Do you buy old dusty beer from the store?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shawnspl, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

wow, that's good to know, I have never seen Old Stock Cellar Reserve anywhere. So 2011 is only one year old in the bottle, I thought the dust gave it an age of at least two years, cheers!

2. Jspriest

Jspriest Pundit (916) Feb 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yeah, for the reserves I believe they spend around 2 years in the barrel, and the printed date is the brew-year. Still a good find at any age.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  3. Treyliff

Treyliff Grand Pooh-Bah (4,711) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If it's a beer that ages well, that means it already has a head start. :wink:

AdmiralOzone and dianimal like this.
  4. PeterP-516

PeterP-516 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 New York

the worst is seeing good ipas that have been sitting forever with chunks on the bottom now.

russpowell likes this.
  5. mitch3114

mitch3114 Pundit (849) Feb 20, 2012 New York

Hell yeah! Old and dusty!

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  6. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've lucked some good old stuff years ago, now like previous posters stated, all "hoppy " stuff way past its prime are usually the only beers meeting this description on the shelves:angry::slight_frown::grimacing:

7. imfatsowhat

imfatsowhat Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

Just bought a six pack of Lagunitas Sucks and a four pack of Green Flash Green Bullet both were about a year old
    for $12 they held up well and for the price I could not pass it up..........I Know I Know they're IPA's you don't have to tell me:rolling_eyes:

8. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

You never know what you might find. I found 2 4pks of Sixpoint 3Beans this way this past summer.

Also found some Dieu du Ciel Solstice d'hiver and some Hitachino Espresso Stout at a local store known for carrying old shit.

9. dianimal

dianimal Pundit (982) Apr 18, 2012 California

Sure, once in a while.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  10. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2006 Florida

YES!

Unibroue bottles with a few years age on them taste so much better than when fresh.

TheDoctor likes this.
  11. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

I have a small liquor store i frequent that has some beers dating back to 2011 luckily old stock ale was one of them all 4 cases were MINE MUWHAHAHAHA if its age-able and meant to have some time OUT OF LIGHT AND HIGH HEAT then god ie becomes beautiful after a few years my friend it truly does. also found old rasputin barrel-aged there just yesterday it's going to sit for a year yet but still dusty as a mo fo and ripe for the picking.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  12. VitoFerrante

VitoFerrante Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

What if they just, 10 minutes before you got there, added a 2-day-old bottle of Pliny to the shelves. They then decided, 5 minutes before you got there, to cut tile not 3 feet away from that super fresh elixir of the old and new gods. 3 minutes before you got there, all the equipment was removed from the scene. The bottle got dusty. Would you ignore it fully? Would you just walk away? Or would you, just in case, look for a date?

Wylde likes this.
  13. msscott1973

msscott1973 Pooh-Bah (1,605) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I bought some old, dusty Anchor Porter once. It was terrible.

14. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Grand Pooh-Bah (3,988) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was thrilled when Total Wine put out their 2013 Narwhal a few weeks before they got their 2014 in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.