2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ugly Pug Black Lager - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Ugly Pug Black LagerUgly Pug Black Lager

good

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: assurbanipaul on 12-18-2004)
View: Beers (31) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 348 | Reviews: 156 | Show All Ratings:
beerdiablo

Fort Worth's Rahr brewery has taken the low road in beer.
By that I mean lagers. Bottom fermenting, get it?

The Ugly Pug is a fine tasting dark lager with sweet, vanilla overtones
with a faint hint of coffee. This beer is very smooth, making it easy
to have 2-3 back to back in a session without weighing heavy on
your palate.

Hands down, the best Texas brewed Schwarzbier I've ever tasted.

10-24-2005 01:06:45 | More by beerdiablo
Melchizedek

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Not real impressed on the pour--I went through the better part of a six of this and had a hellish time getting any kind of head to rise. What head there was was pretty thin and soapy-looking, and didn't last. The color's good--dark brown, much like coffee (especially with the nonexistent head).

The smell isn't potent, but it's definitely nice; roasted grain and coffee hints dominate. The Pug is slick in the mouth, a bit thin (although maybe I'm displaying some stout bias). Not a lot of complexity to the flavor, mostly those roasty notes and earthy grains with minimal hop; there's a bit of a mineral, salty bitterness in the background, giving a mineral-water impression despite the lack of noticeable carbonation. As it warms, the coffee notes become more distinct and appreciable, especially in the aftertaste.

The drinkability of this brew is definitely its saving grace; I could happily take down three or four without a thought, and its flavor is pleasant enough to enjoy like a coffee, without necessarily pairing it with a meal. It's unpretentious enough to be a great gateway beer, I would guess.

Note about head problems: I have had this from a keg and experienced none of the above troubles with the head. From everything I hear, my particular six looks to be the anomaly.

09-29-2005 00:00:34 | More by Melchizedek
MUSHROOMCLOUD

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Ugly Pug has a 1 1/2" creamy tan head on top of a dark brown liquid that has ruby highlights. The head eventually recedes to a creamy 1/2" and has very good retention. Good lace.

Aroma of burnt toastmingles with a tinge of something metallic. There is a hop twang in the aroma as well. These seem to be two completely seperate and opposite smells, they never reall seem to converge. In an odd way there is a layer of burnt aromas and a layer of hop aromas (make sense?).

The taste follows the nose in that the creamy burnt character seems to take the forefront. Salty? Nutty. Charred, grilled flavor. Very appealing. This is not a typical roasted, earthy flavor; this is burnt!

Rich, full creamy mouthfeel. Very different from the other two or three schwarzbiers I have tried. This one is a little more robust. Good drinkability. Left me wanting another bottle.

09-23-2005 03:22:21 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
bditty187

Nebraska

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Ruby brown in hue, clear and shimmering, the liquid looks well enough. Off-beige head, at the apex the foam was over two-fingers in height. Rocky. Head retention was very good; it slowly faded to a chucky, rough-looking cap. A smaller cap did last the entire consumption, impressive. The subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized but it was prevalent nevertheless. This is a good-looking beer!

The nose was graced with a soft sweetness in the form of caramel and coffee. Plus there were some toasted grains. Grassy hops with an earthy residue. I swear there is a kiss of smoke too. I like the nose because it, more or less, says exactly what I’d expect a Black Lager to proclaim. I do wish the potency was louder and I would have like a rounder aroma. Still, as is, I found the bouquet to be well-constructed and inviting.

Tasty. I’d be lying if I said I’ve tried a lot of Schwarzbiers because I haven’t. Based on what I’ve tried, I’d say Ugly Pug is the pick of the litter. If nothing else, it fits what I think a Schwarzbier is supposed to be. Minimal roasted qualities, I detected some smoked earth, some faint coffee, and a smattering of caramel. Again the toasted grains are noticeable. Grassy hops. There is a fair amount of bitterness, as to be desired. The aftertaste is long, especially for a lager because otherwise this is a clean beer. I do like how it won’t let me forget what I just swallowed. Like I said, this beer is tasty.

The mouthfeel doesn’t do much for me. It is not too thin (or too beefy) but it feels lackluster. Low carbonation, but it fits this beer well enough. The mouthfeel is good, don’t get me wrong… but I would have like something else here. What, exactly, I don’t know.

This is a very drinkable Schwarzbier; I enjoyed every sip. If this were a local, I would quaff it often. It is flavorful and easy to drink… what more do you want in a beer? Nothing. Give me a six-pack and a glass and I am sound as a pound. Thanks assurbanipaul. Tasty beer. Great label. Thanks. Try one!

09-11-2005 23:23:15 | More by bditty187
Octagonal

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours dark ,almost black, with some amber hues. About an inch of creamy head subsides rather quickly.
An aroma of coffee and roasted malt..
When tasting, the roasted malt and coffee continue through a slightly bitter finish. I really enjoy the aftertaste.
The dark beer has a light body, quite carbonated that goes down well.
I really enjoyed this beer and will definately have another.

