Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel - The Brewer's Art

Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn TripelBrewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel

The Brewer's Art visit their website
Maryland, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: orsulacp on 02-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brewer's Art Green Peppercorn Tripel Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml Corked and caged bottle poured into a wine goblet - 2007 bottling - Fridge temp

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange beer with a towering 3" off-white head. Great retention with lots of soapy lace.

Smell: Rich malt aroma, with some European hop aromas. Belgian yeast is spicy and somewhat earthy.

Taste: Creamy malt flavor is chewy but refreshing. There is a fresh, grassy green taste that lingers into drying pepper flavor. Finish is dry and spicy. Complex & flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Rich and full bodied with plenty of spice. Alcohol is present and warming.

Drinkability: Awesome. Another complex tripel from the United Staes. Spicy and full of flavor. Would pair well with summer foods.

Risser09, Jun 13, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: pours a pale yellowish orange color. One finger head falls to a spotty surface covering. No lacing here.

Smell: fruit sweetness, pepper, other spices, and a bit of yeast.

Taste: sharp pepper flavor are most noticeble, but work very well with the ripe fruit, apples, honey, and candied sugar sweetness. Yeast comes through nicely along with some orange and lemon citrus. Alcohol is noticeable but quiet in the overall flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout with some dryness in the finish. Long peppery and sweet aftertaste. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: depsite the high alcohol, this was quite quaffable - so I needed to remind myself to slow down. Great flavorful beer worth trying.

Gavage, Jun 06, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Luminous lemon with a light sprinkling of fine yeast and a Belgianesque amount of bubbles. Speaking of Belgium, any brewer from that country would be proud as a peacock to call the spectacular crown of alabaster colored froth his own. It's sticky, incredibly rocky as it melts and is beginning to decorate the glass with the finest frosting imaginable. The second and third pours look even better, if that's possible.

My favorites tripels are those that are both golden fruity and peppery. Brewer's Art has seen to the latter by brewing this ale with peppercorns. Once the foam finally relents... the aroma is outstanding! It's more earthy and spicy than most (by design), giving it a tripel-saison sort of vibe.

This is the sort of beer that I'll need to live with for a while, see how it changes over time, before making the final call. First, there are no big surprises. This is exactly how a tripel brewed with green peppercorns ought to taste.

Positives include a ripe apple and pear fruitiness, a wonderful combination of sweet-bitter-tangy-spicy, and an ideal amount of green peppercorn flavor with an ideal amount of heat. That is, low-to-medium. Negatives include a lack of true Belgian yeastiness, a wee lack of depth and the fact that the beer, sans peppercorns, probably wouldn't be considered among the world's best tripels. It's good beer, but it isn't great beer.

It doesn't seem fair to compare all tripels to the classics, but that's the way I have always done it. Given that, the mouthfeel falls a fraction short as well. It's enjoyable, but needs to be more delicate, more creamy and especially more expansive.

In the end, my sky-high expectations for Green Peppercorn Tripel were almost realized. In retrospect, I've probably been a little too hard on this uniquely delicious ale. Brewer's Art really does have something special here.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 27, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for this one.

Poured from a bottle a clear orange-yellow with a thick and foamy white head that held up for quite a while.

Aroma of Belgian yeast, sweet malt, lemon, a bit of earthiness, and of course, peppercorns.

Slightly sour upfront with a note of bitterness in the finish.Tastes of sweet malt, lemon, grapefruit, and peppercorns. The alcohol is present but doesn't overwhelm at all.

Medium mouthfeel and drying with a zippy carbonation.

Who would have thought that beer and peppercorns could work so well together. An enjoyable tripel and quite easy to drink as well.

Monkeyknife, Apr 22, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A: A bit over carbonated but pours a nice golden color with an excessively thick white head. There is a bit of sediment in the glass as it is a live beer.

S: Thick sweet malt with some green apple and a touch of spice. Leads me to believe it will be very sweet but tripels usually do that to me.

T: Moderate sweetness but not what I was expecting magnitude-wise. There is a touch of spice but I can't directly taste green peppercorns until the aftertaste and then it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. I'm pretty sure I get that pepper though.

M: Medium bodied but with fairly low carbonation given the head it had. It has a thick syrupy quality.

D: Not a bad triple all around. It is actually a bit less spicy than some others I've had.

drseamus, Mar 25, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This bottled offering from Brewer's Art pours a hazy, pale gold with a huge bright white head. Lots of lacing, both patches and rings, stick to the glass. The head fades slowly to a ring and thin sheet, but never completely disappears.

