Stormcloud IPA - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Stormcloud IPAStormcloud IPA

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: beerdiablo on 03-11-2007)
Reviews by Premo88:
3.99/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into pub glass

L: murky caramel with definite amber highlights; almost orange, actually ... kind of cool. love the murky opaque look. slight off-white fluffy head that laces; not a ton of lace but definite clingings on the glass wall.

S: molasses mixed into a typical hoppy American pale ale; in fact, the sweet/malty/molasses smell is very on balance with the hops, to the point that the hops do not stand on their own in the nose.

T: follows the nose almost to a T. wonderful and interesting spin on the American IPA ... that sweet taste in there is very different and hard for me to place exactly. the bottom line is there's a lot of balance here between the barley and hops.

M: crisp, clean, a wonderful lightness that is not watery. would be perfect but it's actually over-carbonated, which doesn't bother me at all because I love carbonation -- but even I can tell this one is just a hair overboard from the mythical "perfect."

O: absolutely LOVE it! I don't overscore it here because it's not going to change your life and cause you to declare Stormcloud is the only beer you will ever drink again. No. it's very, very good, not necessarily a classic, but what I love is the BALANCE ... loads of interesting tastes besides hops, yet enough hops (and ABV) to push it past the American pale ale category into the American IPA.

for a Texas comparison, I think this tastes almost exactly like Karbach's Rodeo Clown ... maybe just a bit toned down across the board -- taste, smell, ABV, et. al.

a damn good option when you're out and about in the Metroplex and/or other Texas spots.

Premo88, May 07, 2013

Gowcheco, Aug 30, 2014

SmellsofMahagony, May 17, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is toffee with some grassy hops and some floral notes. The flavor is heavy on the floral hops and biscuit malt. I also get some grassy and earthy hops and some malt that makes the beer taste a bit like unsweet iced tea. Low bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Nov 29, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -42.2%

I am trying to get into this beer but I keep getting a large red flashing sign that does not read "Don't Panic" - instead it insists:

DIACETYL

I just start to enjoy some interesting herbacious or citrus notes when that buttery demon stomps on everything. The malt bill seems pretty straightforward and the hops are doing their best to lend an interesting counterpoint but ... Agh. I just cannot get past this butter-bomb of a beer. Someone else notes butterscotch - that's the diacetyl for sure and to me it is overwhelming. A flawed execution of an interesting idea.

randal, May 02, 2007

Tamlin, Apr 17, 2013

HoppySeb, Jun 09, 2014

Draco, Jul 05, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)
thanks to mhewes for this brew
A- This beer pours a warm bright yellow crystal clear body with a good strong sea of tiny bubbles and a meringues of off-white head that last a good while.

S- The dry crisp hop aroma has a light sulfur note to it with a green lemon quality. There is a light dry buttered corn note that comes through as the beer warms.

T- The light dry pale malt flavor leads into a lightly pungent hop note with a light bitter noble hop finish. The bitterness lingers only for a split second.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tight clean fizz finish.

D- The Noble hops and sulfur hints and some interesting touches to this IPA but it was really light in flavor and aroma with not much depth.

rhoadsrage, Jul 29, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -28.7%

Thanks to jasonjlewis for this extra.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint. No dating.

Bottle says German style IPA, not American IPA

A: Certainly doesn't pour like an American IPA. Pours a dark shade of yellow with lots of visibility. 1 finger of head forms and dies within 30 seconds to some chunks on the surface. Some lacing. Millions of bubbles running all around and some even clinking to the sides on the way up.

S: Smells like a European IPA. Big floral notes dominate instead of mostly citrus and it has plenty of yeastiness. Malts don't let off any sweetness, instead a dull bread/grain.

T/M: Very very yeasty. Malts taste a bit like banana bread. Hops have an earthy, floral taste. No bitterness, nothing that I'd call juicy. Body is pretty light and carbonation is extremely high.

D: Just pretty bland and uninspiring.

pwoods, Dec 27, 2007

LXIXME, Oct 18, 2014

En29356, Oct 29, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

Crystal clear with a sort of strange combo of colors. It's sort of a darker version of your average Pils. Gold on top, yellow on the bottom. Fluffy white head on top that seems to want to stick around awhile. Lots of carbonation clearly visible, very fast moving. The combo of colors and the big bubbly head let you know this is something different.

Pineapple, grasses, straw and a little lemon round out the first sniff. Stepping back a little, it's definitely on the fruity side, non-citrus, with some herbal and floral notes in the mix. Doesn't seem to want to go much deeper than that. Not bad though.

Sweet caramel followed by toffee and distinct bread flavors make up the backbone of this brew. There is an almost delicate bitterness that sort of floats on top of it all. Grapefruity bitterness that is. Seems to get a little more bitter with each sip, but that malty backbone comes right back in as soon as the grapefruit starts to get a little wild. As it warms, you can get a little sweet candy sort of flavor at the sides of the tongue.

