Oktoberfest - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Beer added by: TexIndy on 08-16-2007

to view more.
Ratings: 137 | Reviews: 41
2.8/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

BOTTLE: The label is suspect, simultaneously calling this a lager and an ale. Blame the TABC? Brown glass. Branded pry-off cap. 12 fl oz.

Expectations are average given the brewery. Served cold into a pilsner glass at low altitude in Austin, TX. Reviewed live as a Marzen per the label. 7% ABV.

Paired with pretzels.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2 fingers wide. Off-white colour. Even consistency. Decent fullness, thickness, and softness. Retention is nice - ~6 minutes. Light lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Deep amber with copper hues. Shockingly, there's visible yeast suspended within, and this lacks the cleanliness usually associated with the style.

Appears well-carbonated. It's darker than most beers in the style and I'd definitely call it unconventional, but it's not unappealing. Still, I'm suspicious; if there's a brewery I trust to depart from style conventions and succeed gloriously, it isn't Rahr & Sons.

AROMA: Sweet and bready, with plenty of Munich and Vienna malt sweetness, as well as some overly sweet Caramunich. It's toasty and surprisingly caramel-emphatic. It's hard to imagine swilling down a litre of this from a masskrug based on the aroma. Suggests a Marzen which is far too full-bodied and sweet for mass consumption - and in the case of this style in particular, mass consumption is exactly the point. It even veers a bit into winter warmer or amber territory. I can't say I'm thrilled to try it, but it's not off-putting, and outside of style conventions I'd even say it's generally appealing. Frankly, it has the aroma of a well-executed amber lager.

No overt hop profile, yeast character, off-notes, or alcohol is/are detectable.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Definitely too sweet, with Caramunich, Vienna malt, and caramalt dominating the malt profile where Munich malts and pilsner malts should. It's too heavy and thick on the palate, with an inflated full body that is mismatched to the shallow flavours present. Toasty and malty as hell. There's a minimal hop presence, which is apt for the style, but the yeast attenuation isn't quite as clean (i.e. high) as it should be. It doesn't scream German per se, and I have to wonder if they experimented with an atypical yeast strain.

It's generally balanced, but is far from dialed in for the style. Again, this drinks like a well-executed amber lager, not a festbier. Depth, duration, and intensity of flavour are average. I do like it for what it is, but I definitely can't see myself taking on a litre or more of this at a German beer festival - which means it fundamentally fails in its purported style. Taking it outside of style conventions, it's an approachable brew that suffers from overcarbonation. Unrefreshing.

The texture isn't quite in harmony with the taste, but it doesn't sabotage it. There's ample room for improvement.

The build as a whole has fair cohesion, but never drinks like a gestalt whole which exceeds the sum of its parts. This is a decently constructed brew which leans a bit too hard on its breadiness to really satisfy Marzen conventions.

OVERALL: The discerning drinker may scoff at it when it's taken as a festbier, but outside of style conventions it's not a bad brew by any means. Still, at best it's average. At this price point, I can't recommend it. Pretty pedestrian stuff from Rahr & Sons any way you slice it, but not undrinkable. I'll finish my glass and will soon forget it, but to its credit, it does a nice job of hiding its 7% ABV. On a final note, those familiar with Rahr & Sons' other offerings will be unsurprised by its (lack of) quality. This definitely fits into the rest of their oeuvre - if you'll forgive the pretension implicit in that phrasing.

C (2.8)

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Dark amber color. On tap in a cold glass.

S: Not much as the temperature is very cold.

T: Earthy hops, grain and malt, zest. Not much else, but a nice beer, honestly.

M: Medium dry. Not too light.

O: Nice layed back beer. Liked it overall.

Its a nice clean taste to the beer that doesn't linger like a heavier beer would very little after taste at all very smooth. beautiful dark amber color. I would buy again

3.24/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass

L: clear amber, almost red; minimal offwhite/beige head, about 1/4-inch tall, no lace or stick and very thin collar -- beer has mostly flat look, very few bubbles in it

S: sour grain; some malt sweetness, toasted malt -- almost Vienna lager-like

T: dirt hops ... very earthy, like a fuggles or English hop sandwich, just bitter with no discernible taste -- sounds bad but it works well bouncing off a solid amount of sweetish malt; some sour grain; over time begins to take on a medicinality

F: good carbonation for so flat-looking a brew ... relatively crisp and light

O: has some nice early notes, mainly from the toasted malt taste and smell, but it turns into a mostly medicinal-tasting bitter mash of sour grain and rubbing alcohol. decent start fizzles into a beer not worth trying again ... frankly, like every other American Octoberfest I've tried. call this one the last for me

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%

12oz Brown bottle with pry-off cap and no freshness date. Poured into a stange glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep amber with 1/2 finger of head

Smell: Caramel and bready malts

Taste: Similar to the aroma with with caramel and toffee notes and a clean finish

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation without being too thin

Overall: A good solid representation of the style. There isn't much wrong but nothing ground-breaking. Features a slightly higher than normal ABV for the style so maybe that can be a selling point for some.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The Oktoberfest pours a dark amber with a nice tan head and all the trademark sweet malt aromas of the style. The taste is a good sweet maltiness with a slight hop and even a bit of Chocolate. For a darker beer it was light on the palate and very clean and drinkable. The Rahr & Sons Oktoberfest was a great Texas Oktoberfest.

2.89/5  rDev -15.7%

A standard pour of Rahr & Sons' Oktoberfest yields a dark amber body with lovely reddish highlights and a small, fizzy beige head. The 1/2-inch cap falls quickly and disappears without a trace. A few sheets of tiny bubbles move lazily towards the surface. I don't expect a giant head on a Märzen, in which head-making hops are understated, but quality of this foam leads me to make two predictions: 1) want of hops will render the brew too sweet; 2) the mouthfeel won't do justice to the rich flavors that typify the style.

The nose isn't appealing at first: a strange, smoky smell and copper. A few swirls around the glass and repeated sniffs toss up a bit of more-toasted-than-usual toffee.

The taste is more interesting than the nose. The metallic flavors are ever present, but are subdued by some sweet malty flavors. Bittering hops are pronounced. I taste toffee, slightly-more-than-toasted butter cookies, and candied bitter melon. Then there's that nagging smokey flavor... hmm...

The beer is full on the palate, but even at warmer temperatures, foam is wanting.

I liked Rahr & Sons' Oktoberfest more than I thought I would. Still, there are much better versions from both sides of the Atlantic. I won't drink this one next year.

4.08/5  rDev +19%

Bottle poured into a regular pint glass

This is a really good Oktoberfest beer.

A bit less bitter than the Shiner and Karbach styles I've recently had. About the same smoothness as the Saint Arnold.

Really good carbonation.. just right. Great taste. I'd buy a six pack of this over many others.

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very brilliant amber color, which shines in the light. Little foam. Very sweet malty nose, and loads of esthers. Quite buttery malty taste, and a lot of caramel in the mix. Sweet finish, with just a nutty hint of hop at the end. Very good,.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

If you said this was a pumpkin beer I'd believe you, it's that sweet and malty.

Clear and reddish orange in the glass. Quite a carrot-top color. Head and retention are nothing to brag about, and the carbonation is just average. Almost an oily mouthfeel. Rather tangy with some green apple flavor. The maltiness is quite distinctive with some burnt caramel. A touch of earthy hops I"m not so crazy about.

A stronger, more flavorful, and pretty weird sort of Oktoberfest, but quite drinkable. From the 12 oz bottle bought at H and H Beverage in Abilene.

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%

It's a clear, dark amber with a nice head.

It smells extremely malty. There's a hint of what smells like isopropyl alcohol, and it's unsettling.

It also tastes malty. The different notes hit you for a few seconds straight.

It runs over my mouth like a wave. This beer gooey, but great. It isn't the typical ideal mouthfeel that I look for. I think it's in a whole other category.

Overall, this is both one of my favorite October fest beers and one of my favorite dark beers.
Actually, I'm not really sure why it's an Octoberfest at all. If you threw some coffee in it you'd have a great beer in a totally different kind of way.

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

A: The beer pours a nice amber color with a thick tan head.

S: The beer has some coffee, malt and some

T: The taste wasnt as strong as I was hoping. It has some sweet maltyness and some caramel, but not really much else.

M: The beer mouthfeel isnt anything special. I drink it and just feel like I am missing out on something.

O: This a decent average Oktoberfest beer, but nothing to go out of the way to get.

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%

I drank this at a BBQ in Texas. Poured this in a large mug.

It poured an amber color with a light tan head.

S: not very strong, some malt aromas - nothing to outlandish.

T: Not bad. It seemed like a typical Oktoberfest beer. Some sweet malt flavors.

Overall: For the price, $8.00/six-er, this was a fairly solid Oktoberfest beer. It didn't knock me over with taste, but I found it to be very enjoyable.

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I drank this from a pint glass...

Pours an amber color with burnt orange hues, the head is tall, foamy and lofty with a tan color. It smells of roasted malt with surprising coffee and milk chocolate with earthy hop undertones. The beer has an herbal hop bitterness, with roasted malt being the dominant flavor, there are also hints of coffee and caramel. It has a medium body with moderate carbonation and a nice dry finish. This Oktoberfest was unique compared to others, in my opinion it tastes more like a brown ale, still good though.

2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

Served in a standard pint glass. Has a below average tan head that doesn't stick around long and doesn't leave any lacing to speak of. Appears a brown color with some haziness.

Nose is full of coffee and other malts. Just not what you expect from a Marzen. Some sweetness from the caramel malts. Taste is very similar. All sweet, no balancing factors. Just not right for a Marzen. The flavors were decent, but just doesn't fit into the style.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied. Too thick and heavy when going down, again, just not quite right. Overall, a decent brew, but nothing above average. Got stuck drinking this all of last week because it was the best they had to offer where I was staying. Don't seek it out..

Appearance: Cloudy, deep amber in color, with a large, persistent, off-white head, thin, broken lace.

Aroma: Earthy notes, and toasted malt, with a slight herbal hop presence.

