Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel - The Brewer's Art

The Brewer's Art visit their website
Maryland, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: orsulacp on 02-14-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

I've heard a lot about this beer, people ask for it in trades, I've purchased several bottles for people but never tried it for myself. Unfortunately I'm not a fan myself.

Beer is yellow with a mild haze, low carbonation, thin head, no retention, no lacing....looks like beer.

Aroma is sweet and peppery, I guess I should have expected it but not really that pleasant.

Beer is thin and mildly sweet, the midpalate is full of pepper. Again this is probably what I should expect but it was too much, it's rough and difficult to drink but I suspect that this was exactly what the brewer wanted. I guess it's not for me.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

hazy golden color with a light head of white that sat on top for only a few moments before settling down to reveal a bare head. Aroma is light, pears, figs, light spices and grainy notes, again nothing shocking or really coming out at me. Warming brings a hint of grapeskin. Taste was soft, mellow, full of grain and light yeast, a hint of pears and apples in the back, but just did not have a punch or a full enough profile for me to really fall for it. Each sip seemed lighter then the one before

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Beige head. Color haze vibrant gold.

Aroma: peppercorn up front. Very dominating. A lot of spice. Yeast.

Taste: peppercorn again up front backed up with a lot of spice. Almost reminds me of mint. Yeasty and bready. Very odd.

Moutheel: dry and spiced. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Ends spiced.

Overall, very unique but not something I want a lot of. Not too true to the style.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Received from AleWatcher in the Blind BIF #4. 750 ml corked bottle, poured into my Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazy deep golden color with an egg shell head of over three fingers. Good mix of small and medium-sized bubbles. Suggestion of lacing to come.

Aromas of black pepper spice. Pepper smells heavy-handed, not subtle. Also some lemon zest, citrus.

Flavor of citrus, funky yeast, and black pepper spice. Light bitterness. Hot alcohol. Minerally. Pepper is really overpowering everything else. Short finish, you guessed it, pepper.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, good level of carbonation. Alcohol warmth.

Good drinkability overall, nice experiment, not sure I'd want to try this again.

3.27/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks to beandip for this bomber that's been resting in the fridge, blocking others of its kind from entering the rotation, for some time. My wife feared the weirdness.

Pours a clear, Belgian yellow with a goose-down pillow of white on top. The smell would make me recoil if I wasn't sitting down...holy crap. I'm not sure what happened to the green peppercorns in the liquifying process, but it doesn't smell good. Like something stale. Almost urine, but not quite. Maybe cat urine. Really, really bad. Makes me afraid.

Green Peppercorn Tripel tastes a lot better than it smells, thank Ares. The green peppercorns are rampant. Running wild. In packs over the plains. The tripel is underneath, but it's overwhelmed quickly. There might be some pepper, or green apple peel, or something else, but who would know. The peppercorns block out the sun & suck the oxygen out of the room.

Not a bad beer, but really frickin' weird one. And the smell. Bad smell. The rest of the beer is actually pretty good, but having it waft up the nasal passages during each swill definitely detracts from the experience.

EDIT: OK, as my wife turned up her nose & I'm 2/3 of the way through the bomber, this has grown on me a bit, especially in the drinkability department. Bumpin' it up!

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Slightly hazy light gold. The head was tremendous and almost entirely filled the first glass I poured.

S - ....Strange. The green peppercorn was most of the aroma, with slight hints of Belgian spice. Very hard to rate because it's just so odd.

T - The first taste wasn't much except for the green peppercorns. As it warmed up it was spice and the belgian tripel flavor really comes through.

M/D - Mouthfeel was rough, had a similarity to pop rocks. I wouldn't call this drinkable, but certainly unique.

