Olde Towne Pale Ale - Olde Towne Brewing Co.

Olde Towne Pale AleOlde Towne Pale Ale

Olde Towne Brewing Co.
Alabama, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-14-2004)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reaper16

1.3/5  rDev -59.1%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a dark amber in color. The beer is very obviously unfiltered. The floaties of yeast or hop material or both or neither are abundant. The beer looks like a contaminated pond. Its plain ugly and I'm usually fine with particles.

The dominant smell is of buttered toffee. Just butter, really. Too much diacetyl? It seems likely; the beer is more buttery than you can imagine. There is a pretty one-note herbal quality from the hops but they aren't strong or deep enough to get past the rich butter smells.

Oh, geez. A butterbomb. There is NO hop taste. Not even any malt taste. Just... diacetyl out the ass. Drain pour; 'nuff said.

The beer is light-bodied and might be refreshing if the beer actually tastes like a pale ale not a pat of margarine. The carbonation is much too light given that it doesn't help at all to cut though the butter. I can't score this beer's drinkability as anything other than the affront to flavor that it is. This is truly undrinkable.

This wasn't an isolated bottle. Someone purchased two sixpacks of this beer and I sampled from each sixer. Same fucked up beer each time.

03-08-2010 02:47:59 | More by Reaper16
AndoBrew

1.93/5  rDev -39.3%

*Did not like would not buy*

Appearance: Dingey tan/gold sparkly white head. Not Impressed.

Smell: Typical pale ale smells: nutty, piney, floraly. Not very strong smelling.

Taste: I am sorry, I will not say much here except that this is not a beer for me. I am sure some people love it, but I cannot finish the 12 oz bottle. I taste none of the nutty malt flavors that I long for in a PA and there is just plain strange, odd hop flavors all over the board. I will let others go into details on this. I can't even blame it on not liking hops, cause I do. I like Stone products. That should say enough!

Mouthfeel: I don't know anymore... maybe I should have givin' it a 3 for 'average', but I don't want to. I'm sure that some waste matter has a good "mouthfeel", but if it tastes like waste, what does that matter?

Drinkability: Probably very drinkable, but not for me.. again, I am sorry.

Notes: Maybe I have crazy high standards... I dunno. I do feel bad for giving bad reviews. And hopefully this is a bad version of this beer, but I cannot let it sneak a good review out of me. Thumbs down.

11-08-2005 03:39:56 | More by AndoBrew
scruffy1

06-24-2012 20:10:02 | More by scruffy1
bditty187

Nebraska

2.05/5  rDev -35.5%

My second beer from Alabama!

Suspended hazy in the middle, the liquid near the edges of my glass was clear, yellow-gold in hue with a very slight coppery highlight. The head was white in color, about a finger in height at the apex. Head retention was decent, it faded to a modest cap in a few moments but this cap had good staying power. Subsequent lacing was spotty and it clung poorly. Overall the appearance of this beer is okay but unremarkable. The nose startled me, there is a boastful pine aroma at smells fake. Then comes the citrus zest and, of all things, bubblegum. At the back is a light herbal note with a soft lemon bread/spice thing going on. The bouquet scares me a bit. It is really wacky and I don’t know if I want to take a sip! The palate is a little freaky. I don’t understand the piney taste; it is like this beer is brewed with one of those car air-fresheners. And just like the nose the bubblegum taste follows. Gross. Really, what is going on here? Citrus zest. Weak herbal notes that are disconnected from the pine. Thankfully. Sadly this beer is ruined from the get-go. I don’t like how it starts but it ends much better. I think the brewer could do some tinkering and save this beer. The hop profile needs to be cleaned up and “straight” bitterness could be increased. Also, a malt backbone is needed. The aftertaste is harsh and piney. Am I drinking Pine-sol? I will have to dump out about half my glass. Almost medium in body, the carbonation is firm and fitting for this beer, alas the mouthfeel is average. At this point this is the highlight of the beer. Drinkable? No. Likeable? No. Would I try it again? Maybe, I realize this brewery is new and there are kinks to be worked out. I hope this beer can be saved because the local folks in Alabama need good beer. At this point this Pale Ale is awful. Regardless of my opinion on this beer specifically I need to thank au1sec for the bottle! Thanks.

