1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

“You can have the best beer, but a label is what sells the product,”

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sandiego67, Jul 20, 2012.

1. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I just pour it in the glass half the time I have no glasses on and I cannot read the label anyway.
  2. I think we can agree on that it's an excellent beer so it doesn't really matter what the bottle looks like.
    azorie likes this.
  3. I'm sure it's been said multiple times, but you're getting hung up on the word "label". The packaging of Westvleteren's beers absolutely contribute to their "mystique" and reputation.
  4. azorie

they used to have a label, now they do not. I am not hung up, I was just answering the question. Besides do you not detect the humor in the end thread part? or so I have to include this everytime?:D
  5. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

US law required the Westy that was sold here on 12/12/12 to have a label (or info about what's in the bottle, a la Stone's etched bottles).

The Westy that's sold at the Abbey does not have a label.

Westy US Label

[​IMG]
    Premo88 likes this.
  6. beckmn1

beckmn1 Aficionado (120) Oklahoma Sep 26, 2003

Mixed feelings on this one. While in a store looking for a new beer that I haven't tried, a label can catch my eye. I have bought beers based on the design of the label (assuming its a style of beer that I like).

But in the end, a beer lives or dies by the quality of the beer itself. The core Dogfish Head beers having boring labels. So does the Chimay lineup and a number or great beers.

So labels can help attract attention, but over the long run, it's what's in the bottle that'll keep it on the shelves.
  7. honestly labels mean nothing to me. I hear about a beer, I buy and look at the label as I'm drinking it.
  8. azorie

yes I know all that. It had a label IN BELGIUM at one time.
  9. Buzzardsuds

Buzzardsuds Initiate (0) Ohio May 27, 2013

Great point! Pliny and Alesmith IPA do just fine, cause of what's in the bottle, not cause of the label!
  10. BethanyB

BethanyB Savant (320) New Jersey Jun 20, 2013

I've had enough good beers with "bad" labels and bad beers with "good" labels to be able to honestly say I no longer even consider the labels. Now I just shop by recommendations, knowledge of brewery quality/reputation, etc.
    GoGators likes this.
  11. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (435) Illinois May 17, 2013

The label would convince me to buy a beer, but the beer itself is what would make me a repeat customer. Put a naked Jessica Alba on the worst beer in the world, and I may not buy it twice, but I will damn sure ponder it every time I see it in the store, though.
    Kyrojack likes this.
  12. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

The package sells the beer the first time.

Repeat sales are based on the product inside the package.

So, to answer your question, pretty damn important.
    EllisDTripp and chefkevlar like this.
  13. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Savant (275) Alabama Jun 1, 2014

If y'all can find me one with a kitten on the label I will buy it.
    Premo88 and Roguer like this.
  14. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (235) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

To-øl.
  15. Hendry

Hendry Savant (405) Vermont Mar 8, 2013

It is more the self aggrandizing descriptions on the bottle the have drawn me in than the artwork, and I've learned that the description of "balanced" IPAs are generally ones to avoid: give me hops till I drop!
  16. Vogt52

Vogt52 Savant (475) Maryland May 25, 2014

I've had plenty of beers with boring/generic labels that are amazing, and I have found that some breweries spend more time on their labels/marketing than the quality of their beer. Don't judge a beer by its label haha.
    Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  17. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Savant (275) Missouri Dec 8, 2013

I agree with Dominguez
  18. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Savant (315) Texas Jul 28, 2013

Jester King...great beers and really cool labels. The best of both worlds.