3.41/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle poured into my Darkness glass...Not quite a gusher but a big pop with a slow crawl. Huge carbonation as I'm only able to pour about three ounces of beer and I get about nine fingers of head. The head is nice, pretty and fluffy tope; sick lacing. The beer is a nice honey gold. A little less head would have been nice, but not sure how this could look any better...The aroma is a bit much for me as its dominated by pepper, of the black variety, not sure I or anyone could tell the difference of a green peppercorn, but it sounds cooler, right? Trying desperately to pull anything else out but the pepper and I can't! Not the note that should be dominating your beer. I actually like the pepper of it, just too much, needs to be 1/10th of that level...The taste tones down the pepper on the front and gives off some nice floral and honey notes that I quite enjoy. However 2/3's of the way through the pepper makes a come back, especially on the swallow. Still too much for me, but an interesting twist. As I drink it more and it warms slightly better. Again not bad just too much pepper.

Top five pepper beer I've had, but needs more restraint before its entirely drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

I was happily surprised to see this on tap at the Brewer's Art (May '06) and ordered one up. It looked great: a nice clear/gold color with a few bubbles here and there. The alcohol came through in the nose, as well as a bit of the pepper. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, and the alcohol comes on strong. It could use a bit more carbonation. The taste had a bit of pepper, but I was expecting much more. Hops dominated, and the peppercorn was more like an afterthought. An enjoyable beer (I was actually glad the pepper wasn't overwhelming), but you couldn't drink too many of these with the high ABV.

3.47/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a pale gold with significant haze. Aroma is sweet malt, some strawberry esters, and some peper notes form the yeast. Peppercorns are not apparent in the aroma. Flavor is a sweet tripel with a little too much fusels, but an interesting complexity from the green peppercorns. Aftertaste has nice peppercorn character, but the fusels come through again. I split this bottle, and I'm glad I did, it tasted real good, but I think much more would give me a headache from the fusels.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a Cigar City Snifter.

Pours a clear glowing gold with a white head that fades to a slight haze and ring. Aromas are fairly typical for a Tripel, lots of banana and clove, but not as much peppercorn as I'd hoped. Taste is a similar let-down, lots of banana, malt, and clove with a slightly spicy pepper sensation. Mouthfeel is fairly slick, with a medium-full body and decent carbonation. Overall a solid Tripel, but the main draw (peppercorns) is sadly absent.

3.57/5  rDev -12.3%

A - Hazy light orange copper color with a big, fluffy, whitish, long lasting head. Lots of lacing left throughout.

S - Spicy peppercorns, sweet pils malts, with a big fruity estery character. Light alcohol is pleasant.

F/M - Mostly just peppercorns up front, with a sweet pils malt and fruity ester profile struggling to make its way to the front. The flavors start and finish with peppercorns. Moderate bitterness with a dry finish. Medium bodied with moderately high carbonation. Lingering (you guessed it) peppercorn flavor.

D - Wow. Spicy peppercorns are way overpowering and dominate every aspect of this beer, making it quite a challenge to finish the glass. Otherwise, dry and a little bit refreshing.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

750 ml corked and caged bottle into several glasses.

Pours a fairly clear gold, with several huge foamy fingers of bright-white head. This stays rich and frothy, leaving massive foamy swathes of lace behind. The aroma is floral up front, with the green peppercorn really jumping out as this warms, along with some underlying notes of sweet fruit, bread, and yeast.

The taste is VERY sweet with fruit and bready sugars, along with a fairly light hop presence. This is pretty assertive with the yeast, finishing very dry with a touch of heat from the peppercorns. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a softer and easier carbonation that then sits on top of a much thicker and stickier feel. Alcohol is mostly well hid, just a

I liked the peppercorn element of this but it was nearly drown out by all of that overly sweet and borderline cloying stickiness at times. I've had this on draft a couple of times and it was much better than this bottled version.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to Kegatron for sharing this 750ml bottle on 2/13/10.

A - Poured a clear golden body with some gritty particulates suspended throughout and mammoth three-finger crown of bubbly froth that diminished to a quarter inch of retention and deposited foamy lace all over the glass.

S - Sweet aroma with a pronounced peppercorn presence, resulting in a spicy character. Yeast offers fleshy fruit esters akin to apple and pear. Aside from the spiciness, there is also a hint of candi sugars.

