Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Oktoberfest - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TexIndy on 08-16-2007

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.43/5  rDev -54.5%

A - Its a sad thing when the best part of a beer its appearance, poured a dark copper color with an off white head that fades in the blink of an eye.

S - I can't completely bash its smell as it does smell theres some malt scents but not what I look for in a Marzen

T - I don't taste anything that would make me say this bottle is infected but I'm not tasting anything good here either

M - This beer has a thin watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - Unless you like dirty mop water stay the hell away from this one the rest of this pint is bound for the drain avoid this beer (586 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -50.3%

Rich maroon pour with a slight bit of cloudiness and a beige head. More importantly though, it smelled and tasted spoiled but it was bought almost immediately after being released... Musty, thick tart malt smell. Very sour, lemony, spoiled taste. Not good. bland and almost rotten tasting. I literally couldn't take a 4th sip for the rating even, and cringed as I brought it to my mouth. I'd say it was an old bottle, but I know it was fresh within a few days of being released... (480 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -48.1%

Got from Lone Star after the brewery/distributor had replaced the bad batch that got shipped there so this one is factory fresh. Poured from a 12oz bottle (no date) into a pint glass. It was an orangish amber color with a ton of little yeast bits floating in it. Lots of carb. No lacing. It had a small beige head that quickly fizzled to nothing.

The aroma was very weak. A bit of caramel malt and just a bit of hops but that faded very soon after pouring. Not very appetizing. The taste was also very bland and what was there was off. Had a slightly bitter taste and none of the sweetness you usually find in a Marzen. Also had a very weird aftertaste. Can't pin it down but makes you dread the next drink and kills the mouthfeel.

Overall, a terrible beer - avoid. This supposed to be the fresh batch but sure tastes off to me. Not sure what the problem with Rahr is but over half of the beers I get from them are spoiled. When they are on the make a couple really good beers like the hefe but when they are off they are bad. And unfortunately they are off more than they are on. I want to support them since local but tired of spending good money on spoiled beer. They need better quality control, dates on the labels and non twist off caps. (1,246 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -37.9%

Rahr you got me again! I used to buy the blonde lager quite a bit when it was $6.99 and at that price accept the occasional flat or sour bottle. Now that Rahr beers are priced in line with Great Divide, Sierra Nevada and others I don't take the chance however I saw the Oktoberfest and being a sucker for something new picked it up.

The description on the bottle says a large fluffy head - I was greeted with a dismal off-white scum, kind of like what you see lapping at the edges of Lake Lewisville. The beer itself was murky and uninspired. A marzen lager should snap and this just squatted listlessly in my glass. The taste was faintly malty with a touch of sweetness but I was distracted by an overriding watery mouthfeel. (727 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -37.3%

thanks stu! .. some head on pour but dies to nothing ... smells of a rusty caramel can .. sour, metallic maybe some traces of caramel ... got this right from the distributor so i know it was fresh, but tastes spoiled ... ANOTHER IN A LONG LINE OF DISAPPOINTMENTS from the lower end of texas brewers! .. i don't get it, Bitter End burns down, but these guys stay open!! (368 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -33.4%

Bottle courtesy of ChoqlitStout - thanks!! Poured into a tasting glass.

Appearance: Pours a really dark (for the style) with a fast-fading slightly off-white head. Lacing is almost nonexistent.

Aroma: Initially, pretty harsh and foul, but it mellows out after a while. Still, sort of tart, milky, off, with funky fruity notes, like lemon, and some pale, faint, roasted grains. Husky.

Taste: Similar to the nose, but way more tart - lemon, funky sour notes, roasted grains, husky. Not pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy, overly carbonated, uneven, a little thin.

Drinkability: Not a fan of this one. The bottle may have been bad, but it was, both stylistically and generally, not a pleasant beer to consume. Gotta work on the malt profile, as well as the quality control here. Not recommended. (792 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -29%

Pours out like a dark, raspberry flavored iced tea with a tiny head that fizzles quickly into nothing. Smell has some nuttiness from the malts and a brown sugar aspect to it, but this is all drowned out by a harsh graininess and a weird butter/rubber band medley that I can't put my finger on. This odd characteristic comes out right at the gates in the flavor accompanied by heavy toast and even a bit of roasted malt flavor, it seems. The graininess shows up in the middle along with that weird rubber thing (which stuck around all this time). Finishes sticky sweet with a touch of marshmallow flavor. Mouthfeel is awfully light and prickly with a stickiness that follows each sip. Not impressed at all. I was really hoping for a good local O-fest. (750 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

Served in a standard pint glass. Has a below average tan head that doesn't stick around long and doesn't leave any lacing to speak of. Appears a brown color with some haziness.