The aroma is full of spices and yeast with a strong presence of the green peppercorns. The pepper is very fresh smelling. There is also a hint of lemon and another sweet fruity smell.

The flavor is zesty, almost biting at times. Spices up front with the sweetness running in and out throughout the whole experience. Pepper and bitterness linger in the aftertaste. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is a unique blend of crisp and carbonated with a silky creamy feel. Almost a little oily (think hop oils) after swallowing. Great addition to an already good beer. The only thing that keeps this from having 4.5's across the board for me is the 10% abv. Delicious beer you should seek out and try.

Imstillthegman, Mar 16, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

A corked and caged 750 mL bottle purchased at Shawan Liquors in December.

A: The tripel has a pale color, heavy on the yellow hue to the point that it looks like apple juice at times. A finger of head emerged on pour and clings sporadically around the glass.

S: The aroma is spicy, driven by the distinctive Belgian yeast, touches of anise and flowers. Oh yeah, the pepper is stronger than normal, as though a fresh pepepr mill topped off the glass.

T: A sip reveals lots of spices on the front of the tongue. The sweetness is unfocused, running the gamut from sweet honey to bitter licorice. The green peppercorns are sharp, very zesty and biting on the tongue. Long after the sip is gone, the tongue still feels the heat.

M: The sweetness upfront is a bit much but I suppose that it is needed to keep the peppercorns in check. The finish is the highlight.

D: The alcohol is limited, taste-wise, but after a while it really hits you. The peppery zest is a taste that I'd love to see more brewers use.

akorsak, Mar 10, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Who knew? Peppercorns in beer?

A: It poured a hazy gold with an airy tall head.

S: Light spice, sweet malt, some hops with a touch of the green peppercorns. The peppercorns were subtle which was to my delight. Some brewers force the namesake overpowering your senses.

T: Sweet malt with some fruity notes. The hops are there but very light. The peppercorns are a nice touch. They gave this triple a refreshing finish. I think I even tasted a hit of white grapefruit too.

M: Very nice on the tongue. Plenty of bubbles to keep it moving.

D: Very drinkable. Easy on the palate.

mfhlucky13, Mar 05, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Had a small sampling of this in the bar one day while talking to the brewer, Volker Stewart. Very nice guy who makes some very very nice beers. So, naturally, I was psyched when I found out they were releasing bottles of the stuff.

Poured a cloudy golden nectar, with big sticky frothy foam on top that had serious longevity. Appeared bright gold when held up to the light. Lots of carbonation and caked lace. A good looking beer, to say the least. The nose was Belgian lemony goodness. Malty with light spices. Airy, but floral, with a faint hint of pepper. The taste was filled with sweet citrus up front, peppery hops in the middle, and a lingering bitterness in the finish with a peppery aftertaste. Mouthfeel was fizzy but smooth.

This is a fantastic and very easy-drinking beer. It's fullbodied, but also light. Makes a great beer in summer and winter alike. What I appreciate about this beer is that the Brewer's Art has taken a classic style, the Belgian Tripel, and given it their own Baltimore flavoring. A variation on a theme. And they've done quite well it, I might add. A must-try for visitors to Baltimore or the Maryland/DC area.

Atlas1, Feb 20, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a pale gold with significant haze. Aroma is sweet malt, some strawberry esters, and some peper notes form the yeast. Peppercorns are not apparent in the aroma. Flavor is a sweet tripel with a little too much fusels, but an interesting complexity from the green peppercorns. Aftertaste has nice peppercorn character, but the fusels come through again. I split this bottle, and I'm glad I did, it tasted real good, but I think much more would give me a headache from the fusels.

beerking1, Feb 02, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

mymrnngjckt must have ran out of Butternut's because he hooked me up with this one...and I'm glad he did. Thanks Kevin. I don't know that I've ever gone back and edited a review more than I have with this beer. What a crazy complex brew.

Pours a rich golden color with a slight chill haze and a booming, rocky off-white head. Head doesn't want to quit, and keeps a nice lace and leaves a ton of stick.

Smell is super fruity and is just really exceptional. Notes of lemon and maybe some apricot, along with some spicy and yeasty notes and a nice underlying sweetness.