T - Peppercorns are a bit more prominent in the aroma than the flavor. While there is a touch of heat from the peppercorns in the backend, ultimately this is quite a sweet Tripel with a sugary malt backbone.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation and an oily texture, resulting in a slick mouthfeel overall. Finishes with a hint of heat from the peppercorn infusion.

D - Tasty Tripel with some heat and spicy, peppery character. Overall, I found it to be a bit too sweet for the style (and considering this was brewed with peppercorns). Still, this was a nice introduction to Brewer's Art, a brewery that has eluded me thus far.

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

drank on 12.2.09 at the Fry's house.

The pour was very nice - a super huge head the was frothy and off white in color. the beer itself was hazy and yellow with tan undertones. nice lacing appeared as the head dissipated. the smell was light and malty, some slight yeast but not much else in there. a bit dissapointed in the smell.

taste was ok. there really isn't much peppercorn in my opinion, very slight and subtle. just a light malty taste overall. mouthfeel was crisp but finished soft.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

I do love me some peppercorn beers. This one has peppercorn written all over it. The nose has some Belgian yeast banana-y esters, more so than the taste. Sweet malt and banana flavors are balanced by peppery spice and alcohol. In the end, it's over-carbonated and it needs food, but if you like peppercorn, and weird beers, it's worth a try.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

750ml corked bottle. Opens with a loud pop and pours a hazy sunrise yellow/orange with a two finger white creamy, bubble head. Lots of active carbonation rises up with good lacing. Aromas start out with crisp light grain malts along with fruity, citric accents. There's a spicy, earthy yeast presence along with a noticeable peppercorn element as well. A bit mellow overall from what I was expecting.

First sip brings a crisp malt upfront along with a mix of light fruity flavors. Nice citric accents that move into a yeasty spiciness with clove accents. The pepper is there and brings a mellow spice kick, but it is not as forward as I expected. Flows down with a nice bitterness and a spicy yeast kick. Quite malt forward.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, while still being smooth and creamy with good fast moving carbonation. Overall, an easy drinking brew, however I was hoping for more of a peppery, spicy kick out of this one personally. Glad I was able to sample it. Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for the trade.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

I had this from a 750ml bottle.

Poured a medium and cloudy golden / yellow color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas of yeast, spices, and fruity. Tastes of spices, caramel, fruits, pepper and some candi sugar sweentess.

Notes from and tasted around: 12/17/07

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Received in a trade from Lunch.

Consumed 4/20/2010 - reviewed from notes.

Pours a hazy golden color with a huge billowy head. The bubbles look loose, and leave a nice little web of lace on the glass. A nice looking beer. The smell brings to mind apple peels and bready yeast, with a hint of grass and spice. The apple peel smell dominates. I'm also not sure of exactly what a green peppercorn tastes or smells like - so I'm not sure if I can spot it well. The taste is initially sweet and malty, a little dusty from the yeast, and tart with some notes of apple. There's alittle spice and burn as you swallow, that almost makes me want to sneeze. The body is a nice medium-full, with quite lively carbonation. Really despite the way it finishes bone dry, it has a nice thickness to it. It's a pretty nice beer, pretty strong though, I had to give up the last half of it so I wouldn't go too far, but it's a good tripel, with a very interesting level of spice.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

The beer pours a clear gold with a slightly orange tint under a nice white head that leaves lace clinging to the glass. I didn't decant carefully enough so I have some yeast floating around with the streaming bubbles, it looks kind of like a snow globe. The nose has a little alcohol with some light pepper and a sweet maltiness. There is a sweetness that I get first, I can't quite place it and then there are some grassy hops and I get the peppercorn with the finish. The sweetness fades away as the bottle warms up, which makes the hops and pepper come out a little more. The mouthfeel is medium and it leaves a sugary film in my mouth. I'm not really enjoying the film. Overall I like drinking this, I like the look, the smell and the taste, but the sugary film is a bit too much for me.

