Texas Red Amber Lager - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Texas, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 10-05-2004

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured clear copper bronze with little head, smelled of sweet bready malts and grains, tastes bready and malty with a nice finish of bitterness, thin mouthfeel. (160 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rahr & Sons Texas Red has a medium-to-thin, cream-colored head, a clear, rust-red, bubbly appearance, and some lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of mild, sweet, tea-like breadiness, and the flavor is of sweet bread crust, tea, and very subtle hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Rahr & Sons Texas Red finishes crisp and refreshing.

RJT (357 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

a0lbudman
Alabama
Has the right idea, this is a remarkable red for a Texas brew. I am actually proud this brew is from Texad,after tasting over 6 fine red ales in the PNW I am proud to be a Native Texan, sure hope there is more to come in Texas. These guys are obviously learning and they will soon master the craft. (316 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I found this one to be pretty typical of what I think of when I see something that's labeled "red." Nicely colored quite reddish, with a good head and lace. Aroma and flavor are pretty malty with a nice hops bite and a slightly lingering bitterness from the hops. Medium bodied and smoothly carbonated. Overall I see no reason why I wouldn't buy it again when I'm in the mood for a red. This brewery hasn't disappointed me so far. (430 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-It is a slightly hazy amber color with a red tint to it when held up to the light. It has a large almost white head that lingers and leaves a lace
S-grain, yeast, malt and some hop aroma
T-roasted malt with a good mix of hops in the aftertaste that makes this a beer to try again.
M-medium or light body with an active or high carbonation
O-this beer had a combination of grain, yeast, roasted, hops and malt smells and taste that make this a beer to try again (462 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener

L: mahogany; deep darker brown with lots of amber; crystal clear; tan head over 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch of fluffy thick foam that laces at the top; not a lot of lacing after the head dissipates

S: man, at times -- ALL MALT. wonderful sweet bread/sweet biscuit malt presence ... very refreshing break from all the hop-crazy American brews. some grain at times, but the malt is really there.

T: bread; homemade bread ... very yeasty and lots of sweet malt; gets a bit medicinal at times, almost like a bock; a little grain here and there, grain like milo, rice and the barley -- no corn..

F: big carbonation after producing a big head; solid weight ... very nice

O: lots of taste and lots of malt. the full sweetness it promises never fully shows up -- that huge malty nose isn't fully mimicked in the taste. BUT it's good ... definitely better than average, and good enough that I'll be investigating this one further. i love malty English pale and brown ales, and honestly, this has a lot of those same notes (for a bit cheaper price). who says lagers can't stand toe-to-toe with ales? (1,122 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draught: This one pours a fairly clear reddish-amber color. There was a bit of an off white head on it. It left a little lacing. The aroma isn’t too bad. Pretty typical malts with some grassy notes, a decent enough lager aroma. The taste is also good, nothing really special, just good and easy to drink. Malts, some bitterness and biscuit notes. Pretty smooth. Easy to drink. (378 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance:
Deep amber color, clear. Good amount of carbonation rising up. Thich frothy head.

Aroma:
Barley malts, caramel, earthy.

Taste:
Malty, toasted, caramel, a little sweetness. Hop bitterness is moderate, mainly earthy-leafy, a little spicy. Finish is semi dry. Body is medium, well carbonated, smooth, dry, a little crisp. (332 characters)

3.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Hofbrau mug.
Drank on the side with a bowl of chili.
Not "Red Amber Lager", but "Texas Red" (from the six pack).

A - Amber (duh) with a thin layer of white foam.

S - Typical lager aroma; kind of creamy and malty.

T - Pretty good, nice balance: some malt and some hops.

M - Some carbonation, but not too much for the style. Light, but flavorful.

Summary - Nice. I like a lager every now and then and Rahr's is a pretty good one. It's not outstanding, but enjoyable, and it goes nice with some chili or maybe a burger. (550 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a lint glass. Solid two finger had with sticky lace all the way down. Nice coppery color with good bubble support.

Nose is a good balance of caramel and malt, hing of hoppiness, but not a lot.

