Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel - The Brewer's Art

Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn TripelBrewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel

The Brewer's Art visit their website
Maryland, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: orsulacp on 02-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel Alström Bros

If you like pepper and you like Belgians this is the ultimate! I just wish it was obtainable in more areas. I have only seen it in big bottles at Whole Foods and a few bars in Mid-Atlantic. Brewers Art beers are all very good and worth the trip to an out of the way place in Baltimore.

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

This was the forth beer we started with at a beer-tasting at my place.

A –Yellow/ fluid but still different than any other beer color I ever laid eyes on, with a nice head.

S – Smell of fresh hop with pepper.

T – There is definitely green pepper in this beer but the beer taste is beautiful fresh and balanced. Is there alcohol in this beer?

M – Very nice, a bubble explosion in your mouth.

O – What a fantastic different beer, a league of its own.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Now this was a different kind of blonde. Gold in color with a massive white foam head. Tastes like pepper and yeast. Has a burning finsh not like alcohol though but like ginger beer. The pepper make for a unique burning feel unlike anything I've ever had before with beer. This doesn't hurt the drinkability which is quite impressive. I think it would accompany tuna or salmon quite nicely

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Big thanks to beandip for hooking me up with this long-sought brew. It is a good one!

A - The beer pours a glowing golden-orange with a voluminous white head, collapsing slowly into delicate yet plentiful lace. It is one of the few times I have seen a brew that was on-par with Duvel in the appearance department.

S - Initially, it is bready and spicy and somewhat alcoholic, just like a Tripel should be. As it airs out, the spiciness takes on the specific notes of green peppercorn, and it seems to suggest a peppery-spicy-herbal-green hoppiness, too.

T - This tastes amazing. It is just delicious, delectable and perfectly balanced for this style, or any style. The spiciness is immediately apparent, though green peppercorn is not readily discernible; it is more like a highly nuanced take on the traditional Belgian Tripel spiciness. Breadiness and alcohol give way to herbal and golden fruity notes as it airs out, there is a tremendous sense of sweet-dry balance, obvious mineral pristine-ness, grassy-leafy bitterness and eventually the appearance of green peppercorn. The booze is not trying to hide, nor should it, as it plays a role in flavor enhancement throughout the brew. This is really a phenomenal take on the Tripel, it utilizes or improves upon all of the key elements for the style.

M - Good and bright, but lacking the expansive creaminess of an authentic Belgian.

D - I can't stress how important it was that I poured this brew carefully into a decanting vessel after 24+ hours of undisturbed upright refrigerated storage. This brew is very sedimentary, and the particulates are particularly perturbing in this case. So it is essential: Do not pour a cloudy brew with this one!

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Tried this unique beer on tap at the Brewer's Art in the beginning of May. The appearance was unremarkable, it could have passed for an american light beer to the untrained eye. The slight gold color signaled its superior flavor.

The aroma was very interesting with spicy notes and hints of the belgian yeasts used to brew it.

The flavor was like nothing else I've had. The peppercorn flavor mixed wonderfully with the spicy hop taste. The strong ale was decetively dry and easy to drink. Very nice beer overall.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Here is another opportunity to toot my own horn. As shappudding will attest to, I am a master of self-promotion. I, too, first had this at the Grey Lodge's Friday the Firkenteenth last year and was utterly blown away by it. I then sent an e-mail to Volker & Co. to tell them about its reception among those in attendance and to suggest that it might be more than a one-off for them. Yesterday, as I entered The Brewer's Art, I noticed a tap with a greenish hue to it and being the curious cat that I am, decided to investigate further. Imagine my joy when I realized what was on! Volker remembered the E, but not the sender, and assured me that it will be an occasional beer, not just a one-off.
It is, at base, a trippel that arrives a beautiful crystal gold color. There is only slight evidence of CO2 bubbles and it has a light, white head. The nose gives off a slight aroma of pepper, but nothing to sneeze at (pun intended). The mouthfeel is light, yet drying and has a pleasant effervescence. It is the finish - Omigawd, the finish! - where the pepper makes its appearance. The pepper suddenly explodes in the sinus cavity like the Alien from the poor yutz's stomach in the original movie. Yow! The pepper is everywhere. Soon I could taste nothing but pepper and resigned myeslf to having another, as everything else would just pale in comparison.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

A - a towering, massive foamy head over top of a finely bubbled clear yellow. This looks nice!
S - light yeasty/spicy tripel ester smell with a bit of peppercorn aroma. A mild balanced smell with nothing out of proportion or too strong.
T - foamy head by itself has a peppery bite. Actual ale is much more balanced with the pepper showing but not overwhelming the underlying solid tripel character. A bit of sweet balances the spicy quite well.
M - crisply/sharply carbonated medium bodied verging towards the lighter side with a slight drying finish. Almost saison like in a very good way.
D - quite easy going refreshing tripel with everything well balanced.
Overall a fine tripel with a little pepper to add a zing.
Would/will have again and highly recommend to tripel fans.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. I was surprised to find this Tripel tonight at a local store that only carries the "big named" brews.

