Pecker Wrecker - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: assurbanipaul on 09-15-2005)
2.65/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle into shaker glass. 2011 release

This beer pours a nice clear copper with decent slightly off white head. Head dissipated quickly and lacing was not prevalent
Nose consisted of grassy hops, grains and a heavy bready malt.
The taste was not as hoppy as I had surmised from the nose. There is the grassy bitterness accompanied by some onion. To me, this beer tasted like plain potato chips, A LOT. There was also a lot of nuttiness to it that wasn't balanced that well with the hops. Mouthfeel was crazy dry, way too much, and tacky. Overall I think this was a fail in the To Thee series. I really enjoyed the BB winter warmer and the Snowmageddon was decent but this one didn't do it for me.

OakedCanuck, Jun 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance:
Golden-amber color, clear. Lots of bubbles screaming up. Head looks very nice. Lacing is awesome on the glass.

Aroma:
Spicy-herbal hops. Sweet malts, slight caramel. Orange citrus.

Taste:
Spicy hops up front along with sweet malts at the end. Very hoppy, but not too aggressive like an IPA. I’m getting spicy, herbal, grassy hop character. Very nice malt backbone; sweet, biscuity, slight caramel. Very balance. Body is medium. Carbonation is soft in my palate.

Finish:
Very smooth. A little crisp. Slight dry bitterness in the aftertaste.

Overall:
My very first Imperial Pilsner. I’m really enjoying it!! Very good beer.

mjurney, Jun 05, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -4.6%

This is the newest release in the breweries To Thee series.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the bread with some grassy hops. The flavor is more of the same. I get some low bitterness from the grassy and earthy hops as well as some toffee and bready malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not as good as the last two releases: Bourbon Barrel Winter Warmer and Snowmageddon.

Mora2000, May 29, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow! Am I the first to review the new bottle version of this beer? What a treat! I just saw this beer at the Downtown Spec's in Houston a couple days ago, so I gave it a couple days to sit since it made the trip on my motorcycle...that way it could settle down again. Let's give this latest offering a try, shall we?

Appearance: Pours a clear deep yellow golden that has a small 1/8" head of active white bubbles on top that didn't really stick around all that long (~20 seconds). There are lots of bubbles lazily making their way to the top indicating that this beer has some residual viscosity. The bubbles don't really stick once they find their way to the top. There is some lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: In the cold beer, the aroma is reserved as you would expect for this style. There are some toasty notes from the European malts that I would consider essential, and there is some hops noticeable up front, though I don't pick up the Saaz you would expect for this style. Instead there is hops seeming to interplay with the water a bit to bring out the sulfates in this beer...though that may be a product of the yeast that I am misinterpreting.

Taste: The beer is very heavy on the palate and comes across quite syrupy. There is also a defined sharpness to the grain that I really can't appreciate and assume that it was something that happened in the mash...such as too high of a sparge temperature or something that was reacting with the water as well, but the first sip of this beer was pretty harsh. The subsequent sips are getting easier to take, so I am assuming that part of this astringency is due to high bittering, but it is getting muddled up for me. The hops are coming out a lot more as the beer warms up and is definitely the major contributing factor to this palate sensation that I am getting. The water isn't helping either. The body of this beer is full with low carbonation for what you would want for a beer like this. If the CO2 was at least double what it is now, it may help to take the edge off of the bitterness and sharper malty notes.

Opinion: I was really wanting to like this beer. I like the Rahr group, but I have been out of the loop for a couple years, so I don't know if Mark and Fritz are still calling the shots there. If so, this beer is falling short IMHO. At least the carbonation needs to be higher, but it really seems like there is something off with both the water and the mash schedule on this one. Not to mention the fact that the bittering is really high...which almost indicates a longer boil than intended or something. I will drink my whole glass, but I won't go back to this one unless I know that there was some major process change to improve the drinkability and to a lesser extent, the flavor.

SkeeterHawk, May 29, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a clear amber color with a foamy light tan head that fades into a nice lace. Nose is a bit subdued but there are notes of spicy hops. There are notes of sweet honey malt in the taste, though this is overpowered by an earthy mineral quality as well as a very pronounced bitterness. The hops do not provide much in the way of fruity citrus or spicy flavors, but rather just a strong bitterness leading to a very dry finish. An interesting beer and certainly worth a try.

Morris729, Nov 17, 2005

Interesting seasonal introduced by Rahr.

They've turned up the recipe a bit with the malt, hops and alcohol content which has made a special brew for a once a session tasting.

I do not recommend it for people inclined to Ales or prefer malt as
this beer is not for everyone.

beerdiablo, Oct 24, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -4.6%

Enjoyed on tap at the Rahr brewery sponsored Iron Mash award dinner

Aroma: Light overall aroma with spicy peppery hops and a slight honey aroma. There was also that “water” smell that I can’t seem to describe any better.

Appearance: Dark gold glass with a hint of red crowned with a fair white cover that left a couple spots of lace.

Flavor: Deep bittering hops. The beer has a soak your chops bitter aspect to it and some caramel sweetness that tries to bring it back into balance, but fails. I put this into the “hop bomb” category.

Mouthfeel: Bone dry finish, moderate carbonation.

Overall Impression: A very dry, very embittered beer. Overall I found it just a touch harsh between the bittering hops and a noticeable alcohol flavor. That said, it was well made, just not quite my personal cup of tea. I learned they only made 100 kegs, and there are only about 33 left. You might want to hurry if you want a sample, they weren’t sure they were going to make this one again.

HardTarget, Oct 10, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a clear amber color, minimal head. Very light aroma, barely Saazy.

Taste is clean and dry with the barest hint of crystal malt in the background. Dry, very dry, mega-dry, scrape-yer-tongue dry. Nutty flavors, maybe even a little salty, with Saaz, Saaz and more Saaz, like an Urquell on steroids.

Very crisp, light mouthfeel, though slightly heavier than an Urquell with a puckering aftertaste and, oh, did I mention dry? Saazy burps throughout. It's about 6.5-7.0% ABV but extremely drinkable if you like the style and from our immediate impressions, that seems to be the concensus: If you like pilsners, this is great; if not, it's probably too much. OK, so I'm hooked -- too bad it's a seasonal thang.

Sampled at it's debut at the Fort Worth Flying Saucer, with the 1st Anniversary pilsner logo glass. No plans to bottle in the immediate future but that could change if it is well-received; it will probably be a fall annual, in any case.

assurbanipaul, Sep 15, 2005