Gravel Road - Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Altbier |  7.25% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Sweasty on 07-09-2011)
3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance:
Deep copper color, touch of haze. Mild carbonation. A little head.

Aroma:
Good amount of malty aroma... Bready, toasted, some hint of sweet chocolate.

Taste:
Sweet malts up front along with bitterness at the end. Malt character is almost like a Doppelbock style, I'm getting lots of sweet malts, caramel-toffee, maple, just a touch of milk chocolate. Floral-citrus hop character towards the end.

Body:
Medium bodied. Well carbonated.

Finish:
Bitter finish, yet very smooth.

4.08/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours dark copper to brown. Very little head.

The nose is a giant mixture malts. With 4 different malts in this beer there is no way around the heavy, sticky sweet variety of maltyness in the nose. Lots of toffee and caramel, with a little underlying roast. I also note a slight sourness.

Everything the nose led you to believe is in the taste. Sticke sweet, toffee and caramel are dominate. It would be to sweet if it weren’t for a combination of the Carafa Special 3 malt bringing some delicious roastiness to the game, and 2 different hops adding a light green bitterness to the finish.

This beer is particularly easy to drink if you have one or two. Not a beer to session in my opinion, as the incredible sweetness would weigh on you after a short time.

I also find it to be ever so slightly under carbonated, which is a common complaint of mine from Rahr beers in general.

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a nice amber hue with a big fluffy head. Nice lacing throughout the drink as well.

The aroma is of caramel, smoke, roast, and some hops. I see where the alt comes in. There is a hint of staleness in there and a slight hint of bile.

The taste is mostly sweet malt with some roast and a bit of hoppy bitterness to balance. Not bad at all. Very wasy drinking.

The feel is a bit light, yet maintains a creaminess.

Overall, pretty good. This would pair better with food than it stands alone.

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer pours a dark brownish-red color with a white head. The aroma is a mix of toffee with some dark fruit added. The flavor is similar. I get a lot of toffee and hazelnut notes, with some dark fruit thrown in. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I don't have much to say about the beer because there is not a whole lot going on. A decent, easy drinker but nothing too exciting.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

I picked this beer up at the Central Market in Fort Worth. I have never seen this one in Houston. I don't see that it is 7.25% marked on the bottle, so I wonder if that was a mistake as that is pretty big for an Altbier. Let's give it a shot anyway. Here we go:

Appearance: Pours quite Alt-like being a very clear brown color with a small head of barely off-white bubbles that were small and compact. The head was only on the beer for about 30 seconds and ended as a small ring where the beer meets the glass. There are a few bubbles rising and they stick for a second or two before bursting into oblivion. The color is based a little more on Brown than Red, like most commercial Altbiers, but it is still inviting for the style. There is some lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: The aroma is also pretty good for the style. There is mostly malt in the nose and it gives the toasty notes like you would expect. There is a little bit of hops noticeable in the aroma, but it is reserved as it should be. I am getting a little bit of cherry as the beer sits a bit, which is a little odd. Overall the grain is in charge, but it isn't coming across as grainy, which is good.

Taste: The flavor also reminds me of an Altbier, but it is a little more out of line than the other attributes. The hops is still pretty noticeable in the finish indicating that this beer is a little bit young. It leaves a mild grassy impression on the back of the throat that lingers for quite some time after the sip. The carbonation is appropriate to a tad low, and the body is appropriately medium. The finish is definitely toward the hops, but it seems to be working with the water pretty well.

Opinion: This is a pretty decent representation of this style, and this is definitely one of my more favorite beers that I have tried from Rahr (Their Barrel Aged Winter Warmer is my favorite so far). This one is a little green, but this is a hard style to do well, and they did pretty well. If you are a big fan of Altbiers, like I am, I would give this one a "day in court".

3.66/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: I poured the beer from a 12 oz bottle into a glass and it has a a dark brown color with not much head

smell: I am getting a lot of chocolate malt scents from this beer. Also have some caramel scents

taste: The taste was super unexpected. It hits your pallet with a toffee flavor with a slight chocolate flavor after taste.

M: The mouth feels is amazing. Super smooth and just as perfect as it gets for a beer.

Overall this beer is okay.

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured a 12oz bottle from a six pack into a stange.

A: Hazy dark brown with ruby highlights. Not much carbonation visible. Thin head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

S: Slight roasted malts, grassy hops.

T: Great balance of grassy hops and caramel/toffee malts. Both represented well in aftertaste.

M: Medium and a bit slick and creamy.

O: Great representation of the style as the hops and malts are very well balanced, it's easy to drink, and the subtle flavors don't overpower one another.

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Pours pretty dark brown, like a piece of black maple wood. Not really a head which seems somewhat surprising. Maybe I shouldn't be?

S- This smells kind of porterish, with smoke notes, and roasty toasty malt notes. And a good deal of spiciness like there's some wheat or rye in there.

T- Light smokiness. Bready. A woodfire. Maple syrup sweetness. Some hops, especially coming out in the aftertaste.

M- As I anticipated because of the head, this could use a bit more carbonation. Perhaps the style doesn't need a ton, but I think a little more liven up the beer a bit.

O- Smoky, interesting, decent.

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

On tap at Rockwells in Cypress, TX.

A: Pours a dark brown color. A tiny tan head forms and recedes to nothing. No lace.
S: Toasted malt, light chocolate, and some hop bitterness. Pretty standard.
T: Toasted malt, bread, biscuit, chocolate, and some hops. Not bad.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairy creamy and smooth. Easy enough to drink, but not something I would come back to.

