Olde Towne Pale Ale - Olde Towne Brewing Co.

Olde Towne Pale AleOlde Towne Pale Ale

Olde Towne Brewing Co.
Alabama, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-14-2004)
3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

Acquired from unclejedi through the Little Guy BIF, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a thin white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of hops, citrus and caramelized malt.

T: The taste is well-balanced with pale hops bitterness and citrus & caramel sweetness. There’s a decent malt character. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry but a little sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, good kick, good representation of style, I could stick with this beer for a while.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 15, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep golden in color, with a hint of haze, decent head retention, slight carbonation, and thick lacing.

Aroma: An odd chemical note was present, somewhat like cough syrup, not pleasant.

Taste: Opens with a mildly tart, roasty, almost acidic malt note, soon followed by an overpowering medicinal hop note, which overpowers the malt character. The hop notes seem to linger on intermidably, far past the close of the taste.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, rather plesant.

Drinkability/notes: Severly lacking in balance, with excessive bittering hops; these overwhelm the beer's character.

Thanks to Rick for generously sharing this sample.

Pegasus, Aug 27, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Love the label with a bowler hat on it. The beer inside is pretty decent as well!

Pours gold with a head that boils down to lace pretty quickly. Aroma is citric hops and something that smells a bit like butyric acid, with a malty sweetness in tha background.

There's a flavor going on here - earthy dry-grainy nuttiness combined with a slight butteriness that's not diacetyl, more like Butter Buds - beneath the hoppiness that makes this unlike any other APA I've tried. The buds die away quickly enough, leaving the hazelnutty nuttiness, graininess, and a really well-balanced hoppiness behind. Finishes with a grainy, nutty, hoppy dryness. Slightly tingly mouthfeel. The dry finish makes me think I could drink quite a few of these, but I wonder if I'd tire of that Butter Buds thing.

Thanks to FBG potsie for a brew I never knew existed.

sponberg, Jun 05, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Aroma: Full citric hop nose, mostly grapefruit, and a smell I can only call “river”. Doesn’t make sense to say it smelled like water. Still looking for the term that goes with that smell.

Appearance: Chill hazed copper with a thin cover and a good collar, both white, both leaving traces of lace.

Flavor: Hops are up front and both bittering and taste additions noticeable. Base is obscured but it an otherwise clean pale ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body, full carbonation

Overall Impression: Just a touch heavy on the bittering additions for my tastes, but nothing wrong with this beer.

Big thanks to Rick and Betty for bringing this one back from AL

HardTarget, May 14, 2006
2.35/5  rDev -26.1%

Thanks to DeaconBluez.

Pours a very light goldish amber color, a bit cloudy, with minimal head that doesn't last.
Kind of a sweet buterscotch aroma. A little hopiness.
Well this is the second beer from Olde Towne that I have tried and I have to say "strike 2." This beer just tastes dirty to me. Maybe it's the yeast in this one, seeing as how I dumped a whole bunch in my glass with the pour. I just didn't like it much at all. I don't know what kind of Pale Ale this is supposed to be.
I have to say the mouthfeel is okay medium bodied, although it is allways tough to tell when you're not really enjoying the beer to begin with.
I have one more beer to review from Olde Towne Brewing and I hope I have better luck. Thanks all the same to the sender. I always appriciate the chance to try new ones, and he has sent me some real winners.

BeerRun13, Apr 18, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -23.9%

Clear yellow. Unclean malt aroma, musty and corny, with a light aromatic hop presence, which shows a bit of grass, perfume and herbs. A decent malt flavor is present, considering, with a lightly fruity, caramel-like malt flavor, loaded with grassy hops. Not much to say. It’s not terrible.

Crosling, Mar 30, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

This was part of a beer of the month selection a few months back from Mr Doyle.

Beer poured a golden orange with a decent head. Nose is non-descept, a bit malty but nothing much more. Taste is malty and nutty and not particularly hoppy for the style. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated to give it a lively feel. Drinkability is average, no good to outstanding characteristics to note.

arizcards, Jan 16, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Sampled through the efforts of DeaconBluez and the BCG BIF.

