Brewer's Art Proletary Ale - The Brewer's Art

No picture uploaded.

The Brewer's Art visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  5.00% ABV

After much demand for a seriously dark beer, we
came up with this delicacy. Black, smooth and
easy to drink, this is our beer for the people!
5%abv

(Beer added by: Scoats on 03-10-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Scoats:
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Brewers Arts' "beer for the people" lives up to it's name. It is a wonderful session beer. You have to give Brewers Art credit. For their session beer, they went for a black ale, not something more predictible.

They only make Belgian style beers, so this of course is a "Belgian" Black Ale. Now I can't think of any Belgian black ales to compare it to (wow none at all come to mind), so I can't speak about whether it is or isn't true to style. I can say that is a wonderful beer. Dark, roasty, nicely hoppy and it has Belgian yeast to make things a little interesting, in a way that differenciates it from a schwarzbier (which currently is my favorite style of beer).

My only complaint is that the price is at least 10% to 15% too high for a session beer, as it is priced identical to their triple and double.

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Served on-tap at the Brewer's Art in a long conical shaped glass.

Appearance: Kind of looks like Guinness minus the nitro-tap super dense foam on the top, though it does stick pretty well. Seems opaque in the dark, but there's definitely light coming through that adds some good dark amber color to it.

Smell: Mild dark roasted malts, sweet coffee and chocolate, though you really have to work to find anything else. Seems pretty light.

Taste: Not much up front, but there's a good lighter burst of roasted dark malts, mild coffee and chocolate, though the finish doesn't longer as long as I'd have liked.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery, which makes it even more weird since it's a dark beer and there's an absence of creaminess.

Drinkability: Belgian Porter? Porter? Belgian Dark? An odd hybrid that doesn't seem extremely discernible in some ways. But it's lighter, which would probably fit the bill for some people as sessionable, since it's also pretty dark. I could drink more than one, but I'd prefer more flavor overall.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Served in a stange at the brewpub.

A: The ale is dark, a dark chocolate brown that is amplified in the dimly-light environs of Brewer's Art. Not much head on top of this one.

S: The nose is full of dark malts. The result is a caramel, chocolate and coffee depth that is almost, but not quite, syrupy. That syrupy/non-syrupy distinction is important, as it keeps the ale on the good taste side.

T: The ale is chewy, a nice twist on the Belgian sensibilities. Dark malts, coffee and chocolate and caramel, drive the flavor along with a bready nut flavor. Spicy hops add a nice break to the malty sweetness.

M: I was pleased. It's been several years since I've had this beer and forgot how smooth it was. Brewer's Art really can do no wrong.

D: I had one glass before bolting away for dinner (the place was crowded) but I would have enjoyed another glass or two.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Brewers Art Proletary is a dry nice dark ale. If you like dry, dark beers then you'll love this. I prefer mine to be sweeter.

A: Black colour and good light brown 1 cm head. 4.5

S: Roasty coffee aroma with some grains. 3.5

T: Dry up front into charcoal and some coffee. I prefer darker beers that aren't so dry. 3.5

M: Creamy texture but not overly thick. 3.5

O: The taste gets better the more you drink. 4

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Brewer's Art. Served in a pint glass, this is a dark opaque brown with a good two fingers of coffe colored head, good retention, and excellent lacing. Nose is very faint, a light roast malt and bitter chocolate. Taste is a nice roasty malt with flavors of coffee, vanilla, bitter chocolate, and a slight bitter hop aftertaste. Medium bodied, creamy, with a very fine carbonation level. This is a really great tasting dark ale, almost like a porter, and I'm defintely going to start drinking more of this.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

basically a stout, consumed in the dungeon, reviewed from notes taken early August

a: in a modified pint, dark brown in color with good retention of the khaki head

s: solid roast with a backing light sweetness and perhaps some black malts

m: smooth carbonation on the high side of the light range, body is a lighter medium

t: solid medium roasted barley throughout, earthy hops well matched to the light sweetness of the roasts, again maybe some black malt, finishes with a gentle bitterness and roasty astringency

d: easy

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

1.73/5  rDev -56.2%

Poured into an English pint glass. Really looking forward to this. I've been in Baltimore for almost four years now and haven't been to Brewer's Art until tonight.

