Ugly Pug Black Lager - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: assurbanipaul on 12-18-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 428 | Reviews: 166

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pours a dark brown almost black color. Not much for a head, dissapates very quickly. Not much for lacing either. Looks very clear and filtered when held to the light.

S: Smells of malty caramel. Maybe a slight hoppy aroma.

T: Typical for a black lager all the ingredients are there. Coffee, toffee, caramel, I think I taste a hint of chocolate in the background. Not bad at all.

M: I was slightly disapointed here its not very crisp and could use more carbonation. Taste sorta flat. As I have read from other BA's this must be a typical description of the mouthfeel of this beer. One BA even described it as a "Flat Coke".

O: This is not a bad beer at all. However there is room for improvement. I've had better and I've had worse.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a nice black with a white head.

S: I am getting a lot of roasted malt and coffee from this beer and find it very enjoyable.

T: The beer is sort of weak, but still has a decent amount of sweetness, roasted malt and some chocolate.

M: This isnt the smoothest beer, but still very enjoyable.

O: I love going to the Rahr tour and having this on draft. It is a good beer and I love getting it once in a while. This to me is Rahr's most popular beer.

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this in Dallas just before I went to the American Airlines Center to watch the Blackhawk's first game of the season. (Oct 7)

It came in an ice cold bottle and was accompanied by a frozen mug. I had to let it warm up a bit.

As with most schwarzbiers you are going to get a dark beer that is not too heavy but not too light. And I think Ugly Pug lived up to the style. It had all the malty characteristics one would expect to find in a dark beer. It was roasty and toasty. I was expecting a little bit more, but I was happy with what I got.

My only real complaint was that it was a little bit too carbonated for my taste. However, it's ease of drinkability made this easy to overlook.

This will probably be my go-to brewery whenever I find myself in Texas.

3.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours cola-like with a lot of foam that doesn’t dies down. Impressive appearance, but that’s the extent of it. Not much on the nose. There’s very little roast but a lot of lingering maltiness. A bit of an unwelcome sour bite. Cloyingly sweet. Thin bodied, which makes it drinkable. Dial up the viscosity and I’d call it a good sipper if I was in the mood for something after dinner. I can see why this is a favorite for some but it just doesn’t work for me.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ugly Pug Black Lager from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company