Pours a clear dark gold to light amber colored ale with a puffy white head.

Smell is mildly malty with hints of vanilla, wood, and butterscotch. Hops are not really a major element here and only show as a mild herbal scent in the background.

Taste is slightly sweet and strikingly smoky in the first sip. Further tasty give me more of the smoky flavor and it is the major flavor here. All the other flavors are secondary. A bit woody and herbal hops in the finish but this beer is all about the smoke.

Mouthfeel is OK.

A somewhat unique pale ale here a smoked version. A different sort of pale ale that I would buy again. This is much better than its' Extra Pale Ale relative.

Zorro, Jan 14, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +11%

12oz. bottle provided by DeaconBluez

Pours a crystal clear golden amber with a white head that vanishes. No apparent lacing.

Really nice aroma of piney hops and malt. Smells very well balanced.

Nice balance of malt and hops in the flavor. A slight caramel flavor is also present. Finishes crisp and dry. Quite tasty.

Body seems thin, could use more carbonation.

An easy drinking APA with a well balanced flavor. I could drink a few more.

MaltyGoodness, Jan 09, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a turbid apricot with a nice head. Aroma was fresh with hops and sweet malt. Up front the malt was a bit heavy on the caramel, and then I waited for the hops to kick in. Missing in action. Sort of like a bottle rocket that fizzes for a second, and then sits cold on the lauch pad. Finished with a mildly sweet, slightly fruityness. A snoozer.

Brent, Dec 09, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

BOTM

Hmm, an interesting pale ale. Pours pale orange, not your usual pale ale color but a very nice one. Cloudy with a nice light foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly, some decent lacing as well. Nose is dominated by sour fruits, hints of spice even. Taste is also quite sour, heavy orange notes. Kind of refreshing, although not very standard. A bit smoother than your normal pale. Overall, very orangey and pretty decent.

aquatonex, Dec 03, 2005
1.93/5  rDev -39.3%

*Did not like would not buy*

Appearance: Dingey tan/gold sparkly white head. Not Impressed.

Smell: Typical pale ale smells: nutty, piney, floraly. Not very strong smelling.

Taste: I am sorry, I will not say much here except that this is not a beer for me. I am sure some people love it, but I cannot finish the 12 oz bottle. I taste none of the nutty malt flavors that I long for in a PA and there is just plain strange, odd hop flavors all over the board. I will let others go into details on this. I can't even blame it on not liking hops, cause I do. I like Stone products. That should say enough!

Mouthfeel: I don't know anymore... maybe I should have givin' it a 3 for 'average', but I don't want to. I'm sure that some waste matter has a good "mouthfeel", but if it tastes like waste, what does that matter?

Drinkability: Probably very drinkable, but not for me.. again, I am sorry.

Notes: Maybe I have crazy high standards... I dunno. I do feel bad for giving bad reviews. And hopefully this is a bad version of this beer, but I cannot let it sneak a good review out of me. Thumbs down.

AndoBrew, Nov 08, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: The Olde Towne Pale Ale is golden/orange in color, with a mild haziness to it, and is capped by a fluffy white head.

Smell: Fruity and citrusy, but has an unpleasant solventlike character to it. Its all rather off-putting, but ever onward! Hey, wait! Where are the hops here?

Taste: The aroma definitely comes across in the taste, and it's somewhat harsh. Depth of the hops is lacking. Light mealy malt flavors. Plenty of carbonation. Its like a pale ale spritzer.

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. It hits your tongue, gives you a brief thrill, but then goes away right away. Not much there.

Drinkability: Drinkable, but not overly thrilling. I don't believe I'd recommend this one. However, I'll continue to wait and see what this brewery has to offer in the future.

ChainGangGuy, Nov 04, 2005
3.18/5  rDev 0%

Hazy apricot body with a thin white head, good retention, rings of lace left behind. Grapefruit citrus-apricot-peach fruity aroma with a spicey smack in the nose, loaded with esters. Nice carbonation, light-medium body, refreshing fruit base with spice, a bit of piney hoppiness bubbling under. Goes down smooth with grassy-pine with some unidentifiable metal lingering.