3.5 A: Dark as night but really clear. Not a whole lot of head, but maybe that was the bartender's fault. Not too much lacing either. Still, not bad.

3.0 S: Strong coffee aroma. Dark crystal malts. Bready.

1.0 T: This was the worst tasting beer I've ever had in my life. I was hoping that it would magically turn into a Natty Boh or a Schafer. Some aspects were really good. Strong coffee and dark chocolate backbone, but then came the horrible, awful taste of spoiled wine. I had trouble driving it into me.

3.0 M: Medium body. Smooth, but not creamy.

1.0 D: The taste destroys any hope of drinkability.

There is no way in hell this is a Belgian beer. It's a standard (though awful) American stout.

1.83/5  rDev -53.7%

I was initially pretty excited for this beer. Dark and malty on a cool autumn night. but then came the OVERWHELMING AFTERTASTE of stale cigarettes. We have a neighbor next door with a bucket on her deck with all her cigarette butts. Our dog knocked that thing over and my wife and I had to clean it up. That's what this beer ended up tasting like.

I love beer, especially great beer but even with all that, I can pretty much drink anything. I left 3/4 of this pint on the table. Just a shear chore trying to get to the bottom of this glass. I threw in the towel.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

The ale for the masses was a surprise for many reasons. I hadn’t had it before, because I generally inhale the Ozzy and whatever seasonal happens to be on tap. I was looking for something different, after having yet another St. Festivus (I’m trying to drink off the rest of the inventory, so that I can see what wonderful seasonal might be next…) and I just wasn’t in the mood for Resurrection or the pale ale.

Unlike most of their brews, it was served in a slightly curved pint glass—like a small English pint—when most are served in the more trappist style.
Looked just like a fine porter. Very dark brown, almost black, with chestnut highlights. It had a dark tan head that left a hint of bubbles on my top lip and excellent lacing in the glass.
It had a very complex aroma, with malt sweetness mixed with a very faint hint of alcohol, esters and spiciness.
Smooth malty flavor, similar to the smell, I couldn’t help but thinking there were some Munich malts in the bunch. The noble hops were there, but just enough to keep the malts from going crazy. It was simply creamy and delicious. The finish was almost sweet, like the Abbey versions. There was just the right amount of carbonation. This is only a 5% version, so there wasn’t any alcohol warmth to speak of.

If they only bottled their fine creations, I could make them a daily session beer. For now on, they have to stay as a $1.75 happy hour favorite. Unfortunately, the dark color will scare off most of the proletarian folks in this town. Saw a few previous comments about this being a stout. I’m fairly sure that the style in general is quite different depending on the characteristics of the individual breweries.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at the Brewers Art Brew Pub.

Poured a dark brown color with a small sized off white head. Aromas were on the lighter side and consided of light chocolate with some nuttiness. Tasets of the same light chocolate, nuts, and some breadiness. Light bitter finish.

Notes from: 9/25/04

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this brew at Brewer’s art in Baltimore, Maryland.

A: Pours a dark black with a thick tan 2-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves and a solid persistent lace.

S: Strong roasted malt aroma that is slightly sweet with hints of coffee and chocolate in the background.

T: Dark rich ale with a slight sweetness and roasted malt bitterness. Strong chocolate and coffee overtones, with a nice malt background.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: Awesome brew. Easily drinkable and very enjoyable

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For the most part, I think the Belgium style ales made by BA to be better on the gas then on cask. However, this was the first time I'd ever seen the Proletary ale on cask (at 72 hours of Belgium), so of course I had to try it.

The beer pours a hazy dark brown color with decent head retention and very good lacing. I have to say I get almost nothing on the nose just some light sweet malt. On the palate one gets moderate sweetness, with a noticeable cola/rootbeer flavor. The beer in this format is very soft and plush on the palate, with the relatively low abv. very well disguised. Ultimately, this beer is quite drinkable and delicious. Nice effort from BA.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%