Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Oktoberfest - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TexIndy on 08-16-2007

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.85/5  rDev +52.5%

Oktoberfest's are my absolute favorite brews, this time of year is better than Christmas for me. And this years batch of Oktoberfest is the best Rahr has done. I still prefer Hoffbrau's Oktoberfest (If I am completely honest) but I still love this batch. Great taste, great feel, and all around good brew. A must have for the beer lover.

4.24/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Just out in stores, this beer pours out a lovely reddish-amber color with a small initial head that unfortunately fades a bit too quickly, leaving not the slightest hint of foam on top. The aroma, though, is nearly perfect for an oktoberfest! Too many American versions tend to sweet caramel and nothing else. This version is nicely toasty, with crusty bread-like melanoidins; it's got a complex and interesting malt profile. Deliciously tasty too, with all the emphasis on the malt. Nutty malt with a lightly toasted aspect, sweet but not cloying, with a clean finish. No hop flavor to speak of, but that's not a loss for the style. The body seems a bit flat and watery, the only disappointing aspect of the beer.

An solid interpretation of the style. Well done!

4.21/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A pretty decent Oktoberfest beer that improves as it warms up.

Quite attractive dark amber color with a short-ish tan head.

Very nice and malty, fresh and rich. Quite satisfying. Very well-balanced. It reminds me a dark german bread.

Very smooth mouth feel. The aroma was a bit weak. It just needed a little more of something to me.

Definitely do not drink this beer cold. It is much, much better at something approaching cellar temperature. Much more complex than it appeared on first sip.

Also I should note that this beer is not a good value. It is quite tasty but for the price, I would go with Paulaner Oktoberfest instead. $9+ a sixer is way too much.

4.08/5  rDev +28.3%

Bottle poured into a regular pint glass

This is a really good Oktoberfest beer.

A bit less bitter than the Shiner and Karbach styles I've recently had. About the same smoothness as the Saint Arnold.

Really good carbonation.. just right. Great taste. I'd buy a six pack of this over many others.

Appearance: Cloudy, deep amber in color, with a large, persistent, off-white head, thin, broken lace.

Aroma: Earthy notes, and toasted malt, with a slight herbal hop presence.

Taste: Opens with strong toasted malts, mild caramel and toffee, lots of bread and nut malt, solid malty notes throughout the taste. Finishes with a wave to toasted bread flavors.

Mouth feel: Pleasant and full body, no carbonation sting.

Drinkability/notes: A very solid example, quite representative of the style.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pop-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Its a nice clean taste to the beer that doesn't linger like a heavier beer would very little after taste at all very smooth. beautiful dark amber color. I would buy again

3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

My first Oktoberfest beer of the season. I like the new Rahr label design. A little hokey, but in a classic Norman Rockwell sorta way.

The Rahr Oktoberfest is one of the prettiest beers I've seen in a while. Beautiful hues of oranges and reds remind me of autumnal leaves changing color (not here in south Texas, mind you, but in places where leaves actually change colors). Nice thick head with some lace. The nose is dense and malty, as a good festbier should be. The yeast aroma kinda reminds me of Shiner Bock, but in a good way. Earthy and sweet. Taste follows suit, delivering plum flavors with muted apple and pear. Malty sweetness but dry enough to cut through anything that lingers too long. Mouthfeel has a medium body feel to it; firm but not austere.

A fine effort by the folks at Rahr and Sons. Maybe not the best example of the style I've ever had, but a pretty good beer nonetheless. I wouldn't reject the idea of revisiting this beer in the future either.

3.77/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very brilliant amber color, which shines in the light. Little foam. Very sweet malty nose, and loads of esthers. Quite buttery malty taste, and a lot of caramel in the mix. Sweet finish, with just a nutty hint of hop at the end. Very good,.

3.76/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I drank this from a pint glass...

Pours an amber color with burnt orange hues, the head is tall, foamy and lofty with a tan color. It smells of roasted malt with surprising coffee and milk chocolate with earthy hop undertones. The beer has an herbal hop bitterness, with roasted malt being the dominant flavor, there are also hints of coffee and caramel. It has a medium body with moderate carbonation and a nice dry finish. This Oktoberfest was unique compared to others, in my opinion it tastes more like a brown ale, still good though.

3.71/5  rDev +16.7%

I drank this at a BBQ in Texas. Poured this in a large mug.

It poured an amber color with a light tan head.

S: not very strong, some malt aromas - nothing to outlandish.