Taste lines up with the nose. Maltiness in the front end with the caramel and hop bitterness coming through in the finish.

Good, slightly thick, mouthfeel makes this beer very drinkable and enjoyable. I'm not much of a lager fan and prefer ales, but this has a flavor complexity and solid maltiness that may change my mind. (545 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +10.5%

This is the time I ran across an amber lager. I've tried several amber ales in the past, but not a lager.

One thing I noticed from this amber lager is there is a nice crispness to it; which compliments the beer's thin mouthfeel. As I drink this I think I still prefer a solid amber ale, but this is a nice refreshing change.

There is nothing spectacular to note from it's smell. It has the general malt smell that I've experienced from several other ambers, and nothing really stuck out.

It taste is what I expected from an amber beer. It has a very bready, malty taste; which is consistent with a lot of ambers I've had. It's one of the things I like about it ambers. The bottom line is that it tastes good, and I can see myself turning this into a session beer.

On the six pack packaging it says Texas Red. I find this fitting since I absolutely see myself drinking this along side a bowl of Texas Red. For those of you who are unclear on what Texas Red is, it is true Texas Chili.

I recommend giving this beer a try. It is nothing exceptional, and I do not see myself rushing to the store to buy another six pack. It is a solid all round lagerthat is easy to drink, and the color is really something worth mentioning. I gave it a 4.5 because it looks fantastic to me. (1,275 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -1.2%

Very nice red lager. Color is absolutely perfect and out of the bottle had a surprisingly good head on it. Very creamy and malty beer. I'd say its very drinkable, with slight hop notes, but has an over all smooth taste. A little caramel flavor on the back end. (260 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Drank from an English pub glass...

The beer pours an amber copper color with a bubbly tan head that quickly faded. Smells of nutty malt, dried fruit, caramel and its a bit vegetal. The taste is mostly bready malt flavors with some caramel, toasted nuts and earthy/ lemon hops. The beer is medium bodied with more carbonation than it should have and a very dry finish. This is an excellent amber/ red, I think I would choose this over most other ambers. (453 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -10.2%

Was in the Dallas airport so I bellied up to the bar and ask the server, give your best Texas hand crafted brew. She gave me this beer in a pint glass and there was no head and had a reddish copper color. I would compare this beer to a Killigans. Had notes of rye and malt. Very light and easy to drink. Wish Texas has better beer. (331 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -13.1%

Rep'd Cowtown all the way by pouring a 12 oz bottle into my TCU pint glass.

A: Nice amber color with a quickly dissipating white foamy head. No white lacing.

S: Very average here. Smell of biscuity malt and slight hops. Typical amber lager here in every way.

T: Pretty typical here as well. Again, the sweet, biscuity malts. Slight hops in the finish. Got a little of the tartness that others mentioned.

M: A little on the thin side for an amber lager. Carbonation was light. Mouthfeel clean and a little thin on the finish.

O: Good session beer to support my local brewery with. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with it, either. I tend to prefer limited and seasonal brews from Rahr's. Good gateway for BMC light lager drinkers. (736 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, I picked this up from Central Market in Fort Worth while we were staying with a friend. The beer pours a dark amber-red with a thin, white, foamy head. There was a light aroma of semi-sweet caramel, but very subtle. Flavors are dark toasted malt initially, with some subtle hopping at the end. Smooth, but watery, especially on the finish. The aftertaste is sweet and slightly balanced with hops. This is an average red, and would make a decent go-to for guests that may not be fans of craft in general to start them on the road of transition. (583 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

A - Beer poured a little head, and even had to aggravate myself and even then quickly dissapated.

S - Smell of caramel malt and light hops.

T - caramel and malt and a touch of hops. A very clean and refreshing beer.

M - A lighter bodied beer with slight carbonation.

