Stormcloud IPA - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Stormcloud IPAStormcloud IPA

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: beerdiablo on 03-11-2007)
Amistoso

01-25-2012 02:25:29 | More by drh1382
bmwats

Louisiana

2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pub glass.

A: Deep copper hue. Pours about 3 finger, foamy, whitish head. Crumbles away slowly, leaving lots of dry, sticky residue behind; and a blanket of lingering foam. Sporadic but persistent lacing remains.

S: Baked Italian bread, with a little lemon citrus, and honey. All on something of a woody tone.

T: Earthy and very piny. There's some hints of bubble gum, and dish soap, too.

M: Mouth puckering hop. Dry finish. An off-putting aftertaste.

D: This one does not go down easy.

Atmosphere is really nice. Very deep copper color with a big foamy head, and some nice persistent lacing. Nose is woody baked bread with some citrus and and sugar. Flavor is a very off-putting combination of pine with maybe some pine cleaner. Overall, this is a decent quaff.

01-23-2012 03:41:13 | More by bmwats

12-14-2011 04:45:20 | More by jheezee
gatornation

from 12 oz bottle i received as a extra

A=pours a clear golden amber color wit a 1 finger head

S- was malts and pine hops sweet bread

T- sweet bread malts first followed by a nice amount of pine hops with a bit of citrus

M- was crisp with oine hops medium carbonation a good amount of malts

O- a good ipa that leans towards malts but still has that bitter pine needle bite..not bad

12-10-2011 00:06:54 | More by gatornation

11-15-2011 23:43:50 | More by manutd103
SWMeyer4141

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a Claret...

Appearance-Dark burnt orange body with a white head, about one finger, that dissipates quickly. Leaves some nice lacing.

Smell-I could smell the aroma just sitting here looking at the beer writing the appearance. Bready, Caramel, Sweet, Malty. Very little hop aroma, some floral notes and I guess a little bit of pine.

Taste-The pine really comes through with the taste. Starts off with some caramel, and even some subtle chocolate. Then hit with some fresh pine and finish is pretty bland, but very clean and nice.

Mouthfeel-Pretty moderate carbonation, body is definitely medium. Pretty drinkable.

Overall-Not too bad. Haven't had much to say about Rahr and Sons but this one is okay, just missing some hop bitterness. above average beer.

10-31-2011 23:23:27 | More by SWMeyer4141
tjkinate

Nebraska

3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

Texas beer night continues!

Poured this partly cloudy, burnt orange bodied brew into a standard pint glass which produced a small head that was gone before I knew it. Only high point was that some lacing was exhibited.

Smell was sweet, surprisingly so. Reminded me of a pumpkin ale which left me questioning, where did the hops go?

Hops were more noticeable in the tasting, but were far from strong and were oddly accompanied by carmel malts and vanilla. Is this an IPA?

Never do I find the mouthfeel being my favorite part of a beer, well until now. Medium bodied, solid carbonation.

Overall, it seems this beers recipe of combining pumpkin and IPA characteristics should have been just an experiment. I love that Rahr & Sons went out on a limb, but its just not good enough to be one of your breweries staples.

10-09-2011 23:09:38 | More by tjkinate
chicano4craft

Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Thanks to slimchill for the extra.

Poured into tulip. Clear and light orange with a hugh fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing. Looks the part.

Not much going on in the nose. Some grass and subtle citrus. Malt doesn't contribute much.

Taste follows the nose. Where did the hops go? Taste more like a weak pale ale. There's a generic bitterness with some subtle malt sweetness. The flavors aren't gross, there just not there.

Mouthfeel is very thin. Good carbonation.

Overall I was left wanting. With a low abv I guess you could call it a session IPA. This was my second beer from Rahr and Sons and so far I'm still looking for a winner.

10-04-2011 23:24:19 | More by chicano4craft
BeardedRiker

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

I had this on tap at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas, TX. They had a special rare tapping of a Stormcloud cask. Here's an interesting story, as I was holding up the beer to see its color in the light I noticed two weird-looking and sort of fuzzy little pieces of...something in the bottom of my glass. I immediately thought the glass had something in it, obviously, that wasn't supposed to be there so I had my waiter see it and get me a new one. I saw him talk to the owner and then the guy at the bar. When my waiter came back with a new Stormcloud he explained how they had just finished off the cask and the beer in it was dry-hopped so what were in my glass were little pieces of hops! Cool! I kind of wanted to have the other glass back and drink it! :P Anyway, now to review (and I'm not sure if they nitro-tapped it).

I received my Stormcloud with a nice two finger, creamy-bubbly, and off-white head that had some good retention in the glass and left plenty of lacing. The beer itself was an amber-copper color that was a bit hazy.

This dry-hopped version of the Stormcloud smelled fantastic. Extremely floral, very hoppy. Pine resin and a bit of mango were there and I think the overt hoppiness brought out a spiciness that tingled my nostrils a bit.

When I first started drinking the Stormcloud I found it to be much like most of Rahr's beers. They sacrifice flavor for drinkability. Now, I'm all fine with drinkability, especially when it's so damn hot in Texas, but I want my IPAs to have some kick to them. However, after I let it sit out a bit I enjoyed it more. The flavors came out more. There's a medium hoppiness and bitterness but the more I drank the more the taste lingered on the back of my tongue. There's a bit of mango/pineapple fruitiness and caramel sweetness. The pine resin has a presence throughout. Malts make a bit bready.

The mouthfeel isn't too impressive. Good carbonation and drinkability but it's simply too light-bodied for me. Pretty smooth throughout.

The look and smell of Stormcloud were excellent while the taste and mouthfeel let it down. It's too drinkable, too light, for an IPA in my opinion. Like most Rahr beers, it's a good one but it sacrifices flavor and body too much for drinkability.

08-04-2011 08:18:21 | More by BeardedRiker
GarthDanielson

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, I picked this up from Central Market in Fort Worth while we were staying with a friend. The beer pours a crystal clear, orange-straw coloring with a foamy, airy, big bubbled head that leaves a great lacing along the glass. Heavy sweet aromas that muddle the hoppy characteristics in the nose. Some citrus highlights present in the smell, also. The beer has a smokey sweet flavor to start, with spicy, peppery, bitter roasted hops on the main palate. Some toasty and citrusy flavors blend the end flavors together very well. Good finish that subtly lingers with citrus and spice. Slgiht toasty aftertaste. Very tasty, despite slightly watered down initial flavors. This beer finished strong.

05-01-2011 01:59:51 | More by GarthDanielson