Ugly Pug Black Lager - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

good

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: assurbanipaul on 12-18-2004)
GarthDanielson

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, I picked this up from Central Market in Fort Worth while we were staying with a friend. Pours a jet-black, with no head. The nose had slight toasted and sour malt characteristics. Flavors were dark roasted, with a sour malt backbone. The beer has a good balance, with a smokey-sweet aftertaste. The beer has a mostly crisp finish, with a slight linger to the smokey characteristics. Tasty.

05-01-2011 01:29:46 | More by GarthDanielson
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

Received this in trade from TexIndy, thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a nice dark brown with ruby highlights when held to light. Nice size off white head dissipates quickly. Aroma of Smoky nutty roasty malts. Not much hop to be found in the nose. Tastes like it smells, roasted malt bitterness in the finish. Bubbly creamy mouthfeel. Medium to thin in the body. I thought the carbonation seemed a bit to high and lessened my enjoyment of this brew. Overall a decent brew, I could see myself enjoying a few of these.

11-02-2008 21:33:10 | More by johnnnniee
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle opened on 9.11.12.
Thanks johnsaulrubio

A - Pours a coca-cola brown with a think coke colored light tan head that is gone quickly.

S - Very nutty and roasted malts.

T - Nutty, roasted malt, light coffee and chocolate.

D - Thin body and a mild body.

O - Very light, but nice roasted and nutty flavors.

09-25-2012 05:58:20 | More by HuskyinPDX

01-13-2012 16:54:36 | More by drummermattie02
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle courtesy of jenray. Thanks Jen!

It looks pretty schwartz to me with a 1 finger of just barely off white foam. Some nice lacing accompanies at least early in the session.

Slight notes of roast, some dark chocolate, and a rather prominent smell that you normally get in an American adjunct lager...corn.

The taste is on the sweet side. I'm getting notes of some milk chocolate, corn, very light coffee, a light hint of a citrus spritz, and a milder, very milder, note of corn than in the nose. Not a bad brew and oh, a bit of smoke when I swish the beer in my mouth.

This is light bodied with fairly light carbonation. A generally thinnish mouth feel.

Drinkability is better than I expected when I added up the scorecard. I'm happy with this brew.

01-28-2011 00:22:29 | More by Bitterbill
AgentZero

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%

Recieved as an extra in a trade with texasclimber.

A - Actually a pretty nice looking beer. Really is about black, with red and brown running through it in the light. Small off-white head rose up a half a finger and dissipated to nothing rather quickly. Nothing left on the glass.

S - Roasted malts, slightly acidic, bit of lagar yeast. Little bit of unsweeted chocolate and some caramel.

T - Roasted malt, bit of coffee. Some chocolate, some yeast on the end. It's slightly bitter and acidic. Easy to drink.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with fairly middling carbonation.

O - This is a solid beer. It's unspectacular but it was a nice thirst quencher for me that I killed in about three minutes. Wouldn't mind it again after a workout.

09-20-2011 01:55:40 | More by AgentZero
gford217

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours dark, dark brown with mahogany tones when held up to the light. Even with an aggressive pour, there is little head and no lacing. The smell is of toasted malts with a hint of coffee and cocoa in there as well. The initial taste was a little bizarre - very biting and almost minty. There is also the sweet roasted malt backbone, but it's masked by the opening astringency. The mouthfeel is fairly light with decent carbonation. The astringency takes away from the drinkability a little bit and this is below average as far as scharzbiers go.

07-06-2008 17:57:22 | More by gford217
champ103

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Pours a dark brown with some red highlights. A small beige head forms. Light lace is left behind.
S: Roasted malt with some sweet grain. A light hop aroma. Not much is here.
T: Follows the nose. Sweet roasted malt with some grain. A very light hop bitterness.
M/D: A light to medium body. A bit over carbonated for my tastes. A little on the watery side. Easy and smooth to drink. Something I could session if nothing else was around.

Kind of bland. Decent, but nothing I would recommend with enthusiasm.

