1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

“You can have the best beer, but a label is what sells the product,”

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sandiego67, Jul 20, 2012.

1. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

That's got to be some old ass Hoptimum. How'd it taste? I saw some pretty dated Hoptimum on the shelf a while back and skipped it because I figured its hops would be sad ghosts. Figured I'd catch it fresher next year.
  2. Flying Dog makes some great beers, but the packages are seriously ugly. It looks like someone vomited all over them.
    TinCup69 likes this.
  3. aubuc1

aubuc1 Savant (370) Florida Dec 19, 2007

I think that a label has some effect on the experience for most people. I might be deciding between two great IPA's, and the "cool" label might sway me subconsciously. We are not robots; sometimes we cannot control which sense controls our emotions.
  4. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, BCBS, ZD, Rochefort, etc., yeah, I buy those because of the label, right.
    SawDog505 likes this.
  5. How many of us would prefer every beer we buy to be white label with black lettering that reads BEER. No, labels do not make great beer, but they make great beer aesthetically pleasing, and that's a great thing.

*edit: waiting for "But yeah, so-and-so beer is garbage but the label looks good" comment. you know what i mean. artwork matters
  6. Disagree. Their labels and pretty extreme standardization works very well and plays to their ideals of being a Wisconsin only, "purist" approach and beers. When you see a New Glarus bottle, regardless of which beer it is, you IMMEDIATELY know it's a New Glarus beer and you know which line/series of beer it's from.

Standard 12oz bottle: Regular release or seasonal brew.
    Foiled 12oz bottle: A Thumbprint (or Unplugged) beer.
    500ml stubby bottle: R&D Series (kind of an outlier, seeing as how it's not in stores).
    Waxed 750ml bottle: One of their fruit beers.

You could see a low-res photo of lineup of twenty bottles and while you may not know exactly what beers they are, you'd immediately know they were New Glarus and you'd know what line/series. When I'm back in Wisconsin, my eyes are immediately looking for those plain tan and green six pack holders and card boxes and I get excited to then check out which beers they are. I actually think they do a great job with their branding in general.
    johzac and MarcatGSB like this.
  7. And before I was married I dated a lot of pretty packages until I discovered what was on the inside (which matters more than anything) and then they were drain pours.
  8. To sort of expand on what others were saying, the thing with beers like Westvleteren 12, Rochefort and St Bernardus is that while their labels (or lack there of) may not over the top cutting edge design, that's what makes the packaging great. The labels speak to the beer itself and reinforce the image of monks toiling away making that beer and harken to a different time. Anything else just wouldn't be right.

I think Stone is doing a GREAT job with their designs lately. In the past, I think they've been lacking in some ways, but they've stepped it up. Their recent collaboration designs are a great example of them doing it right, IMO. Again, pretty simple and almost a template (like NG), but you immediately know it's a Stone collaboration and can see a clear difference between each of the individual collaborations. By having the logos of each brewery in the same area, you can quickly find that, too. Plus they're just pretty great looking.

Point is, labels/packaging most certainly has a large impact in many ways, whether or not you notice or care to admit it (I am a little biased, though). If done right, you can see a beer and know things about it without knowing anything about the brewery or reading a single detail on the label.

Lost Abbey is actually a good example of this, though, I don't care for their labels (especially some of the recent Track artwork, as mentioned). But, by having their corked/caged bottles, their standardized, unusual shaped label and the name itself, you already know they're Belgian style beers, there's an implication of high quality beer inside and you know it's a Lost Abbey beer.

Side note: Almanac's recent designs are strong enough that they make me want to try the beers, even though I know nothing about them. I can't help but want to like the beer.
  9. I couldn't care less about the label.
    SawDog505 likes this.
  10. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I have to admit even though I've advanced enough to know its not about what's on the label, flashy labels do catch my eye and at the very least makes me take a closer look at it which brings me one step closer to buying it.

Dare you to say that's stupid to a 1990's Walken in person. I dare you.
    gcamparone likes this.
  11. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Disagree... murd'd out stout. Westy. Dfh 60, 90, 120, wws. brooklyn black chocolate stout. Raspy. Countless others.
  12. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Oh. And pliny
  13. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

depends on whether the consumer has any beer knowledge.
  14. Personally, I pack away an empty bottle of anything new I try, so sometimes I like to have a nice label/bottle design.

I have heard stories of large spikes in Arcadia sales after package changes a few years ago. If those stories are to be believed they may say something about what consumers look for.
  15. Etched bottles are my favorite. But some of the best beers I've had are in plain ish bottles. But that's better for us who know so the random shopper will grab the fanciest looking bottle.
  16. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

every idiot knows rarity is what sells the product
  17. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

I actually didn't know that.
  18. I didn't know you didn't know :eek:
  19. I didn't purchase Stone for so many years, because I thought the bottle looked cheap. Huge mistake and I will never discriminate again.
    VonZipper likes this.
  20. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

I think that the best label thing only applies to the uninitiated. I usually check ba on my phone if i have a question on something I haven't seen before. It is awesome when a good beer has great art.
  21. Three Floyds and Jester King have the whole package
    VonZipper likes this.
  22. Westy has a certain plainness of appearance that is fitting for a beer brewed to support a monastery and not for profit. Not that the monks think of branding, but the look really does fit the story well. DFH 60, 90, and 120 are simple but attractive, and I really love the shark logo. There is very unified look to most of their year round and seasonal offerings as well as WWS, and their one-offs always have beautiful, artsy labels that catch the eye. Brooklyn Black Chocolate has the attractive Brooklyn logo on a field of little stars, a classy script font, and an eyecatching gold and white on black colour scheme.

23. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

The guy makes labels for a brewer that can't seem to consistently produce properly carbonated and uninfected beers. I find this funny.
  24. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Being a graphic designer in one of my lines of work, I naturally gravitate towards a good looking presentation when scanning the shelves. That being said, I don't base my purchase on that alone, but many that don't know better will. Look at the crisp design of a GI bottle that screams high end quality, then look at the bottle that uses Comic Sans as their logo font and you tell me which one is going to get more appeal.
    imbrue001 likes this.
  25. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

More crucially, I think their labels are nothing to crow about.
  26. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I really wish Americans would get away from the whole idea that image sells products....I mean, it does to an extent, but I think the craft beer movement (or really any grassroots movement that is based on quality products...for example, a ton of music) has proven that people only care about the product inside the packaging. Honestly I dont think I've ever looked at a beer label and said "Wow I want to try this!". Usually the only thing i look at the label for is to figure out what style of beer it is.
  27. My first craft brew, many moons ago, was a flying dog, due to the Steadman artwork. Cheers
    CerealKillerKP and Hotmetal1 like this.
  28. Do you ever read the labels? Look for a description of the beer, what exotic ingredients it contains, the breweries description of the flavour profile, a story behind why the beer was made or how the brewery was founded. That's all on the label, and it's all part of the image the brewery wants to present. It's all branding and marketing.

Momar42 likes this.
  29. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Lagunitas soars at this. For example, their is no substitute for Brown Shuggah.
  30. Real Ale's Devil's Backbone just changed the artwork on the label and I hate it. It was the first craft beer I had and what converted me. I love the shit out of the beer but hate looking at the bottle. If I had never had it before I'd probably not try it.
    They also just came out with a new beer series that I really like a lot and I like the packaging. http://brewerscut.com/home

It makes a difference for sure.
  31. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

I usually enjoy the look of a screen-printed bottle.
    LostTraveler likes this.
  32. Labels are everything. Why spend all that time/effort/money into starting a brewery and creating great beer just to then put your product in some lame package? Whats it cost to find a designer.. a couple hundred to a few thousand? I mean, its a no brainer. And yeah, I get it, the name of the game is to stand out in the crowd. That may be difficult. Breweries should strive to do that anyway.

Lets take Maine Beer Co. for example. The first time they landed in my store, I noticed. I though it was just some generic crap and I passed over it. White labels, stick figure artwork, strange sized bottles...whatever, neeeext. Then people started talking about them on sites like BA and I did my homework. Turns out the beer inside is supposed to be really good. Hmmm so the cheapest (Peeper) is $5.99. Wow that's a lot for a pale ale. Ok I'll try it once. MMmmm, this is good..and look the label is not really white, its more like a pearlescent ivory. :p So it turns out they aren't really generic beer makers, just maybe a bit pretentious. And probably hipsters. That's my honest conclusion based on experience. It now taints my desire to try some of their other (albeit supposed) good beer. Make a different style of label/bottle and my perception would probably be different.
    Brutalism_X likes this.
  33. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

If I was in a beer store, about to choose between two beers of the same style, price, ABV etc and one had a cool label where the other had just some letters on it, I would certainly go for the cool labeled beer. In fact, this happens quite often, as I tend to pass on the highly acclaimed beers of De Molen brewery (simple labels) in favour of other beers with more eye catchy labels. Well, that and the price too.
  34. Disagree. Many times I've bought a beer because of a cool label or name and regretted it. It was early in my beer journey so I don't recall any names to name but avoiding stuff made to look flashy became a rule of mine unless I knew more about the brewery or loved the style. On the the flipside, I picked up a Hoptimus Prime the other based on name and loved it so its not a perfect rule.

And then there's stuff like Maine Beer's Zoe which is so awesome that the only label needed is essentially and all white band with the name probably a 14 font smiley face. I feel like in this community a good beer will sell itself and flashy labels are something to be wary of.
  35. Can't get a more gerneric lable but a fine beer.
    [​IMG]
  36. Tasting and word of mouth aside, most goods in our society are sold as the result of clever marketing and unique branding, which is more often than not primary in focus in regards to the actual technology/application of said product. Everything else being equal, the most enticing label will sell the product.

In regards to Russian River labeling, I never thought it was ugly, but rather just understated. However the first thought I had when I first started randomly purchasing beer was, "well, if the label art sucks the contents can't be that much better!"
  37. dglgmut

dglgmut Zealot (95) New Jersey Jul 12, 2012

As someone who works in beer retail, I would unfortunately have to agree with this. The majority of people will buy beer (and wine) mostly becuase the label is appealing. Unless I hand sell them something, anyone who is looking for something new will usually buy something with an attractive label. Of course, this doesn't really apply to the big beer geeks, but on average this is true.
  38. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Think this hits the nail on the head. A flashy label, regardless of the quality of the contents, will appeal to people who are new to craft or remain in that phase. Would you have tried Zoe when you first started? No - wouldnt even notice it on the shelf, right?Cheap looking label that doesnt catch the eye means a poor product as you said. But personally, while I like the label art and much of it is awesome, I find an understated, simple label elegant in a way. Either way is no guarantee, as most of us learn.

Frankly I am surprised at the high quality of the a lot of craft beer labels. They are ridiculously expensive and some of them look pretty difficult to apply.
  39. I'm going to have to differ with you on the generic-ness of the label. They typefaces used are pretty novel, and the label itself is clearly designed to evoke some olde-tyme idea of a tonic or provision. And the face that there are blanks filled in with a "typewriter" (not to mention the wax) imply that it's fairly limited brew.

If something is branded well, everything is intentional.
    LeRose and Hotmetal1 like this.
  40. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

The only thing I look at sometimes is what style it is, which I think is required by law to be there, no?