Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel - The Brewer's Art

Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn TripelBrewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel

The Brewer's Art visit their website
Maryland, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: orsulacp on 02-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel Alström Bros

If you like pepper and you like Belgians this is the ultimate! I just wish it was obtainable in more areas. I have only seen it in big bottles at Whole Foods and a few bars in Mid-Atlantic. Brewers Art beers are all very good and worth the trip to an out of the way place in Baltimore.

4.73/5  rDev +16.2%

This was the forth beer we started with at a beer-tasting at my place.

A –Yellow/ fluid but still different than any other beer color I ever laid eyes on, with a nice head.

S – Smell of fresh hop with pepper.

T – There is definitely green pepper in this beer but the beer taste is beautiful fresh and balanced. Is there alcohol in this beer?

M – Very nice, a bubble explosion in your mouth.

O – What a fantastic different beer, a league of its own.

4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

The absolute best of Brewer's Art, and that's saying something since they have some really top notch beers.
Perfectly balanced. Very slightly sweet, rich with a wonderful peppery finish that never overwhelms. You could drink this for hours, but watch out! there's a reason they serve you a 6 oz portion at the restaurant.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Now this was a different kind of blonde. Gold in color with a massive white foam head. Tastes like pepper and yeast. Has a burning finsh not like alcohol though but like ginger beer. The pepper make for a unique burning feel unlike anything I've ever had before with beer. This doesn't hurt the drinkability which is quite impressive. I think it would accompany tuna or salmon quite nicely

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%

Big thanks to beandip for hooking me up with this long-sought brew. It is a good one!

A - The beer pours a glowing golden-orange with a voluminous white head, collapsing slowly into delicate yet plentiful lace. It is one of the few times I have seen a brew that was on-par with Duvel in the appearance department.

S - Initially, it is bready and spicy and somewhat alcoholic, just like a Tripel should be. As it airs out, the spiciness takes on the specific notes of green peppercorn, and it seems to suggest a peppery-spicy-herbal-green hoppiness, too.

T - This tastes amazing. It is just delicious, delectable and perfectly balanced for this style, or any style. The spiciness is immediately apparent, though green peppercorn is not readily discernible; it is more like a highly nuanced take on the traditional Belgian Tripel spiciness. Breadiness and alcohol give way to herbal and golden fruity notes as it airs out, there is a tremendous sense of sweet-dry balance, obvious mineral pristine-ness, grassy-leafy bitterness and eventually the appearance of green peppercorn. The booze is not trying to hide, nor should it, as it plays a role in flavor enhancement throughout the brew. This is really a phenomenal take on the Tripel, it utilizes or improves upon all of the key elements for the style.

M - Good and bright, but lacking the expansive creaminess of an authentic Belgian.

D - I can't stress how important it was that I poured this brew carefully into a decanting vessel after 24+ hours of undisturbed upright refrigerated storage. This brew is very sedimentary, and the particulates are particularly perturbing in this case. So it is essential: Do not pour a cloudy brew with this one!

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow. I was surprised to find this Tripel tonight at a local store that only carries the "big named" brews.

Being a fan of other Brewer's Art brews, I knew I had to pick this one up. Especially since I have a love for tripels.

750ml corked and caged bottle. Beautiful artwork on the label.

Pour into a Delirium Tremens tulip glass.

Appearance was dark golden, slightly cloudy with a HUGE head (looked like a cake) that left lots of lacing in the glass. This might have the largest head I've seen on a beer. Pummels the likes of Duvel and Co.

Smelled sugary sweet, smelled like Belgian yeast.

Tasted malts and yeast with a hint of spice. Alcohol is well hidden for 10%. It says Peppercorn Tripel but I don't taste much Peppercorn (is that a bad thing?). Nice thick feel.

Drinkability? I'm 3/4 through the 750ml bottle and I want another. Honestly one of the best tripel style brews I've ever had. And I've had a lot. I'd put this in the same class with the Gouden Carolus, Karmeliet and Westmalle's of the world. Call me crazy! But I love this beer. This was the last 750ml bottle in the store, but luckily the owners are my neighbors, so I hope to talk them into ordering more.

Great job Brewer's Art. Cheers!

(P.S. - I plan to upload a picture to to the site soon since we don't yet have one)

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Tried this unique beer on tap at the Brewer's Art in the beginning of May. The appearance was unremarkable, it could have passed for an american light beer to the untrained eye. The slight gold color signaled its superior flavor.

The aroma was very interesting with spicy notes and hints of the belgian yeasts used to brew it.

