Ugly Pug Black Lager - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

good

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: assurbanipaul on 12-18-2004)

Sinewave, Jan 01, 2012

kcopelan002, Dec 31, 2011

cdwil, Dec 30, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pours a dark brown almost black color. Not much for a head, dissapates very quickly. Not much for lacing either. Looks very clear and filtered when held to the light.

S: Smells of malty caramel. Maybe a slight hoppy aroma.

T: Typical for a black lager all the ingredients are there. Coffee, toffee, caramel, I think I taste a hint of chocolate in the background. Not bad at all.

M: I was slightly disapointed here its not very crisp and could use more carbonation. Taste sorta flat. As I have read from other BA's this must be a typical description of the mouthfeel of this beer. One BA even described it as a "Flat Coke".

O: This is not a bad beer at all. However there is room for improvement. I've had better and I've had worse.

CEversole, Dec 23, 2011

RustyBoltz, Nov 28, 2011

brandoman63, Nov 28, 2011

dcevans, Nov 27, 2011
3.56/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a nice black with a white head.

S: I am getting a lot of roasted malt and coffee from this beer and find it very enjoyable.

T: The beer is sort of weak, but still has a decent amount of sweetness, roasted malt and some chocolate.

M: This isnt the smoothest beer, but still very enjoyable.

O: I love going to the Rahr tour and having this on draft. It is a good beer and I love getting it once in a while. This to me is Rahr's most popular beer.

gtermi, Nov 19, 2011

videofrog, Nov 14, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

I had this in Dallas just before I went to the American Airlines Center to watch the Blackhawk's first game of the season. (Oct 7)

It came in an ice cold bottle and was accompanied by a frozen mug. I had to let it warm up a bit.

As with most schwarzbiers you are going to get a dark beer that is not too heavy but not too light. And I think Ugly Pug lived up to the style. It had all the malty characteristics one would expect to find in a dark beer. It was roasty and toasty. I was expecting a little bit more, but I was happy with what I got.

My only real complaint was that it was a little bit too carbonated for my taste. However, it's ease of drinkability made this easy to overlook.

This will probably be my go-to brewery whenever I find myself in Texas.

LacquerHead, Oct 21, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours cola-like with a lot of foam that doesn’t dies down. Impressive appearance, but that’s the extent of it. Not much on the nose. There’s very little roast but a lot of lingering maltiness. A bit of an unwelcome sour bite. Cloyingly sweet. Thin bodied, which makes it drinkable. Dial up the viscosity and I’d call it a good sipper if I was in the mood for something after dinner. I can see why this is a favorite for some but it just doesn’t work for me.

elNopalero, Oct 18, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a Tumbler

Appearance-Pours a dark brown with a two finger tan head. Dissipates quickly leaving a thin film on top during the whole drink.

Smell-Smoke, Some sweet dark fruits. Some subtle chocolate.

Taste-At first it tastes like absolutely nothing, then some sweetness and some bitterness and black pepper spice comes in. Finish carrys over the smokiness and some fruit. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel-It's clean, but it's like a flat coke. Not very enjoyable mouthfeel which is a shame b/c the taste really isn't thad bad.

Overall-I do not enjoy Rahr and Son beers but going to a local beer store that didn't have anything that I wanted to buy I just bought this single for 1.50 so I didn't walk out w/ nothing. However, this is the best of all the Rahr and Son brews i've had.

SWMeyer4141, Oct 17, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +13%

Unfortunately I don't think others are grading this beer by style. It nails the style of a schwartzbeir. Dark black with a creamy white head, nice retention and lacing.

The aroma is big on roasted malts and coffee with some earthy notes and a touch of cocoa. Simple, earthy, and dark.

Nice light body with roasted coffee and cocoa flavors. Clean with some earthy tones.

Nice light body and balanced

Very easy to drink and enjoyable.

JayS2629, Oct 03, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -33.5%

Very underwhelming in most aspects. There was not as much full flavor that you might expect from a black lager. The aroma was very soft and did not tease me into the drink. Never while having it did I want to continue my drink. Easily said, it was very boring. There was nothing great or even good about this beer.

Preisman, Sep 22, 2011