09-08-2005 16:05:32 | More by Octagonal
allengarvin

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours out a ruby-tinted brown with a slight off-white head. Aroma is lightly roasted. Taste is a mix of roasted, coffeeish graininess and pleasant bitterness. Finishes dry and quite clean. Moderate body and medium carbonation. I've enjoyed this beer more on draught, but never tooks notes. In the bottle, it's a fairly ordinary dark beer.

08-30-2005 01:49:20 | More by allengarvin
Morris729

Pours a dark brown mahogany color with a short tan head that fades into a creamy lace. Nose is dominated by roasted coffee beans with some fainter notes of dark cherries in the background. Taste begins with roasted malts and fresh espresso followed by notes of bitter burnt coffee and spicy hops. The bitterness remains in a lingering aftertaste. A pretty interesting beer and another winner from the boys in Fort Worth.

08-03-2005 02:09:11 | More by Morris729
UCLABrewN84

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the 2013 Firestone Walker Invitational held at the Paso Robles Event Center in Paso Robles, CA.

Pours a clear super dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and caramel aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that tastes better than it smells in my opinion.

06-03-2013 03:10:51 | More by UCLABrewN84
jneiswender

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

had this beer on tap as part of the brewery tour. Served in a pint glass cool.

nice tan head and a dark black/brown body.

smell is earthy but not much else

tastes like a light lager but with only a hint of roast flavor.

light and watery

I have seen this trend in alot of texas beers . Watery beers that are probably thirst quenching but not conforming style-wise. This beer just is weak. Way too watery tasting, not enough malt umph nor enough noble hop character. Hops taste weird too. Off, almost catty

03-21-2013 00:27:12 | More by jneiswender
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Buffalo Wild Wings in Lubbock, TX.

The beer is black with a half inch of beige head. The aroma offers light roast, chocolate, lager yeast, bread. Creamy feel and nice balance. Bready chocolates. Light to medium bodied with fairly low carbonation. Silky smooth and easy drinking. Good stuff.

01-25-2013 03:01:16 | More by Huhzubendah
Ford

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at Gordon Street Tavern in Alvin, Texas.

Easy to taste the chocolate and coffee... at least to me.

Not much alcohol taste. Smells good.

This is really easy to drink, especially for a dark beer. I'll have another some time, though it wasn't love at first taste.

09-23-2012 01:40:13 | More by Ford
cfrances33

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Served on tap at random Dallas bar in a shaker pint.

Pour: Dark brown with a two finger tan head. Sticks around for a while.

Smell: Roasted malts and smoke and that pretty much about it.

Taste: Yup follows the nose to a T. Pretty simple.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but very drinkable. Again pretty simple.

Overall: Got this as an alternative to the BMC on tap, and it was clearly better than those offerings, but again - only got it because it was all I could, and would only get again in the same situation.

07-29-2012 20:56:05 | More by cfrances33
TwinButte

South Dakota

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

On tap at Hoffbrau Steaks in Dallas TX.

Big pint glass! Everything is big in Texas! A very dark brown with a small brownish head. Low hop profile but right on for style. Leaves a nice slightly bitter after taste. That's really the best part of this brew. It is somewhat watery but is a great beer to drink with my burger.

Glad I was able to try one from Rahr & Sons. Wished I could have had their scotch ale!

02-25-2012 18:57:52 | More by TwinButte
FanofHefe

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap in a pint glass. Dark brown body, clear, with a one-finger mocha head. The head dissipates fairly quickly leaving only specks of lacing.

Decent aroma of roasted malt, licorice, and dark fruit. Not a lot more to offer here.

The flavor has a nice roasted malt flavor, as well, and comes across sweeter than I would have expected from the aroma. Some chocolate in the flavor as well and the aforementioned dark fruit.

The mouthfeel has a much more thin and light consistency than I would have desired. Overall, a decent brew.

01-31-2012 01:11:03 | More by FanofHefe
gtermi

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a nice black with a white head.

S: I am getting a lot of roasted malt and coffee from this beer and find it very enjoyable.

T: The beer is sort of weak, but still has a decent amount of sweetness, roasted malt and some chocolate.

M: This isnt the smoothest beer, but still very enjoyable.

O: I love going to the Rahr tour and having this on draft. It is a good beer and I love getting it once in a while. This to me is Rahr's most popular beer.

11-19-2011 08:06:38 | More by gtermi
elNopalero

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours cola-like with a lot of foam that doesn’t dies down. Impressive appearance, but that’s the extent of it. Not much on the nose. There’s very little roast but a lot of lingering maltiness. A bit of an unwelcome sour bite. Cloyingly sweet. Thin bodied, which makes it drinkable. Dial up the viscosity and I’d call it a good sipper if I was in the mood for something after dinner. I can see why this is a favorite for some but it just doesn’t work for me.