03-12-2009 03:40:15 | More by champ103
Gagnonsux

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

The color is dark brown, with an average-sized, light brown head. Retention is okay. The aroma is a sweet smelling combination of chocolate malts and roastiness. The taste has a strong element of roasted flavors upfront with hints of chocolate popping through towards the middle through the finish. The necessary sweetness rides in alongside the chocolate flavors and keeps the roastiness from going overboard. Personally, I find the roastiness to be too strong for a schwarzbier, with levels almost reaching a weak dry stout. Still, this is a good beer and easily the most interesting choice from the three standard Rahr beers.

11-05-2005 18:51:38 | More by Gagnonsux
cdwil

12-30-2011 22:07:51 | More by cdwil
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

A 12 oz. twist-cap, courtesy of LarryKemp, poured into a pint glass. An eyepatch-wearing, tongue-lolling dog earns the coveted label. Named for Fritz Rahr's mother-in-law's 'ugly pug', Oscar. Listed at 4.8% ABV on 'All About Beer'.

A: Excellent look for a schwarzbier; nearly black, fluffy head a finger-high, scattered lace. Hints of lace but most slips gently to the glass. Head builds to 1.5-fingers and falls gently

S: Vague smoke and spiced cocoa. A sweet, toasted malt.

T:Toasty and lightly burned wheat bread, spicy and sweet. Bland mineral finish.

M: Very 'cool'; molasses and spice with a fading carbonation. Actually, very little carbonation - medium-tin mouthfeel.

D: Good schwarzbier, flavorful. One that I'd be glad to drink again.

11-06-2008 03:39:19 | More by msubulldog25
brewdlyhooked13

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - yep, she's a schwarz, black body with just a glint of ruby/brown around the edges. A thin head, a bit meager with some weak dots of lacing, but a good looking beer despite.

Aroma - a fine roasty smell, fresh coffee grounds.

Taste - the roast and the coffee flavors are there as expected, along with a touch of something lemony or tangy. I could do without that latter bit. It's mostly on the aftertaste, and following that is a reprise of the dark grain, so it ends well. A pretty good shot at the style.

Mouthfeel - a hair to the thin side, and very crisp to the point that I want to swirl some bubbles out to get to the flavor.

Drinkability - schwarzes are all or nothing for me. I like a good roasty taste, but a little of something off and I'm not on-board. Such is the case with this one, the tart bit kind of messes up the good roasty flavor, though the second one of my stash went down fine at a street party this weekend, preceded by a handful of Eliot Ness and OTR, so the tart bit was less of a factor.

08-04-2008 03:21:24 | More by brewdlyhooked13
GCBrewingCo

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer poured into the glass translucent black with a white head which fell to nothing in an instant.

The aroma was strong caramel malt smoothness and chocolate. Almost the aroma of a milk chocolate bar.

The flavor was chocolate with a bit of astringency and tannins. Not quite crisp and slightly grassy in the bitteirng and with an expresso roasty flavor.

The finish was dry with lasting slight acrid rosted grain bitterness into the aftertaste. The body was medium light or just a smidge more. Good aroma, lousy head retention and just ok flavor.

12 ounce bottle.

11-26-2005 17:11:49 | More by GCBrewingCo
gtermi

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%

A: The beer pours a nice black with a white head.

S: I am getting a lot of roasted malt and coffee from this beer and find it very enjoyable.

T: The beer is sort of weak, but still has a decent amount of sweetness, roasted malt and some chocolate.

M: This isnt the smoothest beer, but still very enjoyable.

O: I love going to the Rahr tour and having this on draft. It is a good beer and I love getting it once in a while. This to me is Rahr's most popular beer.

11-19-2011 08:06:38 | More by gtermi
Dope

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Pours dark brown with a big fluffy light brown head. Head fades slowly with wonderful retention. Solid, heavy walls of lacing left behind.

S: Nice toasted malt, pretzel-like. Creamy milk chocolate mixes in. Surprisingly nice.

T: Mild sweet and creamy chocolate up front. Sweetness runs out into a toasted malt finish with bittersweet chocolate. Dry in the finish - well attenuated.

M: Very smooth, not watery at all.

O: A simple but tasty schwarzbier. Nice toasted malt and chocolate flavors meld and balance nicely.

