Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Winter Warmer |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-28-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 348 | Reviews: 107

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

2011 version. 22oz bomber into my Rahr WW oversized snifter. Xmas gift from the bf...good job!

A - Very dark brown, clear when held up to the light. Pretty much zero head, a little patchy ring & cover.

S - vanilla & bourbon, first & foremost. Some caramel, molasses, kinda chocolatey...pretty awesome! Great WW aroma.

T - follows the nose, but the hops come out more, especially at the finish, which is a little unbalanced...but otherwise really tasty.

M - medium bodied, smooth as all get out, except for the hop bite at the end. Just could be a tad better.

D/O - one of my favorite WWs, definitely better than their regular WW (which is still good, just not outstanding like this). I'm lucky to be able to get this since it's local. I have another that I'm planning on saving for next year (still in Christmas wrapping, aw!), and I think that will give it some time to lose the bite at the end. Hope the final product is just that much smoother!

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

2011 vintage into a wide mug. At the bosses house so no globe or snifter.

Appearance - Nice deep colored pour with a good half inch of head. Not much lacing but reatined a nice evan layer of foam through the most of the glass. Darker color than I expected with deep cherry red and brown shades around the edges.

Smell - Good bit of vanilla and bourbon. Followed by cherry and pistacio salad. Took me a second to place that old familiar smell(pistacio salad) in the foam. As the head died down I got a bit of grassy hops.

Taste - For the most part follows the nose. Vanilla, bourban, and a bit of cherry. The hops is still a bit fresh leaving a mild sharpness.

Mouthfell - Medium bodied. I bit unbalanced with the hops but it just needs a 6 months or so to mellow. Nice creamy feel up front with a midly sharp finish.

Overall - A damn fine beer! Cant wait to try one in another 6 months. One of my favorite styles that seems to fit somewhere in between a big red, big brown, and porter. The bourban and vanilla really add to this beer. I was worried that the bourban would dominate the flavor but it didn't at all.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Pours a very dark redish brown with a head that hardly exists. The head doesnt even cover the whole beer and leaves around the glass of the beer.

S: The smell is outstanding. It has a lot of chocolate, coffee, caramel and malt.

T: To me this is one of the best winter warmers I have ever had. The beer has a lot of chocolate and coffee flavors. Has a strong sweetness and a little whiskey flavor. Just a great combo.

M: The beer is very smooth and gives you a nice warm feeling. It is very drinkable and has a slight crispness.

O: This is a very great beer, by far the best one that Rahr makes (IMO). I am aging a bottle and cant wait to see how this beer tastes in a year.

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

Out of the bottle a very dark brown pour. Not much lacing.
The bourbon barrel is well represented. Whiskey and wood are prominent.
Sweet and boozy at first. Warm and fulfilling after it rests.
Excellent mouth feel that keeps this sipping brew leaving me happy and content.
Overall, a fantastic Winter Warmer.

4.06/5  rDev -1%

The appearance is daaark and seems clear.

The smell is pleasant and carries the typical toffee/caramel scent, but not as strongly as some extremely dark beers.

The taste is nice and simple. It's drinkable for a dark beer.

The mouth feel is smooth and thick, like thick saliva.

Overall, it's a good beer, but it's dark. I still prefer others when comparing it to 'winter beers.'

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Cola brown, not much head. Thin tan ring and spotty lace.

S - Deep malt. Nice. Candy aspects, and hint of booze.

T - Taste as smell, but spices added.

M - Good carb, good balance. Medium to light body.

D - Big flavors and ABV. Would tire easily.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle generously provided by Exiled, thanks Jason!

This is definitely an interesting concept, I can't really say I've heard of anyone barrel-aging a Winter Warmer.

A - Appears much darker than I was expecting, almost completely black with some cola-colored speckles throughout. A creamy, 2-fingered tan head melds flawlessly to contrast with the liquid, with decent retention. Lacing is solid as well, with thin curtains of foam.

S - Very interesting aroma on this beer. I am getting a lot of malts, spice, and fruits, without only a slight trace of the bourbon barrel here (and supposedly this batch is aged in Jim Beam barrels). The fruits are much stronger than anticipated, bringing cinnamon and raisins, almost to the point of a dubbel or quad.

T - Thankfully the taste is much more balanced than the nose. The whiskey actually plays a role here, and it is nicely integrated in my opinion. It's not exploding with the barrel, but it serves to accentuate the nuances. Conversely, the fruits are turned down here, making way for dark chocolate and slight coffee. Much more balanced. Throughout, a dry spiciness persists to work into the Winter Warmer style. I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan at first, but it definitely grew on me.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with decent carbonation. I have to admit, I thought this would feel a bit more full in the mouth. Finishes semi-dry and has a lingering aftertaste of whiskey, chocolate, and raisins.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. I have to give Rahr credit for barrel-aging a style that doesn't really have a rich history of being put in barrels. That being said, although I received this beer more warmly after having a few sips, I'm still not completely sold. I feel the bourbon aspect is spot on, but it is still a bit too sweet with an overwhelming fruit presence. Enjoyable, but I could see this as being a beer I could only have once or twice a year.D

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

When it's winter time and the cold wind is howling, and you are surrounded by good friends, there are only a few brews you can choose from if you want an epic one. This is one of them. This year's batch used Jim Beam barrels and it is wonderful. Strong, warming, and delicious. This brew is a must try and you'll find yourself saving some for aging, which I highly recommend.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company