The flavor was like nothing else I've had. The peppercorn flavor mixed wonderfully with the spicy hop taste. The strong ale was decetively dry and easy to drink. Very nice beer overall.

4.6/5  rDev +13%

Here is another opportunity to toot my own horn. As shappudding will attest to, I am a master of self-promotion. I, too, first had this at the Grey Lodge's Friday the Firkenteenth last year and was utterly blown away by it. I then sent an e-mail to Volker & Co. to tell them about its reception among those in attendance and to suggest that it might be more than a one-off for them. Yesterday, as I entered The Brewer's Art, I noticed a tap with a greenish hue to it and being the curious cat that I am, decided to investigate further. Imagine my joy when I realized what was on! Volker remembered the E, but not the sender, and assured me that it will be an occasional beer, not just a one-off.
It is, at base, a trippel that arrives a beautiful crystal gold color. There is only slight evidence of CO2 bubbles and it has a light, white head. The nose gives off a slight aroma of pepper, but nothing to sneeze at (pun intended). The mouthfeel is light, yet drying and has a pleasant effervescence. It is the finish - Omigawd, the finish! - where the pepper makes its appearance. The pepper suddenly explodes in the sinus cavity like the Alien from the poor yutz's stomach in the original movie. Yow! The pepper is everywhere. Soon I could taste nothing but pepper and resigned myeslf to having another, as everything else would just pale in comparison.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A - a towering, massive foamy head over top of a finely bubbled clear yellow. This looks nice!
S - light yeasty/spicy tripel ester smell with a bit of peppercorn aroma. A mild balanced smell with nothing out of proportion or too strong.
T - foamy head by itself has a peppery bite. Actual ale is much more balanced with the pepper showing but not overwhelming the underlying solid tripel character. A bit of sweet balances the spicy quite well.
M - crisply/sharply carbonated medium bodied verging towards the lighter side with a slight drying finish. Almost saison like in a very good way.
D - quite easy going refreshing tripel with everything well balanced.
Overall a fine tripel with a little pepper to add a zing.
Would/will have again and highly recommend to tripel fans.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Well carbonated, the beer pours with a frothy, billowing, initially four-finger thick, pale tan colored head that creates a structured, varied surface and nice lacing pattern on the sides of the glass as it slowly subsides. The head sits on top of a lightly chill hazed (it was & is reasonably clear when warmer), straw gold colored beer. Aromatic notes of lemon zest, herbal coriander as well as floral aromatics evoking thoughts of lavender, lemon thyme, honeysuckle and varied wild-flowers. Pale malt notes of crushed soda crackers, a honey like malt sweetness and grassy grain. The spice notes play a huge role here, though I wouldn't necessarily guess that it is due to any actual spices used in the recipe. Aromatic notes of ginger, white pepper, fresh cut basil and clove are all noticeable. This has a very nice aroma to it; I really like the mix of spicy / herbal notes, ample lemon character and honey-like malt.

Still quite well carbonated, despite resting in my glass for ten minutes; the beer foams up into a froth as soon as it hits my mouth. Lightly sweet with honey notes as well as a touch of pear, some sweet grape notes, an undercurrent of apricot and some currant flavors. The carbonation adds a sharpness to this brew, even after I have swirled away the excess. The carbonation and ample spice notes provide a sharp piquancy to the finish; it is definitely spicy and very noticeable though if I hadn't known beforehand I would not have guessed there were green peppercorns in this beer. The beer is very floral, it really reminds me of flower nectar and honey. A noticeable, simple sweetness does not keep this beer from being quite light in heft. This has an interesting flavor to it that reminds me particularly of young pickled ginger; the sweetness, spiciness and sharp piquancy all contribute to this. The spiciness, especially in the finish, has a slight tongue numbing effect to it, which is perhaps also accentuated a bit by a slightly hot, warming, higher alcohol note.

A very spicy brew, but the spice character is well integrated and it is hard to even tell that it is just not a product of the fermentation process. This is perhaps, no definitely, a bit sweeter than I would like in a typical Tripel, but the floral / honey sweetness works here in combination with the piquant herbal / spice notes. While perhaps not perfection, you almost can't ask for a better looking brew than this; textured, frothy, well carbonated and with a dynamic, structural master-piece of a head. I am really enjoying this brew, it is as good as I hoped, and better than I expected, and it is growing on me more and more as I work my way through the brew. A perfect appetizer to the meal of seafood Som Tam and sticky rice I am about to construct.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Tasted at the Brewer's Art with dinner on 4/30/04

Appearance: Pale gold with thick white head.