T: Not bad. It seemed like a typical Oktoberfest beer. Some sweet malt flavors.

Overall: For the price, $8.00/six-er, this was a fairly solid Oktoberfest beer. It didn't knock me over with taste, but I found it to be very enjoyable.

3.71/5  rDev +16.7%

12oz Brown bottle with pry-off cap and no freshness date. Poured into a stange glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep amber with 1/2 finger of head

Smell: Caramel and bready malts

Taste: Similar to the aroma with with caramel and toffee notes and a clean finish

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation without being too thin

Overall: A good solid representation of the style. There isn't much wrong but nothing ground-breaking. Features a slightly higher than normal ABV for the style so maybe that can be a selling point for some.

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

Served at the Ginger Man in Ft. Worth

Aroma: Mild malt edge, some yeast notes (hard in a bar)

Appearance: Good clarity, dark amber glass with a tan head falls to a thin collar but lasts without lacing.

Flavor: Malty, toasted, close to balanced with malt winning the day and keeping any real hop flavor down. Slight purple grape in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lightish body, a touch thin

Overall Impression: Easy drinking, great malt character, head retention and body could use a tweak. Good beer, liked it!

3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

If you said this was a pumpkin beer I'd believe you, it's that sweet and malty.

Clear and reddish orange in the glass. Quite a carrot-top color. Head and retention are nothing to brag about, and the carbonation is just average. Almost an oily mouthfeel. Rather tangy with some green apple flavor. The maltiness is quite distinctive with some burnt caramel. A touch of earthy hops I"m not so crazy about.

A stronger, more flavorful, and pretty weird sort of Oktoberfest, but quite drinkable. From the 12 oz bottle bought at H and H Beverage in Abilene.

3.62/5  rDev +13.8%

It's a clear, dark amber with a nice head.

It smells extremely malty. There's a hint of what smells like isopropyl alcohol, and it's unsettling.

It also tastes malty. The different notes hit you for a few seconds straight.

It runs over my mouth like a wave. This beer gooey, but great. It isn't the typical ideal mouthfeel that I look for. I think it's in a whole other category.

Overall, this is both one of my favorite October fest beers and one of my favorite dark beers.
Actually, I'm not really sure why it's an Octoberfest at all. If you threw some coffee in it you'd have a great beer in a totally different kind of way.

3.39/5  rDev +6.6%

The beer is a reddish copper with no head at all. It smells of burnt caramel, oranges and pepper. At this point, I am intrigued. The taste is mild malt, some dryness, and a slight spice. It is interesting but maltier and somehow simpler than the style examples I've had before. Mouthfeel is slick, light, and nicely carbonated. This is a pretty drinkable beer, with a good balance of the malt & hop flavors. This is a good beer but definitely not an exceptional one. I prefer the Ugly Pug and definitely prefer their Pecker Wrecker & Bucking Bock. Still, a welcome, rare Oktoberfest offering from a US brewery.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle tried 20 Oct 2008.

Poured in a 0.4 L glass stein. Large tight yellow head. Well carbonated. Clear deep red-auburn color. Caramel, malt, almonds and a little ethanol in the aroma. Sweet and malty with some caramel and buttersotch to start. Toasty sweet nuttiness, almonds, pecans. Finishes with a bit of cinnamon spiciness. Medium body.

Not my favorite oktoberfest but decent.

Got this at the FW CM when Rahr was there giving samples so I presume this was a good batch. I've not run across a spoiled batch myself but I also don't frequently purchase Rahr because they seem to consistently run $2-3 more per six than other locals (the ofest was $9.75 per six when I bought it).

3.37/5  rDev +6%

Pours a delicious looking beer-bottle brown with red highlights around the edges. Turns a little redder in stronger light. Limited head with no retention and pretty much no lacing. Lots of carbonation. Good color, but the lack of foam hurts.

All chocolate and caramel. A little toasty. A nice smell. With much agitation, some hoppy (spicy, piney) notes just peek through.

It's like dipping your tongue in carbonated liquid chocolate. Some toasty caramelized notes come through here and there too. A good taste, but nothing to write home about.

Fairly light on the palate. Good crisp carbonation prickle. Actually reminds a little bit of Rahr's Ugly Pug, which I find quite tasty. It's lighter though. Mostly sweet. Just a little bitter bite here and there.

Tasty. I won't have trouble finishing my sixer. But I have to think there are better Marzen/Oktoberfest brews out there (I haven't tried too many myself).

