Bourbon County Brand Stout (clone)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by adamranders, Nov 10, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamranders

adamranders Initiate (0) May 25, 2015 Wisconsin

Bourbon County Brand Stout (clone)
    BA Imperial Stout
    All-Grain
    5 Gallons

1.129 target Original Gravity
    1.095 target Pre-Boil Gravity (7.5 gal)
    1.030 target Final Gravity
    60 IBU
    70+ SRM
    13% ABV

72% Mash Efficiency Target

Grain Bill:
    18.25 lb 2-Row
    5.75 lb Munich (10L)
    1.25 lb caramel/crystal 60L
    1.25 lb Chocolate Malt
    1.25 lb Roasted Barley
    .75 lb Black Printz (Debittered Black Malt)
    Dark Liquid Malt Extract (if pre-boil gravity missed) at 60 min

Hop Bill:
    50 IBU Magnum (approx 1.5 oz) at 60 min
    10 IBU Willamette (approx 1 oz) at 30 min
    1 oz Willamette at flame out

Additional:
    .5 tsp Yeast Nutrient at 15 min
    Bourbon soaked oak spiral (4-8 oz bourbon, 6 inch American medium charred oak spiral, soaked for at least a month before adding, longer is better)

Yeast:
    Wyeast 1056 American Ale (use a starter, calculate volume online)
    cbc1 (for/if bottling)

Process:
    Mash at 155F for 60 min with 33qt (1.1:1 ratio, very thick mash)
    Fly sparge with 5.5 gal at 168F (no mash-out, fly sparge with more if collecting second runnings)
    Collect 7.5 gal first runnings (may collect second runnings for a second low ABV stout)
    Check pre-boil gravity and calculate LME amount using online calculator (if target missed)
    Boil for 4 hours (240 min) with hop and yeast nutrient additions (and LME if needed)
    Cool to 66 and pitch yeast
    Ferment low until primary fermentation completes, allow to rise for diacetyl rest
    Transfer to secondary with bourbon and oak spiral
    Age to flavor with oak spiral taking into consideration that the oak flavor will mellow with time.
    Age without oak for spiral at least 6 months.
    Keg or add dry yeast and bottle

#1 adamranders, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    CADETS3, dpuller and Lukass like this.
  2. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

4 hour boil?? damn, I'd need a bigger boil kettle. The boil-off rate on my kettle is like 1.5 gal/hr (thin kettle). If I try this I'll probably have to shoot for more like a 120 min boil. I can see that being sufficient enough.. sounds like a tasty recipe though

3. cantak

cantak Devotee (360) Oct 10, 2012 Minnesota

Did you get this from Grit and Grain #6? They posted the grain bill and IBU, OG, etc in that episode.

4. adamranders

yeah, the grain bill proportions and other data is from that video (and a BYO article from a while back, and a few other sources), still working out the grain bill volume though, may have to edit this as time goes on a bit. They say it's a first runnings beer, this recipe hits the numbers in beersmith but there is no way (that i know of) to calculate what the first runnings OG will be as opposed to the total sparge volume OG. I may have to bump the bill numbers 10-20% or so to get the right OG.

5. adamranders

The 4 hour boil I think is for them due to a 2.655:1 WTG ratio! (not sure the first runnings volume used though) But it would also cause a lot of caramelisation/maillard reaction, which would be a noticeable part of the final flavor I would assume, so i left it in. If you cannot reduce your boil off rate I would suggest to collect the second runnings in a second kettle (maybe heat along side), and add some to the main kettle as needed for volume. Just make sure you maintain boil while making additions, or add boil time to compensate.

Lukass likes this.
  6. Doomsayer52

Doomsayer52 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 California

This looks awesome. I think I will brew this in February/March so it can be ready by the Holidays.

7. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I can't imagine that grain bill would fit in any 10 gallon cooler mash tun with room for water as well.

8. adamranders

It will just fit a 12 gallon mash tun, hence the thick(1.1:1) mash

9. LimitlessBrewing88

LimitlessBrewing88 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2015 Illinois

I wouldn't skip the 4 hour boil. This is not only necessary to reach the correct post boil volume/gavity (w/out using sugar/dme) but it also produces caramelization you otherwise would not get. Also, the 2.65 liquor:grist is NOT in quarts:lbs, it's lbs of water to lbs of grain - in this case 2.65 lbs of water to 1 lb of grain would equate to about 1.25 qts:lb of grain. While it is a "first runnings" beer you DO sparge.. as soon as the runnings begin to dip, you stop. The sparge water is therefore used to "push" or displace the first runnings out of the mash.

