Olde Towne Pale Ale - Olde Towne Brewing Co.

Olde Towne Pale AleOlde Towne Pale Ale

Olde Towne Brewing Co.
Alabama, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-14-2004)
2.05/5  rDev -35.5%

My second beer from Alabama!

Suspended hazy in the middle, the liquid near the edges of my glass was clear, yellow-gold in hue with a very slight coppery highlight. The head was white in color, about a finger in height at the apex. Head retention was decent, it faded to a modest cap in a few moments but this cap had good staying power. Subsequent lacing was spotty and it clung poorly. Overall the appearance of this beer is okay but unremarkable. The nose startled me, there is a boastful pine aroma at smells fake. Then comes the citrus zest and, of all things, bubblegum. At the back is a light herbal note with a soft lemon bread/spice thing going on. The bouquet scares me a bit. It is really wacky and I don’t know if I want to take a sip! The palate is a little freaky. I don’t understand the piney taste; it is like this beer is brewed with one of those car air-fresheners. And just like the nose the bubblegum taste follows. Gross. Really, what is going on here? Citrus zest. Weak herbal notes that are disconnected from the pine. Thankfully. Sadly this beer is ruined from the get-go. I don’t like how it starts but it ends much better. I think the brewer could do some tinkering and save this beer. The hop profile needs to be cleaned up and “straight” bitterness could be increased. Also, a malt backbone is needed. The aftertaste is harsh and piney. Am I drinking Pine-sol? I will have to dump out about half my glass. Almost medium in body, the carbonation is firm and fitting for this beer, alas the mouthfeel is average. At this point this is the highlight of the beer. Drinkable? No. Likeable? No. Would I try it again? Maybe, I realize this brewery is new and there are kinks to be worked out. I hope this beer can be saved because the local folks in Alabama need good beer. At this point this Pale Ale is awful. Regardless of my opinion on this beer specifically I need to thank au1sec for the bottle! Thanks.

bditty187, Dec 29, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Foggy golden amber with vigorous carbonation rushing up to a large cream colored head. A high altitude pour netted me a half-and-half... half beer and half foam. Soft hillocks form on the surface of the cap as it retreats, with little to no lace ending up on the glass.

The nose isn't bad, although it could be more assertive. It's softly, politely hoppy with gentle herbal overtones. Actually, I like it more the more I smell it. The flavor doesn't fare nearly as well. It's harsh and slightly ethanolic and really isn't very good at all. I know next to nothing about the brewing process, but this beer tastes young and unfinished to me. Of course it could just be a less than stellar effort.

There's very little hop presence on the palate, even when compared to the subdued hoppiness of the nose. How on earth is it possible to appreciate fusel alcohols in a 5.0% pale ale? It's slightly sweet and modestly bitter, so I guess calling it balanced wouldn't be out of line. The rough nature of the flavor is accentuated by a thin-medium body and by harsh, big-bubbled carbonation.

Olde Towne Pale Ale isn't good beer, but it's only a first effort. It's important that the brewer (who I spoke with on several occasions and who seems like a nice guy) persevere and succeed in a beer-starved state. If I lived in Alabama, I'd give Olde Towne Brewing many more chances to get it right. Thanks to au1sec for several bottles from The Heart of Dixie.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 29, 2004
3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

Compliments of a good beer trade bringing another state to it's knees in my
quest for state domination

Beer pours hazy light orange with a low white head and a continuous stream of CO2.

Aroma is a bready malt with a slight bubblegum aroma dangling behind a bright orange hop with a slightly smokey finish that puzzles.

As the beer hits the palate, CO2 first causes a hit of extra acidic hop character that drives over a low biscuit malt body into a bright and long lasting hop spice across the palate.

Interesting mid level character beer with a good hop bitterness, but the aroma is light for my preference and the hop is almost all bitterness with very little flavor.

drewbage, Dec 28, 2004
Olde Towne Pale Ale from Olde Towne Brewing Co.