Bucking Bock - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: assurbanipaul on 03-09-2006)

Rahr continues to surprise with their brewing prowess and one of their key strengths is hiding the alcohol's prescence in mouthfeel and taste.

At 8%, you don't know where the heck the "punch" is.

I would like to see more of a roasted malt taste as this comes across as a general lager but I think Rahr's will move forward as they continually improve their beers.

Keep an eye out for this yearly.

every single thing about this beer is average. living in texas this beer did not impress me as i have had about a zillion texas bocks before. its about the same price as shiner but a little thicker and alot more drinkable. nothing special but i would recommended it over shiner and ziegen. for others who like bocks it is certainly worth a try and a good outside drinking bock beer. hope they can fare in the flooded bock market of texas....my beer prayers are with them.

3.05/5  rDev -10.8%

A: This pours a clear golden body with a thin white head that quickly fades.

S: Really not much there.... There is a bit of malt and some lager yeast. Other than that its very weak.

T: There is a strong amount of malt that lingers on the palate for a long while. Still not much there..

M: This isnt too bad and goes down pretty smooth. It leaves a full feeling in the mouth and has a bit of crispness on the back of the tongue and throat.

O: This is just an average beer. Really nothing I would crazy about and not worth the 9.50 I paid.

3.05/5  rDev -10.8%

Got this in a local4local trade from ramielschild

While I've been on a big beer kick as of late, it's nice to venture back to the German styles from time to time.

The alcohol is masked fairly well in this brew. I don't know what else to say about it, unfortunately. Is it horrible? No. Is it great? No. Pretty run of the mill for a bock.

3.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

A - Plenty of bright white head. Light and clear gold color. Looks refreshing. Some carbonation.

S - Smells malty. Maybe a little biscuity, possibly some citrus.

T - Strikes me as very similar to Shiner Bock, one of my more regular brews. Nothing really stands out, however.

M - Very smooth and easy to drink. Not too heavy and not too light – a good choice as a medium beer. Slightly bitter aftertaste.

Summary - A decent beer overall. Good for parties with guests who prefer something other than the lighter junk out there. Not a bad beer, and one I would drink on occasion, but is basically a clone of Shiner Bock, so I'll probably stick with that.

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with fluffy white head. There are white chunks floating in the beer. Smells like sweet honey malt and a little alcohol. There is also a slight barnyard odor. A sweet malt, buttery flavor and a little bitterness in the finish. The flavors are not very strong. There is a wild yeast flavor in the background. Definitely tastes better than it smells. The beer is watery and thin. Drinkability is ok.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Part of a mixed case of 6 packs I brought back from a trip to Ft. Worth. After the first couple of beers I thought that there was something seriously wrong with this beer. As I sit down to review it I notice it is a Maibock. Well, that explains a lot for me.

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is clear and golden in color. I was getting ready to ding this for not being more brown, but for the style it is not too bad. My pour produces a white head near 1/2 inch. If I had used a pilsner glass I would have gotten much more.

Smell: Some light grainy malts. Nothing hop like. Perhaps a bit bready or maybe I am reaching just to find something.

Taste: Malty, not roasted malts. More grainy, bready, perhaps a touch of caramel. Slightly sweet. No hop presence with this beer.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than expected with some good carbonation. At around 8% ABV this one is a bit of an alcohol bomb, but the alcohol is well hidded. I get no bick warming wensation or alcohol burn in my throat.

Drinkability: Very drinklable for such high ABV, almost dangerous. I think this is so drinkable because it is kinda bland. At $8.99 (or was it $9.99?) a six pack I will probably not purchase again. It's not that great.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

A: Light amber in color, thin layer of tight head that dropped quite quickly, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Noticeable graininess, slight toastiness, faint hop aroma - mostly earthy and herbal - 3.25, T: Slight cream corn flavors, pale malts, mild hop bite, faint pepper and herbal tang - 3.00, M: Medium bodied and medium carbonated - 3.50, D: A decent beer, pleasing hop bite for those that enjoy the noble hops, significant malt, alcohol is nicely masked - 3.50

3.25/5  rDev -5%

12 oz. bottle tried 29 Feb 2008.

Pours with a medium sized foamy light tan head. Clear golden amber color. Aroma is malty sweet with a bit of salty sweet popcorn. Flavor is light, slightly sweet, somewhat mineraly. Slight hint of sweet lemon in the finish. Light body. Alcohol seems less than 8%.

Really want to like Rahr better than I do, but always seem like a little something is missing.

3.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From my tasting notes: It poured a golden amber with a large white head. The initial taste of the Bucking Bock was bracingly bitter as I was expecting nothing but heavy malts. As the beer warmed the bitterness faded but was still present. I am not sure if they were going for a hoppier Maibock but in terms of the style, the bitterness could be tamed. In the end the Bucking Bock was still an enjoyable beer although overly bitter for the style, and the higher than usual ABV made me forget all about the bitterness.

Bucking Bock from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company