Stormcloud IPA - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Stormcloud IPAStormcloud IPA

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: beerdiablo on 03-11-2007)
Reviews by BryanCarey:
3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

This IPA pours to a copper/tan color with a nose that is fruity and malty. The head of foam looks nice and there is a good deal of lacing that continues to the bottom of the glass

This ale has an interesting flavor profile that includes a few surprises for the style. There is some caramel malt, some earthy hops, vanilla, citrus, toasted malt, and a touch of pine. Searching for more flavors reveals a little bit of toffee and other fruit such as lemon. The body of the beer is medium overall and fairly easy drinking for the style.

Stormcloud IPA is a different type of IPA- a beer that has some obvious IPA qualities, but also some German notes that add up to a unique flavor not usually associated with an IPA. Some may even wonder why the company decided to place IPA on the label since this beer isn’t like the typical IPA. I wondered the same thing at first, but I gradually grew to respect this beer for what it is- a German/IPA hybrid that is unlike most products I have tried previously.

This IPA may be a letdown to those looking for some intense hop flavors, but it is still an interesting beer in its own way. It isn’t easy to find, but I recommend sampling a bottle or two if you get the chance, just to find out what such a combination of German and IPA will taste like.

BryanCarey, Dec 31, 2012

Gowcheco, Aug 30, 2014

SmellsofMahagony, May 17, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is toffee with some grassy hops and some floral notes. The flavor is heavy on the floral hops and biscuit malt. I also get some grassy and earthy hops and some malt that makes the beer taste a bit like unsweet iced tea. Low bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Nov 29, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -42.4%

I am trying to get into this beer but I keep getting a large red flashing sign that does not read "Don't Panic" - instead it insists:

DIACETYL

I just start to enjoy some interesting herbacious or citrus notes when that buttery demon stomps on everything. The malt bill seems pretty straightforward and the hops are doing their best to lend an interesting counterpoint but ... Agh. I just cannot get past this butter-bomb of a beer. Someone else notes butterscotch - that's the diacetyl for sure and to me it is overwhelming. A flawed execution of an interesting idea.

randal, May 02, 2007

Tamlin, Apr 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -3%

HoppySeb, Jun 09, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -3%

Draco, Jul 05, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)
thanks to mhewes for this brew
A- This beer pours a warm bright yellow crystal clear body with a good strong sea of tiny bubbles and a meringues of off-white head that last a good while.

S- The dry crisp hop aroma has a light sulfur note to it with a green lemon quality. There is a light dry buttered corn note that comes through as the beer warms.

T- The light dry pale malt flavor leads into a lightly pungent hop note with a light bitter noble hop finish. The bitterness lingers only for a split second.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tight clean fizz finish.

D- The Noble hops and sulfur hints and some interesting touches to this IPA but it was really light in flavor and aroma with not much depth.

rhoadsrage, Jul 29, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -29%

Thanks to jasonjlewis for this extra.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint. No dating.

Bottle says German style IPA, not American IPA

A: Certainly doesn't pour like an American IPA. Pours a dark shade of yellow with lots of visibility. 1 finger of head forms and dies within 30 seconds to some chunks on the surface. Some lacing. Millions of bubbles running all around and some even clinking to the sides on the way up.

S: Smells like a European IPA. Big floral notes dominate instead of mostly citrus and it has plenty of yeastiness. Malts don't let off any sweetness, instead a dull bread/grain.

T/M: Very very yeasty. Malts taste a bit like banana bread. Hops have an earthy, floral taste. No bitterness, nothing that I'd call juicy. Body is pretty light and carbonation is extremely high.

D: Just pretty bland and uninspiring.

pwoods, Dec 27, 2007

En29356, Oct 29, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +23.3%

Crystal clear with a sort of strange combo of colors. It's sort of a darker version of your average Pils. Gold on top, yellow on the bottom. Fluffy white head on top that seems to want to stick around awhile. Lots of carbonation clearly visible, very fast moving. The combo of colors and the big bubbly head let you know this is something different.

Pineapple, grasses, straw and a little lemon round out the first sniff. Stepping back a little, it's definitely on the fruity side, non-citrus, with some herbal and floral notes in the mix. Doesn't seem to want to go much deeper than that. Not bad though.

Sweet caramel followed by toffee and distinct bread flavors make up the backbone of this brew. There is an almost delicate bitterness that sort of floats on top of it all. Grapefruity bitterness that is. Seems to get a little more bitter with each sip, but that malty backbone comes right back in as soon as the grapefruit starts to get a little wild. As it warms, you can get a little sweet candy sort of flavor at the sides of the tongue.

I don't know that I could call this well balanced, but it's uniquely balanced. There's a wonderful play of flavors going on above the bed of sweet vs bitter mouthfeel. It's not over the top or exotic even. It somehow feels familiar, yet very unusual at the same time. Honestly, it's a little hard to say if I like it or not, but I do think it's pretty tasty and certainly interesting.

I love the idea, unique character and creativity of this beer and the execution is pretty spot on. Worth a pour for IPA fans who are looking for something a little more subtle and definitely different.

skillerified, Apr 12, 2007

InVinoVeritas, Dec 20, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours just a bit to the amber side of golden, clear, with a big fizzy head that subsides into a nicely formed cap supported by streaming carbonation.