The smell got me really psyched to taste this one, but the taste is quite different. It's tasty and it really started to grow on me the deeper I got into the bottle. At first sip it doesn't seem as sweet and fruity as the smell indicated. There is a real boozy and sort of oaky flavor to it that comes on strong midway through and dominates into the finish. Before that there is a nice sweetness and some fruity notes, but they really get swallowed up by what is a really odd, bitter and oaky flavor. Then as the beer warms that oaky flavor, which I don't know where I'm getting because I'd swear this is barrel aged even though I know it's not, gives way to a more peppery and spicy flavor. These must be a product of the green peppercorns, although I can't say that I've ever sat around munching on green peppercorns. So who knows. A nice honey like sweetness pokes its head back up more and more as the beer warms, as well. This is pretty boozy, too. Very interesting beer. Really complex and gives your tastebuds quite a ride. At different points I really loved the flavor, and at other points not so much. I'm getting repetitive here but man is this one complex brew, and it really did start to grow on me.

Mouthfeel is nearly full bodied and is very creamy, nice and smooth. Moderate level of carbonation is appropriate and it's soft and smooth on the palate.

This is a really interesting and very unique tripel. I enjoyed it quite a bit although I don't think this is one that I would drink with any frequency. I'd have it again if I saw it on tap, and I'd have another bottle if I found one, but I think maybe a 750ml bottle would be better shared. This is definitely worth a try. Thanks again Kevin!

number1bum, Jan 27, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased the bottle from the Wine Source for $8 (I think they want $12 at Brewer's Art). Purchased so that I could enjoy their goodness at home and help support a local that is feeling their way into the bottle business.
Absolutely beautiful beer. Pours a sunsetting yellow gold with a huge head. Even after it calms down, it has tight, thick white even bubbles along the top that leave excellent lacing. Aroma of starfruit and yeast.
Taste was a mouthfull of goodness. Flavors bounced from malty chalky to fruity, all with a hint of peppery finish. Mouthfeel was smooth, enhanced even more so with the zesty carbonation. Overall, another excellent brew from my favorite brewpub.

Umbra, Jan 23, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Well carbonated, the beer pours with a frothy, billowing, initially four-finger thick, pale tan colored head that creates a structured, varied surface and nice lacing pattern on the sides of the glass as it slowly subsides. The head sits on top of a lightly chill hazed (it was & is reasonably clear when warmer), straw gold colored beer. Aromatic notes of lemon zest, herbal coriander as well as floral aromatics evoking thoughts of lavender, lemon thyme, honeysuckle and varied wild-flowers. Pale malt notes of crushed soda crackers, a honey like malt sweetness and grassy grain. The spice notes play a huge role here, though I wouldn't necessarily guess that it is due to any actual spices used in the recipe. Aromatic notes of ginger, white pepper, fresh cut basil and clove are all noticeable. This has a very nice aroma to it; I really like the mix of spicy / herbal notes, ample lemon character and honey-like malt.

Still quite well carbonated, despite resting in my glass for ten minutes; the beer foams up into a froth as soon as it hits my mouth. Lightly sweet with honey notes as well as a touch of pear, some sweet grape notes, an undercurrent of apricot and some currant flavors. The carbonation adds a sharpness to this brew, even after I have swirled away the excess. The carbonation and ample spice notes provide a sharp piquancy to the finish; it is definitely spicy and very noticeable though if I hadn't known beforehand I would not have guessed there were green peppercorns in this beer. The beer is very floral, it really reminds me of flower nectar and honey. A noticeable, simple sweetness does not keep this beer from being quite light in heft. This has an interesting flavor to it that reminds me particularly of young pickled ginger; the sweetness, spiciness and sharp piquancy all contribute to this. The spiciness, especially in the finish, has a slight tongue numbing effect to it, which is perhaps also accentuated a bit by a slightly hot, warming, higher alcohol note.

A very spicy brew, but the spice character is well integrated and it is hard to even tell that it is just not a product of the fermentation process. This is perhaps, no definitely, a bit sweeter than I would like in a typical Tripel, but the floral / honey sweetness works here in combination with the piquant herbal / spice notes. While perhaps not perfection, you almost can't ask for a better looking brew than this; textured, frothy, well carbonated and with a dynamic, structural master-piece of a head. I am really enjoying this brew, it is as good as I hoped, and better than I expected, and it is growing on me more and more as I work my way through the brew. A perfect appetizer to the meal of seafood Som Tam and sticky rice I am about to construct.

Gueuzedude, Jan 01, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Purchased and shared two bottles with friends in Columbia, MD.

A- Pours deep gold but cloudy, with a thick white head.

S- Very spicy, the green pepper is there, but it is subtle.

T- Very surprising, the pepper is very muted, a good warming triple, a lot of Belgian spiciness.

M- Very carbonated, with a medium body.

