1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

1 beer to cellar almost forever

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by anteater, Jul 29, 2013.

1. anteater

anteater Advocate (640) Oregon Sep 10, 2012

So I had the opportunity to chat with the owner of a truly excellent beer bar and restaurant. He mentioned that he had a 1993 Cantillon Gueuze in his cellar.

This got me thinking... if I want to have a 20 year old version of any beer I better get it soon so I don't have to wait even longer. I'm 23 right now and I like the idea of holding onto something very special for a very long time. Not forever, but maybe in 20+ years for a very special occasion.

So my question is what beer would you buy right now to hold on to for that long?

2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Gueuze. Probably 3F, but Hannsens and Cantillon hold up too, I would assume Tilquin does as well. Beersel doesn't seem to but I've only had old ones once.

Outside of gueuze either a quad (Rochefort or Bernardus are all over the place) or an English Barleywine/Old Ale, like JW Lee's.

Gosox8787 and jedwards like this.
  3. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

De Dolle might be an option. Oerbier, Stille Nacht, or the reserve versions.

Gosox8787, ant880 and jedwards like this.
  4. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Lambic is a great answer, if you like aged lambic. It changes less than many other styles, but well-aged old lambic really is sublime.

For a non-lambic answer, I absolutely second De Dolle, especially Stille Nacht. The new vintages have a great slow souring and seem to be following the path of the pre-2000 bottles, turning into a really sublime balance between sour and sweet. Other good options for aging in that timeframe include the better quads that stupac2 mentions, along with the J.W. Lee's harvest ale. I personally think that North Coast Old Stock will go the distance, though there aren't any 20-year old bottles yet... Bell's Third Coast Old Ale is another accessible American option. A few wildcards that I'm optimistic about are A. Le Coq (by Harvey & Sons), Upright Billy the Mountain, the barleywine/old ale vintages of Alesmith Decadence, and the Bruery anniversary beers.

5. anteater

anteater Advocate (640) Oregon Sep 10, 2012

Thanks for the great suggestions everybody! I actually have a few of these aging already - Hannsen's Oude Gueuze, 2006 J.W. Lee's, Rochefort 10, 120 Minute, World Wide Stout, and Bruery Bois (which says right on the label that it can be aged for decades) are all candidates for extensive aging right now.

6. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Agreed with Gueuze. I'm going to cellar a couple Cantillon 100% Gueuze from this year if I get my hands on some more. I get married this year, I graduate medical school, etc. etc. so this will be a good year to remember.

7. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (365) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

I've not had any with serious age on them but Courage imperial stout and its predecessors are routinely opened with 20 or more years on them. Ditto with Thomas Hardys. I third the JW Lees recommendations. Rochefort 10 is a beer that barely changed in 2 years for me so I could see it lasting a while.

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If your goal is to just hit the 20 year mark or more just grab a '94 or '95 Sam Adams Triple Bock. Though don't ever actually consume it on purpose.

9. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

No Thomas Hardy fans for the win on your deathbed?

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

It's great stuff, but you can't buy it anymore!

11. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I guess I should buy my liquor store out of the stuff then. :)

alex_hart, Bitterbill and jedwards like this.
  12. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (390) Nebraska Sep 24, 2012

I just graduated and will be paying back for about 20 years. Been thinking of saving a few beers for that one day when I've paid them off. Hopefully I don't end up with some oxidize mess.

CassinoNorth likes this.
  13. TNGabe

I think Rochefort 10 goes downhill after 5ish years. Not that I've aged cases, but the couple I've had that old have been too old.

14. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I haven't had any Hotd that old but the 2008 and 2009 Fred From the Wood I had recently were fantastic. The brewer claims that Adam and Fred will age for the long haul.

15. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (385) California Oct 20, 2006

I had a six year old Adam a few years ago and it was delicious. I meant to hold on to one for a decade, but I think I accidentally sent it as an extra right around that ten year mark.

16. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Sam Adams Utopia - I hope I can find one very soon!