I don't know that I could call this well balanced, but it's uniquely balanced. There's a wonderful play of flavors going on above the bed of sweet vs bitter mouthfeel. It's not over the top or exotic even. It somehow feels familiar, yet very unusual at the same time. Honestly, it's a little hard to say if I like it or not, but I do think it's pretty tasty and certainly interesting.

I love the idea, unique character and creativity of this beer and the execution is pretty spot on. Worth a pour for IPA fans who are looking for something a little more subtle and definitely different.

skillerified, Apr 12, 2007

InVinoVeritas, Dec 20, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours just a bit to the amber side of golden, clear, with a big fizzy head that subsides into a nicely formed cap supported by streaming carbonation.

Aroma is very floral, with some grain and zest in there. In the mouth, very light with prominent carbonation, with a bite of grain kicked aside by a big hop bitterness. Plenty of spicy, peppery stuff, a little toast, a little fresh grass... Finishes very dry.

Interesting. Hard to review this as an IPA, but it's nice to see Rahr & Sons continue to be adventurous with their seasonal brews. A very drinkable spring beer, and one that would pair especially well, I think, with some nice smoky Texas barbecued brisket.

Melchizedek, Apr 13, 2007

jALEson, Dec 19, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

aty11b, May 30, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas, TX. They had a special rare tapping of a Stormcloud cask. Here's an interesting story, as I was holding up the beer to see its color in the light I noticed two weird-looking and sort of fuzzy little pieces of...something in the bottom of my glass. I immediately thought the glass had something in it, obviously, that wasn't supposed to be there so I had my waiter see it and get me a new one. I saw him talk to the owner and then the guy at the bar. When my waiter came back with a new Stormcloud he explained how they had just finished off the cask and the beer in it was dry-hopped so what were in my glass were little pieces of hops! Cool! I kind of wanted to have the other glass back and drink it! :P Anyway, now to review (and I'm not sure if they nitro-tapped it).

I received my Stormcloud with a nice two finger, creamy-bubbly, and off-white head that had some good retention in the glass and left plenty of lacing. The beer itself was an amber-copper color that was a bit hazy.

This dry-hopped version of the Stormcloud smelled fantastic. Extremely floral, very hoppy. Pine resin and a bit of mango were there and I think the overt hoppiness brought out a spiciness that tingled my nostrils a bit.

When I first started drinking the Stormcloud I found it to be much like most of Rahr's beers. They sacrifice flavor for drinkability. Now, I'm all fine with drinkability, especially when it's so damn hot in Texas, but I want my IPAs to have some kick to them. However, after I let it sit out a bit I enjoyed it more. The flavors came out more. There's a medium hoppiness and bitterness but the more I drank the more the taste lingered on the back of my tongue. There's a bit of mango/pineapple fruitiness and caramel sweetness. The pine resin has a presence throughout. Malts make a bit bready.

The mouthfeel isn't too impressive. Good carbonation and drinkability but it's simply too light-bodied for me. Pretty smooth throughout.

The look and smell of Stormcloud were excellent while the taste and mouthfeel let it down. It's too drinkable, too light, for an IPA in my opinion. Like most Rahr beers, it's a good one but it sacrifices flavor and body too much for drinkability.

BeardedRiker, Aug 04, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It looks really nice. Beautiful foamy head and golden, clear. It's got a weird sweetness in the nose. Can't place it, but its a little funky and unpleasant, even if its not strong. It might be diacytl, but I'm not sure.

Too much bitterness and not enough balance. Love hops, but sometimes they bitter too much and don't bring the flavor. That's what we got here. A little sweetness, I guess from the malts but it doesn't feel right. Mouth feel it full. Over all its not too bad. Its problems don't make it undrinkable, but probably won't seek it out.

kyleelton, Dec 11, 2012

jheezee, Dec 14, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Got this one from Finnman, cheers!

First off this unlike any AIPA I've ever had, since it didn't really stick to the profile the review reflects that reality

Pours a way too effervescent hazed straw color with crazy foaming 4+ fingers of meringue-like head. Insane lacing & head retention

S: Slight floral & citric hops, plus a bit of soapyness as this warmed

T: Astringent grainyness, some grassyness & lots of lemony & peppery hops up front. Beer balances out better as this warms with peppery, plus grapefruitty hops & a slight fruityness (pears, appleskins & apricots). Finishes with crispness & apple skins, kind of refreshing, but strange

MF: Medium bodied, overgassed & not very good balance at first

Drinks alright, but I could've embraced this more as a bastardized Kolsch/Pils hybrid. Still would work as a summer-time sipper if you're not too hung up on styles

russpowell, Apr 22, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

Light amber-orange color with delicate head and nice lacing.

Roasted malt scents with slight caramel and hop spiciness.

Spicy grain flavor with a dusty hop bitterness.

Light crisp mouthfeel reminiscent more of a pale ale (reminds me of Sierra Nevada a bit; not the flavor specifically, but the overall impression).

Easy to drink, but I think I would have to rate it higher if it was labeled as a Pale Ale instead of an IPA.

BeerZack, Jul 04, 2007