Stormcloud IPA - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Stormcloud IPAStormcloud IPA

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: beerdiablo on 03-11-2007)
2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Thanks to slimchill for the extra.

Poured into tulip. Clear and light orange with a hugh fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing. Looks the part.

Not much going on in the nose. Some grass and subtle citrus. Malt doesn't contribute much.

Taste follows the nose. Where did the hops go? Taste more like a weak pale ale. There's a generic bitterness with some subtle malt sweetness. The flavors aren't gross, there just not there.

Mouthfeel is very thin. Good carbonation.

Overall I was left wanting. With a low abv I guess you could call it a session IPA. This was my second beer from Rahr and Sons and so far I'm still looking for a winner.

chicano4craft, Oct 05, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at the Meddlesome Moth in Dallas, TX. They had a special rare tapping of a Stormcloud cask. Here's an interesting story, as I was holding up the beer to see its color in the light I noticed two weird-looking and sort of fuzzy little pieces of...something in the bottom of my glass. I immediately thought the glass had something in it, obviously, that wasn't supposed to be there so I had my waiter see it and get me a new one. I saw him talk to the owner and then the guy at the bar. When my waiter came back with a new Stormcloud he explained how they had just finished off the cask and the beer in it was dry-hopped so what were in my glass were little pieces of hops! Cool! I kind of wanted to have the other glass back and drink it! :P Anyway, now to review (and I'm not sure if they nitro-tapped it).

I received my Stormcloud with a nice two finger, creamy-bubbly, and off-white head that had some good retention in the glass and left plenty of lacing. The beer itself was an amber-copper color that was a bit hazy.

This dry-hopped version of the Stormcloud smelled fantastic. Extremely floral, very hoppy. Pine resin and a bit of mango were there and I think the overt hoppiness brought out a spiciness that tingled my nostrils a bit.

When I first started drinking the Stormcloud I found it to be much like most of Rahr's beers. They sacrifice flavor for drinkability. Now, I'm all fine with drinkability, especially when it's so damn hot in Texas, but I want my IPAs to have some kick to them. However, after I let it sit out a bit I enjoyed it more. The flavors came out more. There's a medium hoppiness and bitterness but the more I drank the more the taste lingered on the back of my tongue. There's a bit of mango/pineapple fruitiness and caramel sweetness. The pine resin has a presence throughout. Malts make a bit bready.

The mouthfeel isn't too impressive. Good carbonation and drinkability but it's simply too light-bodied for me. Pretty smooth throughout.

The look and smell of Stormcloud were excellent while the taste and mouthfeel let it down. It's too drinkable, too light, for an IPA in my opinion. Like most Rahr beers, it's a good one but it sacrifices flavor and body too much for drinkability.

BeardedRiker, Aug 04, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, I picked this up from Central Market in Fort Worth while we were staying with a friend. The beer pours a crystal clear, orange-straw coloring with a foamy, airy, big bubbled head that leaves a great lacing along the glass. Heavy sweet aromas that muddle the hoppy characteristics in the nose. Some citrus highlights present in the smell, also. The beer has a smokey sweet flavor to start, with spicy, peppery, bitter roasted hops on the main palate. Some toasty and citrusy flavors blend the end flavors together very well. Good finish that subtly lingers with citrus and spice. Slgiht toasty aftertaste. Very tasty, despite slightly watered down initial flavors. This beer finished strong.

GarthDanielson, May 01, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Bought a sixer at Specs in Round Rock...around 7 bucks.

Decent amber orange color...Head disappears quickly...leaves spotty lacing.

Is this really an IPA? I can't smell much of anything other than adjunct lager...maybe a slight hint of pine on a deep whiff. What up?

There's a hint of hops in the taste...but not much more...fairly average.

Wow...not a good IPA at all. If I ever see anyone in Texas giving this rave reviews, I'll know not to take them too seriously. This will be my last purchase ever of this mundane brew.

obrike, Apr 07, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks Mike for sending this my way!

A- This is one beautiful IPA- uniformly translucent light murky amber hue. Pours with a nice 1-2 finger soapy white head. This has perfect retention at 1 finger and leaves lacing behind all the way down the glass.

S- Nose is mild but pretty standard for an IPA. Herbal hops, pale malt, and a hint of citrus.

T- Taste is much milder and less exciting than the nose. Only pale malt and a hint of herbal hops upfront. The finish adds a mild touch of pine-but mostly pale malt sweetness, mild to moderate bitterness and hop resin.

M- Medium carbonation and light to medium weight moderately smooth body.

D- This isn't a very good IPA and its an "eh" brew overall. Glad I tried this-but wouldn't be reaching for it regularly in TX.