Smell: Yeast and grassy, with whiff of pepper and undercurrents of malt and the faintest hint of alcohol.

Taste: Pale malts and citrus tones right off the bat. Then an almost brioche like note that dissapears under pepper, herbal and grassy hoppy notes and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Dense creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: 10% abv precludes anything besides moderation, not that this is a bad thing.

Note this was enjoyed alongside the Grilled Wild Salmon with Lobster-Vegetable Spring Roll, Potato Puree, Black Truffle Red Wine Syrup. Scrumdiddles.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good triple! It has a very carbonated frothy head with a nice golden color in the glass. Hints of pepper and fruits add to the tastebuds on the back of your tongue. This does not have a noticable 9.20% ABV in your mouth. Enjoying it at The Brewer's Art (basement bar) makes this triple even better! This is a must have at The ART!

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured out of the bottle into a tulip glass. Been wanting this one for some time.

A real nice dark gold color body, with LOTS of foamy rock hard white head, shampoo like and soapy. Extensive carbonation out of the bottle and also lots of rising carbonation. Body color is just a little darker than the average Belgian Pale Ale, and this is quite clear.

Mild peppercorn. Feels just been crushed under foot with the spices crackling out of it. I want peppercorn steak NOW! Hint of Belgian candy like yeast, but pretty mild. This doesn't seem like a tripel more like a good Belgian pale ale.

Taste is light bodied pale ale Belgian style, with pepper in mid palate. Candied style sweetness on the finish, and lingering aromatics of crushed peppercorn herb. No heat, nice and balanced.

Really enjoy this and it's a dream food pairing with some sort of spiced moules and frites, or a classic peppercorn steak. Home run for sure, drinking this makes me hungry, but it doesn't feel like a real tripel to me, more like a solid Belgian Strong Pale Ale I think, but it makes me feel so good!!

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Who knew? Peppercorns in beer?

A: It poured a hazy gold with an airy tall head.

S: Light spice, sweet malt, some hops with a touch of the green peppercorns. The peppercorns were subtle which was to my delight. Some brewers force the namesake overpowering your senses.

T: Sweet malt with some fruity notes. The hops are there but very light. The peppercorns are a nice touch. They gave this triple a refreshing finish. I think I even tasted a hit of white grapefruit too.

M: Very nice on the tongue. Plenty of bubbles to keep it moving.

D: Very drinkable. Easy on the palate.

bottle says by 12/2/10

I had heard about this beer in one of the threads and was looking forward to trying this. Sounded intriguing.. Have to say, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Picked this up at Stateline on my way home from SC.

Enjoyed this with some grilled scallops and grilled veggies and thought it went very well with them.

The head was very delicate and fluffy with tiny colored flecks in it. As it slowly melted, there was sticky spider web lacing everywhere. The beer was a slightly hazy dull gold/straw color.

Aroma was wonderful. Green grapes, yes peppercorn., yeast notes and some light sweet fruit. Very fresh and bright.

Lots going on in the flavor. The peppercorn notes are just enough, but do not get in the way. Some nice flavors you'd associate with a tripel. A bit of candied sugar, some light fruit. Pear and spice. Ginger? Plenty of spice notes from the yeast... The pepper brightened the hop bitterness that lingers at the end.

I thought the body was very light and delicate. Very crisp.

Wonderful beer. I wish I had bought another bottle. I'll look for this again!!

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%

Purchased the bottle from the Wine Source for $8 (I think they want $12 at Brewer's Art). Purchased so that I could enjoy their goodness at home and help support a local that is feeling their way into the bottle business.
Absolutely beautiful beer. Pours a sunsetting yellow gold with a huge head. Even after it calms down, it has tight, thick white even bubbles along the top that leave excellent lacing. Aroma of starfruit and yeast.
Taste was a mouthfull of goodness. Flavors bounced from malty chalky to fruity, all with a hint of peppery finish. Mouthfeel was smooth, enhanced even more so with the zesty carbonation. Overall, another excellent brew from my favorite brewpub.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This bottled offering from Brewer's Art pours a hazy, pale gold with a huge bright white head. Lots of lacing, both patches and rings, stick to the glass. The head fades slowly to a ring and thin sheet, but never completely disappears.

The aroma is full of spices and yeast with a strong presence of the green peppercorns. The pepper is very fresh smelling. There is also a hint of lemon and another sweet fruity smell.