Aroma is very floral, with some grain and zest in there. In the mouth, very light with prominent carbonation, with a bite of grain kicked aside by a big hop bitterness. Plenty of spicy, peppery stuff, a little toast, a little fresh grass... Finishes very dry.

Interesting. Hard to review this as an IPA, but it's nice to see Rahr & Sons continue to be adventurous with their seasonal brews. A very drinkable spring beer, and one that would pair especially well, I think, with some nice smoky Texas barbecued brisket.

Melchizedek, Apr 13, 2007

jALEson, Dec 19, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

aty11b, May 30, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

I had this on tap at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas, TX. They had a special rare tapping of a Stormcloud cask. Here's an interesting story, as I was holding up the beer to see its color in the light I noticed two weird-looking and sort of fuzzy little pieces of...something in the bottom of my glass. I immediately thought the glass had something in it, obviously, that wasn't supposed to be there so I had my waiter see it and get me a new one. I saw him talk to the owner and then the guy at the bar. When my waiter came back with a new Stormcloud he explained how they had just finished off the cask and the beer in it was dry-hopped so what were in my glass were little pieces of hops! Cool! I kind of wanted to have the other glass back and drink it! :P Anyway, now to review (and I'm not sure if they nitro-tapped it).

I received my Stormcloud with a nice two finger, creamy-bubbly, and off-white head that had some good retention in the glass and left plenty of lacing. The beer itself was an amber-copper color that was a bit hazy.

This dry-hopped version of the Stormcloud smelled fantastic. Extremely floral, very hoppy. Pine resin and a bit of mango were there and I think the overt hoppiness brought out a spiciness that tingled my nostrils a bit.

When I first started drinking the Stormcloud I found it to be much like most of Rahr's beers. They sacrifice flavor for drinkability. Now, I'm all fine with drinkability, especially when it's so damn hot in Texas, but I want my IPAs to have some kick to them. However, after I let it sit out a bit I enjoyed it more. The flavors came out more. There's a medium hoppiness and bitterness but the more I drank the more the taste lingered on the back of my tongue. There's a bit of mango/pineapple fruitiness and caramel sweetness. The pine resin has a presence throughout. Malts make a bit bready.

The mouthfeel isn't too impressive. Good carbonation and drinkability but it's simply too light-bodied for me. Pretty smooth throughout.

The look and smell of Stormcloud were excellent while the taste and mouthfeel let it down. It's too drinkable, too light, for an IPA in my opinion. Like most Rahr beers, it's a good one but it sacrifices flavor and body too much for drinkability.

BeardedRiker, Aug 04, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

It looks really nice. Beautiful foamy head and golden, clear. It's got a weird sweetness in the nose. Can't place it, but its a little funky and unpleasant, even if its not strong. It might be diacytl, but I'm not sure.

Too much bitterness and not enough balance. Love hops, but sometimes they bitter too much and don't bring the flavor. That's what we got here. A little sweetness, I guess from the malts but it doesn't feel right. Mouth feel it full. Over all its not too bad. Its problems don't make it undrinkable, but probably won't seek it out.

kyleelton, Dec 11, 2012

jheezee, Dec 14, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Got this one from Finnman, cheers!

First off this unlike any AIPA I've ever had, since it didn't really stick to the profile the review reflects that reality

Pours a way too effervescent hazed straw color with crazy foaming 4+ fingers of meringue-like head. Insane lacing & head retention

S: Slight floral & citric hops, plus a bit of soapyness as this warmed

T: Astringent grainyness, some grassyness & lots of lemony & peppery hops up front. Beer balances out better as this warms with peppery, plus grapefruitty hops & a slight fruityness (pears, appleskins & apricots). Finishes with crispness & apple skins, kind of refreshing, but strange

MF: Medium bodied, overgassed & not very good balance at first

Drinks alright, but I could've embraced this more as a bastardized Kolsch/Pils hybrid. Still would work as a summer-time sipper if you're not too hung up on styles

russpowell, Apr 22, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

Light amber-orange color with delicate head and nice lacing.

Roasted malt scents with slight caramel and hop spiciness.

Spicy grain flavor with a dusty hop bitterness.

Light crisp mouthfeel reminiscent more of a pale ale (reminds me of Sierra Nevada a bit; not the flavor specifically, but the overall impression).

Easy to drink, but I think I would have to rate it higher if it was labeled as a Pale Ale instead of an IPA.

BeerZack, Jul 03, 2007

Dwtucker90, Aug 08, 2012

ejfreed, Oct 31, 2012

TheSleepyMonkey, May 18, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is yellow hazy and thick with good carbonation. The head is big thick white and leaves very good lace.

The smell is ok not real hoppy, malt makes a nice showing.

The taste is ok again not real hoppy, but I do like the malt profile. Beady and nutty like a good Hellas. Kinda chewy as well.

The mouthfeel is nice, good better then medium body and a ok carbonation.

The drinkability in good this beer was a nice extra provided by Jason Lewis, Thanks Bro!.

Prosit Mk