PittBeerGirl, Dec 22, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

12oz bottle received as an extra in a recent trade with mattisloco. Thanks! Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours a clear medium amber color with a thick finger of fluffy off-white foam with good retention. Some foamy lacing left on the glass as the beer disappears from the glass.

S - Not much for aroma overall and distinctly lacking in hops. The bottle calls this an IPA with a German influence (not exactly sure what that means, but apparently it at least means lower than typical hop levels. I'm getting some sugary sweetness, a touch of caramel, and some flowery and perfumey hops...rose petal-like.

T - Flavor resembles the aroma. Lower hop level although the bitterness is more assertive than the aroma would indicate. Hops are floral and earthy. Malt balances, adding some graininess, a bit of caramel and a small amount of sugar sweetness. Not bad tasting at all, but not exactly what I'd expect out of an IPA.

M - Body is mid-level with a medium carbonation too. Grainy and a bit metallic. Very tingly and leaves some tingle behind after the swallow.

D - A decent sessionable beer, but not exactly what I'd call an IPA...more of an amber ale in my opinion. I enjoyed this, but it isn't something that is going to wow you. I'd consider getting this again if I saw it in a store or at a pub, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

portia99, Dec 12, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is toffee with some grassy hops and some floral notes. The flavor is heavy on the floral hops and biscuit malt. I also get some grassy and earthy hops and some malt that makes the beer taste a bit like unsweet iced tea. Low bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Nov 29, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Sadly no dating info still (one of the reasons I stopped drinking Rahr was burned too many times on stale beer). It was an amber color with good carb streams. Also had a massive amount of floaters which makes me think it might be old but since they don't date their bottles who knows. Had a very small head that never even covered the whole surface. Settled to a very thin collar and a few stray wisps. Very slight lace that quickly settled back down.

The aroma was grassy hops, lemon grass and biscuity malt. Very subtle and not conjuring up IPA thoughts. Taste followed the aroma with grassy hops leading the way. Some bitterness. Very malty. Just not enjoying this one. Medium mouthfeel.

Overall, not a fan of this one. The hops just didn't come thru and the rest of the beer was just not very exciting. Avail here in TX obviously. Rotation - better IPA's out there so one is enough [N;N]

TexIndy, Oct 23, 2010
3.35/5  rDev 0%

12oz Bottle poured into a pint glass

A - A big rocky head that absolutely does not die. A bit cloudy with an orange-copper color. Looks great except for the cloudiness. Not sure if this is dry-hopped, bottle conditioned or just hazy. Doesn't mentioned being dry-hopped or bottle conditioned so I may have to knock off a point for that. Otherwise it looks really tasty

S - Both malt and hops come through. The hops and malt are distinct but more balanced than I expect from an IPA. A good amount of citrus in the hop aroma. Definitely American hops and it smells pretty tasty.

T - A medium hop flavor. Citrusy and a little piney but not overwhelming. A nice flavor that's refreshing but not all that complex.

M - Nice medium body and the head is almost like foamy cream in a cappuccino. I like it.

D - A decent beer.

SuperSpy, Oct 09, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

From a bottle to a pint glass...
Pours a cloudy amber color / dark orange, has a nice off white head had nice lacing.
Smells of sweet caramel malt and earthy hops.
Tastes of toasted bread, toffee, and piney hops with a hint of lemon.
Feels light and smooth, it's very balanced and solid, perfect for someone new to IPA's.

JMad, Sep 25, 2010

fresh bottle...
NOTHING on the nose. when I say nothing, I mean nothing.. IPA is supposed to have some hops on the nose. shove this under my face, blindfold me, and I dont know a beer is in front of me. it is THAT absent and lacking.

taste... well... kinda tastes like it smells. nothing. While I am excited that Rahr put out a beer that is over 5% (can tell because the label actually says Ale rather than beer) this is a real failure. I can see what they are trying to do here, make a beer that the mass oblivious texans would buy in place of the BMC products, but for someone that likes beer, dont buy it.

crusian, Sep 04, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Dry hop version from Flying Saucer.

Nose is bready with suggestions of vegital hops. Smells okay.

Pours very hazy amber orange with no head. Looks okay.

Nice depth of maltiness and bitterness over a suprisingly thin body. Rich roasted chocolate, complex breads, hints of rye almost, and a good bit of amber/crystal malt. Hops are more subtle than expected, kind of aged tasting - dry and bitter with mild flavor/aroma. Good bitterness, stiff enough for balance but refreshingly soft. Soft hop bite. Moderate dryness. Little carbonation. Finishes dry with just a kiss of hops. Tastes good. Feels pretty good. Pretty good drinkability.