07-12-2013 01:26:38 | More by Dope
Gatordaddy

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -10%

07-23-2014 05:15:58 | More by Gatordaddy
allengarvin

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours out a ruby-tinted brown with a slight off-white head. Aroma is lightly roasted. Taste is a mix of roasted, coffeeish graininess and pleasant bitterness. Finishes dry and quite clean. Moderate body and medium carbonation. I've enjoyed this beer more on draught, but never tooks notes. In the bottle, it's a fairly ordinary dark beer.

08-30-2005 01:49:20 | More by allengarvin
wagenvolks

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle into a Delirium tremens snifter.

Ugly Pug isn't ugly at all! In fact, the nearly opaque, sepia & seal brown body is quite attractive beneath an inch of well-retained, custard/tan foam. One of the darkest, best-looking Schwarzbiers I've had. Aroma is solid, too, and the malty layers reminds me of peanut butter and chocolate (think Reeses' Peanut Butter Cup cereal), while the hops smell of peat and earth.

Things go a bit downhill in the taste department, as a blandish roasted malt presence tries its hardest to suggest powdered cocoa, but really only attains a slight caramel biscuit note. Not much in the way of hops, either, and the overzealous carbonation level and dry finish kill off much of the crispness and refreshing qualities for which the style is known. Still, Ugly Pug is a nice interpretation of a Schwarzbier from Rahr & Sons, and one I could see myself having again.

03-31-2009 02:39:24 | More by wagenvolks
IrishColonial

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

07-04-2013 01:40:53 | More by IrishColonial
bditty187

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Ruby brown in hue, clear and shimmering, the liquid looks well enough. Off-beige head, at the apex the foam was over two-fingers in height. Rocky. Head retention was very good; it slowly faded to a chucky, rough-looking cap. A smaller cap did last the entire consumption, impressive. The subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized but it was prevalent nevertheless. This is a good-looking beer!

The nose was graced with a soft sweetness in the form of caramel and coffee. Plus there were some toasted grains. Grassy hops with an earthy residue. I swear there is a kiss of smoke too. I like the nose because it, more or less, says exactly what I’d expect a Black Lager to proclaim. I do wish the potency was louder and I would have like a rounder aroma. Still, as is, I found the bouquet to be well-constructed and inviting.

Tasty. I’d be lying if I said I’ve tried a lot of Schwarzbiers because I haven’t. Based on what I’ve tried, I’d say Ugly Pug is the pick of the litter. If nothing else, it fits what I think a Schwarzbier is supposed to be. Minimal roasted qualities, I detected some smoked earth, some faint coffee, and a smattering of caramel. Again the toasted grains are noticeable. Grassy hops. There is a fair amount of bitterness, as to be desired. The aftertaste is long, especially for a lager because otherwise this is a clean beer. I do like how it won’t let me forget what I just swallowed. Like I said, this beer is tasty.

The mouthfeel doesn’t do much for me. It is not too thin (or too beefy) but it feels lackluster. Low carbonation, but it fits this beer well enough. The mouthfeel is good, don’t get me wrong… but I would have like something else here. What, exactly, I don’t know.

This is a very drinkable Schwarzbier; I enjoyed every sip. If this were a local, I would quaff it often. It is flavorful and easy to drink… what more do you want in a beer? Nothing. Give me a six-pack and a glass and I am sound as a pound. Thanks assurbanipaul. Tasty beer. Great label. Thanks. Try one!

09-11-2005 23:23:15 | More by bditty187
jheezee

12-14-2011 04:45:37 | More by jheezee
duff247

12-18-2011 07:07:33 | More by duff247
Redrover

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

This was on of four Rahr beers on tap at the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth. Way to support the local breweries!!

Served in a standard straight pint glass, the beer is an opaque black with brown highlights and a creamy beige head.

Nose of charred malts and brown sugar.

The taste leads with dark roasted malts, molasses, a hint of coffee and some baker's chocolate. Well integrated.

The mouth could be a bit heftier, but it does make it easy to session. Give me more black lagers!

05-27-2010 16:26:01 | More by Redrover