Like most everything from Rahr, just ho hum. Nothing particularly wrong, but boring. Nothing I would recommend, but nothing bad either. Once again, I am still trying to find out what an Altbeir acutally is. I don't thing this is one.

2.33/5  rDev -33%

On tap at a local pub, during the last few rounds of trivia night.

A: Dark, ruby brown color. Red tinge from the CaraRed malt.

S: Toasty, woody smell. Lots of malt, possible slight tinge of raisin.

T: Heavy toasted malt, slight hint of sweetness. The more I drank, the more I was convinced the batch had been kilned just a bit too long. Bitter note, not from hops, but from burnt taste.

M: Very drying, bad burnt aftertaste.

I'm all for supporting the Rahr Brewery, but I felt this brew was below their standards. I'd be willing to try another one, and give Rahr the benefit of the doubt.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

My buddy Scott stumbled across this, cheers. It is dark, translucent brown with very little head. The smell gets things going, though, with caramel, wood, and a biscuit smell. The taste is slightly sharp and almost smoky with a kind of earthy aftertaste. Very easy to drink. See? I just did it. The mouthfeel is thin and a little slippery. Overall, definitely a refreshing beer with a noticeable but not overpowering character. I'd like it with BBQ, I imagine and I like it in me, I'm sure. Somewhere between "buy another sixer" and "buy a keg" I'd say.

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Thanks for sharing this one, Bobby.

A: The beer pours amber in color with a finger or so of khaki head.

S: Like a lot of altbiers, this one smells like grapes to me. There is some toast and bread, along with some yeast. There is a mild fruit note, and that's about it. This beer really doesn't smell like much.

T: The flavor isn't all that intense either, but it does have some sweetness to it. A bit of toffee along with the bread and toasted malts. There are very light hop notes as well as some hints of fruit (mostly grape).

M: The body is what I would consider medium, as is the carbonation.

O: I found this to just be "okay". It wasn't all that aromatic or flavorful.

2.48/5  rDev -28.7%

My first experience w/ Rahr and Sons

Poured into a pint glass..

Appearance-Dark red, mahogany. About a one finger off white head that dissipated quickly and left no laces. Very unapealing.

Smell-Very subtle aroma. Light dark fruits and some bitterness. Really not much here.

Taste-Follows the nose. The primary flavor is bready with some slightly sweet fruits. Towards the end a pretty big floral hop bitterness cuts through. Not horrible I guess.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, easy to drink. Watery.

Overall-Altbier's are not a style I prefer, but have enjoyed the others I've had(Spoetzl, Long Trail) but this one didn't really bring much flavor or anything to really savor or enjoy. Not for me, and probably won't be for you either.

2.6/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from local shop...
pours a nice amber color with a tiny ring of head, not much at all...
the nose is bready, very wheat forward. Definitely strong on the munich malt, or at least what I think is munich... no hops...
Taste is pretty empty.... nothing on the front, nothing in the middle and ends with a toffee maltiness with a bitter finish and aftertaste. I dont think I have actually had such a tastless beer. Never has there been such a hole in a beer for me. There is a nice creaminess on the front, with a sweetness, but honestly, i taste nothing there... I may have to revisit this, may be something wrong with me? Going to ask the girlfriend... no help there, she is drinking a lil sumpthin wild, and just tastes brown sugar...
Mouthfeel is great, nice and creamy... carbonation is medium, on par with the style.
overall, this was disappointing. I am going to revisit this if i find any difference when i come back to it, but ultimately a strangely flavorless brew.

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - Dark caramel colored amber. Thin light yellowish head that disappears fairly quickly.
Smell - Not too much aroma, slight fruity notes.
Taste - Mellow and smooth. Lots of fruit tastes, apricots, dark fruits, peachy, dash of raisins. A slight hoppy bitterness lingers after.
Mouthfeel - Body feels good.

Overall - An enjoyable brew.

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into Sam Adams glass. Pours dark for an altbier, with a one finger head with medium dissapation.

Aroma is darker as well with coffee, caramel, and bready malt scents.

Taste is biscuit and toffee as well as a little fruity - maybe pears. Light hops come through for a nice finish.

Overall this is a pretty decent beer. A nice bit of experimentation - sort of a Altbier/Light Porter. Nothing earth shattering but I'd happily have another or six.

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass, this is very dark for an alt: dark brown, nearly opaque. The head fades quickly after the pour. Aroma is heavy on the malt, with a bit of roast character... a little chocolate. Very unusual for an altbier. The follows the nose, pretty much, though it offers some bitterness with no accompanying hop flavor. Very lightly fruity yeast character. Finish is malty. Body is a tad thin and watery.

While the Rahr brewery generally impresses me, this beer does not. I would probably have called it a strong porter rather than an alt. It doesn't fit alt characteristics at all. And, it's just not a very interesting beer.

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

I drank this from a pint glass...

The beer is dark copper with a thick tan head that faded and left a filmy layer and lacing. It smells strangely of mint with some spicy hops and fruit, it's a very different smell for a beer but it does smell quite good. It tastes bitter with lemon and pine, there is a lot of sweet caramel malt and dark fruit. The beer is thick with low carbonation and a sticky lingering finish. This is the best altbier I've had so far, it is very balanced between sweet and bitter.

Gravel Road from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company