D - This beer is clean and refreshing and will definately be having several of these with no problem. (373 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a clear dark reddish amber, with a thin tan head. Smells strongly of biscuit malt, and a hint of vinegar. Taste up front is major biscuit (victory) malt, thin malty middle, and an extremely tart finish. A hint of earthy hops in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was nice, and smooth, however, with medium carbonation levels. Drinkability was below average, this beer just wasn't too appealing to me. IMO they used WAAAY too much victory malt, and the beer got more tart the more I drank. (485 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -12.2%

Got this on tap at the rahr brewery during the national championship.

appearance: brownish red in color, at first glance it doesn't look too bad

smell: very hoppy and malty smell, nothing out of the ordinary

taste: just as it smells it was a very hoppy and malty beer, has the same bite i found in other rahr beers

mouthfeel/drinkability: felt surprisingly smooth even though i felt it lacked in taste (406 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -24.2%

Presentation: Poured from draft tap into Rahr Stormcloud IPA 20oz imperial pint glass.

A: The beer pours a really nice red and amber color, but without any head and very minimal lacing. Color is great though.

S: Maybe some cascade hops in the taste, now that I'm reading it is also a lager I'm understanding the flavor profile a bit more. Nothing really stand out in the nose, but it smells like a good beer.

T: Taste is very odd. As with all Rahr beers the malt profile is bitter and I don't like that about them. It stays on your palette for a while. This is not one of their better offerings because the lager bite hurts the bitterness further. Maybe some cascade hops in the taste too though, not my favorite variety.

M: Really average in every way. Carbonation, weight, are all just average. Not bad or good in any way.

D: I couldn't have more than one of these unless it was the only beer left at the brewery. (920 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%

Went to the Rahr Brewery last night and had this on tap. I had this in the bottle before and it was really awful. I had suspected that the beer was tainted as it was very sour and metallic. Having this on tap, it was like night and day. Although it wasn't a great beer, it was way better than when I had it in the bottle.

Came out brownish red with a decent tan head. The aromas were of all malt, some caramel, no hop aromas here. The flavor was also dominated by malts, a little bit toasted malt and a little bit caramel sweet. Not a bad flavor, just sort of one sided and somewhat normal like a Killians, but I admit that it is definitely better than Killians. I have only had a few other red style lagers, but I would say this is the best of the bunch that I have tried. (775 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Clear amber coloring with very little red.

S- Has a scent of an even mixture of malts and sweet hops.

T- Fairly good balance, but it seems more malty than hoppy. Can't really taste the hops that much. Definitely kind of sweet.

M- Well carbonated and an extremely smooth beer.

D- Extremely drinkable. Definitely a session beer.

Overall a great Amber beer from my local Fort Worth brewery. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it. (496 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The beer poured with a one finger head. The foam quickly disappated and little lace was left behind. The beer is dark brown/red with a little bit of carbonation.

Only after reading the bottle, I could detect a slight caramel smell.

The taste of Rahr beer can be touch and go at times. I could taste the malt coming through. The taste wasn't bad, but not good.

The mouthfeel left a little bit to be desired.

Drinkability- average.

Not a bad beer, but I wish that my local brewery put out a better product. (557 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Cousin's BBQ in the Dallas Airport, poured into a plastic cup, Rahr's Red is a murky pale aubrun brown with a small, tight and creamy khaki head.

Smell is mostly caramel, and butterscotch, something about it is a little off - so much so the bartender insisted on pouring me a generous sample first, because "people either love it or hate it." Probably just a fragile beer in dirty tap lines that has kicked fast enough. But having never had it, I dunno, she said the taps don't change even if the kegs do so maybe not.

Taste is simple, malty and sweet, cleaner then the nose, which had a little tang to it. Reminiscent of birch beer.

Mouthfeel is watery, with a lighter body.

Drinkability isn't bad, I didn't care for the smell at all, but the taste was fine...but not so much that I opted for a whole pint! Nevertheless, if I was served this at a keg party or something, I'm probably have no problem drinking a few. (933 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%

This brew pours a dark shade of red, with some signs of carbonation. A bit of foam on top, but not much. Smell is of sweet malt, a hint of roasted grains, and some light hops. The taste follows - this is definitely a malty amber brew. Hops are faint, but present, and the sweetness of the malt dominates. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. Overall, this is a pretty good brew, and a great session beer. I'd recommend trying it. (423 characters)

Texas Red Amber Lager from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company