Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Brewer's Art Charm City Sour Cherry Ale - The Brewer's Art

Brewer's Art Charm City Sour Cherry Ale
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

pDev: n/a
The Brewer's Art visit their website
Maryland, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: GeoffFromSJ on 05-26-2004

3.77/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Went very well with food. Nice complex brew with decent balance of a lighter Belgian brown with some up front astringent tart cherry skin flavors.
By itself though the tart became more bitter. OK with hops but not what I'm looking for with fruit.
Still heads above most breweries who don't really have a clue.
Brewer's Art people know their beer, and make really great beers. No one should expect that every person will jump on board with every flavor profile. Get this beer... But I'd suggest you get it with some great food...ie Go to Brewers. (547 characters)

3.21/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was very disappointed with this one. Do not call it a sour with only cherries in it. The little bit of sour comes from that. If they didn't have sour in the name I would have rated it higher. There is a little tartness coming from an actual nice cherry taste. I am not sure cherries really worked that well with this. (324 characters)

4.28/5  rDev n/a

Went to Brewer's Art for the first time and tried both seasonal options--this one and Tiny Tim. At first I wasn't sure that I was going to like it because the taste IS very tart, at first. Then I realized that my brain/mouth was probably expecting a "fake" cherry taste to come through but the actual flavor is REAL, fresh cherries. Once my brain accepted this new (better) option, I really began to realize that this is a delicious beer. Taste is just a nice, balanced feel/taste of real cherries. I almost wanted to chew. Also beautiful, dark red color. Would definitely try this again.

I wish I liked Brewer's Art more. As I said, this was my first trip but I was very underwhelmed with the service. Food was excellent. I like that they have more affordable "bar food" options. I sat upstairs but it would be nice to at least get some service/help. Bartenders not very helpful. Maybe it was an off night? (909 characters)

3.8/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Brewers Art last night This beer pours a deep burgundy with brownish highlights and a tan head with decent retention. On the nose, this beer is pretty interesting. The base brown beer is apparent, with darker caramel and mild spiciness, but there's a distinct leafy/hoppy component as well. Tart cherries are noticeable and are well-balanced. On the palate, these flavors are replicated, along with a dark brown sugar sweetness. A tannic character is present as well, with cherry skins being the dominant contributor. Light in body with good carbonation and a drying finish that's enhanced by the astringency of the cherries, this beer is solid and drinkable (668 characters)

4.42/5  rDev n/a

Can't believe this hasn't been reviewed more.

Obviously a seasonal, I had this on tap at Brewer's Art in the basement bar. Pours a nice burgundy to brown color, minimal head.

This year's edition is purported to be among BA's best and I found it thoroughly addicting. They use a different cherry varietal and it offers a sort of tartness, slightly sugary and sweet but in just the right balance so as not to go all candylike on us.

The base beer is exceptional even without the cherry. Nice sort of Belgian mild funky sourness to it, just a hint at the alcohol present.

Overall a fantastic brew, one way to have a fruit beer but with the Belgian beer experience mixed in. (674 characters)

3.8/5  rDev n/a

Brewer's Art is constantly experimenting and impressing. While I applaud their efforts, this did not wow me. It was solid. It had a nice cherry taste without being sweet. No other flavors stood out which reduced its appeal. It had a nice head which dissipated into a lace. A pretty red-amber color.

Kudos for trying. A solid ale for the summer. (348 characters)

Brewer's Art Charm City Sour Cherry Ale from The Brewer's Art
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.