Nose is full of coffee and other malts. Just not what you expect from a Marzen. Some sweetness from the caramel malts. Taste is very similar. All sweet, no balancing factors. Just not right for a Marzen. The flavors were decent, but just doesn't fit into the style.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied. Too thick and heavy when going down, again, just not quite right. Overall, a decent brew, but nothing above average. Got stuck drinking this all of last week because it was the best they had to offer where I was staying. Don't seek it out.. (723 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -17.5%

I tried several local Oktoberfests while down in Dallas recently and this was one of them...

Pours a dull brown and has pretty much zip for carbonation... Ok, a little foam tries to rise up but that quickly disappears, leaving a murky liquid behind... Not what I was hoping for here...

Well, the sweet biscuity malts make up for the bad appearance... They bring a respectability back to this.. Pretty decent for the style...

Well, this is a big disappointment....this is watery and bland with a touch of sweet malts but there's also this buttery oily finish that really has me struggling with this one....this is the weakest of the locals by far..

Well, I got to try a brew that I never would have had a chance to try otherwise but in this case, that's not a good thing... (777 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Very dark amber for the style. White head that quickly dissipated. Solid looking brew.

S: Not much on the nose, which I took to be a good thing as it does not look like I got a spoiled bottle. Little malt apparent but really not much there at all.

T & M: Maltiness up front with thin finish. There is some toastiness that picked up just briefly as well. Carbonation a little high for the style and diminishes the mouthfeel.

D: On the lower end of the Oktoberfest totem pole. Rahr seems to make average to slightly below average brews for the most part. (596 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is actually fairly nice, with some caramel and toffee notes. The flavor is not too great. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just very bland. I get some toffee and bready malt, but that is about it. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

I had heard the beers from Rahr's were better after they renovated their brewery, but this is the same, bland beer that they have always brewed. (455 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Pours a clear copper red color. A one finger white head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, some sweet caramel/toffee aromas. Nothing else.
T: Again, sweet malty flavors that are pretty generic. Caramel, maybe toffee depending on how you decipher if. Nothing else. Fairly bland and neutral.
M/D: A light to medium body. Fairly smooth. Not hard to drink, just nothing I really care to have a lot of.

Overall just bland, neutral, and inoffensive. Nothing I would recommend, but nothing to offensive either. Pretty much the definition of average. (585 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

BOTTLE: The label is suspect, simultaneously calling this a lager and an ale. Blame the TABC? Brown glass. Branded pry-off cap. 12 fl oz.

Expectations are average given the brewery. Served cold into a pilsner glass at low altitude in Austin, TX. Reviewed live as a Marzen per the label. 7% ABV.

Paired with pretzels.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2 fingers wide. Off-white colour. Even consistency. Decent fullness, thickness, and softness. Retention is nice - ~6 minutes. Light lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Deep amber with copper hues. Shockingly, there's visible yeast suspended within, and this lacks the cleanliness usually associated with the style.

Appears well-carbonated. It's darker than most beers in the style and I'd definitely call it unconventional, but it's not unappealing. Still, I'm suspicious; if there's a brewery I trust to depart from style conventions and succeed gloriously, it isn't Rahr & Sons.

AROMA: Sweet and bready, with plenty of Munich and Vienna malt sweetness, as well as some overly sweet Caramunich. It's toasty and surprisingly caramel-emphatic. It's hard to imagine swilling down a litre of this from a masskrug based on the aroma. Suggests a Marzen which is far too full-bodied and sweet for mass consumption - and in the case of this style in particular, mass consumption is exactly the point. It even veers a bit into winter warmer or amber territory. I can't say I'm thrilled to try it, but it's not off-putting, and outside of style conventions I'd even say it's generally appealing. Frankly, it has the aroma of a well-executed amber lager.