Taste: Opens with strong toasted malts, mild caramel and toffee, lots of bread and nut malt, solid malty notes throughout the taste. Finishes with a wave to toasted bread flavors.

Mouth feel: Pleasant and full body, no carbonation sting.

Drinkability/notes: A very solid example, quite representative of the style.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pop-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

My first Oktoberfest beer of the season. I like the new Rahr label design. A little hokey, but in a classic Norman Rockwell sorta way.

The Rahr Oktoberfest is one of the prettiest beers I've seen in a while. Beautiful hues of oranges and reds remind me of autumnal leaves changing color (not here in south Texas, mind you, but in places where leaves actually change colors). Nice thick head with some lace. The nose is dense and malty, as a good festbier should be. The yeast aroma kinda reminds me of Shiner Bock, but in a good way. Earthy and sweet. Taste follows suit, delivering plum flavors with muted apple and pear. Malty sweetness but dry enough to cut through anything that lingers too long. Mouthfeel has a medium body feel to it; firm but not austere.

A fine effort by the folks at Rahr and Sons. Maybe not the best example of the style I've ever had, but a pretty good beer nonetheless. I wouldn't reject the idea of revisiting this beer in the future either.

4.85/5  rDev +41.4%

Oktoberfest's are my absolute favorite brews, this time of year is better than Christmas for me. And this years batch of Oktoberfest is the best Rahr has done. I still prefer Hoffbrau's Oktoberfest (If I am completely honest) but I still love this batch. Great taste, great feel, and all around good brew. A must have for the beer lover.

2.91/5  rDev -15.2%

First had: ? (I believe on tap at Casey's, Newtown Square, PA)

Poured a clear bronze color with a short-lived white head. Pretty basic aroma and taste, with mild, toasty malts going on and not too much else. Not terrible, but pretty bland and uninteresting. Medium mouthfeel, can seem a little watery at times, but still somewhat drinkable if you're not feeling too adventurous.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a clear copper red color. A one finger white head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, some sweet caramel/toffee aromas. Nothing else.
T: Again, sweet malty flavors that are pretty generic. Caramel, maybe toffee depending on how you decipher if. Nothing else. Fairly bland and neutral.
M/D: A light to medium body. Fairly smooth. Not hard to drink, just nothing I really care to have a lot of.

Overall just bland, neutral, and inoffensive. Nothing I would recommend, but nothing to offensive either. Pretty much the definition of average.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is actually fairly nice, with some caramel and toffee notes. The flavor is not too great. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just very bland. I get some toffee and bready malt, but that is about it. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

I had heard the beers from Rahr's were better after they renovated their brewery, but this is the same, bland beer that they have always brewed.

1.43/5  rDev -58.3%

A - Its a sad thing when the best part of a beer its appearance, poured a dark copper color with an off white head that fades in the blink of an eye.

S - I can't completely bash its smell as it does smell theres some malt scents but not what I look for in a Marzen

T - I don't taste anything that would make me say this bottle is infected but I'm not tasting anything good here either

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - Unless you like dirty mop water stay the hell away from this one the rest of this pint is bound for the drain avoid this beer

2.59/5  rDev -24.5%

I tried several local Oktoberfests while down in Dallas recently and this was one of them...

Pours a dull brown and has pretty much zip for carbonation... Ok, a little foam tries to rise up but that quickly disappears, leaving a murky liquid behind... Not what I was hoping for here...

Well, the sweet biscuity malts make up for the bad appearance... They bring a respectability back to this.. Pretty decent for the style...

Well, this is a big disappointment....this is watery and bland with a touch of sweet malts but there's also this buttery oily finish that really has me struggling with this one....this is the weakest of the locals by far..

Well, I got to try a brew that I never would have had a chance to try otherwise but in this case, that's not a good thing...

1.95/5  rDev -43.1%

Rahr you got me again! I used to buy the blonde lager quite a bit when it was $6.99 and at that price accept the occasional flat or sour bottle. Now that Rahr beers are priced in line with Great Divide, Sierra Nevada and others I don't take the chance however I saw the Oktoberfest and being a sucker for something new picked it up.

The description on the bottle says a large fluffy head - I was greeted with a dismal off-white scum, kind of like what you see lapping at the edges of Lake Lewisville. The beer itself was murky and uninspired. A marzen lager should snap and this just squatted listlessly in my glass. The taste was faintly malty with a touch of sweetness but I was distracted by an overriding watery mouthfeel.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle tried 20 Oct 2008.

Poured in a 0.4 L glass stein. Large tight yellow head. Well carbonated. Clear deep red-auburn color. Caramel, malt, almonds and a little ethanol in the aroma. Sweet and malty with some caramel and buttersotch to start. Toasty sweet nuttiness, almonds, pecans. Finishes with a bit of cinnamon spiciness. Medium body.

Not my favorite oktoberfest but decent.

Got this at the FW CM when Rahr was there giving samples so I presume this was a good batch. I've not run across a spoiled batch myself but I also don't frequently purchase Rahr because they seem to consistently run $2-3 more per six than other locals (the ofest was $9.75 per six when I bought it).

to view more.