12-29-2004 17:56:54 | More by bditty187
Pegasus

2.3/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep golden in color, with a hint of haze, decent head retention, slight carbonation, and thick lacing.

Aroma: An odd chemical note was present, somewhat like cough syrup, not pleasant.

Taste: Opens with a mildly tart, roasty, almost acidic malt note, soon followed by an overpowering medicinal hop note, which overpowers the malt character. The hop notes seem to linger on intermidably, far past the close of the taste.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, rather plesant.

Drinkability/notes: Severly lacking in balance, with excessive bittering hops; these overwhelm the beer's character.

Thanks to Rick for generously sharing this sample.

08-27-2006 14:54:19 | More by Pegasus
BeerRun13

2.35/5  rDev -26.1%

Thanks to DeaconBluez.

Pours a very light goldish amber color, a bit cloudy, with minimal head that doesn't last.
Kind of a sweet buterscotch aroma. A little hopiness.
Well this is the second beer from Olde Towne that I have tried and I have to say "strike 2." This beer just tastes dirty to me. Maybe it's the yeast in this one, seeing as how I dumped a whole bunch in my glass with the pour. I just didn't like it much at all. I don't know what kind of Pale Ale this is supposed to be.
I have to say the mouthfeel is okay medium bodied, although it is allways tough to tell when you're not really enjoying the beer to begin with.
I have one more beer to review from Olde Towne Brewing and I hope I have better luck. Thanks all the same to the sender. I always appriciate the chance to try new ones, and he has sent me some real winners.

04-18-2006 00:22:28 | More by BeerRun13
Crosling

Colorado

2.42/5  rDev -23.9%

Clear yellow. Unclean malt aroma, musty and corny, with a light aromatic hop presence, which shows a bit of grass, perfume and herbs. A decent malt flavor is present, considering, with a lightly fruity, caramel-like malt flavor, loaded with grassy hops. Not much to say. It’s not terrible.

03-30-2006 02:32:49 | More by Crosling
ikats

2.58/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a light orange in color. Not very clear, but not too cloudy either. Solid slightly off-white head that sticks around for some time. Aroma is very fruity and somewhat sweet. Taste is very watery. There is some hop bitterness, but no bite. Malts are out of place too. Seems light body. Mouthfeel is average, but drinkability is low (I'll finish the bottle, but I won't reach for another one).

My problems is mostly with the fact that I find it completely out of style. Too sweet and no hoppy bite.

09-14-2010 02:05:46 | More by ikats
ChainGangGuy

2.6/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: The Olde Towne Pale Ale is golden/orange in color, with a mild haziness to it, and is capped by a fluffy white head.

Smell: Fruity and citrusy, but has an unpleasant solventlike character to it. Its all rather off-putting, but ever onward! Hey, wait! Where are the hops here?

Taste: The aroma definitely comes across in the taste, and it's somewhat harsh. Depth of the hops is lacking. Light mealy malt flavors. Plenty of carbonation. Its like a pale ale spritzer.

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. It hits your tongue, gives you a brief thrill, but then goes away right away. Not much there.

Drinkability: Drinkable, but not overly thrilling. I don't believe I'd recommend this one. However, I'll continue to wait and see what this brewery has to offer in the future.

11-04-2005 06:20:54 | More by ChainGangGuy
TPSReports

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a nice clear yellowish straw color with a slight head the dissipated nearly completely leaving only a minimal film.

Aromas are unique and slightly fruity with metallic twang.

The taste is not my favorite, but not the worst I've had either. Ever sucked on a copper penny? That's the after-taste here. Very interesting.

Roll Tide. This is better than drinking Scotch.

