle to see if the newly upgraded brewery improved their packaged product.

Decanted to a pint glass.

Pours a pretty golden rich color with a medium nice white head.

Nice malt and hop mix in the aroma. Tasty to the nose.

Perfect blend of malt and hop roll over the tongue and makes one think of a nice session beer. Very drinkable.
Light lacing.

3.08/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color with a modest, quickly descending head that leaves little lace

Smell: Bready and grainy with an unusual sweet, fruity element

Taste: Bready, up front, with the sweet fruity flavor making an appearance right away; by mid-palate, an odd sour note arrives and dominates into the finish, though the original flavors also return

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A rather unusual Helles, with the sweet fruit and sour elements adding a less than optimal complexity; the flavor should be much cleaner

2.48/5  rDev -25.5%

Picked up at a Spec's in Houston, along with some Ugly Pug dark lager. The beer is pale golden yellow, about right for the style, with a thin head of fine-grained foam. The aroma is wrong, there's a sour note that doesn't belong at all (infection?). Outside of that smell, this is mainly a pale malt concoction, slightly sweet smelling, no real hops in the aroma that I could tell. The taste is just bad, I can't get past the slightly bitter and sour off-flavor. Peeking around the corner of this issue, I can taste a sort of bland beer, simple malts and that's about it.

This Helles lager was, I'm afraid, not good at all. I really enjoy this style but found this to have some off-flavors that I'd normally pass over as a bad bottle or something, except in this case I can see that several other reviewers have had the same experience. This means either the off flavors were intentional (but why?) or they have known quality issues and sell the beer anyway...

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

The beer pours a very clear macro yellow with a white head. The aroma is hay, grass, bready malts and honey. The flavor is honey and bread with the aftertaste being some dirty, earthy hops. Light to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not too good of a beer.

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours an unfiltered straw/golden color and has a good sized head.
Smells different, like a bit of a light American hefeweizen.
Tastes like citrus to me, must be the hops. It is unfiltered to appearance, unless I got a bad bottle. Tastes pretty good though!

Next to try the black lager. This beer is nice and I would drink it again.

3.9/5  rDev +17.1%

appearance: light golden beer that pours with a good head

smell: the malts are mostly prevalent, has a bitter smell too

taste: i felt the taste was much better than the smell, enjoyed the bite that the beer has

mouthfeel: loved drinking this one down, very light on the mouth

drinkability: felt good to drink but bite might not be for all. also could get tired of the bite if drank too often

2.92/5  rDev -12.3%

a - this beer has a straw golden color and is slightly cloudy from a the small amount a debre it contains.

s - subtle earthy aromas, with some yeast characters.

t - clean tasting for the most part, it does have a bit of malty bitter finish.

m - as stated before, clean. also this bottle was a twist off and i believe that might have something do with the slight lack of carbonation. this particular brew seems okay, but the last two i drank for my 6 pack were flat.

d - goes down easy. there are other lagers i would prefer to drink but this one is okay.

1.94/5  rDev -41.7%

Reviewed 11/2/2009 (bottle):

Pours a very light, clear dark yellow color body, with a big head, white, lasting. Vegetably aroma, grassy. I wish these smelled more enticing. Light taste, mostly clean aftertaste. Carbonated, grassy tasting. Not my style. Letting warm up a bit...a little better, but still not my first choice in almost any situation.

2.66/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color. At first a white head rises to over two fingers. The foam quickly recedes to a ring. Very light lace.
S: Sweet malt, cereal, and grain. A metallic twang with some chemical aroma. No depth at all.
T: Sweet malt and grain. A very light bitterness lingers on. A clean taste with no off flavors. Pretty bland though.
M/D: A light body with crisp carbonation. Watery and thin. Not hard to drink, but I am probably not going to make a session of this.

Overall kind of bland. A no frills drink that would be good at a BBQ or party. I will probably avoid this for the most part though.

3.03/5  rDev -9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear pale gold, with a couple fingers of foamy eggshell colored head. Thin fizzy retention, that bunches around the edges, leaving some decent looking lace back. The aroma is fairly heavy on the grainy malts, with some light grassy hops and citric tones.

The taste is pretty much the same, with maybe the hops being a little more aggressive with a dry spiciness to it. This is backed by that same sweetish mix of toasted bread and citric tang. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied, with a sharpness to it and then a bit of a heavier feel underneath. The prominent sweetness adds some unneeded bulk to the body, that isn't doing the drinkibility any favors for me.

Not horrible but not exactly great either. The tang in this could have used some more bitterness for balance and crispness. Maybe the hops had faded some in this? I'd be willing to investigate a fresher bottle.

3.43/5  rDev +3%

Yellow pour on tap with a decent white head. Hint of macro skunk in the aromas. Fortunately not present in the flavor, which consists of a bit of lemon, a touch of biscuity malt and bit of bitterness in the finish. Not bad but nothing to write home about. Light mouthfeel, appropriate for the style. An easy beer to drink , certainly an acceptable summer choice, but not anything I'd go too far out of my way to get.

2.48/5  rDev -25.5%

Picked a 12 oz bttle of this up visiting my brother in Dallas and looking for local brew.

Looks: Pours a clear golden body that supports a clean white head. Head retreats to the edges and leaves no lacing behind.

Smells: Some peppery, citrusy, and kinda grainy. Generally bland and I smell something weird metalic that doesn't get me too excited to drink this.

Tastes: Like it smells. Kinda bland with a bit of a peppery/citrusy hop flavor and a clean malty finish; bland and unexciting. There is a lingering taste of what I think is oxidation that reallu just buries any chance of the beer tasting good.

I was hoping for more here. I'm going to look these guys up again when I visit my brother and I'm sure things will taste much better.

to view more.