There will also be a significant drop in efficiency - if you're looking for 5 gallons to package.. I'd shoot for 5.75 gallon batch size (to fermenter) minimum and a efficiency 15-20% less than your regular efficiency (if your 5-7% ABV beers come in at 74% BHE% then I'd assume 55-60%). I'd shoot low and hope it's better.

With that said this is what my base recipe would look like (based on the brew log shown in grit & grain):
    26lbs...........2-row
    7.25lbs........bon. munich
    1.5lbs..........briess c-60
    1.5lbs..........briess chocolate 350L
    1.5lbs..........briess roasted barley
    .75lbs..........Black Prinze per GI website however the log did say "Black Malt"...

Hops wont play to big a role, but I'd do something like this:
    1.65oz Germ. Northern Brewer @ 60 - for 42 IBUs
    1.5oz Willamette - @ 20 - for 15 IBUs
    1oz Willamette - @ 5 - for 3 IBUs

12.3 gallons in mash to achieve 155F
    4.1 gallon sparge at 168F
    11.5 gallon preboil vol.
    1.070 sg preboil gravity
    boil 4 hours (1.25 gallon per hour boil off)
    6.5 gallon post boil
    1.129 OG
    5.75 gallon to fermenter (.75 gallon loss in cooling and trub)
    Ferment 68-70 with a english yeast (1968/002) to turn that munich into all the prune/raisin character that's found in bcs and age to taste.

10. Christopher808

Christopher808 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2015 Michigan

OP Is there anyway for those of with a 10 gallon cooler Mash tun to compensate? Or adjust the recipe to make this work? I would love to make a BCBS Clone, I had the worst luck aquiring BCBS this year. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in Advance!

11. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

Yes, there is, you just have to give up some final volume. I have a 10 gallon mash tun, and in order to get the lid on, I can mash about 23 lbs grain total, mashed thick at 1:1. Scale the malt down to that total and be prepared to boil down to about 3.5-4 gallons net into your bucket. You will make your target OG with those compromises.

12. Christopher808

Christopher808 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2015 Michigan

Thanks! Did you by chance save the amounts you used? Specifically grain bills and water?

13. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

I actually did a batch of a completely different beer, so my grain bill won't help, but when looking over this thread I remembered that my OG after chilling the wort was 1.129, the exact same as the target for this recipe. I double checked my notes, and I got 23 lbs of grain into my 10 gallon cooler with 23 quarts of mash water. I sparged to net 9 gallons pre-boil, and did a three hour boil.

Based on all of that, if I tried this recipe I would scale the grains to a total of 23 lbs again, as I know that is all that's going in there, even mashing thick. You will also need to mash it in bit by bit, as you are working with no spare head space at the end.

Christopher808 likes this.
  14. thampel09

thampel09 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I noticed the hop additions are written as if the boil was 60 minutes. With that said, are the hops added right away (normally 60 minute batch), then 30 minutes after, with flame out retaining as flame out, because even though the hops won't play a huge role, I think a 3 hour difference could impact bittering and/or flavor and/or aroma. Alternatively, are the hops added after the initial 3 hour boil reserving the last hour for hop additions?

I was also wondering if you had a striking temperature recommendation. I know grain temperature, mash tun temperature, etc. plays a role, but I thought I'd ask to get a relative idea. Thanks!

15. adamranders

Hop additions are for time remaining of boil

16. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

Oddly enough- their bottles say there is wheat present... Curious if they left out some grains or used it as a generic warning for the mills having some left overs possibly.

17. adamranders

I would assume generic warning, unless they clean the mill and whatever method they use to transport the grist to the tun every time

18. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

Mash twice

19. adamranders

Brewed this a while back but forgot to update here so now I will.

Followed details for mash as in my recipe, built water from distilled. Hit first runnings pre boil O.G. nearly on the head, about 4 points short. Also collected second runnings at about 1.030. Calculated and added LME addition to correct for missing points. Had higher boil of rate than usual, opted to use some second runnings to maintain target volume. Final O.G. going into fermentor was 1.146, if the target F.G. is still reached will be about 15.25% (doh, considering thinning with boiled distilled water at some point before bottling. Next time I'll top off with pure water). Threw the entire remaining LME into second runnings batch, final volume of about 3 gallons into fermentor at 1.094, should end up around 9.5%. Aging primary batch on 6 month bourbon soaked oak spirals per recipe. Aging secondary batch on 7 split, scrapped and brandy soaked vanilla beans. Hoping for something like a brandy version of Avery vanilla bean.

telejunkie likes this.
  20. RUN-4-B33R

RUN-4-B33R Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2015 North Carolina

As someone who only has a 1 gallon setup, how long should the boil be if I broke the grain bill down for a 1 gallon batch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.