No overt hop profile, yeast character, off-notes, or alcohol is/are detectable.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Definitely too sweet, with Caramunich, Vienna malt, and caramalt dominating the malt profile where Munich malts and pilsner malts should. It's too heavy and thick on the palate, with an inflated full body that is mismatched to the shallow flavours present. Toasty and malty as hell. There's a minimal hop presence, which is apt for the style, but the yeast attenuation isn't quite as clean (i.e. high) as it should be. It doesn't scream German per se, and I have to wonder if they experimented with an atypical yeast strain.

It's generally balanced, but is far from dialed in for the style. Again, this drinks like a well-executed amber lager, not a festbier. Depth, duration, and intensity of flavour are average. I do like it for what it is, but I definitely can't see myself taking on a litre or more of this at a German beer festival - which means it fundamentally fails in its purported style. Taking it outside of style conventions, it's an approachable brew that suffers from overcarbonation. Unrefreshing.

The texture isn't quite in harmony with the taste, but it doesn't sabotage it. There's ample room for improvement.

The build as a whole has fair cohesion, but never drinks like a gestalt whole which exceeds the sum of its parts. This is a decently constructed brew which leans a bit too hard on its breadiness to really satisfy Marzen conventions.

OVERALL: The discerning drinker may scoff at it when it's taken as a festbier, but outside of style conventions it's not a bad brew by any means. Still, at best it's average. At this price point, I can't recommend it. Pretty pedestrian stuff from Rahr & Sons any way you slice it, but not undrinkable. I'll finish my glass and will soon forget it, but to its credit, it does a nice job of hiding its 7% ABV. On a final note, those familiar with Rahr & Sons' other offerings will be unsurprised by its (lack of) quality. This definitely fits into the rest of their oeuvre - if you'll forgive the pretension implicit in that phrasing.

C (2.8) (3,750 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -8%

A standard pour of Rahr & Sons' Oktoberfest yields a dark amber body with lovely reddish highlights and a small, fizzy beige head. The 1/2-inch cap falls quickly and disappears without a trace. A few sheets of tiny bubbles move lazily towards the surface. I don't expect a giant head on a Märzen, in which head-making hops are understated, but quality of this foam leads me to make two predictions: 1) want of hops will render the brew too sweet; 2) the mouthfeel won't do justice to the rich flavors that typify the style.

The nose isn't appealing at first: a strange, smoky smell and copper. A few swirls around the glass and repeated sniffs toss up a bit of more-toasted-than-usual toffee.

The taste is more interesting than the nose. The metallic flavors are ever present, but are subdued by some sweet malty flavors. Bittering hops are pronounced. I taste toffee, slightly-more-than-toasted butter cookies, and candied bitter melon. Then there's that nagging smokey flavor... hmm...

The beer is full on the palate, but even at warmer temperatures, foam is wanting.

I liked Rahr & Sons' Oktoberfest more than I thought I would. Still, there are much better versions from both sides of the Atlantic. I won't drink this one next year. (1,242 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

First had: ? (I believe on tap at Casey's, Newtown Square, PA)

Poured a clear bronze color with a short-lived white head. Pretty basic aroma and taste, with mild, toasty malts going on and not too much else. Not terrible, but pretty bland and uninteresting. Medium mouthfeel, can seem a little watery at times, but still somewhat drinkable if you're not feeling too adventurous. (379 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

I originally bought a 6 pack that was obviously bad. Contacted Rahr's and someone from the brewery drove from Ft. Worth to North Dallas to check it out, and then after tasting a few of the beers he replaced the store's supply with fresh from the brewery beer. BIG PROPS to Rahr's for that.

So I'll be reviewing the fresh beer.

Poured in a pint class to a very nice amber color with a small amount of of white head, with minimal lacing.

Smell is ok, nothing great (but not as bad as the first beer I opened that was bad).

Taste is also ok. I've been drinking many different Oktoberfests this fall and I would have to say this is not a very good contender.

Rahr's customer service is top notch. However, they need a little work on this seasonal. (748 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm here in Fort Worth, and I definitely want to support my local brewery, but man, I wish they'd come to the table with some higher quality beer. I shall explain. This one has all the markings of an Oktoberfest, one can see what they are going for, but it's just not quite happening. I kept thinking to myself that it wasn't quite as good as Saint Arnold's Oktoberfest. Rahr's has a pleasant aroma with some good malty notes, almost no head retention or lacing, and a bit of a bite in the finish that wasn't to my liking. Keep on trying, Rahr, I'm still hanging with ya. (571 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured this out of a 12 oz bottle. The bottle has a nice drawing of a German Oktoberfest and a quick description of "OZapft is", (the keg is tapped) on the side.