D- An excellent beer to finish a session, refreshing and surprising.

cichief, Dec 23, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Cork caged bottle...Duvel shaped glass

Eyes: Wow huge head ...3 fingers plus ...bright gold, clear as day.
Some one queue Don Ho...."Tiny bubbles..."
Lace...lace ....lace
Nose: The least of this beers fine characteristics. Slight peppery
in the first 5-7 minutes...breathing into sweet malt and
tropical fruit.
Tongue: Sweet malt..vanilla ..with some balance from yeast flavors and
something else ....peppercorns ? although they are
indistinguishable from being balanced by hops.
Texture: For all the bubbles...it dosn't explode effervescence in
the mouth....fine either way
Mouth happiness: Put it on the menu at a fine restaurant and I will
order it.

It's young yet ....one more bottle that I will try to give a year's cellaring

HombreWing, Dec 11, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

The beer pours a clear gold with a slightly orange tint under a nice white head that leaves lace clinging to the glass. I didn't decant carefully enough so I have some yeast floating around with the streaming bubbles, it looks kind of like a snow globe. The nose has a little alcohol with some light pepper and a sweet maltiness. There is a sweetness that I get first, I can't quite place it and then there are some grassy hops and I get the peppercorn with the finish. The sweetness fades away as the bottle warms up, which makes the hops and pepper come out a little more. The mouthfeel is medium and it leaves a sugary film in my mouth. I'm not really enjoying the film. Overall I like drinking this, I like the look, the smell and the taste, but the sugary film is a bit too much for me.

orsulacp, Dec 07, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I shared this one with Tenderbranson69. Picked the bottle up at Well's in Md. Decanted cool into a goblet.

A - A pillowy white 3.5 finger head pushes itself out of the glass's perimeter. A clear golden ale w/ streaming carbonation rising and a goodly amount of lace follows.

S - Spicy dry and alcoholic aromas combine w/ a gentle hop and sugar scent. The alcoholic dry ester prevails in the aroma.

M - Nice peppery dryness - hard to determine if it is completely yeast or if some of the spice is in the peppercorn. Light sweetness and full carbonation provide a very pleasing mouthfeel.

T - Dry, nutty and peppery flavor w/ a sugary crispness and green earthy pepper notes that wait until 3/4 of the way throught the goblet to become assertive. Very nutty dry w/ lightly acidic flavor. Eventually the booziness becomes warm and mellows the whole blend of flavor.Spicy flavors that add to the intensity are noted in the finish.

D - Very good triple for drinkability. This is one of the better offerings from Brewer's Art that is now in bottle format. I could drink this by the case, but the 9+% is less than great for drinkability, it will sneak up on you if you aren't careful, respect this one. One of my favorite American versions -plenty of spice yet a pleasing balance of malt sweetness Bravo! Brewer's Art.

Slatetank, Nov 26, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Corked and caged bottle picked up at Brewer's Art. This is really a good looking beer. Pours a bright golden color with lots of head. In fact the head kept growing for a minute or so, eventually standing 1/2 inch over the top of the glass (Chimay goblet.) Palate cleansing carbonation remains till the end. Very nice, but faint bready aroma. The taste is only slightly sweet, with a fruity background. A light peppery note comes up in the after taste.

I am glad I picked up three bottles of this one. It's very well-done and a pleasure to drink.

I don't think it properly belongs in the Herbed/Spiced beer category on BA. The Brewer's Art beer menu does list this as a Belgian style Tripel. I did submit an update.

davidt, Nov 26, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. I was surprised to find this Tripel tonight at a local store that only carries the "big named" brews.

Being a fan of other Brewer's Art brews, I knew I had to pick this one up. Especially since I have a love for tripels.

750ml corked and caged bottle. Beautiful artwork on the label.

Pour into a Delirium Tremens tulip glass.

Appearance was dark golden, slightly cloudy with a HUGE head (looked like a cake) that left lots of lacing in the glass. This might have the largest head I've seen on a beer. Pummels the likes of Duvel and Co.

Smelled sugary sweet, smelled like Belgian yeast.

Tasted malts and yeast with a hint of spice. Alcohol is well hidden for 10%. It says Peppercorn Tripel but I don't taste much Peppercorn (is that a bad thing?). Nice thick feel.

Drinkability? I'm 3/4 through the 750ml bottle and I want another. Honestly one of the best tripel style brews I've ever had. And I've had a lot. I'd put this in the same class with the Gouden Carolus, Karmeliet and Westmalle's of the world. Call me crazy! But I love this beer. This was the last 750ml bottle in the store, but luckily the owners are my neighbors, so I hope to talk them into ordering more.

Great job Brewer's Art. Cheers!