MrHungryMonkey, Jul 10, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy light amber color with a one finger head that does the job and leaves some shards, too

Smell: Lemony/grassy hops waft above the clean, bready malt

Taste: There is an underlying biscuity sweetness that persists throughout, though the lemony/grassy hops really dominate from mid-palate onwards; after the swallow, there is a bit of sulfur that joins the other flavor elements

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not a bad beer, but I cannot say that the concept of a German IPA is a winner to my tastebuds

Thanks, wagenvolks, for the opportunity

brentk56, Apr 04, 2010

Thanks to Robert for sending this one as an extra in a recent trade.

A: The pour is a clear amber color with a moderate off-white head and some spotty lacing.

S: The nose is rather mild with some sweet orange notes as well as a bit of sugar and light malt.

T: The sweet, orangey sweetness is in the forefront with perhaps floral notes. Other than the rather "light" hoppiness, there are bready malt flavors and a touch of bitterness on the finish.

M: The body is medium with a somewhat low carbonation and bit of a "flat" mouthfeel.

D: This was not a very impressive example of an IPA. Lackluster flavors and aromas, and I wasn't a fan of the mouthfeel either.

womencantsail, Mar 25, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Stormcloud pours a nondescript, unassuming golden-copper hue with a scant wisp of taupe foam on top. The head quickly retreats to an inwardly-sloping ring of bubbles; no help from below, because there's no visible carbonation. Mild aroma--what little hops are present suggest mandarin orange and mango. Sweet notes of cane sugar and a biscuity presence from the malts back up a crisp mineral profile.

Very interesting, unique flavor for an American IPA. Cotton candy and vanilla bubble-gum provide a subtle, juicy-sweet canvas upon which a crispy, bitter hoppiness is painted. Lots of early addition hops, but if Stormcloud could have one major improvement, it would be to add some hops later in the boil to get more aroma and hop flavor. A raw, leafy lingering bitterness lasts long into the finish alongside tropical fruits from the yeast. Mouthfeel is smooth and pleasant, with a medium-light consistency and lighter carbonation level. All in all, a pleasant surprise from Rahr & Sons. It could stand some minor tweakage, but Stormcloud is a fairly solid IPA.

wagenvolks, Mar 08, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

pours a light yellow/gold with a finger of white head that disappears after a while and leaves no lacing.

smells pretty grainy and fairly syrupy.

taste: really its just a nice mellow balance of hops and grain as basic as that sounds. no big hop flavor or anything. it tastes really good but to me is not an ipa.

mouthfeel: smooth balance of the flavors in the mouth, goes down smooth, and leaves nothing behind but desire to have more.

drinkability: one of the most refreshing "ipas" ive ever had. i recommend this one out in the sun or for a long night of studying.

northaustin, Feb 05, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

appearance: was a light golden brown beer that has a good fizz and head

smell: had an intense smell of hops with hints of fruit also hidden in it

taste: surprisingly the taste wasn't as hoppy as the smell! can taste the fruit and has the unique bite that rahr beers seem to share

mouthfeel/drinkability: light in the mouth which made for a smooth finish

fjordhook, Jan 09, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +0.9%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear, ruddy copper with a creamy eggshell head that sticks well. There's a lot of suspended sediment in this one, strangely. Smells faintly of sweet amber malt and hints of slightly floral hop. Tastes of bready caramel malt and a more prominent hop character. Slightly piney with a dry finish. Medium body. Not the typical IPA, but still pleasant.

philipquarles, Jun 17, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Presentation: Poured from draft tap at the brewery into a Stormcloud IPA 20oz imperial pint glass.

A: Pours very little head, but the deep amber/orange color is awesome. Laces the glass fairly well too.

S: Smell is nice. No overpowering hop bitterness, but the hops are nice, clean, and refreshing. Good for the style, but pretty mild in comparison to other IPAs I'm familiar with. I don't mind it though and like it.

T: The hops are nice, but they're not quite enough to overpower the "signature Rahr malt bitterness" that seems to prevade the flavor profile of all their beers. There is some sweetness that comes through though which is nice.

M: Decently carbonated, decent weight and oily stickiness, but could use more of everything.

D: I had 2 of them and enjoyed them both. Could have had more so pretty high on the drinkability.

Rahr is not making world class beers, but being our only true brewery in the DFW area I enjoy going there regularly for some fresh beers and good atmosphere. I'm not sure I would seek this out to buy, but if Texas craft is what I was after it's not bad. I do enjoy the beers every time I go to the brewery and the atmosphere is always fun.

thirdeye11, May 03, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Bright gold coloring, slightly cloudy. Not much head at all.

S- Not too strong of a scent, but what you can smell is sweet and hoppy.

T- Very settle amount of hops in this beer. Has a very nice sweetness with a slightly dry finish.

M- Very smooth beer with a slightly dry finish. Medium body.

D- Extremely drinkable. Great session beer.

Overall an excellent IPA. Not too overpowering and very smooth. I highly recommend trying one if you can get your hands on it.