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

Had a few of these at the brewery last night. Medium dark amber color poured with almost no head but good lacing. Very clear.

Nothing too special or strong on the smell.

Tastes like a standard oktoberfest beer with a mild malty flavor and a bit of caramel. Very slight bitter aftertaste.

A little bit thicker than others but smooth and dry.

Pretty nice beer to drink I had three. Not sure the ABV but must be decent as I could feel it pretty good by the last one. Overall not a bad beer at all.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The Oktoberfest pours a dark amber with a nice tan head and all the trademark sweet malt aromas of the style. The taste is a good sweet maltiness with a slight hop and even a bit of Chocolate. For a darker beer it was light on the palate and very clean and drinkable. The Rahr & Sons Oktoberfest was a great Texas Oktoberfest.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Dark amber color. On tap in a cold glass.

S: Not much as the temperature is very cold.

T: Earthy hops, grain and malt, zest. Not much else, but a nice beer, honestly.

M: Medium dry. Not too light.

O: Nice layed back beer. Liked it overall.

3.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass

L: clear amber, almost red; minimal offwhite/beige head, about 1/4-inch tall, no lace or stick and very thin collar -- beer has mostly flat look, very few bubbles in it

S: sour grain; some malt sweetness, toasted malt -- almost Vienna lager-like

T: dirt hops ... very earthy, like a fuggles or English hop sandwich, just bitter with no discernible taste -- sounds bad but it works well bouncing off a solid amount of sweetish malt; some sour grain; over time begins to take on a medicinality

F: good carbonation for so flat-looking a brew ... relatively crisp and light

O: has some nice earthy notes, mainly from the toasted malt taste and smell, but it turns into a mostly medicinal-tasting bitter mash of sour grain and rubbing alcohol. decent start fizzles into a beer not worth trying again ... frankly, like every other American Octoberfest I've tried. call this one the last for me

2015 REVISION NOTE: got some relatively fresh 2015 Rahr's Oktoberfest on Sept. 6, 2015, and it's fantastic ... good earthy hops mixed with a ton of toasted sweet malt flavor, Vienna lager-like; as I work through the six-pack, I'll revise my original numbers accordingly, something I don't do often but this one may deserve it (original numbers 3.75/3.5/3/3.75/3=3.24)

3.22/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured with a foamy tan head that had large bubbles and faded fairly quickly. The beer had excellent clarity and was a deep amber with some orange highlights. No lacing to be found. Some visible carbonation.

Aroma was all malt, some sweetness and a bit like crusty bread. Almost that spice cinnamon note that I detect at times.

Flavor is fine. Not too deep. Some roasted malt, followed by a bread like or cracker flavor. Not much sweetness. A bit dry. At moments I got a metallic flavor. Faded towards the end. Not very complex.

Mouth feel was kind of light and the carbonation was a bit bright. Drinkable, but not very exciting.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

A: The beer pours a nice amber color with a thick tan head.

S: The beer has some coffee, malt and some

T: The taste wasnt as strong as I was hoping. It has some sweet maltyness and some caramel, but not really much else.

M: The beer mouthfeel isnt anything special. I drink it and just feel like I am missing out on something.

O: This a decent average Oktoberfest beer, but nothing to go out of the way to get.

3.12/5  rDev -1.9%

I'm here in Fort Worth, and I definitely want to support my local brewery, but man, I wish they'd come to the table with some higher quality beer. I shall explain. This one has all the markings of an Oktoberfest, one can see what they are going for, but it's just not quite happening. I kept thinking to myself that it wasn't quite as good as Saint Arnold's Oktoberfest. Rahr's has a pleasant aroma with some good malty notes, almost no head retention or lacing, and a bit of a bite in the finish that wasn't to my liking. Keep on trying, Rahr, I'm still hanging with ya.

3.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured this out of a 12 oz bottle. The bottle has a nice drawing of a German Oktoberfest and a quick description of "OZapft is", (the keg is tapped) on the side.

The beer poured a I got a decent one finger head, but it quickly disappated and there was no lace left on the side of the glass. Within minutes there wasn't even any foam left.

The smell reminded me of orange and I checked to see if the beer listed orange peel, but did not see it listed.

The has a slightly bitter taste, but it goes down very smooth. I get a decent balanced beer with a light bit of cascade hops.

Not a bad offering if you consider that it is from my hometown brewery of Rahr and Sons. The place is definitely hit or miss.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast