1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

01'-02' Stone IRS

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by EgadBananas, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Are there any known bottles out there? I'm curious if completing my vertical is in some sort of realm of plausible. And if so, what would something like that take to acquire?

Cheers.

2. Rathakem

Rathakem Aficionado (235) Oregon Apr 1, 2012

I drank my '02 few months ago. Was WAY past its prime, very soy sauce.

3. 01 should be easier to get, stone released a couple hundred bottles of it about 5 years ago.

4. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

One word of caution. I've noticed many most BA's idea of "Cellaring" is to keep beers in a 68 degree closet in their apartment. With the example of the "Soy" bottle from 2002 that was mentioned, it's hard to argue that an "apartment" bottle wouldn't have different results than a properly cellared bottle. We're talking about 10-11 years after-all. Was a bottle shipped cross country 4 times in the summer, etc.

If 10+ other people chime in on how the 02's are holding up, and there is a consensus, then you've got something to work with.

This isn't a shot at that Rathakem guy, as I'm sure he's about to tell me all about how he bought that bottle personally in 02', and rents cellar space, etc....

5. I agree. I keep my cellar in fridges in the garage though. It gets far to hot here in Louisiana. While they're not at a perfect 55, it is closer to 50, which should be much more ideal by comparison to a closet.

6. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

I traded some dissident/abyss for a 2001 IRS plus a couple of locals last year. It was certainly past its prime. Not too soy-saucy per se, but overly oxidized without much character left. That said, I can only assume it was aged in someones closet at worst, fridge at best. There are easy enough to get bottles out there, but your biggest challenge will be finding something thats been "properly cellared".