07-02-2005 02:14:16 | More by TPSReports
beergeek279

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from the 12 oz. bottle into a tulp. The color is copper, with a nice retention of head. The smell is pale malt sweet, almost candi sugary(??). The taste is bready, candi sugar sweet, with just the slightest touch of a mellow slightly citrus hop bite in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is definitely well-carbonated. As for drinkability, the next time I want a pale ale, I'll drink a pale ale, thank you very much.

Once again, thanks to au1sec for the beer as part of the NCAA pool prize. Now that I've knocked off Alabama as a state, I'm fortunate I never have to go back to drinking this brewery ever again. I'm not a person who nitpicks to BJCP guidelines by any means, but I expect something at least SOMEWHAT pale ale-ish when I pick up a bottle with "pale ale" on the label.

05-15-2005 00:48:19 | More by beergeek279
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Foggy golden amber with vigorous carbonation rushing up to a large cream colored head. A high altitude pour netted me a half-and-half... half beer and half foam. Soft hillocks form on the surface of the cap as it retreats, with little to no lace ending up on the glass.

The nose isn't bad, although it could be more assertive. It's softly, politely hoppy with gentle herbal overtones. Actually, I like it more the more I smell it. The flavor doesn't fare nearly as well. It's harsh and slightly ethanolic and really isn't very good at all. I know next to nothing about the brewing process, but this beer tastes young and unfinished to me. Of course it could just be a less than stellar effort.

There's very little hop presence on the palate, even when compared to the subdued hoppiness of the nose. How on earth is it possible to appreciate fusel alcohols in a 5.0% pale ale? It's slightly sweet and modestly bitter, so I guess calling it balanced wouldn't be out of line. The rough nature of the flavor is accentuated by a thin-medium body and by harsh, big-bubbled carbonation.

Olde Towne Pale Ale isn't good beer, but it's only a first effort. It's important that the brewer (who I spoke with on several occasions and who seems like a nice guy) persevere and succeed in a beer-starved state. If I lived in Alabama, I'd give Olde Towne Brewing many more chances to get it right. Thanks to au1sec for several bottles from The Heart of Dixie.

12-29-2004 15:23:35 | More by BuckeyeNation
Georgiabeer

2.93/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours amber with a relatively thin white head. Some acetalaldehyde in the nose, and little else. The taste is much better with a fairly nice crisp hoppiness but some graininess at the finish. A little sweet and corny tasting with a thin dustiness at the end. Nice level of carbonation, but somewhat off balance. Drinkable, but not a beer I'd choose again.

03-15-2010 02:13:57 | More by Georgiabeer
dojobrewco

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

My first try out of all the Old Towne styles. Odd since their only an hour away from me. Yet their beer is rather scarce here in Flo-town. Regardless the beer poured a golden, almost orangey color. A nice bitter bite in the beginning and then follows up smoothly. Good hop aroma. Nice thin head that trends into a steady lace as I finished the glass.

05-09-2007 00:36:59 | More by dojobrewco
aaronh

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

Had on tap in a local restaurant in HSV. Dark straw colr witha thin off-white head. Aroma has some decent hop notes with a bit of balancing malt and grassiness. Flavor was typical pale ale, not much hop bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel was a bit soft, beer was not as lively as many pale ales. Drinkability was OK, but there's many better options.

08-05-2009 00:45:31 | More by aaronh
LJWalker

02-06-2012 20:42:51 | More by LJWalker
francisweizen

Alaska

Straw yellow with a small head of white foam that does not last long, nor provide nice lacing. Aromas are simple, basic, not too boring, but a bit bland. A bit of spicy hop, a dollop of bready malt and that is about it. Taste is the same. Maltier up front, bready in the middle, and hoppier and a bit drier in the finish. An easy swillin' pale ale that even the 40oz crew would love. Drinkability is ok as well. Good on all accounts, just uninspired. A nice curiosity.