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Food and Friends in Philly.
Pours a brilliantly clear light golden color with a huge fluffy white head that slowly dissipates to a cap on top. Smells of pepper mostly, with hints on yeasty esters and a touch of sweet honey like malt. The flavor is heavy on the pepper with a sweet bready honey like malt flavor and a bit of spicy yeasty phenols to round it all out. Medium body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a sweet slick bubbly mouthfeel. Nice beer I've been wanting to try this forever. Its very heavy on the pepper, I felt that a bit more sweetness might have helped to counter that a bit but it was good as is.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

I had the great pleasure of having this at Grey Lodge's Friday the Firkinteenth. A lot of other people must have as well because it kicked in a half hour. This was an incredibly interesting beer. Adding peppercorn to beer is definitely an interesting idea and they pulled it off quite well.

Let me go over the negatives first: no discernable smell. The taste more than makes up for it. So while this will affect its overall rating, don't be fooled. I don't care. The overall rating will not reflect the actual overall quality of this beer. The beer didn't have much of a head, but it was pre-poured and crazy inside so I didn't concern myself with that either.

Now the positives:
It had a beautiful peach color. It tasted wonderful. The peppercorn was not overwhelming but seemed to be sprinkled throughout. It has a nice tingly presence which complemented and didn't overwhelm the other flavors. Of course, it was the flavor and presence you noticed most.

Someone mentioned that this was a "sneaky" beer. That is very much the case. I was shocked that this was 10.0% abv. Very shocking. I couldn't taste it. And it hides it well. And that is why it gets high marks for drinkability.

Brewer's Art is continually impressing me with their beers, which are unique, interesting and high quality. They are to be commended for another great beer.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Pour is lightly pale golden yellow with a bubbly tan head. The nose is nice, yeast up front with a light pepper behind it and some nice lemon, very juicy,with a solid citrus orange hop in back. The taste is much more hoppy and sweet. Yeast is still pronounced in front, great peppery spice behind but the hops are very syrupy and juicy and don't transition well. Light lemon zest then orange citrus and a blast of tangerine with a moderate bitterness in the finish. Creamy medium body with a soft feel and solid level of carbonation offering a semi dry finish.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

750 bottle picked up at state line liquor in Maryland. Poured into a wine glass

A: faint yellow/orange color. Nice fluffy head that lasts. Some good lacing.

S: the peppercorn comes through in the smell. Some yeast, but not a lot else.

T: get bubble gum and candi sugar. Some apple and pear and a nice alcohol finish.

M: on the creamier side for a tripel.

A nice beer. I would definitely have it again. Not mind blowing, but a good American tripel.

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

Cork caged bottle...Duvel shaped glass

Eyes: Wow huge head ...3 fingers plus ...bright gold, clear as day.
Some one queue Don Ho...."Tiny bubbles..."
Lace...lace ....lace
Nose: The least of this beers fine characteristics. Slight peppery
in the first 5-7 minutes...breathing into sweet malt and
tropical fruit.
Tongue: Sweet malt..vanilla ..with some balance from yeast flavors and
something else ....peppercorns ? although they are
indistinguishable from being balanced by hops.
Texture: For all the bubbles...it dosn't explode effervescence in
the mouth....fine either way
Mouth happiness: Put it on the menu at a fine restaurant and I will
order it.

It's young yet ....one more bottle that I will try to give a year's cellaring

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orange.
Smell: not really noticeable with the glasses the brewer served in. Some grape.
Taste. Very light grape, mellon maybe. Honey. Peppercorn, alcohol aftertaste. Slight burn.

This is really good. It's certainly not in the particulars, but the total experience is very enjoyable. It's smooth at first, with a bite at the end. I would get this again.
Oddly, the bottle states it's a blonde ale.and it's closer to that than tripel. I will say this, of you let warm, the grape smell and taste really comes out. However, it is surprising much much better cold.

Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel from The Brewer's Art