Drinkable and refreshing, but doesn't hold my attention that well.

ism, Nov 03, 2005
3.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Orange-honey in the glass. Two finger off white head quickly has one finger amputated (then the remaining one gets cut off at the first knuckle), leaving some wet lace behind.

::::Flip's nose goes into glass::

It seems to be all about some spiciness over a bed of pineapple and orange. There's some munich-maltiness here, as well.

The flavour has a bit of butter and spice up front, then a bt of fruitiness hits, followed by a growing hoppiness on the end.

The carbonation is tight but very present up front, and builds at a medium rate before going down like a 747 over Scotland. There's a slightly-thinner-than medium liquid underneath.

A drinkable beer? You bet. A really good beer? Needs some work in that area. It's a young brewery, and I'd like to see them get better over time.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Oct 06, 2005

Appearance –This one poured a beautiful bright orange in color with a huge, monster head that showed good retention.

Smell – The sweet, caramelly malts have some pulpy orange notes. This mates well with the modest but distinctive hope balance.

Taste – The malts here are incredibly gooey and smooth. They aren’t toasted but instead taste like straight grain stripped from the husk, except that it is mashed and sweet. The thick but unsweetened orange and solid citrus and biscuit hops nicely rounds out this flavor profile.

Mouthfeel – This one is just shy of medium-bodied with some excellent carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability – This is a real thirst-quenching ale that really hits the spot.

Comments – Big thanks to Uncle Flip for sending this one my way in the infamous WTF BIF.

RoyalT, Sep 23, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle provided by UncleFlip, thanks for the opportunity! Pours...WTF...one finger of beer and seven fingers of head. Banana meat colored head over a very cloudy golden liquid. Smells of piney hops and that's about it. Tastes piney hops with some grapefruit pith, but there is an supporting underplay of chalky malts that could be either biscuit or munich/vienna. Some apricot ester and maybe some peach. Tough to say as the malt rises to cover the esters and then settles to a pine sol hop aftertaste. Although I'm generally not too favorable to the taste of piney hops, this is beer holds an interesting combination of hop and malt. Complex? No. Interesting, but not unique. Md-light body and moderately carbonated (I guess all the carb escaped as head during the pour).

mentor, Aug 20, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to UncleFlip for the bottle!
The beer pours a hazed, dusky gold, topped with a finger's worth of white head. Good retention, with bits of lace clinging to the glass. Milder aroma, with pleasant pale malt and a modest citrusy, slightly woody hopping. A bit of esters, mainly pear-like. The flavor is in keeping with the milder aroma. Certainly no west coast hop bomb. Lighter bodied. Fluffy malt up front, definitely light on the specialty grains, with an unusual metallic taste from middle to end. It could be the hops, almost a saaz-like metallic tinge. Moderate bitterness in the finish, with a woody and citrusy flavor, kinda like Mt. Hood or Willamette. A bit of a floral note, with some yeast, as well.
Leaning toward a golden or blonde ale, I'd say, rather than a pale. I could pull through a couple bottles of this easily. Maybe lacking a bit in character for the beer geek crowd, but this would be a great beer to have at a party with a mixed beer drinking level. Not terrifically challenging, not on par with the greats, but a step above the "craft" beer made by large breweries.

UnionMade, Jul 24, 2005

Straw yellow with a small head of white foam that does not last long, nor provide nice lacing. Aromas are simple, basic, not too boring, but a bit bland. A bit of spicy hop, a dollop of bready malt and that is about it. Taste is the same. Maltier up front, bready in the middle, and hoppier and a bit drier in the finish. An easy swillin' pale ale that even the 40oz crew would love. Drinkability is ok as well. Good on all accounts, just uninspired. A nice curiosity.

francisweizen, Jul 19, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a nice clear yellowish straw color with a slight head the dissipated nearly completely leaving only a minimal film.

Aromas are unique and slightly fruity with metallic twang.

The taste is not my favorite, but not the worst I've had either. Ever sucked on a copper penny? That's the after-taste here. Very interesting.