The flavor is zesty, almost biting at times. Spices up front with the sweetness running in and out throughout the whole experience. Pepper and bitterness linger in the aftertaste. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is a unique blend of crisp and carbonated with a silky creamy feel. Almost a little oily (think hop oils) after swallowing. Great addition to an already good beer. The only thing that keeps this from having 4.5's across the board for me is the 10% abv. Delicious beer you should seek out and try.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pulled out from the cellar at meridian pint outside of DC

The beer pours an initially clear slightly golden yellow (more straw than golden) with a generous amount of sticky white head. Towards the bottom of the bottle, the thin yeast sediment gets stirred up and flocculates into my glass. The nose is initially a subtle honey-herbal peppercorn that becomes down-right potent green peppercorns as it's given a chance to warm. The taste is a unique blend of the sweet tripel base followed by a herbal/bitter peppercorn aftertaste. It deliciously pairs with my meal. The mouthfeel is as expected - a bit of sweetness/booze, light/medium bodied carried by an intensely flavorful peppercorn bite. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of this beer initially (when it was cold) because the bitterness came off weird/unappealing, but everything smoothed out in due time. This beer is damn good and completely worth seeking out if you enjoyed CBC's Sgt. Pepper.

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%

Picked this up in Annapolis, MD on a recent work trip.

Pours a very cloudy straw color, reminiscent of a good hefeweizen, with a very thick meringue like three finger head. the foam is very Duvelesque, both in volume and in staying power. Tons of lacing clings to the glass as a result.

Smell; once the head fades a little (which takes a while) some nice fruity notes come through. Pear and passion fruit come through, and then the peppercorn gives this a nice earthiness. The fruits and pepper do a nice job of balancing each other in the nose. Let's see if they manage to do the same in the drink.

Taste; I thought the fruits would come out initially after the aroma, but the peppercorn hits you right out of the gates. Spicy, and earthy, with just a little honey like sweetness. The fruits do come out after it warms a bit, with pears and peaches, and then a slow build back to the pepper. The combination or honey, fruits and pepper give this a bit of a floral quality in the finish.

Mouthfeel/drinkability; mouthfeel is medium bodied yet ultra smooth and creamy. There's a lot of carbonation, but it's all smooth and silky on the tongue. Drinkability is good, but I can see where some would grow tired of the peppercorn. I, however, really enjoyed the spiciness that it gave to the beer.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

a: into the chalice it goes with a frothy white head atop a sunny golden, lightly hazed body, retained like a layer of meringue and dropping heavy lace on the glass walls

s: bright, sunny tripel with lots of florals and a firm but balanced current of young peppercorn on a malt body of yeasty white bread, powdery yeasts provide something of a rustic farmhouse side, slightly sweet candi sugars, fruits include green apple, white grape, peach, and sweet lemon, papery, aged noble hops, some sweet alcohol

m: carbonation lively but smooth on the light bodied beer

t: bready Belgian malt body holds a dab of sweetness and lots of activity - spicy green peppercorn, fruit flavors of white grape, green apple, and candied lemon, powdery yeasts with mild phenolics, papery hops with a clean, lightly bitter finish

d: not gonna be a problem, this is a high quality tripel and a pleasure to take in, the alcohol warms a bit but never really distracts, best beer I've had from Brewer's Art by far and one of the better American tripels around

corked 750 picked up a few months ago from Whole Foods P Street, DC

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle corked and caged. Best by 4/8/13.

I've traded this one out a couple of times, but have not tried it until now. Lucky me....

"An ale of mythic proportions."

The cork popped off with merely a hint of a pry.

A: Nice, foamy-heady, apricot-colored ale, with a very cloudy disposition. It looked like carbonated orange juice.

S: Wonderful peppercorn presence, with a nice yeasty undertow to back them up. Velvety, and more on the sweet vegetable side as opposed to the fruit one.

T: Very smooth, with a lingering peppery bitterness. The most peppery brew I've ever tried even... but I welcomed that. The rest of the brew was very subdue, especially in the sweeter elements. Malt, peppercorn, vegetable beverage.

M: Very spritzy like a fine champage. I felt this further accentuated the pepper, adding another dimension. The lacing was moderate.

O: If you like pepper, you're going to dig this one. If you don't, you'll hate it. This one is pretty cut and dry. Generally, I avoid red wine because I'm just not a fan, however, I do like the extremely peppery ones. My point: I love pepper!

Whenever I see a brew called "Green Peppercorn Trippel" in the title, I want to taste those goddam peppercorns. On that note, this one most certainly delivers!