10-18-2011 19:36:18 | More by elNopalero
AdamBear

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A-very dark brown, translucent around the edges. thin cream colored head

S-smells like smoked coffee malts. medium strength

T-comes in with thick coffee malts that are slightly smoked with a slight taste of chocolate. it rides the line of some baltic porters. the taste of grinded coffee remains. it gets slightly bitter and goes in to a matching after-taste. the tastes all are of decent quality and medium strength.

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-well this is definitely a good tasting beer. its fairly mild yet fairly exciting at the same time. its refreshing to get this sort of taste from the low ABV and lager format. i'm impressed with this attempt at the style.

08-04-2011 23:58:01 | More by AdamBear
KateMcN

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

schwarzbier style, but not as rounded or flavorful as some of the better ones i've tried. (although my standard is death and taxes, and those are big kegs to fill.)

coffee grinds, earth, minerals, smoke, bitter chocolate, all very mildly detectable.

thin body. finishes clean.

easy-going session beer to the max.

01-01-2011 20:28:16 | More by KateMcN
ndolover

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Aroma: up front chocolate, some coffee notes, some burnt malt, coffee persists as it warms

Appearance: tan head dissappears quickly, small and large bubbles

Flavor: Full chocolate, with some burnt malt flavors, clean lager yeast, roast flavors persists

Mouthfeel: thin mouthfeel, low carbonation, no astringency

Overall: This was not indicative of a true German Schwartz beer. However, it is very drinkable...but not to style. I was intrigued by the top beers in Zymurgy mag, but it looks like this was a ballot stuffer. =)

08-18-2010 22:46:47 | More by ndolover
Redrover

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

This was on of four Rahr beers on tap at the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth. Way to support the local breweries!!

Served in a standard straight pint glass, the beer is an opaque black with brown highlights and a creamy beige head.

Nose of charred malts and brown sugar.

The taste leads with dark roasted malts, molasses, a hint of coffee and some baker's chocolate. Well integrated.

The mouth could be a bit heftier, but it does make it easy to session. Give me more black lagers!

05-27-2010 16:26:01 | More by Redrover
GregSVT

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet...one of my all time favs from Rahr. Had on tap at the brewery and out of the bottle but I'll review the on-tap version.

A: Pours black with very little light coming through. A big dark brown head slowly fades to a small layer and leaves a ton of lacing.

S: The nose is full of cocoa, chocolate malts, coffee, and a slight sweetness.

T: The taste is excellent with a big dose of chocolate and coffee with a malty sweetness and a slightly roasty/bitter finish.

M: The feel is creamy and smooth...very porter-ish.

D: This is one of the most drinkable dark beers I've had. The ABV is incredibly low for a beer with this much flavor. I sat and drank 4 or 5 of these during the big game on Sunday and wasn't even phased.

This is very close to being a porter...if it was a tad darker I'd say it was. If you can find it on tap it's excellent...the bottle falls a bit short of this score in the mouthfeel department but it's still good.

02-08-2010 18:45:48 | More by GregSVT
fjordhook

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

appearance: had a very nice look, dark chocolatey brown that looks thick already

smell: right away i could smell the chocolate, but laced within there were hints of nuts and malts

taste: a very thick beer, where all the blends from the smell mix together with a bite

mouthfeel/drinkability: felt like a meal while drinking, the combination of a dark beer and the bite it had didn't feel right to me

01-09-2010 04:05:20 | More by fjordhook
brewdoc75

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Had on tap last night at the Y.O. Steakhouse.

A: Black/brown in color with ruby highlights. A slight off white head dies down quickly. Good carbonation throughout.

S: Not a whole lot in the way of aroma, but I get some licorice, chocolate and roasted flavors.

T: Chocolate flavor seems to be the strongest, followed by some roasted flavors. I do get a hint of licorice in the end. Really no hop flavors, which fits the style ok. The flavors were a bit muted. I even let it warm a bit and it didn't seem to help a whole lot.

M: A bit on the watery end. I'd say this one was leaning towards light-bodied.

D: This was a pretty above-average beer. Definitely my best choice on tap and probably the best beer I had in Dallas, however my experience was limited to Shiner, Negro Modelo, and Sam adams. It paired well with my sirloin steak, but I was longing for a bit more flavor. Worth a try.

04-30-2009 00:49:29 | More by brewdoc75
champ103

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours a dark brown with some red highlights. A small beige head forms. Light lace is left behind.
S: Roasted malt with some sweet grain. A light hop aroma. Not much is here.
T: Follows the nose. Sweet roasted malt with some grain. A very light hop bitterness.
M/D: A light to medium body. A bit over carbonated for my tastes. A little on the watery side. Easy and smooth to drink. Something I could session if nothing else was around.

Kind of bland. Decent, but nothing I would recommend with enthusiasm.

03-12-2009 03:40:15 | More by champ103
miket163

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

I had Ugly Pug Black Lager on tap today at the Rahr and Sons brewery. It is really a beautiful beer, black but very dark brown under a light. There was a nice half-inch head that lasted a few drinks, but it still had fairly good lacing. The beer was very smooth with a smoky charred flavor, with slight hop bitterness in the back of the tongue. Very good!

Cheers!