Bagman007, Jan 02, 2009

Almost no head formed on top of this beer. And once it was there, it vanished. The beer is surprisingly light on color. A bright yellow gold. A fair amount of visible carbonation is present. No lacing to be seen anywhere.

The aroma was actually terrible. Wet cardboard and sweet. Not a hop aroma to be detected.

So far, doesn't look like and IPA nor smells like one. Here goes...

Wow, I think we have an official worst, IPA I've had in quite some time. It tastes light, sweet and mineral like. The sweetness is way too much. There is a flat bitterness towards the end.

Mouth feel is light and watery. This is really a macro beer with a tiny bit more hops.

It reminds me of Busch.... Just a sweet mess.

This is really not an IPA by any stretch of the imagination. To say that this is supposed to be the same as Blind Pig or Smuttynose Finest Kind is a joke.

How did this score higher than their Ocktoberfest?

Reagan1984, Dec 23, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to Jackie for shipping this one out.

Poured a medium-gold with a pillowy off-white head, with good retention. Good clarity.

Floral hops, medium intensity. Prominent pilsner-malt character seems out of place for an American IPA. Would like more hop aroma and less pilsner.

Upfront floral hops, slight spiciness. Medium to medium-high level of bitterness. Clean malt character with pilsner flavor. Medium-dry finish with floral hoppiness lingering on. Hop flavor could be more intense, complex, and fresher.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, moderate to mid-high carbonation. Smooth.

Overall this is an American IPA that's missing out some some hop complexity and is a bit too focused on the pilsner malt. The bottle claims it as "German-style IPA" but that's not a class of beer I'm familiar with. I would not order a second.

BrewerB, Dec 22, 2008
3.35/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer only poured to about a one finger head. The color was a pale straw that was kind of a surprise because I figured something called Stormcloud would be darker.

Is this an IPA? I have been on an IPA kick lately and was surprised when I got a flowery smell, but did not get a good bold hops. I was a little bit disappointed.

The taste was not very complex. It was very crisp, but I was expecting a little bit of a hop taste. I didn't get much at all. I am not trying to say that it didn't taste good, just not much like an IPA. I did get a slight bitter aftertaste after a couple of drinks.

All in all, an average beer. I have had worse, but plenty that are better. I could drink a sixer if I bought it, but I am not going out of my way to get it.

rgrholmes168, Nov 21, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)
thanks to mhewes for this brew
A- This beer pours a warm bright yellow crystal clear body with a good strong sea of tiny bubbles and a meringues of off-white head that last a good while.

S- The dry crisp hop aroma has a light sulfur note to it with a green lemon quality. There is a light dry buttered corn note that comes through as the beer warms.

T- The light dry pale malt flavor leads into a lightly pungent hop note with a light bitter noble hop finish. The bitterness lingers only for a split second.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tight clean fizz finish.

D- The Noble hops and sulfur hints and some interesting touches to this IPA but it was really light in flavor and aroma with not much depth.

rhoadsrage, Jul 29, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

Slightly more orange than amber with lemon peel borders. The good-sized crown is ivory in color and has a firmly creamy texture. It's becoming softly rocky as it melts... and is taking it's sweet time doing so. A pleasing array of lace leads me to be (probably too) generous with the appearance score.

Rahr & Sons refers to this beer as a German IPA because it uses all German ingredients. Hoppy beer is great, but they'll have to prove to me that this is a good idea. The nose is less than IPA-like when it comes to the hop load. It smells like pale malt (no toast), musky fruit skins and a modest amount of Tettnang... or one of its friends. Underwhelming.

The one and only thing about Stormcloud IPA that is the least bit IPA-like is the amount of bitterness. I get the sense, however, that it's due to a lack of supporting malt more than an abundance of little green cones. Good hop flavor is in relatively short supply. This isn't bad beer by any means, but it's no IPA.

An above average flavor score is tempting because my tongue is squirming in delight at all the alpha acids. This must be a relatively fresh bottle (thanks mhewes), which is why the shortage of hop flavor is so curious. To be fair, the grassy-floral-herbal spiciness of the Euro hops is becoming more pronounced as the beer gains a few degrees.

Although less than IPA-like, the mouthfeel isn't bad at all. Sure, it could use more heft, but it drinks easily enough, as long as a slight tongue sizzle doesn't rub you the wrong way. The additional energy is a positive as far as I'm concerned.

It appears that Fort Worth's Rahr & Sons Brewing Company brews solid, drinkable beer that falls short of being considered impressive beer. I applaud them for thinking outside the box and for not releasing yet another C-hopped American IPA. Trouble is, I love C-hopped American IPAs. Bottom line: the bitterness is the silver lining in this Stormcloud.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 15, 2008