Das Ambräusianum Dunkel - Das Ambräusianum

No picture uploaded.
good

Das Ambräusianum visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-01-2005)
3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

clarknova, Sep 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

GhostPants, Jan 02, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on-draught into a .3L "klein" dunkel glass at Ambrausianum. Reviewed from notes. It was priced affordably.

A: Pours a two finger head of lovely cream, nice thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a nontransparent copper.

Sm: Slight cream, slight sourness (?), and a difficult-to-place note that seems to be a common addition to Ambrausianum's beers - because I've noted it in three beers now but just can't discern what it is.

T: Slight caramel, the hard-to-place note, some cream, and maybe some amber hops. Strange for the style, without any notable chocolate (malt). Dark malts are strangely absent. Complex and balanced. I'm frustrated I can't identify that one note.

Mf: A bit coarse for the style. Quite wet with some dryness on the climax. Not tailored to the flavours, but executed decently.

Dr: Not at all like most beers in the style. More an amber ale than a dunkel. Very affordable and drinkable, but strange. It's worth trying once, but I wouldn't get it again.

C-

kojevergas, May 21, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Arguably the most interesting beer I had in Bamberg, for better or worse. Ambräusianum doesn't seem to be using the other local brewers for inspiration, but instead looks, feels, and tastes closer to what American craft brewers are doing. That said...this is a pretty traditional style and one I feel the Germans "got right" a long time ago, so maybe taking a new path is unusual.
Arrived a very light brown color. It's more of a khaki or copper color. It appeared to be either unfiltered or maybe it's just that shade?
The hops they're using or maybe how they were added makes this beer taste much closer to a US brewer trying to put their spin on a dunkel. I don't think it's using non-noble hops, but there's definitely something different going on. Maybe they're using Magnums instead? The malt gives me a little cocoa flavor that isn't too sweet, but is enough to cut through the hops. Are there mild UK-like fruity notes I get? Not sure I like this or if I don't. If nothing else, it's different and maybe that's a good thing considering how similar German beers can often be. I tend to favor dunkels, so I could definitely drink a few, though.
Nobody's going to mistake this for anything else, and I can honestly see how some people might prefer it.
I salute Ambräusianum's approach and think it's a great idea, but as a beer I really wasn't into this as much as I wanted to be.
Still, I lean in the direction that everything they're doing is 100% intentional.

Domingo, Jul 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +12%

I found this beer to be a little light for a dunkel not just in the mouthfeel but in the color as well. It was on the lighter side of brown. I would actually say it was deep amber. There was average tan head and lace to this beer. The flavor and the aroma were that of roasted malt with some good coffee tones. Overall I would say not bad just not as hardy as most dunkels.

MTNboy, Jun 20, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -8.4%

My second Brewery stop on my Bamberg Beer Trail; March 2011.

Had the Beer Sampler with one each Helles, Hefe-weizen and Dunkel; The Dunkel was smapled last.. Had Beer Soup, (very salty) and two Pretzels to cleanse the palate between beers.

Sample size was.1L from the tap in a straight sided glass. (Looked like a juice glass).

Dark, yet translucent with thin head that dissipated within a minute with mild lacing.

Slight hint of fruit, floral and caramel aromas.

Taste of malt with fruitiness, slight bitterness with little to no aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel, thin for a dunkel and low carbonation.

This beer has average to below average drinkability. I liked this beer least of the three beers I sampled at Ambräusianum.

skypup, Mar 22, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on-tap at the brewpub.

This dunkel poured a very dark, opaque, brown color with creamy, light brown foam that settled and clinged to the glass. The smell was lightly malty with a hint of fruitiness. The taste was malty with light fruitiness and low hoppiness and a touch of caramel malt. This tasted very "ale like" for a lager. The mouthfeel was crisp with medium body and strong, biting carbonation. The aftertaste was light and dry and malty. This was an OK beer, somewhat untrue to style, perhaps.

UncleJimbo, Mar 20, 2006