(P.S. - I plan to upload a picture to to the site soon since we don't yet have one)

Chodite, Nov 24, 2007

A million thanks go to johnmichaelsen for the opportunity to try this unique beer. John brought a growler up to Lancaster this week and I had more than my share.
A bizarre flavor but interesting and worth trying.

Appearance: Pours a clear gold with a small head from the growler.

Smell: a gentle aroma containing sweet malts and a touch of pepper. There is a green grassy element and a bit of alcohol showing through as well.

Taste: It tasted green young and fresh with a pepper note on the aftertaste but nothing overpowering. The flavor seemed led by a sweetness and then a yeast attribute giving it some fruit flavors with the spices on top and the 'greenness' is what clung to my cheeks. Was there a hop presence? It is unclear the distinction between peppercorn and hop in the finish.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: A smooth medium body beer with adequate dry finish for a refreshing feel low in carbonation and high in alcohol it is a fairly easy drinker.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jun 03, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +14%

Tried this unique beer on tap at the Brewer's Art in the beginning of May. The appearance was unremarkable, it could have passed for an american light beer to the untrained eye. The slight gold color signaled its superior flavor.

The aroma was very interesting with spicy notes and hints of the belgian yeasts used to brew it.

The flavor was like nothing else I've had. The peppercorn flavor mixed wonderfully with the spicy hop taste. The strong ale was decetively dry and easy to drink. Very nice beer overall.

DIPAbrewer, Jun 01, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

For what it's worth, I'd be interested in knowing why this beer is "retired." The beer menu at BA indicates this is a seasonal beer, one they put on from time to time. I happened to have the beer at Max's, but the website inidicates that it's currently available at the brewpub as well. Whatever.

I had not had this beer in some years, so I was curious to see what the current version tastes like, and whether or not they had tweaked the recipe. Doesn't appear so, as the beer was as excellent as ever.

The beer pours a brilliant yellow gold color. The beer has an impressive head, with good foam retention and good lacing. I didn't get a lot out of the nose, just a hint of ginger and earthiness. However, it's not the least off putting, and I could't wait to drink it. On the palate one gets honey, butter, ranier cherries and melon. There is just a hint of heat from the peppercorns, and they act almost like hops, imparting a bit of bitterness and dryness on the finish, keeping the beer refreshing to drink. The finish is sweet, smooth and long, and I have to say the abv. is amazingly well hidden.

This is just an outstanding effort from BA, a trippel version I prefer to the regular line-up cerberus trippel. I have to say that I am very glad this beer is anything BUT retired.

John_M, May 22, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

huge thanks to dickinsonbeer for the trade. Paul got this from the Brewer's Art guys at Cooperstown and he bottled up a bomber for me...
Appears a transparent light gold with small bubbly CO2 bubbles that rise to the top. A 2 finger foamy white top slowly fades out. Tons of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of candy sugar, pils malt with light caramel, bready Belgian yeast, and mild spice.
Taste is of the aromas with a definite candy sugar presence that makes it worth while. Not too much of the peppercorn presence as anticipated but there is a mild spiciness detected albeit probably from the yeast strain.
Mouthfeel is sugary smooth, medium bodied, fading into a well done tripel. A delicious sugary goodness lingers.
I really enjoyed this beer. I shared it with sckressler and he remarked on how the peppery notes were toned down dramatically since he last had this at one of The Grey Lodge's Firkenteenth's last year. Perhaps a tweak in the recipe?

weeare138, Aug 14, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

I was happily surprised to see this on tap at the Brewer's Art (May '06) and ordered one up. It looked great: a nice clear/gold color with a few bubbles here and there. The alcohol came through in the nose, as well as a bit of the pepper. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, and the alcohol comes on strong. It could use a bit more carbonation. The taste had a bit of pepper, but I was expecting much more. Hops dominated, and the peppercorn was more like an afterthought. An enjoyable beer (I was actually glad the pepper wasn't overwhelming), but you couldn't drink too many of these with the high ABV.

shivtim, Jun 04, 2006
4.08/5  rDev 0%

This beer is hefty. It tops at 11% and is a complex, challenging ale. It has a light head and is wisely served in a small glass. You don't need very much. I got through one and a half of these before it was pretty much time to call it an evening.

It begins tasting very similar to the Cerberus Tripel but the peppercorns come out on the back end. Sweet, though not cloyingly so, but spicy as hell and anything but smooth. Mind you, this isn't a bad thing but if ever there was a beer to be marked: "not for the faint of heart," this is it.

It appears randomly, I had mine on April 10th 2005 for my birthday with the boys.

altarego, Oct 26, 2005