Roll Tide. This is better than drinking Scotch.

TPSReports, Jul 02, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

Pours a nice rich orange/yellow color with a fairly significant head, at least for a Pale Ale. Head is foamy and thick, but diminishes quickly, leaving remnants on top of the beer. I've noticed that Olde Towne's Pales and their Hefe are all fairly dingy orange in color -- I wonder if perhaps they use an orange fruit in the malt in some way? Reasonably impressive, but not knock-your-socks-off.

Smell is decent, if uninspiring. Spicy aroma, some fruit and hops mixed in for good measure. Smells like... a beer (big shocker, right?) -- more nose than a macro but nothing that makes me seek it out in particular.

I enjoy the taste on this brew. Fruit notes dominate here, reminding me of oranges or grapefruit in the malt -- this is matched by a nice hop presence that gives the beer a bit of "kick", and a bit-over-heavy-for-my-taste carbonation.

Mouthfeel is pretty decent here, as it swishes around the mouth and coats pleasantly, but leaves behind a sharp tang from the carbonation and the hops. Don't get me wrong -- this isn't a hoppy beer, but I prefer my Pale Ales to be a bit smoother than this. Still, they seem to be on the right track, and I suspect they'll get the bugs out fairly quickly.

I'm giving this a 3 for drinkability, as it seems to be a simple, easy-drinking, uncomplicated, yet imperfect brew for a nice evening. For fans of Pale Ales, this might be a nice session brew (although it has a 5% abv as opposed to the Extra Pale at 3.8%), but for me I'd rather stick to the Hefeweizen. Good enough to try, and I'll certainly buy it again, but it's not a constant presence in my fridge or closet.

danielharper, Jun 13, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from the 12 oz. bottle into a tulp. The color is copper, with a nice retention of head. The smell is pale malt sweet, almost candi sugary(??). The taste is bready, candi sugar sweet, with just the slightest touch of a mellow slightly citrus hop bite in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is definitely well-carbonated. As for drinkability, the next time I want a pale ale, I'll drink a pale ale, thank you very much.

Once again, thanks to au1sec for the beer as part of the NCAA pool prize. Now that I've knocked off Alabama as a state, I'm fortunate I never have to go back to drinking this brewery ever again. I'm not a person who nitpicks to BJCP guidelines by any means, but I expect something at least SOMEWHAT pale ale-ish when I pick up a bottle with "pale ale" on the label.

beergeek279, May 15, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

This pale ale has a nice light orange color and is slightly hazy. It has a huge foamy white head that dissapated into a 1/8 inch of sticky bubbles. The smell is very odd for a pale ale. It is spicy, yeasty, citrusy, and has "that Belgian" aroma. The taste and mouthfeel make me think this was supposed to be an attempt at a Belgian. It is tasty but not if they want to call it a pale ale.

bigbubba, May 05, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Not your typical pale ale.
Huge off-white head that overflowed my glass. Sort of a very pale burnt orange color with a bit of haze.
Aroma is unique. Sweet and malty with some hops there as well. A bit lemony and a tad musty.

Taste shows a somewhat grainy malt backbone. Decent hop balance. The beer is somewhat pungent, musty, lemony, and buttery. Kind of bitey as well (acidic?).

Decent body. Drinkable enough, but not one I'd go back for.
Overall this one's barely decent and odd for a pale ale.
Big thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the bottle!

PhantomVodoo, Jan 11, 2005
3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

This one is kind of hard to rate, though. Personally, I kind of liked it, but something tells me it would be considered flawed according to style. It’s pours a pretty amber that takes on a slight haze from the bit of yeast in the bottle. The aroma has a touch of peppery hops with a little lemon zest. The odd thing is a huge bubblegum ester aroma that would be right at home in an authentic German hefeweizen, except this isn’t supposed to be a hefe. Personally, I think it’s kind of a cool twist, but not what you expect from a hefe. Solid carbonation and a nice maltiness make for an interesting beer with a bit of a weak finish.

aracauna, Jan 06, 2005
Olde Towne Pale Ale from Olde Towne Brewing Co.