The beer poured a I got a decent one finger head, but it quickly disappated and there was no lace left on the side of the glass. Within minutes there wasn't even any foam left.

The smell reminded me of orange and I checked to see if the beer listed orange peel, but did not see it listed.

The has a slightly bitter taste, but it goes down very smooth. I get a decent balanced beer with a light bit of cascade hops.

Not a bad offering if you consider that it is from my hometown brewery of Rahr and Sons. The place is definitely hit or miss. (706 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

A: The beer pours a nice amber color with a thick tan head.

S: The beer has some coffee, malt and some

T: The taste wasnt as strong as I was hoping. It has some sweet maltyness and some caramel, but not really much else.

M: The beer mouthfeel isnt anything special. I drink it and just feel like I am missing out on something.

O: This a decent average Oktoberfest beer, but nothing to go out of the way to get. (416 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured with a foamy tan head that had large bubbles and faded fairly quickly. The beer had excellent clarity and was a deep amber with some orange highlights. No lacing to be found. Some visible carbonation.

Aroma was all malt, some sweetness and a bit like crusty bread. Almost that spice cinnamon note that I detect at times.

Flavor is fine. Not too deep. Some roasted malt, followed by a bread like or cracker flavor. Not much sweetness. A bit dry. At moments I got a metallic flavor. Faded towards the end. Not very complex.

Mouth feel was kind of light and the carbonation was a bit bright. Drinkable, but not very exciting. (632 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass

L: clear amber, almost red; minimal offwhite/beige head, about 1/4-inch tall, no lace or stick and very thin collar -- beer has mostly flat look, very few bubbles in it

S: sour grain; some malt sweetness, toasted malt -- almost Vienna lager-like

T: dirt hops ... very earthy, like a fuggles or English hop sandwich, just bitter with no discernible taste -- sounds bad but it works well bouncing off a solid amount of sweetish malt; some sour grain; over time begins to take on a medicinality

F: good carbonation for so flat-looking a brew ... relatively crisp and light

O: has some nice early notes, mainly from the toasted malt taste and smell, but it turns into a mostly medicinal-tasting bitter mash of sour grain and rubbing alcohol. decent start fizzles into a beer not worth trying again ... frankly, like every other American Octoberfest I've tried. call this one the last for me (935 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The Oktoberfest pours a dark amber with a nice tan head and all the trademark sweet malt aromas of the style. The taste is a good sweet maltiness with a slight hop and even a bit of Chocolate. For a darker beer it was light on the palate and very clean and drinkable. The Rahr & Sons Oktoberfest was a great Texas Oktoberfest. (326 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Dark amber color. On tap in a cold glass.

S: Not much as the temperature is very cold.

T: Earthy hops, grain and malt, zest. Not much else, but a nice beer, honestly.

M: Medium dry. Not too light.

O: Nice layed back beer. Liked it overall. (246 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Had a few of these at the brewery last night. Medium dark amber color poured with almost no head but good lacing. Very clear.

Nothing too special or strong on the smell.

Tastes like a standard oktoberfest beer with a mild malty flavor and a bit of caramel. Very slight bitter aftertaste.

A little bit thicker than others but smooth and dry.

Pretty nice beer to drink I had three. Not sure the ABV but must be decent as I could feel it pretty good by the last one. Overall not a bad beer at all. (499 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a delicious looking beer-bottle brown with red highlights around the edges. Turns a little redder in stronger light. Limited head with no retention and pretty much no lacing. Lots of carbonation. Good color, but the lack of foam hurts.

All chocolate and caramel. A little toasty. A nice smell. With much agitation, some hoppy (spicy, piney) notes just peek through.

It's like dipping your tongue in carbonated liquid chocolate. Some toasty caramelized notes come through here and there too. A good taste, but nothing to write home about.

Fairly light on the palate. Good crisp carbonation prickle. Actually reminds a little bit of Rahr's Ugly Pug, which I find quite tasty. It's lighter though. Mostly sweet. Just a little bitter bite here and there.

Tasty. I won't have trouble finishing my sixer. But I have to think there are better Marzen/Oktoberfest brews out there (I haven't tried too many myself). (915 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast