House Pale Ale - AG

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by JohnSnowNW, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j_nees

j_nees Devotee (305) Dec 18, 2013 Washington

Brewing this tomorrow - sounds really good.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  2. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

Hi guys.

I want to brew this as my first homebrew. I was wondering if anyone can maybe break this down for me so its easy to follow. Maybe offer a few pointers?

3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

You're doing an all-grain as your first brew?

4. patrickcmcd

Maybe I shouldnt? Lol. Can it be tweaked?

5. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Go all grain if you've done the reading and have the equipment. The recipe and procedures are layed out nicely by the op. Not trying to be rude but there isn't any missing information one would need to brew this receipe. If you are looking for brewing tips in general search the forum or post some questions on the general homebrew forum. Any recipe can be tweaked but one has to know why and what are you trying to accomplish. Are you trying make It lower or higher abv? Trying to make it more or less hoppy?

6. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

I have a keg that's almost empty, and I think this is what I'm going to fill it with! It'll be a few weeks before I actually brew, but I wanted to ask one question first. If I do my flameout hop additions without chilling, say a 10 minute stand before I turn on the water, will that have a major impact on the beer? I don't mind a little more bitterness, since I drink a lot of IPAs, and chilling to precisely 170F would be kind of tricky for me to pull off with my current setup.

7. JohnSnowNW

It will certainly raise the IBUs...probably to around 68-70IBU.

It doesn't have to be precisely 170°, just preferably under (160 would work too). I don't know how difficult that would be for you.

This recipe is specifically designed to have high aroma/flavor with a smooth and subdued bitterness. If you prefer more in your face bitterness, and don't mind the IBUs being way high for the style, then you can certainly go that route.

Since I haven't brewed this recipe the way you're going about it, I can't really comment on how it would turn out. I can say that the IBU's aren't going to translate to as bitter as the number implies, simply because these additions are so late in the boil. However, you are essentially moving the hop additions back several minutes. How many minutes, I'm not sure, because it will be cooling after you turn off the heat. I got the IBU number by going back to my recipe in Brewcipher and increasing temp of the FO additions, and adding 5 min to each hop addition during the boil.

I'd probably call your version a Session IPA.

8. MCBanjoMike

Thanks for the response! If the exact temperature of the hop steep isn't that critical, then maybe I'll go for it. The problem is that the controls for my water supply are really far from the place where my kettle will be, so my response time will be pretty slow and I don't know how precisely I'll be able to control the temp. But if the goal is to just be below the infection zone, then I can probably pull it off without too much trouble. Not that I would be too upset if I wound up with a session IPA!

9. JohnSnowNW

No worries. It's actually to be below the temperature of isomerization which, is around 175°, but warm enough that you continue to get good extraction of the oils.

Cheers!

10. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Brewed this yesterday. Used mosaic instead of cascade as that's what's what I had on hand.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  11. JohnSnowNW

I have yet to have a beer with Mosaic that I did not enjoy.

TJRoar and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  12. patrickcmcd

Even though I didnt follow the initial recipe exactly, I thought I'd share some things. This was my first brew.

Brewed a variation of this with a little help for @JohnSnowNW. Used a light pilsner extract and dry hopped with Galaxy. I also cut the boil time in half and used Mandarina Bavaria instead of Cascade due to hop constraints.

I think I made beer! Its very drinkable, perhaps slightly too sweet if I'm being totally honest...I fermented for exactly 14 days and primed with sugar, letting it carbonate for exactly 2 weeks. Its a bit green right now but I'm enjoy the spoils. Citra is the star of the show....its a bitter yet juicey drink.

[​IMG]

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  13. MCBanjoMike

Brewed this one up last night. I burned my thumb, spilled some wort, got soot everywhere and accidentally overpitched my yeast. But I nailed my mash temp, the wort smelled fantastic going into the fermenter and 8 hours later it was rocking with a decent layer of krausen on top. I've got a good feeling about this one!

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  14. JohnSnowNW

Ha, @MCBanjoMike, well I hope packaging and fermentation go a bit smoother for you! How much did you end up over-pitching?

15. MCBanjoMike

I had prepared something like 300B cells, because I was planning on putting aside 100B for later use. But I was tired and I just dumped the whole thing in by mistake, instead of pitching the 200B I had planned. It's a pretty clean yeast, so am I right in thinking it won't make much of a difference to the final product? I used WLP001 instead of the Wyeast, FWIW.

16. JohnSnowNW

Well, that is a bit of an over-pitch. The fact is most of what I understand is that over-pitching will produce a cleaner beer, some describe it as on-dimensional, because it will create fewer esters/phenols. Also, it seems it produces a thinner beer. Generally, in an APA you want a pretty clean malt-profile.

I believe there can be some more adverse effects, but I don't know them off-hand. If you're going to over-pitch a pale beer seems like the one to do it in, however.

I guess you'll/we'll find out in a few weeks :wink:

17. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Made this last night after making an irs. Will post results later.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  18. Bearded_beer_guy_

Bearded_beer_guy_ Initiate (0) May 16, 2015 Australia

So after adding hops you let it boil for another hour?

19. JohnSnowNW

No, the hops are added starting with the last 10 min of the boil, the final addition at FO (Flame Out) is the end of the boil.

I think maybe you're confusing the "Mashing @ 154° for 60 min", with the boil possibly?

20. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (1,239) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

What do you feel the late hop additions bring to the table compared to a more traditional hopping schedule? Is it just to get the flavor and aroma with a moderately low biternerness?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.