Being a fan of other Brewer's Art brews, I knew I had to pick this one up. Especially since I have a love for tripels.

750ml corked and caged bottle. Beautiful artwork on the label.

Pour into a Delirium Tremens tulip glass.

Appearance was dark golden, slightly cloudy with a HUGE head (looked like a cake) that left lots of lacing in the glass. This might have the largest head I've seen on a beer. Pummels the likes of Duvel and Co.

Smelled sugary sweet, smelled like Belgian yeast.

Tasted malts and yeast with a hint of spice. Alcohol is well hidden for 10%. It says Peppercorn Tripel but I don't taste much Peppercorn (is that a bad thing?). Nice thick feel.

Drinkability? I'm 3/4 through the 750ml bottle and I want another. Honestly one of the best tripel style brews I've ever had. And I've had a lot. I'd put this in the same class with the Gouden Carolus, Karmeliet and Westmalle's of the world. Call me crazy! But I love this beer. This was the last 750ml bottle in the store, but luckily the owners are my neighbors, so I hope to talk them into ordering more.

Great job Brewer's Art. Cheers!

(P.S. - I plan to upload a picture to to the site soon since we don't yet have one)

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Well carbonated, the beer pours with a frothy, billowing, initially four-finger thick, pale tan colored head that creates a structured, varied surface and nice lacing pattern on the sides of the glass as it slowly subsides. The head sits on top of a lightly chill hazed (it was & is reasonably clear when warmer), straw gold colored beer. Aromatic notes of lemon zest, herbal coriander as well as floral aromatics evoking thoughts of lavender, lemon thyme, honeysuckle and varied wild-flowers. Pale malt notes of crushed soda crackers, a honey like malt sweetness and grassy grain. The spice notes play a huge role here, though I wouldn't necessarily guess that it is due to any actual spices used in the recipe. Aromatic notes of ginger, white pepper, fresh cut basil and clove are all noticeable. This has a very nice aroma to it; I really like the mix of spicy / herbal notes, ample lemon character and honey-like malt.

Still quite well carbonated, despite resting in my glass for ten minutes; the beer foams up into a froth as soon as it hits my mouth. Lightly sweet with honey notes as well as a touch of pear, some sweet grape notes, an undercurrent of apricot and some currant flavors. The carbonation adds a sharpness to this brew, even after I have swirled away the excess. The carbonation and ample spice notes provide a sharp piquancy to the finish; it is definitely spicy and very noticeable though if I hadn't known beforehand I would not have guessed there were green peppercorns in this beer. The beer is very floral, it really reminds me of flower nectar and honey. A noticeable, simple sweetness does not keep this beer from being quite light in heft. This has an interesting flavor to it that reminds me particularly of young pickled ginger; the sweetness, spiciness and sharp piquancy all contribute to this. The spiciness, especially in the finish, has a slight tongue numbing effect to it, which is perhaps also accentuated a bit by a slightly hot, warming, higher alcohol note.

A very spicy brew, but the spice character is well integrated and it is hard to even tell that it is just not a product of the fermentation process. This is perhaps, no definitely, a bit sweeter than I would like in a typical Tripel, but the floral / honey sweetness works here in combination with the piquant herbal / spice notes. While perhaps not perfection, you almost can't ask for a better looking brew than this; textured, frothy, well carbonated and with a dynamic, structural master-piece of a head. I am really enjoying this brew, it is as good as I hoped, and better than I expected, and it is growing on me more and more as I work my way through the brew. A perfect appetizer to the meal of seafood Som Tam and sticky rice I am about to construct.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Tasted at the Brewer's Art with dinner on 4/30/04

Appearance: Pale gold with thick white head.

Smell: Yeast and grassy, with whiff of pepper and undercurrents of malt and the faintest hint of alcohol.

Taste: Pale malts and citrus tones right off the bat. Then an almost brioche like note that dissapears under pepper, herbal and grassy hoppy notes and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Dense creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: 10% abv precludes anything besides moderation, not that this is a bad thing.

Note this was enjoyed alongside the Grilled Wild Salmon with Lobster-Vegetable Spring Roll, Potato Puree, Black Truffle Red Wine Syrup. Scrumdiddles.

Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel from The Brewer's Art