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

750 mL corked and caged bottle picked up at the Brewer's Art, Baltimore, MD. A chickenscratch-ed "GPT" is written in purple (or faded black) sharpie on the top of the gold cage. Poured in to a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a crisp and bright but nonetheless slightly hazed golden, a very pretty color really, sort of one shade darker and less radiant than true gold and one shade lighter and more radiant than goldenrod ... let's call it a gamboge. The slight opacity can't hide tons of bustling effervescence, large bubbled in that sort of rustic, small brewery sense, zipping upwards from dozens of nucleation sites to the cap. The crown itself must surely be sustained by this massive influx of carbonation, because its initial two fingers of elevation faded to a more modest three-quarters height after an initial round of surging, fizzy excitement, though I think I like the end result - a subtle, creamy, whipped-looking off white head - much better.

Aroma: An amazingly pungent nose. Sweet floral notes are strong, bright, warming, and welcoming, mingling beautifully with faint tripel-esque fruits - mainly tropical and citrus, with hints of mango, peach, nectarine, orange, and pineapple - and a lightly earthy spiciness that is decidedly peppercorn in nature. My easiest peppercorn association - that of freshly cracked white and pink peppercorns on a pan-seared steak - is coming on full force here.

Taste: A little less robust than the nose, but still very nice. First, it's relatively dry - strongly crackery, honey-like in the spicyness, with hints of fruit sugar - but on the whole, very dry. The dryness is accentuated by the undeniably peppercorn-y notes that permeate the body of the flavor profile, particularly as it warms. It's spicy, a little prickly, very fresh and herbal, mingling nicely with some definite yeasty spicy phenols. The fruity notes - dry peaches and apricot - are detracted from ever so slightly by a slightly astringent note in the background, as well as a few dashes of yeasty nuttiness.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly, large, bright, and soft - after about 3 minutes of being a little too rough and eruptive to be perfect, it settles down in to the perfect Belgian mouth, pillowy and with the ideal amount of lift. What a fantastic feeling beer.

Drinkability: What an excellent beer, and a truly pleasant surprise. At 9.2%, the bottle was just about perfect for me, but I nursed it the whole night so I can't complain too much about its alcoholic intensity. I just loved the interplay between the notes though, the rustic roughness of it all, the authenticity, and the quality of the craftsmanship. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

750mL brown glass cork & craged bottle thanks to Thorpe429! My first Brewer's Art! Back label stamped 7145 4/08/13.

Pours calmly. A golden amber with thin white head that has great staying power. Nose is immediately spicy with lots of pepper. Very green and woody, like live tree branches.

Palate is crisp and biting up front and then this wonderful melange of pepper notes comes out, first black then green then maybe white towards the finish Carbonation explodes out of suspension if agitated in the mouth. Classic triple/Belgian blond yeast notes are present and dry this beer out. Maybe more like a saison than classic triple - a little paler and a little drier.

Notes: What a fantastic beer! The peppercorns are very present but are in no way overpowering. Lovely, refreshing and pretty. Must seek out more of these beers.

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at Lures in a pint

A-Pours a clear gold with a one finger white head that dissipates to the edges.

S-Aroma has a nice light fruit note with a good amount of sweet grains a hint of pepper and clove.

T-Flavor starts with sweet grains and light fruits with a decent amount of grass and grain in the finish.

M-Medium body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a sweet slick bubbly mouthfeel.

O-Very drinkable despite the ABV. Way to go Brewers Art job well done!

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. O.G. 18.6 Plato, 9.2% ABV, By 4/1/12.

Thanks to Chaney for this bottle in the awesome (Pumpkin Ale) box he sent my way!

A - Slightly hazy bright golden yellow with a billowing white head. Firm and well-retained, the white foam left some thick lace on the glass. The remainder of the bottle after sharing it is chock-full of sediment.

S - A little skunky to start with, it moves into a light candi sugar sweetness with the Belgian yeast aroma in tow. The peppercorns come out with a nice spicy aroma that blends with the spicy esters very well.

T - Bright and crisp with a heavy lingering sweetness, it's got lots of crystal malts and a shit-ton of candi sugar. Small hints of bananas and earthy clay comes out. The peppercorn is nice in this one!

M - Smooth and crisp initially with a medium body and a rich sweetness to the finish. Nice soft spice to the finish that balances the sweetness well. A little bit of the alcohol comes through retro-nasally.

D - Very drinkable for a tripe.l, it gets better as you sip it and the peppercorn is spectacular as an addition to the spicy tripel. A very nice brew! Thanks Chaney!

Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel from The Brewer's Art