17. I've had 7 year old Rochefort 10s that were pretty damn good. If that's downhill, I wanna be at the bottom.

18. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

alex_hart, Bitterbill, Treebs and 2 others like this.
  19. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

No beer you can cellar forever. Even very old Cantillon/3F show oxidization and cardboard flavor. Especially the cork didn't hold that well and it's very hard to take all the crumbles out. I had the 05 Cantillon Gueuze last week and it's one of the best. I'd say 8-10 years are the best for gueuze.

20. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I plan on some long term for old stock, 120, Wws and Bigfoot.

jedwards likes this.
  21. Hotd adam is a champ. I had an 03 bottle about 2 years ago, and it was superb. All tobacco and leather.

22. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Dogfish Head Fort, tried a 5 year old and automatically thought it go for another 5 years

23. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Due to wedding leftovers, I will likely have Storm King cellared for a decade or 2. It will be interesting to see how it goes over the course of time. At 6 months it was gross, but I find most hoppy stouts and barleywines go through a gross time at 6 months to a year as they take on a stale hops flavor due to hoppyness that has partially faded to the point that the beer is all out of whack.

24. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (715) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

I've got a similar plan - 4 years, 3 months to go. That, and I plan on taking my loan payment for the following month and doing an open bar for some close friends - $800 should go pretty far and I don't have that many close friends ;)

alex_hart likes this.
  25. CowsandBeer

I promise I learned how to proofread in college.
    I heard Rodenbach will last a few years, so I need to pick up some bottles.

Do it man! Isn't it awesome what you can do with the money you use for student loans?

Jwale73 likes this.
  26. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (715) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

It certainly is, but I have to say that if I didn't make the investment I did in my education, I probably couldn't have been able to try so many quality beers, among other things.

alex_hart and CowsandBeer like this.
  27. Corbet

Corbet Savant (340) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I should track down a 1987 Gueuze to drink on my deathbed (I was born in 1987).

28. The Brewery annual Solera beers: Cuir, Fruet, Bois, these are the beers that I am just going to hold onto and pick up every year, It's going to be a pretty epic day when I pop a 20+ year old Fruet...

anteater likes this.
  29. Skull40

Skull40 Savant (250) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

Bell's Expedition Stout

Skrypt likes this.
  30. PerHops

PerHops Savant (340) California Apr 5, 2011

It's funny that you say that. I was about to open an expedition today that I've had for about a year. I then decided it would be one that I put in the deepest corner and forget about for a decade or more!

Bigtwin likes this.
  31. Skrypt

Skrypt Savant (365) Florida Mar 8, 2010

The longest cellared bottle in my collection is an Expedition Stout.

32. Yeah, gueuze is a beer style that has a reputation for cellaring longevity. I have heard of Gueuze that ages well for 20 yrs!!!! And i cant recall, but I had a bottle of Gueuze that says on the label ages well for up to 20 years. Another option would be Sam Adams Utopias if you prefer high ABV. Since Utopias is flat or still in regaurds to carbonation it will hold up for a very long time and develop complexities along the way.

33. Adam is a great recommendation as well. Along with alot of the HotD line up. Allan Spirits brews all his beers to cellar.

34. C_Roetting

C_Roetting Savant (250) Kentucky Aug 28, 2013

You will be risking oxidation, but a celebration beer for something really big can be worth the risk.

I would suggest beers with high ABV and low hop profiles (JW Lee's, Thomas Hardy's if you can find it, Courage, Solera series; all fantastic suggestions from people), and also sours (Lambic and Geuze in particular). Maybe pick up another bottle of it every few years (3-5 years maybe). This way if the really old ones suffer from oxidation or something else, you still have some others to open. Could also make for an interesting vertical.

35. love blue dot around 5 years.

ruth not until about 10.

UCLABrewN84 likes this.
  36. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I'd say geuze really hit's it's stride around 30-35 years. Needs to be properly stored at the right temperatures, and it needs to be in a keg.

37. BlackNote

BlackNote Savant (345) Michigan Apr 5, 2013

38. TNGabe

Rodenbach is now pasteurized and no longer good for aging.

39. CowsandBeer

I had heard that Alexander lasted a good while. Google tells me it's no longer made, though. Bummer!

40. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Bell's Expedition and Third Coast Old Ale are both tremendous as they approach 20 years old.