07-19-2005 19:31:27 | More by francisweizen
bigbubba

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

This pale ale has a nice light orange color and is slightly hazy. It has a huge foamy white head that dissapated into a 1/8 inch of sticky bubbles. The smell is very odd for a pale ale. It is spicy, yeasty, citrusy, and has "that Belgian" aroma. The taste and mouthfeel make me think this was supposed to be an attempt at a Belgian. It is tasty but not if they want to call it a pale ale.

05-04-2005 23:06:12 | More by bigbubba
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured a light amberish color with a thin white head. Nose is faint with citrus hops and malt leading the way. This brew was over carbonated on the taste. It did taste decent though with malts being nice and citrus notes but the overcarbonation left it off balance. Goes down smooth with grassy-pine and floral notes.

06-21-2009 13:28:07 | More by barleywinefiend
orcasteve

3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

got this one in secret bunny bif, thanks unclejedi, drank out of my duvel tulip glass, poured a orangeish yellow with a two finger thin head on it, the smell was a hint of hops and not much else, the taste is a tuch of grain and then piney hops. this is a tuch to bitter for my taste, it needs somthing to ballance it out, but then agan i might just be spoiled by all the great beers i have had and this one is nothing more than avrage

05-16-2009 14:13:48 | More by orcasteve
PhantomVodoo

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Not your typical pale ale.
Huge off-white head that overflowed my glass. Sort of a very pale burnt orange color with a bit of haze.
Aroma is unique. Sweet and malty with some hops there as well. A bit lemony and a tad musty.

Taste shows a somewhat grainy malt backbone. Decent hop balance. The beer is somewhat pungent, musty, lemony, and buttery. Kind of bitey as well (acidic?).

Decent body. Drinkable enough, but not one I'd go back for.
Overall this one's barely decent and odd for a pale ale.
Big thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the bottle!

01-11-2005 05:43:04 | More by PhantomVodoo
arizcards

Arizona

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

This was part of a beer of the month selection a few months back from Mr Doyle.

Beer poured a golden orange with a decent head. Nose is non-descept, a bit malty but nothing much more. Taste is malty and nutty and not particularly hoppy for the style. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated to give it a lively feel. Drinkability is average, no good to outstanding characteristics to note.

01-16-2006 23:26:18 | More by arizcards
mentor

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle provided by UncleFlip, thanks for the opportunity! Pours...WTF...one finger of beer and seven fingers of head. Banana meat colored head over a very cloudy golden liquid. Smells of piney hops and that's about it. Tastes piney hops with some grapefruit pith, but there is an supporting underplay of chalky malts that could be either biscuit or munich/vienna. Some apricot ester and maybe some peach. Tough to say as the malt rises to cover the esters and then settles to a pine sol hop aftertaste. Although I'm generally not too favorable to the taste of piney hops, this is beer holds an interesting combination of hop and malt. Complex? No. Interesting, but not unique. Md-light body and moderately carbonated (I guess all the carb escaped as head during the pour).

08-20-2005 06:55:05 | More by mentor
drewbage

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

Compliments of a good beer trade bringing another state to it's knees in my
quest for state domination

Beer pours hazy light orange with a low white head and a continuous stream of CO2.

Aroma is a bready malt with a slight bubblegum aroma dangling behind a bright orange hop with a slightly smokey finish that puzzles.

As the beer hits the palate, CO2 first causes a hit of extra acidic hop character that drives over a low biscuit malt body into a bright and long lasting hop spice across the palate.

Interesting mid level character beer with a good hop bitterness, but the aroma is light for my preference and the hop is almost all bitterness with very little flavor.

12-28-2004 04:32:31 | More by drewbage
Brent

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a turbid apricot with a nice head. Aroma was fresh with hops and sweet malt. Up front the malt was a bit heavy on the caramel, and then I waited for the hops to kick in. Missing in action. Sort of like a bottle rocket that fizzes for a second, and then sits cold on the lauch pad. Finished with a mildly sweet, slightly fruityness. A snoozer.

12-09-2005 14:12:20 | More by Brent
Olde Towne Pale Ale from Olde Towne Brewing Co.